• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Obama: "I will sign a law that raises taxes on the wealthiest 2% of Americans...while preventing a middle-class tax hike"

Calling out norquist

Sucks about the payroll tax cut, but I respect that Pelosi and Reid don't WANT it extended. I get that it was a stimulative temporary measure, but with these nuts in the congressional GOP, I want to not fuck with with any sort of Social Security funding mechanism as possible. Any small thing could be used to start "reforming" (i.e., gutting) the program.

edit: Climate Change!!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sucks about the payroll tax cut, but I respect that Pelosi and Reid don't WANT it extended. I get that it was a stimulative temporary measure, but with these nuts in the congressional GOP, I want to not fuck with with any sort of Social Security funding mechanism as possible. Any small thing could be used to start "reforming" (i.e., gutting) the program.

Yeah, the payroll thing only really frustrates me personally because it screws over my family since my father is self employed.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I always love how reporters always try to yell out questions as a person is leaving the room.

Chichikov

I missed it. What exactly did he say?
"I will not have another debate with this congress over whether or not they should pay the bills that they already racked up with the laws that they passed. Let me repeat, we can't not pay bills that we already incur, if congress refuses to give the US government the ability to pay those bills on time the consequences for the entire global economy will be catastrophic, far worse than the impact of the fiscal cliff".

"I will not have another debate with this congress over whether or not they should pay the bills that they already racked up with the laws that they passed. Let me repeat, we can't not pay bills that we already incur, if congress refuses to give the US government the ability to pay those bills on time the consequences for the entire global economy will be catastrophic, far worse than the impact of the fiscal cliff".

Full Quote is even better!

Where you at PD!? WHERE YOU AT, SON!?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He said the same thing about Medicare he always says – save the program money by reducing the cost of health care. What is wrong with that?

Yeah, that's always been the right way to frame it, and if the Republicans weren't absolutely nuts right now that's exactly what a forward-thinking "party of fiscal conservatism" should be for.

Tim-E

He said the same thing about Medicare he always says – save the program money by reducing the cost of health care. What is wrong with that?

Yep. That, and the "reduce the deficit" stuff are things he's been saying for years. I don't see why people think he's suddenly throwing something new into the ring.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Velshi is going in on Cole.

Cole is just coming off as a confused old grandpa. In what universe was this whole thing not done at the last minute? I normally don't like Velshi, but I love him when he starts on the whole debt ceiling and that sort of stuff.

Clevinger

Because he's offered both Medicare and Social Security cuts when he didn't need to, and he's not likely to stop now. He can sugercoat it all he wants with "without hurting seniors" or "reducing costs of health care" but the things he's been willing to give (chained CPI, raising Medicare age), his actions and not his words, will most definitely hurt seniors.

It's only been the GOP's batshit insanity and inability to see a good deal that's saved us from those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom