• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone has to save the democrat party from the tarnishing it has had over the last few years.
There are 272 electoral votes that are solidly in the Democrats' column thanks to Obama's party-building.

I mean it's not like Democrats could nominate anyone but the party hardly needs saving.

FyreWulff

The Dems need to constantly assume they're going to lose all their seats.

They've given up seats they could have won because they pull resources off them to protect seats they're never going to lose.

If they don't, the GOP could easily just do the 50 state strategy the Dems had for 2008 and stage a huge comeback while Dems take things easy.

While much of the current situation of the party can be blamed on Obama's choice of Health Care over the Economy and endless searches for "Bipartisianship" which is code for right-wing solutions I think Obama's greatest achievement will be building the party into the multi constituencies it is today. His work really made women, latinos, youth part of the base and moved us past the DLC type rhetoric on the campaign trail which will work its way into politics. A Hilary presidency will have to thank Obama, without his work especially 2012 onward she'd not be the favorite she is.
I think Obama's greatest achievement will be the advancement of gay rights. He got rid of DADT and he endorsed gay marriage. That leadership has changed a lot of people that voted for him. Marriage equality has been sweeping across the country. And among young people, the GOP look like a bunch of old fuddy duddies that are on the wrong side of history.

Now 2014 won't be a great election for the Dems because which seats are up and Dems are too lazy to get to the polls on non-presidential election years. But for the long game, this is big. If the GOP wins big in 2014 and sends endless anti-abortion bills and repeal Obamacare bills to Obama, he'll just veto them all and the Dems will win big in 2016.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm p sure what's going to kill his campaign in 2016 is going to be people finding out all the crazy true believer stuff he believes in.

Cruz's campaign is already dead. He's just going to be a fundraiser I'm thinking. He has that "congressman" look to him that just doesn't translate to President. The Paul Ryan look. where nobody would buy seriousness.

Is anybody else disappointed in the new 538? The articles lack any context or real value. Its just a bunch of numbers which don't really say much.

I'm hoping VOX will be a bit better. The NYT Upshot looks good to I like a lot of the writers there.

I think Obama's greatest achievement will be the advancement of gay rights. He got rid of DADT and he endorsed gay marriage. That leadership has changed a lot of people that voted for him. Marriage equality has been sweeping across the country. And among young people, the GOP look like a bunch of old fuddy duddies that are on the wrong side of history.

As much as people like to hate on Obama for being rightwing on economic policy or at least framing it that way I think he did shift the conversation leftward. Republicans are now having to defending not raising the minimum wage, defend inequality, why gay people deserve to be discriminated against, why we should invade more countries, defend the Koch bros, why rich people should lower their taxes. We're not anymore talking about how to increase GDP by lowering rich peoples taxes, we're talking about how to lower college costs, how to raise wages, how to better job education, how to lower health care costs with government intervention.

What issue are republicans truly playing offence on?

Now 2014 won't be a great election for the Dems because which seats are up and Dems are too lazy to get to the polls on non-presidential election years. But for the long game, this is big. If the GOP wins big in 2014 and sends endless anti-abortion bills and repeal Obamacare bills to Obama, he'll just veto them all and the Dems will win big in 2016.
I still think the media reaction to Obama's endorsement of gay marriage was hilarious. You went from smug Fox News anchors/concern trolls proclaiming that the black and Hispanic communities would see it as a betrayal while it would shore up Romney's support among white people.

Then the next round of polls started coming in and the only effect it had was getting more people to support gay marriage.

I live for the cynicism in the mainstream media to be so thoroughly defeated. So as you can imagine election night in 2012 was particularly delicious.

I have one more question: Does anybody have the chart or data of the average hours worked per income quintile? All I can find is Heritage's and I don't trust it because its...Heritage's.

It's owned by ESPN. What else did you expect?

Grantland is not bad. But Nate really seems to believe number can solve everything. I pin this on Nate and his writing staff. I don't think ESPN is preventing him from writing better articles.

I just see a headline which promises a cool story and I see a simple graph which explains nothing.

Wonk blog just provided much more context which is the biggest thing missing from nate's site.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I normally wouldn't have thought losing the senate would be a big deal since you would think it would just be a continuation of the status quo since Jan. 2011. Except the problem with that is that Dirty Harry has kept Obama in line and prevented Obama from going too crazy giving into GOP demands. WIthout a Dem majority, Obama will be more free to caving to Republican demands just like Clinton did.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
[For years these stores of weapons-grade material were not a secret, but were lightly guarded at best; a reporter for The New York Times who visited the main storage site at Tokaimura in the early 1990s found unarmed guards and a site less-well protected than many banks. While security has improved, the stores have long been considered vulnerable.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/so-much-the-new-nuclear-arms-race

WHAT.

WHAT.

WHAT.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think that's what most people are worried about at all. Phone metadata balk collection was the first leak which started the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure things like PRISM and X-Keyscore are far more alarming, where they are actually picking up the actual content. That's the type of thing which makes Jimmy Carter say he doesn't use email, not the phone metadata. I'm guessing the NSA knows that too since on the 60 minutes defense piece they pretended the metadata was the only thing they are doing.

I mean I'm glad this is happening. It's definitely a step forward and I guess you can't expect everything to get better overnight, but the article frames it as the endgame and that's not the case whatsoever.

Sibylus

Banned
An excellent fix for metadata; third parties retain it as they do now, but no mandate to hold it for longer than they do ordinarily. Unless one is a literal "no intelligence pls" utopian, this would go as far as needed on the metadata front. Not the whole hog of bulk collection as potatoman notes, but it's great news nonetheless.

fallagin

I don't think that's what most people are worried about at all. Phone metadata balk collection was the first leak which started the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure things like PRISM and X-Keyscore are far more alarming, where they are actually picking up the actual content. That's the type of thing which makes Jimmy Carter say he doesn't use email, not the phone metadata. I'm guessing the NSA knows that too since on the 60 minutes defense piece they pretended the metadata was the only thing they are doing.

I mean I'm glad this is happening. It's definitely a step forward and I guess you can't expect everything to get better overnight, but the article frames it as the endgame and that's not the case whatsoever.

Yeah, they also need to acknowledge that more sinister shit is going on and work on that as well.

Yeah, they also need to acknowledge that more sinister shit is going on and work on that as well.

What 'more sinister stuff?'

not.jpg

Of course, but it would require a large swing in the GOP's direction.

You could have given Romney 5 extra points in every state and he'd still lose.

Some states are more elastic than others, etc.
Then again, I suspect Virginia has moved quite deeply into the Democratic column at this point.

Some states are more elastic than others, etc.
Then again, I suspect Virginia has moved quite deeply into the Democratic column at this point.
Oh sure, it's not infallible by any means. But it's a pretty large hurdle for the GOP to overcome. Booming Hispanic populations contributed to New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado turning light blue whereas a Democratic lean is more or less built into Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Iowa now. It no longer comes down to winning Ohio or Florida.

And yeah, Virginia was actually slightly (.03%) more Democratic than the nation as a whole in 2012. And the significance of McAuliffe, Herring and Northam all winning in 2013 can't be understated after the ass-whooping Creigh Deeds suffered in 2009.

Some fodder for PD:

As of March 1, 200,546 people in North Carolina signed up for private health insurance, beating the federal target for the state by 131 percent.
What a disaster! Kay Hagan is sunk!

So this is the last week to sign up on the exchanges. It seems we crossed 5.5 million and will beat the 6 million revised target on the 31st.

Oh, and the SCOTUS will hear Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

Diablos

I want to know which party will address the Dark Souls 2 downgradeton.
I want to know which party will ensure the US has an ambassador to Japan that will convince Square-Enix to move full steam ahead with Final Fantasy XV. PLEASE UNDERSTAND.

Pretty sure 'top lel' genuinely applies here. That is some legit humor.

So this is the last week to sign up on the exchanges. It seems we crossed 5.5 million and will beat the 6 million revised target on the 31st.

Oh, and the SCOTUS will hear Hobby Lobby tomorrow.
Stopped by on the way to work. I saw a lot more women's groups than religious. Not that that says anything about the case

explodet

Will corporations gain the ability to adopt a religious identity to express themselves (which will go nicely with their newfound freedom of speech through SuperPACs) or will they remain unexposed to liabilities that incorporation itself shields them from, like discrimination?

I for one, can't wait for the sharia law corporations to run rampant over America.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think they might surprise you on that one.

I agree.

To do otherwise would open the most giant can of worms I have seen in a long time. The government would be put in the position to determine what is a "sincerely held religious belief" and what constitutes a "religion." I have had to make that determination as a judge, and it is not fun at all and a giant waste of time.

Averon

How ca the court justify giving corporation full person-hood, with all the free speech rights that come with it, yet not give them religious beliefs as well? Giving them religious beliefs would just be the logical extension from giving them person-hood.

I agree.

To do otherwise would open the most giant can of worms I have seen in a long time. The government would be put in the position to determine what is a "sincerely held religious belief" and what constitutes a "religion." I have had to make that determination as a judge, and it is not fun at all and a giant waste of time.

These guys gave corporations personhood...this would just be an extension of that judgement.

zargle

Dumb, but funny KY senate race thing:

Sen. Mitch McConnell's latest campaign video hit all the necessary Kentucky high points: horse racing, bluegrass -- and Duke basketball?

The campaign was scrambling Tuesday morning to remove an online video that features a split-second clip of Duke basketball players celebrating their 2010 national championship.

The mistake comes as the basketball-crazy state of Kentucky prepares for the biggest game of the year. Kentucky and Louisville face off in the Sweet 16 on Friday night.

"The ad was intended to highlight Kentucky's basketball dominance and obviously the web ad vendor has become so accustomed to watching national championship celebrations in the bluegrass state that they made a mistake with one of the images," said McConnell spokesman Allison Moore, a Kentucky graduate. "Obviously we were horrified by the error and quickly changed it."

Duke's narrow 1992 win over Kentucky in a regional final of the NCAA tournament remains a sore spot for many Wildcats fans, and the Blue Devils are still a frequent target for their animosity.

But then we learn...

Grimes had already miffed fans by picking Wichita State to beat Kentucky in her tournament bracket. Kentucky won that game 78-76. And she picked Louisville to lose to Florida in the championship game.

Scandalous!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...d-mistakes-duke-blue-devils-kentucky-wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom