• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some idiot on MSNBC just brought up the war Powers act and Obamas constitutional authority.

Does he know the Iraq authorization is still in effect?

Not sure if anyone is paying attention, but the Ohio gubernatorial race is already over.

Associated Press: FitzGerald lacked driver's license for 4 years

What a disaster. The Ohio Democratic Party is such a fucking mess.

What really sucks is that FitzGerald is going to drag down the entire ticket. Four more years of Jon Husted and Josh Mandel. Hooray.

I'm not sure what I'm more mad about: the fact that this is going to outweigh Kasich's many policy fuckups over the last four years, or that yet again a Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Ohio commits a glaring fucking unforced error.

Amir0x

Banned
Really nice person. And whip-smart. Great poster, great mod. I aspire to be like Hito.

Yeah, it's just so... weird. I dunno. :(

election season is going to be soul crushing

i loved hearing hitokage's razor sharp wit and insight into current events :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Really nice person. And whip-smart. Great poster, great mod. I aspire to be like Hito.

Yeah, it's just so... weird. I dunno. :(

Do we know what caused it? Did he ever mention any disease or condition he had?

Amir0x

Banned
It's sounding like something like that, yeah. Sudden and out of nowhere.

Whenever someone I have shared memories with passes, I always think of the old painful verse from one of my favorite Eels songs:

and it's a hard time
trying to get through
all the days that drag on
thinking about you

nothing hurts
like someone who knows
everything about you
leaving you behind

(sorry if this is corny, but I don't have any other way to express myself about this eloquently right now. this really shook me to the core.)

Hitokage was a fellow mod and fellow ex-mod, and I had many long discussions with him. He was my go to man on all things related to astronomy. We didn't always agree, but I always knew I was out of his league. He was one of the few people to make me feel that way, and I mean that in the best possible way. I was always learning from him.

It's like one is instantly awoken to their mortality, and they know that whether they had a large experience with that person or a small experience, those memories you two shared together - whether good or ill - have now evaporated into the ether. All that exists is what is left in your own mind, fragments on a dream, and then whose to say it ever really existed at all?

Whenever someone I have shared memories with passes, I always think of the old painful verse from one of my favorite Eels songs:

and it's a hard time
trying to get through
all the days that drag on
thinking about you

nothing hurts
like someone who knows
everything about you
leaving you behind

(sorry if this is corny, but I don't have any other way to express myself about this eloquently right now. this really shook me to the core.)

Hitokage was a fellow mod and fellow ex-mod, and I had many long discussions with him. He was my go to man on all things related to astronomy. We didn't always agree, but I always knew I was out of his league. He was one of the few people to make me feel that way, and I mean that in the best possible way. I was always learning from him.

It's like one is instantly awoken to their mortality, and they know that whether they had a large experience with that person or a small experience, those memories you two shared together - whether good or ill - have now evaporated into the ether. All that exists is what is left in your own mind, fragments on a dream, and then whose to say it ever really existed at all?
Fuck, I remember him always being in the cosmos threads and answering my questions. We really lost someone good...

Diablos

Fuck. People in this age group shouldn't be dying of natural causes yet : (
Same age as me. Makes me feel even more sad. He was really smart. I didn't talk to him much but I often appreciated his insight when reading his thoughts on various things.
Also knowing he's been on GAF forever like me (actually he was around even longer) just makes me realize how much time has passed since then and how bad I feel for him and his family.
Assuming he died from natural causes/some kind of condition, he didn't deserve this...

Not to get overly emotional, but why does it always seem like people who have big hearts/who are intelligent/who have the best of intentions always die too soon?
Way too much of that has been going on. Or at least that's what it feels like.

GhaleonEB

Wow really? You and me both, brudda.

Feels bad, yo.

I turned 37 this year. When Gaborn, Scorcho and now Hitokage passed, I found myself reminded to really try to savor every day. We don't know when it's going to be all we have. Sorry for the soppy sentiment, just still very upset.

How do you guys feel about the groups that are against action in Iraq against ISIS? It's not that they have no valid points but I just don't see how ISIS is a negotiable entity. How can they be dealt with in any other way?

Amir0x

Banned
i am for stopping any action that is genocidal in nature. I am just not for any long term engagements. If we see a genocide we can stop, we should try to stop that and only that action. All other parts of the political disputes and general civil wars we should stay out of.

GhaleonEB

I lean strongly toward very limited US involvement, for similar reasons as Ami. The middle east is on fire and we can't roll in and stop it if we tried. Limited help for situations such as those stranded on the mountain are about as far as I'm comfortable taking us. I feel bad saying so but I just don't see how we can really help. We were there for a decade and this is where it got things.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I lean strongly toward very limited US involvement, for similar reasons as Ami. The middle east is on fire and we can't roll in and stop it if we tried. Limited help for situations such as those stranded on the mountain are about as far as I'm comfortable taking us. I feel bad saying so but I just don't see how we can really help. We were there for a decade and this is where it got things.

Pretty much. We can help keep the damage to a minimum but we have to let them figure it out for themselves, us interfering never ends well.

benjipwns

Banned
Yes . . . just a few pages back, Benji explained to us that it is just the Democrats talking about impeachment, not Republicans. And I learned that FDR was a fascist.
Thanks for linking to a post where I don't say anything you just claimed.

And FDR absolutely implemented the equivalent of fascist economic policy. Like I said, Alter brought it up when he mentioned the NRA. That shit was as close to fascism as you could get away with in the U.S. (And probably would have been even more blatant had the Supreme Court not taken care of it.)

Benji is in a bubble if he believes republicans haven't been talking about impeachment since he got into office. (Note to benji, don't make me dog through every instance of republicans stating to impeach Obama for the last 6 years, I'll do it if you deny it once more)
I deny that Republicans have ever talked about impeachment.

I deny that Republicans have ever talked about impeachment.

There I've finally done it once and then done it once more. Have fun.

Nah, just good old fashion freedom. He released his Canadian half into the wild when he gave up his citizen ship. The only question remains: Was his Canadian half is good half or his evil half?

Turns out his Canadian half traveled back in time and fused with me, so... let's say evil half.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I turned 37 this year. When Gaborn, Scorcho and now Hitokage passed, I found myself reminded to really try to savor every day. We don't know when it's going to be all we have. Sorry for the soppy sentiment, just still very upset.

No worries, G. We're all pretty shook up.

And to think, I spent the last week worrying about a dental procedure I might have to take soon. Stuff like this really puts things into perspective.

Only going to be 22, but this was something else I thought of when I saw the news. It's crazy how fast someone can be gone.

A family member was just hospitalized for pneumonia, sepsis, other stuff, encephalitis, fluid around the heart, etc. Glad she pulled through. That was hard enough. Can't imagine what it'd be like to lose a family member at 30 so suddenly. :(

ICKE

Banned
Russian strategic nuclear bombers conducted at least 16 incursions into northwestern U.S. air defense identification zones over the past 10 days, an unusually sharp increase in aerial penetrations, according to U.S. defense officials.

The numerous flight encounters by Tu-95 Russian Bear H bombers prompted the scrambling of U.S. jet fighters on several occasions, and come amid heightened U.S.-Russia tensions over Ukraine. Also, during one bomber incursion near Alaska, a Russian intelligence-gathering jet was detected along with the bombers.

Washingtontimes
RT

It really is shocking how things have escalated recently. Ten years ago everything seemed fine as trade was flourishing and Russia's economy was growing rapidly. Now the trade relations are in the same category with Iran, the neighboring countries in Eastern-Europe are going to face a major economic impact and apparently "cold war"- esque military exercises are back in the picture as well.

We can forget any co-operation in space related programs and both sides will once again flush a lot of money down the toilet.

oh jeez. I remember when I first joined and you were 31 (?).

o_O

Diablos

I'll be 31 soon. One thing I'll say about getting older -- it's like as soon as you near the end of your 20's you not only realize time moves much faster than before, but you are far more aware of how frail life is. For example, people who had underlying conditions they previously didn't know about or once had under control are more prone to having increased complications or possibly dying. People who have really been struggling with mental health may actually go through with doing something crazy like suicide. "Starting to get older" comes with more baggage than one may first realize when it comes to the well-being of others in your age group, and it's very depressing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It really is shocking how things have escalated recently. Ten years ago everything seemed fine as trade was flourishing and Russia's economy was growing rapidly. Now the trade relations are in the same category with Iran, the neighboring countries in Eastern-Europe are going to face a major economic impact and apparently "cold war"- esque military exercises are back in the picture as well.

We can forget any co-operation in space related programs and both sides will once again flush a lot of money down the toilet.

Any sources for this story that aren't batshit crazy?

Crisco

Banned
There can't be a new cold war with Russia because Russia isn't a super power. They are a regional power with limited influence outside of their "sphere". Obama isn't taking them seriously because they aren't to be taken seriously. Strategic bombers in our air space? The kremlin would be a smoldering husk before that were allowed to happen.

Mike M

Nick N
November 24. Evilore also has a birthday very nearby to that, he is also turning 30.

(it suggests to me that all of the old guard of GAF is starting to enter their 30s. Which is truly bizarre)
I've been on GAF since the 90's, I've been in my 30's for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom