• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprising given the nonstop media onslaught. There's still no smoking gun, however it won't matter if we get more months and months of drip drip drip (and conjecture).

There's still no motive for any of this, which makes it even more baffling. A few weeks ago I assumed Wildstein would be dropping bombs to get immunity yet that didn't happen. Kelly isn't talking either. So yeah...

My Clinton analogy continues to grow. The Comback Kid, 2016.
Meh. He's done. It doesn't matter if there is a smoking gun connecting him. It is bad enough to say that he hires sleazy people that do terrible things and he has no idea what they are doing. And the Dems won't be the ones to kill him off, it will be other GOPer presidential candidates that will knife him during the primary.

And besides the bridge story, there are Sandy Money stories, using the Port Authority as a slush-fund & patronage employment place, his brother's magical real estate wins, etc.

There is just too much there to ignore.

There's still no motive for any of this, which makes it even more baffling. A few weeks ago I assumed Wildstein would be dropping bombs to get immunity yet that didn't happen. Kelly isn't talking either. So yeah...
Wildstein and Kelly are still angling for immunity in exchange for testifying. Hearings haven't been started because the subpoenaed parties are stalling and buying time. Be assured that bombs will drop. Frankly speaking, the worst has not even begun for Christie.

gcubed

Wildstein and Kelly are still angling for immunity in exchange for testifying. Hearings haven't been started because the subpoenaed parties are stalling and buying time. Be assured that bombs will drop. Frankly speaking, the worst has not even begun for Christie.

the story is still out there because people refuse to comply with subpoena's citing the 5th for self incrimination on the documents. They will hand them over for immunity though. So you know there is shit in them...

the story is still out there because people refuse to comply with subpoena's citing the 5th for self incrimination on the documents. They will hand them over for immunity though. So you know there is shit in them...
Exactly.

I was gonna say the hurt could have been swift and gone within a few media news cycles. But since there is so much stalling (and what, 4 people pleading the 5th?), there is no doubt there is seriously incriminating shit in there.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I was reading that the Righties are howling at Obama's budget for (among other things) the proposed cuts to the Pentagon. I'm actually glad to hear some protests because while I agree that the military is full of bloat, military spending is still spending and thus there are still jobs to be gained/lost. Republicans got dangerously close to hating the troops in order to maximize pain on Obama from the sequester, so glad they're walking back a bit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I was reading that the Righties are howling at Obama's budget for (among other things) the proposed cuts to the Pentagon. I'm actually glad to hear some protests because while I agree that the military is full of bloat, military spending is still spending and thus there are still jobs to be gained/lost. Republicans got dangerously close to hating the troops in order to maximize pain on Obama from the sequester, so glad they're walking back a bit.

It is still spending, but that money would probably do a lot more good in other places.

The Pentagon budget, while huge, the 600 Billion plus we spend isn't the big issue in the grand scheme of things, it's HOW that 600 billion is spent is what we should be really focusing on.

You'd be surprised at how shitty some facilities are depsite the fact that we have nearly a trillion dollar defense budget

It is still spending, but that money would probably do a lot more good in other places.

I just wish the money cut could be reinvested in other agencies like the Department of Labour, Transportation and the EPA or some smaller agencies like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting or the Endowment for Arts & Humanities which have been dramatically cut.

But no, the only thing that will come out of this is the fact that the deficit will shrink and Obama will get to show how serious he is.

Also another thing to deal with is that Obama and Hagel will catch some serious flak if they want to close domestic bases, whatever state it is their congressional delegation will fight the closure tooth and nail. If they want to start closing bases they should start with the base in Okinawa.

Oblivion

Most definitely, but it's not like the Republicans are gonna divert that money to other job creating programs or anything, so we have to settle for this.

(CNN) - Democrat Wendy Davis outraised Republican Greg Abbott in the last month in the Texas gubernatorial to race to succeed outgoing GOP Gov. Rick Perry.

Davis' campaign announced Monday that it raised $2.85 million between January 24 and February 22, compared to Abbott's reported $2.45 million over the same period.

KingK

Yeah, Wendy Davis isn't going to win without some miracle, but the fact that she's raising so much money is very good news for building some Democrat election infrastructure in the state for future cycles as demographics make the state more Dem friendly.

Chumly

It boggles my mind how people are brain washed by big business/rich tax schemes. I had to listen to these guys talk on the other side of my cube all day long about how fair a flat tax would be with no deductions. Then they discussed how there shouldn't be a capital gains tax because it is a drag on the economy. According to them that every dollar taxed is holding our economy back somehow. Then they decided in fairness that there should be a huge usage/sales tax to fund everything (somehow this isn't a drag on the economy.....).

Yeah, Wendy Davis isn't going to win without some miracle, but the fact that she's raising so much money is very good news for building some Democrat election infrastructure in the state for future cycles as demographics make the state more Dem friendly.

Is it, though? Most of that money is coming from out the state, from liberal groups; Kos and others are really throwing big money at her.

I think she's being set up in a sense. Most liberal activists have to know she has little to no chance of winning, and that this is moreso a trial run for registering Hispanic voters.

Aaron

It boggles my mind how people are brain washed by big business/rich tax schemes. I had to listen to these guys talk on the other side of my cube all day long about how fair a flat tax would be with no deductions. Then they discussed how there shouldn't be a capital gains tax because it is a drag on the economy. According to them that every dollar taxed is holding our economy back somehow. Then they decided in fairness that there should be a huge usage/sales tax to fund everything (somehow this isn't a drag on the economy.....).
So they want rich people to keep their money, and horde it for the most part, while poor people to give even more of their money to the government until they starve to death? They think that's a stable economy? How did they pass basic math in elementary school?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Is it, though? Most of that money is coming from out the state, from liberal groups; Kos and others are really throwing big money at her.

I think she's being set up in a sense. Most liberal activists have to know she has little to no chance of winning, and that this is moreso a trial run for registering Hispanic voters.

Yeah, and there appears to be tons of money to toss around this election for both parties. 3 million is basically chump change that's worth throwing away on an experiment with a side benefit of help to the various swing district seats.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Oblivion

Wow, that state senator was WAY outclassed here.

EDIT: WOW! The Boy Scouts are under attack!

EDIT2: No one will discriminate against anyone in Arizona? This guy is high as fuck.

EDIT3: How did we get on divorce? And there's AC with the finisher.

EDIT4: OVERKILL!

Yeah, the dude was out of his league. Worst interview I've seen in a while.

Also, credit to Erin Burnett for taking Ted Nugent to the woodshed:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ted-nuge...iers-ass-thrown-out-in-bizarre-cnn-interview/

He's such a piece of shit.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's basically a "Fuck you, got mine" philosophy.

bananas

Banned
Someone was on CNN defending the Arizona bill and made the argument that it doesn't discriminate towards gay people because (and I'm paraphrasing) "someone could refuse to take photos of two straight men having a same sex marriage." So yeah.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Someone was on CNN defending the Arizona bill and made the argument that it doesn't discriminate towards gay people because (and I'm paraphrasing) "someone could refuse to take photos of two straight men having a same sex marriage." So yeah.
Or they could refuse to take photos of mixed race couples, so it wouldn't be discriminating against gay people!

She should have flat out said she would veto it as soon as the shit popped up instead of waiting for the national backlash.

The fact that the Super Bowl is being held in Arizona next year probably weighed on her mind.

If I recall correctly in 1993 the NFL moved the Super Bowl from Arizona to California because of their refusal to recognize MLK day.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
At least FYIGM is something I can see someone rationalizing. This is more "Fuck you, I might get mine one day, probably not, but in the meantime fuck me too!"
Good example of false consciousness even I find the concept as it is described to be kind of sketchy and questionable.

TiVo

She should have flat out said she would veto it as soon as the shit popped up instead of waiting for the national backlash.

28689_image.jpg

That really is amazing. Unless they are very wealthy people,they are completely advocating against their own interest.

But forget about what is their own interest . . . is it country's best interest? Nope. If that type of policy really was economic magic then we should be swimming in jobs. Compared to the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the tax rates (and especially capital gains rates) are so low.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It's basically a "Fuck you, got mine" philosophy.

I think it's a little closer to a "Fuck you, I probably almost got mine, honestly it is just around the corner and these other people who are just like me but who for some reason (insert: gender/sexuality/age/race/job status/anything) don't deserve success would stop mooching off the system" philosophy.

American Dream, yo. People are looking ahead to when they "make it", even if statistically virtually nobody holding such a view will actually achieve breakout success.

Millionaires and suckers.

Wilsongt

Just heard it in Fox. Essenty Obama hatea America. That's why he is cutting militAry money. The world is laughing at us. Drones are good. Obama loves welfare.

Oblivion

Tomorrow should be fun. We're getting the ling awated Republican tax reform proposal!

Oblivion

I think it's a little closer to a "Fuck you, I probably almost got mine, honestly it is just around the corner and these other people who are just like me but who for some reason (insert: gender/sexuality/age/race/job status/anything) don't deserve success would stop mooching off the system" philosophy.

American Dream, yo. People are looking ahead to when they "make it", even if statistically virtually nobody holding such a view will actually achieve breakout success.

Speaking of that, has this been posted?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/joe-plumber-union-man-you-betcha-n33456

Going from aspiring job creator to union thug. How the might have fallen.

Best thing to ever happen to the gay rights' movement has been the recent uptick in batshit crazy anti-gay fervor. All this is going to do is push up the timeline for sexuality becoming a federally protected class and nationwide same-sex marriage.

These idiots could have had all of this taken a much longer time and maybe even die off before it happened, but instead they became so rabid in recent years everything is speeding up.

So please, keep pushing for laws that discriminate against gays, say horrific things towards them, etc. It will mean progress coming quicker and homosexuals (and others) being treated properly under the eyes of the law sooner than it would have been had those people kept mostly quiet.

Sibylus

Banned
Best thing to ever happen to the gay rights' movement has been the recent uptick in batshit crazy anti-gay fervor. All this is going to do is push up the timeline for sexuality becoming a federally protected class and nationwide same-sex marriage.

These idiots could have had all of this taken a much longer time and maybe even die off before it happened, but instead they became so rabid in recent years everything is speeding up.

So please, keep pushing for laws that discriminate against gays, say horrific things towards them, etc. It will mean progress coming quicker and homosexuals (and others) being treated properly under the eyes of the law sooner than it would have been had those people kept mostly quiet.
Yup. The battle lust of social conservatives will guarantee that they're spent far sooner in advance than they would have been otherwise. The tactical successes they grapple to obtain like in Arizona are strategic failures in the long run, and all the better that they continue trying.

4 million O'care enrollments. (i think through Feb 15)
I don't think Obamacare is going to be a winning issue for the GOP this time around. There will be close to 15 million people with health insurance who didn't have it before thanks to it, in spite of its early glitches. If you look at online comments in any positive Obamacare story, you'll see conservatives angrily thrashing it just because it contradicts the argument they've been running on to the voters for the past four years. It worked in 2010, not in 2012. I don't see that trend reversing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom