• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
They better get out their and take credit. The Republicans are already shamelessly doing so

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...ndulum-swing-between-security-privacy-n282136

McConnell -- two days into his Senate majority -- takes credit for the improving economy?

In his statement yesterday outlining his goals for the 114th Congress, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said this: "After so many years of sluggish growth, we're finally starting to see some economic data that can provide a glimmer of hope; the uptick appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama administration's long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress. So this is precisely the right time to advance a positive, pro-growth agenda." So after years of making President Obama and Democrats own the state of the economy, McConnell is now taking credit for the improving -- two days into his new job? And based on the expectation that the GOP was going to take over the Senate? If anything, this is a reminder that the Republican Party realizes that -- if the economy continues to get better and better -- they can't allow Obama to get all of the credit. Oh, and we get a new monthly jobs report tomorrow…

Obama to deliver remarks on the improving housing sector at 12:45 pm ET

Speaking of the economy, Obama today is on the second leg of his three-day tour touting the economy and previewing his State of the Union message. Today's stop: Phoenix, where he will talk about the improving housing sector at 12:45 pm ET. Be sure not to miss this dispatch from NBC's Perry Bacon: "Key voices in both parties [Jeb Bush and Elizabeth Warren] are rejecting the optimistic way President Barack Obama is describing the current state of the American economy, illustrating an important divide that could impact both the president's last two years in office and the 2016 campaign."

HylianTom

Banned
Its not bad marketing. Its an unreceptive audience
Thus, the necessity for repetition.

I make a distinction between the enthusiast political audience and the casual political audience. We here in PoliGAF, the Freepers.. we pay attention every day. We laugh at vote counts in Congress, tinker with the electoral map, and later we look at polling data. I advocate bragging more for the casual audience, those who tune-in to campaigns at the last minute and couldn't tell you the blow-by-blow accounts of primary fights, those who read about debates after they happen, etc etc.

I want the Dems to brag repeatedly and loudly so that some of the casuals at least vaguely pick-up on the idea that, yes, the Dems are doing pretty well in this department. If it moves the needle just a few points in 2016, then it's well worth it.

I really hate the right using attacks on Jews for their own political ends. Jews are much more often than not liberal and left leaning.

I just don't want to be associated with their toxic xenophobia when I talk about certain things

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Its not bad marketing. Its an unreceptive audience

It's bad marketing. The democrats' main problem right now is just what you said: people aren't receptive to what they're saying.

In that case, you change up how you say it.

ivysaur12

Banned
They'll probably issue their opinion before the SCOTUS has oral arguments, but it seems as if the 5th Circuit (of all places) will strike down gay marriage bans as unconstitutional.

@chrisgeidner
Judges Higginbotham & Graves are very skeptical of LA's arguments in defense of the state's same-sex marriage ban, likely to be struck down.

ivysaur12

Banned
@chrisgeidner
Breaking: MS and TX arguments remain, but after LA args, the 5th Circuit appears poised to strike down state same-sex marriages bans.

I assume Buzzfeed will have the story soon after MS and TX arguments are done (and if you're interested, you should follow Chris Geidner. He's fantastic -- he does Buzzfeed legal). I can't believe of all of the Circuits, the 5th will strike down these bans.

And if they don't stay their decision, or stay it temporarily, it's possible that marriage equality could come to Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana before the rest, leaving 9-10 (depending how you classify Missouri) states without gay marriage in the country before the SCOTUS issues a decision.

Cloudy

Banned
No he didn't. The worst you could say about his is that he seemed disengaged. But he still addressed and rebuked many of Romney's points. Yes, there weren't any clever sound bites that came out of the debate, but y'all are acting like he got steamrolled.

I will say that in terms of optics, Romney definitely "won", but people act like this was a fucking Katey Couric/Sarah Palin brawl or something.

I don't even think he looked "disengaged" unless your definition of that is not interrupting Romney and focusing more on the audience and moderator. His content was great but he wasn't super confrontational and let Romney get away with lies.

The media and public are just so dumb at times..

Imagine if Romney had won, this would be the "Romney Recovery" right now *shudder*

HylianTom

Banned
I don't even think he looked "disengaged" unless your definition of that is not interrupting Romney and focusing more on the audience and moderator. His content was great but he wasn't super confrontational and let Romney get away with lies.

The media and public are just so dumb at times..

Imagine if Romney had won, this would be the "Romney Recovery" right now *shudder*

This is a great opportunity. If the Democrats had any messaging ability, they'd be pointing at the difference between Obama/Clinton records and Bush/Bush records while shouting from the rooftops over the next two years, "see? See what happens? Do you reeeaally wanna elect more Republicans?"

Man can you imagine if Romney was president? His first term jobs promise was such a blatant farce because 2013-2016 was always viewed as a period where job growth would increase regardless. I can just imagine the cheerleading we'd see. Liberalism would have taken quite a blow...

NeoXChaos

This is a great opportunity. If the Democrats had any messaging ability, they'd be pointing at the difference between Obama/Clinton records and Bush/Bush records while shouting from the rooftops over the next two years, "see? See what happens? Do you reeeaally wanna elect more Republicans?"

Lol. The dumb media is not going to allow the bush and clinton comparison. The public is too ignorant to notice soooo.....

Shutdown, one term president by mcconell, plot against obama DAY ONE etc

Man can you imagine if Romney was president? His first term jobs promise was such a blatant farce because 2013-2016 was always viewed as a period where job growth would increase regardless. I can just imagine the cheerleading we'd see. Liberalism would have taken quite a blow...

The gloating would be insufferable.

I shudder trying to picture the smug superiority of the WSJ editorial we'd be seeing today.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
But the argument given by King's advocates is that a condition was clearly stated. That' it's it's taxing power and not spending power makes no substantive difference to the relationship of states vs fed power. Furthermore, Congress did give money to states to set up the exchanges, so there's that too. But that's neither here nor there.

It's pretty ridiculous to believe that the SCOTUS arguments regarding Congress' spending power and incentives won't also relate to its arguments regarding taxing power. You're just pretending to be naive, here.

If Congress said "raise the drinking age to 21 or we won't allow mortgage deduction tax claims in your state," the SCOTUS would have also slapped that down in Dole, too.

Having done now a bit of research, it appears you may be right. In fact, one of the earliest Spending Clause cases concerned a credit to employers against their federal unemployment contributions so long as they contributed to a state unemployment insurance program that satisfied certain Congressionally determined conditions. Still, that opinion was authored some 80 years ago, so it's possible that intervening doctrinal developments would lead to using a different analysis today. Be that as it may, I'll assume for the sake of our argument that the conditional grant of credits stated in the ACA must be unambiguous to be constitutional.

Given that, the solution here is obvious: the King challengers will continue to argue that the ACA's text is unambiguous, as they have done from the outset, and conclude that the statute provided adequate notice to states of the consequences of their choice. The challengers only win if the statute is unambiguous, which means that the Spending Clause question is only an issue if the statute is unambiguous, which means that a prerequisite to raising that question also resolves it.

As for Walker, statutes do not become ambiguous because the administration misrepresents the terms of the statute. If you're going to try to establish ambiguity by pointing to some evidence other than the text of the statute itself, then you need to establish (at a minimum) that that evidence relates solely to the text of the statute itself, which you can't do here. Walker admitted that he consulted with HHS, and he was no doubt aware of the IRS rule purporting to authorize credits on federal exchanges. You simply can't posit that his comment is directed to the terms of the statute itself, which is the only thing that matters here.

Like, you think for even a second that I believe that you believe the law was written to make the federally run exchanges not have tax credits? You don't believe that no matter how much you try to convince people here.

You're like McConnell trying to claim the 2nd and 3rd quarter GDP reports are due to the GOP winning the election. Nothing more than trolling.

I find this an unacceptable position to take in a debate. If you are incapable of taking seriously the idea that other people believe differently from you, then you are incapable of arguing at an adult level. Either give me the courtesy of accepting that I believe what I say when I defend it as vigorously and thoroughly as I have this question, or go away. I will not waste my time on someone so inconsiderate as to doubt my sincerity while not even bothering to read the relevant literature before discussing it.

So, just to name one issue here: you're saying no amici curae were filed by and/or on the behalf of members of the Republican Party?

No, I'm saying that the Republican Party is not a party to any of the pending litigation on this question. What is it that you're trying to say? Do you believe that King or Halbig are Republican Party officials? Do you think the Republican Party is bankrolling the litigation?

Would it even get to a judges desk? Im sure some clerk somewhere has an "lol" stamp for these things

The bill won't pass. Dude's not even a lawyer =|

. If you are incapable of taking seriously the idea that other people believe differently from you, then you are incapable of arguing at an adult level. Either give me the courtesy of accepting that I believe what I say when I defend it as vigorously and thoroughly as I have this question, or go away. I will not waste my time on someone so inconsiderate as to doubt my sincerity while not even bothering to read the relevant literature before discussing it.

It's quite possible you want to believe what you say, and this has led to actual belief through various cognitive failures over the last few months. It's quite a natural defense mechanism to protect your side from moral culpability in the event that they are successful.

But no one could have seriously followed the passage of the ACA and read up on the explanations of how its policy mechanisms would work and then believe that the federal exchange wasn't intended to distribute subsidies. Black Mamba is being courteous here, if anything. It's probably better to be a troll than to be that delusional.

Wilsongt

On Friday, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) laughed at his Republican counterpart's attempt to link the improving economy to the GOP takeover of the Senate.

Calling into KNPR radio, Reid told the host it was a "gross understatement" that he disagrees with Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY).

"They [Republicans] have worked for six years to do what they said they'd do — that is, make sure [President] Obama was not reelected. They failed there. The next thing they said they'd do ... is oppose everything he did," he said.

McConnell said on Wednesday that "the uptick [in economic data] appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama administration's long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress."

The Democratic leader said "we're satisfied" with economic improvements, but he argued that Republicans "have done things that have hurt the economy."

"If they had cooperated with us even a little bit the economy would be stronger than it is now," he said. "Think where the economy would be if we didn't have a program like Cash For Clunkers ... and what about the bailout of Detroit? Our auto industry was going down, down, down. ... The Republicans opposed all those measures, every one of them."

Harry Reid calling out McConnell.

sogood.gif

Metaphoreus

It's quite possible you want to believe what you say, and this has led to actual belief through various cognitive failures over the last few months. It's quite a natural defense mechanism to protect your side from moral culpability in the event that they are successful.

But no one could have seriously followed the passage of the ACA and read up on the explanations of how its policy mechanisms would work and then believe that the federal exchange wasn't intended to distribute subsidies. Black Mamba is being courteous here, if anything. It's probably better to be a troll than to be that delusional.

I have been arguing about this case on this forum for something like seven months now, and you still don't understand my argument? Let's assume for present purposes that every single legislator who cast a vote for or against the ACA intended that federal exchanges be able to offer tax credits. That doesn't change the fact that the bill they voted on--the only document to become an Act of Congress with respect to the subject--didn't authorize tax credits for purchasers from an exchange established by the federal government. Subjective intent is irrelevant--all that matters is what was passed by the House and Senate and signed by the president.

If you have an argument to make, make it. I find your insults unpersuasive.

Like, you think for even a second that I believe that you believe the law was written to make the federally run exchanges not have tax credits?

I find this an unacceptable position to take in a debate. If you are incapable of taking seriously the idea that other people believe differently from you, then you are incapable of arguing at an adult level. Either give me the courtesy of accepting that I believe what I say when I defend it as vigorously and thoroughly as I have this question, or go away.

But no one could have seriously followed the passage of the ACA and read up on the explanations of how its policy mechanisms would work and then believe that the federal exchange wasn't intended to distribute subsidies.

Let's assume for present purposes that every single legislator who cast a vote for or against the ACA intended that federal exchanges be able to offer tax credits.

It's like there are two different arguments and you can't even keep track of which one you're making, Metapod.

ivysaur12

Banned
I have been arguing about this case on this forum for something like seven months now, and you still don't understand my argument? Let's assume for present purposes that every single legislator who cast a vote for or against the ACA intended that federal exchanges be able to offer tax credits. That doesn't change the fact that the bill they voted on--the only document to become an Act of Congress with respect to the subject--didn't authorize tax credits for purchasers from an exchange established by the federal government. Subjective intent is irrelevant--all that matters is what was passed by the House and Senate and signed by the president.

People do understand your argument. But I would guess most here find your arguments unpersuasive, that -- at worst -- the legislation is ambiguous in its language and that it's clear that the intent of the legislation is not what you say it is.

I also think most people here believe you're playing a game of political teams, not the law. We all do this from time to time, but in in this particular instance, you're "side" believes that this is the best way to bleed out the ACA, which is where most of us assume is the genesis of your opinion. If this wasn't about the ACA, would you be fighting the same position? My guess is not, and you might find this offensive. That's fine. But that's the assumption that -- I'm guessing -- most have about your POV and are suspect if you actually believe in what you're saying, or if it's just a pretext to achieve an agenda.

I understand polling is lagging indicator but you'd think this positive momentum would be doing more for approval ratings.

I don't think Obama will ever achieve Clinton-esque approval ratings. I can't see him ever breaking 51/52, if just because how poisonous his brand is to Republicans.

Metaphoreus

It's like there are two different arguments and you can't even keep track of which one you're making, Metapod.

I don't understand your criticism.

People do understand your argument. But I would guess most here find your arguments unpersuasive, that -- at worst -- the legislation is ambiguous in its language and that it's clear that the intent of the legislation is not what you say it is.

I also think most people here believe you're playing a game of political teams, not the law. We all do this from time to time, but in in this particular instance, you're "side" believes that this is the best way to bleed out the ACA, which is where most of us assume is the genesis of your opinion. If this wasn't about the ACA, would you be fighting the same position? My guess is not, and you might find this offensive. That's fine. But that's the assumption that -- I'm guessing -- most have about your POV and are suspect if you actually believe in what you're saying, or if it's just a pretext to achieve an agenda.

I don't realistically expect to persuade anyone that I'm right. I suspect the same flaw of "most people" that you propose they think of me. But I see no need to discuss that suspicion. What matter are the arguments, not the motives of those making the arguments.

Given that, the solution here is obvious: the King challengers will continue to argue that the ACA's text is unambiguous, as they have done from the outset, and conclude that the statute provided adequate notice to states of the consequences of their choice. The challengers only win if the statute is unambiguous, which means that the Spending Clause question is only an issue if the statute is unambiguous, which means that a prerequisite to raising that question also resolves it.

As for Walker, statutes do not become ambiguous because the administration misrepresents the terms of the statute. If you're going to try to establish ambiguity by pointing to some evidence other than the text of the statute itself, then you need to establish (at a minimum) that that evidence relates solely to the text of the statute itself, which you can't do here. Walker admitted that he consulted with HHS, and he was no doubt aware of the IRS rule purporting to authorize credits on federal exchanges. You simply can't posit that his comment is directed to the terms of the statute itself, which is the only thing that matters here.

You're making a big mistake here. You're arguing that the if the SCOTUS finds the text of the statute unambiguous, the King advocates win. You're wrong. They only win if the SCOTUS finds the statute unambiguous in that it calls for different rules for federal and state exchanges.

To the contrary, the SCOTUS can totally determine the statute unambiguously gives tax credits to both state and federally run exchanges which is something I and almost everyone else believes. The federal gov't can argue that the text is ambiguous and deference is given to their department officials but even if it's not considered ambiguous that it unambiguously favors their decision that both exchanges are equal.

And this is why Walker's statement is important. Because he, as a State Official, demonstrates how it's unambiguous that the exchanges are equal. I am not arguing Walker's statement proves ambiguity. I am arguing the exact opposite.

Remember: "States cannot knowingly accept conditions of which they are "unaware" or which they are "unable to ascertain.""

So even if the language of the statute might be argued to say the tax credits were a carrot for the states, the fact that no single state interpreted it this way forces the proper interpretation to be unambiguously that there was no such carrot mechanism.

FTR, I believe that the statute is unambiguous and supports no incentives. I believe you can now prove it with not only the text as well as the context surrounding the law (that no one ever believed it) but also based on how state officials interpreted the law.

The only reason the admin is putting forward the ambiguity argument is because it's the easiest and shortest, but all the arguments matter and King fails all of them.

I find this an unacceptable position to take in a debate. If you are incapable of taking seriously the idea that other people believe differently from you, then you are incapable of arguing at an adult level. Either give me the courtesy of accepting that I believe what I say when I defend it as vigorously and thoroughly as I have this question, or go away. I will not waste my time on someone so inconsiderate as to doubt my sincerity while not even bothering to read the relevant literature before discussing it.

No, I won't extend that courtesy. It would require me to believe you're a moron, which you're unambiguously not. There is no fucking way you actually believe the authors of the PPACA intentionally wrote the law to not give federally run exchanges tax credits.

If the authors of the law didn't intend to do it, then they didn't do it. A mistaken comma or word doesn't change the interpretation of a law. It's not English class. That's not how it works and you know it.

No, I won't extend that courtesy. It would require me to believe you're a moron, which you're unambiguously not.

JgZs64Q.png

Metaphoreus

This is my last response to you on this topic, BM. Like I said, I won't waste my time on someone incapable of respecting differences of opinion. I will continue to respond to others concerning this topic.

You're making a big mistake here. You're arguing that the if the SCOTUS finds the text of the statute unambiguous, the King advocates win. You're wrong. They only win if the SCOTUS finds the statute unambiguous in that it calls for different rules for federal and state exchanges.

You're right. If the Court holds that the statute unambiguously authorizes credits on federal exchanges, then the challengers lose. Likewise, if the Court holds that the statute is ambiguous on the question of whether credits are authorized, then the challengers (probably) lose. But in neither of those situations would the requirement that a condition on federal funds be unambiguously stated become relevant. That requirement only becomes relevant if the statute unambiguously provides that credits are available only on state-established exchanges--and it would be satisfied on the basis of that prerequisite being met.

As I have already said, Walker's statement isn't obviously directed at the text of the ACA, which is what the Court will be interpreting. If Walker were discussing the text of the statute, on its own, and said that credits would be available to purchasers from an exchange established by the federal government, then we would at least have reason to take his comment into consideration. But we've no reason to believe that that is the case. What's more, even assuming that Walker's comment was made with specific reference to the text of the ACA, why would the Court look to Walker's interpretation of the statute when the justices are perfectly capable of interpreting the text for themselves?

If the authors of the law didn't intend to do it, then they didn't do it. A mistaken comma or word doesn't change the interpretation of a law. It's not English class. That's not how it works and you know it.

This isn't how statutory interpretation works. There is no reason to resort to the subjective intentions of individual legislators in interpreting the text of a legislative enactment. You read the words of the enactment, not the minds of the enactors.

As I have already said, Walker's statement isn't obviously directed at the text of the ACA, which is what the Court will be interpreting. If Walker were discussing the text of the statute, on its own, and said that credits would be available to purchasers from an exchange established by the federal government, then we would at least have reason to take his comment into consideration. But we've no reason to believe that that is the case. What's more, even assuming that Walker's comment was made with specific reference to the text of the ACA, why would the Court look to Walker's interpretation of the statute when the justices are perfectly capable of interpreting the text for themselves?

It doesn't have to be directed at the text. He admitted there are no substantive differences between a federally run exchange and state exchange. Tax credits are substantive!

The reason they'd look to his interpretation was already given! Here it is, more thorough.

Congress has broad power to set the terms on which it disburses federal money to the States, see, e.g., South Dakota v. Dole, 483 U. S. 203, 206–207 (1987) , but when Congress attaches conditions to a State’s acceptance of federal funds, the conditions must be set out “unambiguously,” see Pennhurst State School and Hospital v. Halderman, 451 U. S. 1, 17 (1981) ; Rowley, supra, at 204, n. 26. “[L]egislation enacted pursuant to the spending power is much in the nature of a contract,” and therefore, to be bound by “federally imposed conditions,” recipients of federal funds must accept them “voluntarily and knowingly.” Pennhurst, 451 U. S., at 17. States cannot knowingly accept conditions of which they are “unaware” or which they are “unable to ascertain.” Ibid. Thus, in the present case, we must view the IDEA from the perspective of a state official who is engaged in the process of deciding whether the State should accept IDEA funds and the obligations that go with those funds. We must ask whether such a state official would clearly understand that one of the obligations of the Act is the obligation to compensate prevailing parents for expert fees. In other words, we must ask whether the IDEA furnishes clear notice regarding the liability at issue in this case.

In other words, the SCOTUS has stated that if a statute has obligations or incentives built in, but the states do not notice them and are unaware of them when making a decision, then deference will be given to the states' initial interpretations over the statutes!

Further:

In a Spending Clause case, the key is not what a majority of the Members of both Houses intend but what the States are clearly told regarding the conditions that go along with the acceptance of those funds.

I know this is mostly a taxing clause case though there is federal spending in it as well, but I highly doubt, as we already discussed and you mostly agreed, there'd be a difference.

Congress' intent is disregarded!

You see, the SCOTUS could even rule that the statute literally denies tax credits to federally run exchanges but still rule in the administration's favor because states were never given that choice and never believed such a choice existed!

This isn't how statutory interpretation works. There is no reason to resort to the subjective intentions of individual legislators in interpreting the text of a legislative enactment. You read the words of the enactment, not the minds of the enactors.

Actually, it is. Thankfully, Scalia's ideology isn't prevailing (which is funny because in the above case he sides against his ideology, lolz).

Obama.. Biden.. get your asses in front of every damn camera that'll broadcast and brag, goddammit! Loudly and repeatedly! Wear a big-ass gaudy crown that says "King of Job Creation" if you feel the need to; this is the only way you will get credit from voters, as they are usually too busy paying attention to Honey Boo Boo or Jessica Simpson, or whoever's on TV these days..

I mean, damn. This should be a fucking slam dunk.
In fact Obama from now on should be wearing that Emperor Obama armor he was wearing in China while delivering the speech.

ivysaur12

Banned
Full Buzzfeed write up:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/federal-appeals-courts-appears-likely-to-strike-down-louisia?s=mobilehttp://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/federal-appeals-courts-appears-likely-to-strike-down-louisia?s=mobile

More than halfway through the morning's arguments, an exasperated Justin Matheny, the assistant attorney general in Mississippi charged with defending the state's ban, tried to change his tune during his rebuttal arguments.

It being clear that the three-judge panel was leaning against upholding the bans, Matheny told the judges that although the "trajectory" on marriage rights for same-sex couples is "undeniable," he argued that "it's not there yet."

Judge Patrick Higginbotham, born in Alabama almost eight decades ago and appointed to the appeals court by President Reagan more than three decades ago, spoke up. And though the older judge was hard to hear at times, he spoke up and spoke clearly when he responded to Matheny: "Those words, 'Will Mississippi change its mind?' have resonated in these halls before."

That future — most court observers expect the court to take an appeal of at least one of the petitions pending for review — and the South's history with regards to federal court intervention to help enforce civil rights laws appeared to weigh, particularly on Higginbotham.

Higginbotham, along with Judge James Graves Jr., grew increasingly skeptical of the three states' arguments as the morning wore on, with Judge Jerry Smith at times interjecting to slow down one of his colleagues' lines of questioning in the courtroom.

The states' lawyers, on the other hand, faced a nearly constant stream of skeptical questioning from Higginbotham and Graves. Even Smith, who mostly served as a counterpoint to his colleagues, occasionally raised skeptical questions.

pigeon

Banned
I am not sure what the benefit is of acting out the King oral arguments. Obviously there is a legal argument to be made on either side (I use the phrase "legal argument" advisedly). I think that should be clear. It is probably not surprising that some of us find what we consider to be holes in Metaphoreus's argument, but that he does not consider them holes; that is the nature of a legal argument. In the end it will come down to the question of what the judges find most persuasive or politically appealing, as legal arguments generally do.

I can't myself find Metaphoreus's argument to be obviously wrong on the merits. I don't think that it should win, and don't find it persuasive (or politically appealing), but it is not straightforwardly dumb.

I think that, for political reasons, it is unlikely to prevail with SCOTUS. Having already upheld Obamacare once, and given that it is currently functioning, it would be painful to now radically damage or destroy it. It would be additionally unpleasant because Metaphoreus's argument suffers from the public relations problem of sounding more unreasonable than it actually is. In the end I think that Kennedy and/or Roberts will give way.

But I think the agitation on this topic is because we really don't know, do we?

No, I'm saying that the Republican Party is not a party to any of the pending litigation on this question. What is it that you're trying to say? Do you believe that King or Halbig are Republican Party officials? Do you think the Republican Party is bankrolling the litigation?

I'm saying I would find the argument for the plaintiffs' side in King and Halbig substantially more compelling without the amici curae from the aforementioned GOP senators (or the Cato Institute, for that matter - both inject a level of politicization that I'm not very comfortable with). I'm not sure if there are any recent high-profile cases where a group of Democratic senators have acted similarly, but I would similarly find that side less compelling - though to a lesser degree due to my preexisting political bias, I must admit.

I realize this is largely irrelevant to the legal arguments themselves, and I apologize if you were expecting something more substantiated.

(I also realize this is a bit of a backtrack from my initial post, but then I came on too strong there anyway.)

Cloudy

Banned

Yep. Especially to combat emerging GOP-friendly narratives like this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/does-obama-deserve-credit-for-economy-114107.html?hp=t3_r

The United States economy is increasingly the envy of a struggling world and President Barack Obama is in the early stages of a yearlong effort to grab credit for it and reverse persistently stagnant approval ratings as his tenure winds toward a close.

The economy created another 252,000 jobs in December, a record 58th straight month of private sector gains. The jobless rate dropped to 5.6 percent, nearly back to normal after peaking at 10 percent in October of 2009. And the economy turned in a robust 5 percent growth rate in the third quarter of last year.

But how much credit does the president actually deserve for all this?

I briefly glanced over the article, it seems to argue he deserves a lot of credit for saving the economy from implosion (stimulus especially).

Regardless it's very hard to take people seriously who just 3-4 years ago were arguing Obama's policies were destroying the economy. Obamacare went into effect last year and the economy actually improved over 2013. I'm not saying Obamacare improved the economy, just that it clearly did not destroy anything.

Cloudy

Banned
I briefly glanced over the article, it seems to argue he deserves a lot of credit for saving the economy from implosion (stimulus especially).

I didn't see many people outside of Dem circles with articles about how it's not ALL Obama's fault when things weren't going well. He took all the blame back then and should get ALL the credit now (kind of like Clinton does for the 90s boom).

I don't want to see any qualifiers because these same writers didn't give any in the recent past...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Prior two months revised up a combined 50k. McConnell's magic was retroactive. Damn they're good.

We almost cracked the 3 million mark, but just barely missed it. Ah well.

So...when are the job creators gonna start fleeing to Somalia again?

Cloudy

Banned
Romney Tells Donors He Is Considering 2016 White House Bid

By Wall Street Journal @WSJ

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, told a meeting of donors Friday that he is considering another White House bid in 2016.

Would the GOP really let him have another crack at it?

I didn't see many people outside of Dem circles with articles about how it's not ALL Obama's fault when things weren't going well. He took all the blame back then and should get ALL the credit now (kind of like Clinton does for the 90s boom)

We'll see. Typically presidents get the credit for economic growth/collapse, regardless of whether they deserve it or not. Obama's numbers aren't rising because people suddenly support his policies - they're rising because the economy is getting better, and there hasn't been a recent international disaster for the WH to fuck up a response to. Gas is cheap, businesses are hiring.

Also an improving economy makes it even harder for republicans to shut down the government.

Why is it that GOP like's to blame Obama for everything bad, but when the exact opposite happens of a situation he directly has no control over, he gets no credit whatsoever?

Like the Revisionist nonsense with Bin Laden. Trying to say "Oh, the SEALS got Osama, not Obama!"

"Really? So the SEALS deserve ALL the credit and not Obama?"

"Yeah!"

"So...by that logic...had the mission be a complete failure, you would blame the Navy Seals, right, since Obama had nothing to do with it?"

*silence*

Is this like how Wagner's music is better than it sounds? I don't understand what you mean by this.

If I'm reading that right: it sounds worse than it actually is (statutes should be enforced according to what they actually say), in large part because of the IRS using the rule for federal exchanges to begin with.

Cutting that loose is bad PR (and bad policy without plans for a legislative 'fix'), but possibly good legal practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom