• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has been posted already. It looks like O'Malley won't appear on Ohio's primary ballot:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/12/31/martin-omalley-primary-ballot.html

As an Ohioan, I'm bizarrely insulted about this. We're a damn swing state. He needed 1000 signatures, got 1175, and they discounted all but 772. I'm probably ignorant about this, but if I need 1000 signatures, I'm going to try to get 2000. And I know I didn't see anyone around Downtown Cleveland trying to get people to sign the candidate petition. Was this a failure for O'Malley's ground game, or did O'Malley go too far with his restraining order against adam387?

O'Malley has a ground game?

He has a game at all?

You don't need game when you have a guitar. He also has the only guns I approve of.

d4aafa7dae58878d1e9150709d318fe3.jpg

His lack of a ground game hurts whomever ends up coming in 2nd in Iowa. If O'Malley had 5-10% in Iowa, his supporters would be extremely useful to the 2nd place candidate, since he'd be under the viability threshold.

Teggy

This is said all the time but I'm not sure what it actually means. They hate Hillary already, I don't think they need any other reason to be energized.

Well, for example, in 2004 13 different states had marriage ammendments on the ballot. I don't know if studies have been done, but the conventional wisdom at the time was that these had a significant effect getting evangelicals to the polls who might not otherwise had voted. Even if they didn't affect the presidential race, they might have affect downticket races.

Nope.
Real question is why he used quotation marks.

Baking powder bread, dear gods.
-
Wait. a whole tablespoon of baking powder? wtf....

It's essentially this recipe (I added the "healthy" flax seeds), and it isn't bitter at all, and although it's merely fine, as is, lightly toasted it's delish, for my lunchtime chicken salad sandwich, and as a tasty snack, with grass-fed butter (Kerrygold). I thinly slice and freeze after a few days, to keep fresh.

P.S. Ooh, I forgot! Toasted, it also makes an awesome base for some standby pizza bites (x2), with a tomato paste base (1/5 small can, mixed in bowl, with 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground pepper and a dash of salt), sprinkling on (pre-)shredded real cheese (e.g. Sargento), and I normally have a sliced organic plum tomato, as a topping (with a little extra seasoning), although I used chicken on Christmas day - yum!

Daniel B·;190902216 said:
It's essentially this recipe (I added the "healthy" flax seeds), and it isn't bitter at all, and although it's merely fine, as is, lightly toasted it's delish, for my lunchtime chicken salad sandwich, and as a tasty snack, with grass-fed butter (Kerrygold). I thinly slice and freeze after a few days, to keep fresh.

Are you allergic to yeast?

2nd honors go to ErasureAcer.

*hopefully in the new year we get to elect our 1st Woman President and our first Hispanic Vice President.

julian-castro-hillary-clinton-president-vice-president.jpg

Damn straight.
Contingent upon who the GOP nominee is

The far right meltdown would be delicious. Absolutely delicious. I can taste their tears now. Hehehehe.

Are you allergic to yeast?

What's this fascination with yeast? ;).

No, it's just one more ingredient that I would have to buy, and as I've never used yeast, I have built up a slight phobia towards it, plus, screw having to wait for the bread to rise etc, when my version tastes great.

Iolo

Daniel B·;190904202 said:

No, it's just one more ingredient that I would have to buy, and as I've never used yeast, I have a built up a slight phobia towards it, plus, screw having to wait for the breed to rise etc, when my version tastes great.

Because yeast is an allegory for the oligarchical power of the big banks. It grows, double, triple, quadruple in size. While in the same time period, unleavened bread has simply stagnated into barely any growth at all. If we don't break up the big bakeries, who continue to push for Big Yeast's control of the economy, we're doomed.

I see Trump as Schrodinger's Candidate.

I believe is he both the nominee and not the nominee at any given time. We can only know for sure when we enter those convention halls at the Mistake on the Lake Convention Center.

At this point in 2011, everyone knew Romney would be the nominee, but there had already been 2-3 "Not Romneys" leading in the polls.

So far there hasn't even been one Not Trump, and he still gets no respect.

Daniel B·;190904202 said:

No, it's just one more ingredient that I would have to buy, and as I've never used yeast, I have a built up a slight phobia towards it, plus, screw having to wait for the breed to rise etc, when my version tastes great.

I don't care that you don't use yeast. I just wanted to know why yeast free was in quotes.

I believe is he both the nominee and not the nominee at any given time. We can only know for sure when we enter those convention halls at the Mistake on the Lake Convention Center.

wait a minute, Cleveland actually has a convention center? I thought that building was just a literal hole in the ground

I don't care that you don't use yeast. I just wanted to know why yeast free was in quotes.

I don't know if it's the "early" drinks I've had while watching "football," but this is legit cracking "me" up. XD

wait a minute, Cleveland actually has a convention center? I thought that building was just a literal hole in the ground

You say "hole" we say "Convention Center."

User 406

Banned

Uh, that's the Quicken Loans Mistake on the Lake Convention Center to you, pal.

At this point in 2011, everyone knew Romney would be the nominee, but there had already been 2-3 "Not Romneys" leading in the polls.

So far there hasn't even been one Not Trump, and he still gets no respect.

That's because he was supposed to be one of the Not Bushes. The narrative has now changed.

So Jeb blames Obama for Trump's rise.

Is Jeb just trying to ignore his own weaknesses as a candidate, or is he genuinely this stupid? At the beginning of the cycle, I wasn't sure. Now I'm leaning toward an intelligence issue.

“I would argue that Donald Trump is in fact a creature of Barack Obama,” Mr. Bush said Thursday morning in an interview on NPR’s “Morning Edition.” “But for Barack Obama, Donald Trump’s effect would not be nearly as strong as it is.”

“We’re living in a divided country right now, and we need political leaders, rather that continuing to divide as both President Obama and Donald Trump, to unite us,” the former Florida governor said.

Calling Obama divisive is like calling gays divisive, IMO. Just because someone sends you into an irrational frothy rage does not make that person divisive.

Kind of like how they claim that Obama has set race relations back. How? By talking about how it's a shame that young black people are getting gunned down all the time? These people seem to think that black people just shutting up and taking it constitutes normal race relations.

Uh, that's the Quicken Loans Mistake on the Lake Convention Center to you, pal.

Hahaha. I have nothing but love for the Q. It's where I got to see Cher last year. Fourth row. Granted....I was overcome by the gay vapors, so it could have been in the middle of the Cuyahoga River fire and I wouldn't have cared.

I almost want to go up to Cleveland during the convention just to see what goes down. If Trump wins, I just might do it.

User 406

Banned
Hahaha. I have nothing but love for the Q. It's where I got to see Cher last year. Fourth row. Granted....I was overcome by the gay vapors, so it could have been in the middle of the Cuyahoga River fire and I wouldn't have cared.

I almost want to go up to Cleveland during the convention just to see what goes down. If Trump wins, I just might do it.

Well warn me if you do, because my plans might include riding my bike down there and beating everyone I see to death with a lead pipe, and I'd hate to get you by mistake.

Well warn me if you do, because my plans might include riding my bike down there and beating everyone I see to death with a lead pipe, and I'd hate to get you by mistake.

I'll be the one checking out all the cute staffers, while gagging at their disgusting policy positions.

What about diapers?

No set policy, but I do enjoy being pampered.

With all the water SourShoes guzzles, I think it'd be apt to mention WS are out of the question, though.

Edit: And, of course, this is top of the page.

Legit question. I know this would never happen, but let's say Hillary would name Bill Secretary of something or other. Would he still be styled President only? Or, would he be given both titles like "Secretary President"? How did that work for Taft?

Cerium

Legit question. I know this would never happen, but let's say Hillary would name Bill Secretary of something or other. Would he still be styled President only? Or, would he be given both titles like "Secretary President"? How did that work for Taft?

I think while he is in office it would be "Secretary" for work related convenience and when he leaves office it'd be "President" again. The highest title takes priority.

We don't call Hillary Senator Clinton anymore.

Speaking of which who was the last Secretary of State to ascend to the Presidency? Who was the last cabinet member who was elected President directly after? I feel like it's been a long time.

I think while he is in office it would be "Secretary" for work related convenience and when he leaves office it'd be "President" again. The highest title takes priority.

Right. I just wasn't sure what happened if one took a step backwards, so to speak. I know it's stupid, but all the little arcane rules we have that would change with Hillary becoming President is interesting to me. Like, would they be introduced as Presidents Hillary and Bill Clinton? (She should take prescient as the sitting President). Or would it be President Hillary Rodham Clinton and President Bill Clinton?

I find stuff like this interesting. Probably the only one.

Cerium

Like, would they be introduced as Presidents Hillary and Bill Clinton? (She should take prescient as the sitting President). Or would it be President Hillary Rodham Clinton and President Bill Clinton?
My guess would be that it'd be President Hillary Clinton and First Gentleman Bill Clinton.

First Lady/Gentleman is a title and position, and as in the other example, while Bill fills that position they'd probably use that title.

Speaking of which who was the last Secretary of State to ascend to the Presidency? Who was the last cabinet member who was elected President directly after? I feel like it's been a long time.

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, and James Buchanan all were secretary of state before ascending to the presidency.

You could say that...

My guess would be that it'd be President Hillary Clinton and First Gentleman Bill Clinton.

First Lady/Gentleman is a title and position, and as in the other example, while Bill fills that position they'd probably use that title.

They had better do something like that. At a certain point, it would get into word salad mode "President Hillary Rodham Clinton and First Gentleman President BIll Clinton" would be way too much. I do hope Bill takes on the traditional roles of a Presidential spouse. I imagine some of that may be relegated to Chelsea or something, though. I think Bill could be a force for showing that gender norms and mores mean shit in more modern society.

benjipwns

Banned
Hillary Clinton is more right wing than you think: For progressives, a vote for her over Bernie Sanders is a waste
It’s telling that a Nixon biographer sees various similarities to Hillary Clinton. Like Thomas, I explained Clinton’s correlation to Nixon in a Hill piece titled “If Nixon had email, he’d have been just like Hillary Clinton.”

In contrast, Bernie Sanders and his campaign are bolstered by genuine progressive ideals, not political expediency. A Boston Globe article titled Bernie Sanders’ surge is partly fueled by veterans explains the energy and enthusiasm of the Sanders campaign:
“He is revered,” said Paul Loebe, a 31-year-old who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan during eight years of active duty…

“He’s very consistent with where he stands. He’s the first politician that I’ve believed in my life.“

Like Mr. Loeb, Bernie Sanders is indeed the only politician I’ve ever trusted in my life besides Elizabeth Warren. Conversely, 61% of American voters distrust Clinton according to polls.

Clinton as president can’t influence the NRA, but she can utilize the AUMF to wage endless wars. Only Bernie Sanders upholds the progressive values many establishment Democrats like Clinton jettisoned for political power. For this reason, it’s only logical to choose Sanders over Clinton, if ideals like ending perpetual war, wealth inequality, and racism mean anything to Democrats in 2016.
A choice, not an echo.

benjipwns

Banned
Damn, not since 1856.
And Van Buren and Buchanan weren't Secretary when elected. Van Buren was VP and Buchanan was Minister to the UK. That's why Buchanan was picked for the Democratic nomination, he had been out of the country and thus no stated public opinion on Kansas-Nebraska.

Today we're living in a shanty
Today we're scrounding for a meal

Today I'm stealing coal for fires
Who knew I could steal?

I used to winter in the tropics

I spent my summers at the shore

I used to throw away the paper--

He don't anymore
We'd like to thank you: Herber Hoover
For really showing us the way
We'd like to thank you: Herbert Hoover
You made us what we are today

Today we're living in a shanty
Today we're scrounding for a meal

Today I'm stealing coal for fires
Who knew I could steal?

I used to winter in the tropics

I spent my summers at the shore

I used to throw away the paper--

He don't anymore
We'd like to thank you: Herber Hoover
For really showing us the way
We'd like to thank you: Herbert Hoover
You made us what we are today

My dad was born in 1922. (He was 65 when I was born.) He grew up during the Depression. He was a man who never got mad. If you wanted to listen to him bitch, though, just mention Hoover.

benjipwns

Banned
Technically, H.W. Bush.

Secretary of Commerce? Fascinating. Well it was the roaring twenties, I guess it makes sense.
Hoover was arguably more famous as the head of Food Administration during the war. And post-war relief efforts in Europe.

The NYT named him one of the ten most important Americans in 1919 and the Democrats (along with Wilson personally and FDR) wanted Hoover to run as the 1920 Democratic candidate.

He ran for the Republican nomination instead. And then offered Coolidge "unsolicited advice every day for six years, all of it bad."

He was a big believer in the Progressive and Efficiency Movements which is why he concealed mistreatment of blacks and said nonsense like "We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of this land... We shall soon with the help of God be in sight of the day when poverty will be banished from this land."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom