• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to look up Hope Hicks. Turns out she's 26 years old. I hope this campaign destroys her future political career, because it's depressing to see someone in your own generation recycling rhetoric three generations out of date.

Looking at her bio, she went to SMU, so she's likely a sheltered white girl from an upper middle class+ family who was likely firmly in the "racist-as-fuck but if you call on us, we'll just say you're too PC" Southern fraternity/sorority system and doesn't know any better.

Teggy

Good news: Michele Fiore is running for Nevada 3rd!

7tnJRF7.png

Did you hear her latest revelations?

"What--are you kidding me? I’m about to fly to Paris and shoot ‘em in the head myself!" Fiore said she told Muth when asked why she didn't join the statement on Syrian refugees.

"I am not OK with Syrian refugees. I’m not OK with terrorists. I’m OK with putting them down, blacking them out, just put a piece of brass in their ocular cavity and end their miserable life. I'm good with that," she continued.

danm999

"What--are you kidding me? I’m about to fly to Paris and shoot ‘em in the head myself!" Fiore said she told Muth when asked why she didn't join the statement on Syrian refugees.

"I am not OK with Syrian refugees. I’m not OK with terrorists. I’m OK with putting them down, blacking them out, just put a piece of brass in their ocular cavity and end their miserable life. I'm good with that," she continued.

Uhhhhhh

I'm not joking. I'm starting to get supremely depressed and scared. This stuff isn't going away. It's getting worse...

These people remind me so much of other fascist movements.

I'm not joking. I'm starting to get supremely depressed and scared. This stuff isn't going away. It's getting worse...

These people remind me so much of other fascist movements.

what, did you think there was something special about America that fascist language just "wouldn't work" here?

Hrm, i wonder. There's been very little reason for regular folk to upgrade their cpu's since 2011, and yet intel still does fine (im assuming that things are Quite Different on the business hardware side). They could always try to go amd's route with More Cores and damn the consequences.

But hey, at least amd might finally catch up to them again.
FEeSRZS.jpg

I lol even though the amd fanboy in me is hurt

NeoXChaos

And 53% of the white vote and 60% of Republicans.

The runoff debate, held on November 6, 1991, received significant attention when reporter Norman Robinson questioned Duke, a Republican State Representative and former Grand Wizard of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Robinson, who is African-American, told Duke that he was "scared" at the prospect of Duke winning the election because of his history of "diabolical, evil, vile" racist and anti-Semitic comments, some of which he read to Duke. He then pressed Duke for an apology and when Duke protested that Robinson was not being fair to him, Robinson replied that he didn't think Duke was being honest. Jason Berry of the Los Angeles Times called it "startling TV" and the "catalyst" for the "overwhelming" turnout of black voters that helped former Governor Edwin Edwards defeat Duke.[5]

Trump would most certainly do this in the town hall national general election debate. Watch he get a question similar yo this by a muslim or latino American and do just what Duke did.

User1608

Banned
I myself being one of the targets of his rhetoric and hearing all of the shit he has said about muslims, I am now supremely uncomfortable and concerned. This rally, damn.

My problem with people Godwin-ing (?) is that it usually trivializes history and it's intellectually lazy. Things are bad/good independent of whether the Nazis did it; the Nazis also invested in infrastructure, anti-smoking campaigns, animal welfare and conservation, but we obviously don't complain about that Venn Diagram. Rather than relying on the crutch of guilt by association, we can just skip to the substantive arguments about why something is good or bad. But usually we're not interested in having that discussion (or it's unnecessary) so we just use the comparison as a shorthanded in-group way of expressing our stance that "X is bad, and people who like X are bad". I have no problem with people doing that, but you don't need to invoke the Nazis to do it; the US has plenty of dark history that still needs internalizing. There's a reason we remember Pearl Harbor and not internment camps. We've done this before, this ain't a new rodeo.

Some similar thoughts from the creator of Godwin's law:

When you first proposed Godwin's Law, it stated, simply, "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." In other words, such a comparison is, eventually, inevitable. Would you give it the same definition today?

The only thing I would say is that it turns out not to be limited to online discussions. Other than that, it still seems to have some observational value. It’s the worst thing anybody can think of, so if you have some kind of rhetorical escalation with someone you disagree with, it’s sort of easy to go there if you’re not very reflective about what you’re saying.

At what point do you think Hitler and the Nazis will no longer be the go-to comparison comparison, for horrible people, horrible governments, or whatever. I imagine that, in the year 3000, for example, people might not still be doing that.

Well, one thing I think of in comparison to this is that, when I was growing up, people often said, “He’s to the right of Attila the Hun." It doesn’t even really make sense to talk about Attila the Hun in terms of left/right politics, but when they talk about Attila the Hun — and they still do, from time to time — [they do so] without any clear sense of any historical context at all.

The thing it seemed to me worth doing was to prevent the Holocaust from turning into a cliché, or into a handy arrow in someone’s rhetorical quiver. I was entering into the online world pretty deeply in the eighties, and I was offended by how glibly these comparisons came up — almost invariably inappropriately. My feeling was that the more people got into this habit, the less likely that people remembered the historical context of all this. And as you know, one of the injunctions of Holocaust historians is that we must never forget, we have to remember. And I just thought, Well, I’m going to do a little experiment and see if I could make people remember.

I don’t know if this would be a corollary to Godwin’s Law, or if the law has transformed completely, but it’s now come to mean that whoever makes a Nazi comparison first has automatically lost the debate.

I think of it instead as a mutation. The way it mutated is that some people inferred that by the time you go to the Hitler comparisons, it was really hard to have a fruitful discussion or exchange of ideas, which I think is mostly true. And that got reduced to the idea that you had hit what the French call le point Godwin.

With all the hatred building up around Trump and his supporters, what happens if he gets the nomination and then loses in the general election? Will there be a spike in violence against Muslims and Mexicans?

It's also interesting from another perspective, since this will be the first time since the 1930s and 1940s that the GOP would lose three consecutive terms in their bid for the White House. I wonder how the base would take it. When something similar happened to the Democrats in the 1980s, that had to re-brand themselves as more centrist/conservative. Would the GOP finally move closer to the middle, or will they continue to double-down on pushing towards the right.

danm999

With all the hatred building up around Trump and his supporters, what happens if he gets the nomination and then loses in the general election? Will there be a spike in violence against Muslims and Mexicans?

It's also interesting from another perspective, since this will be the first time since the 1930s and 1940s that the GOP would lose three consecutive terms in their bid for the White House. I wonder how the base would take it. When something similar happened to the Democrats in the 1980s, that had to re-brand themselves as more centrist/conservative. Would the GOP finally move closer to the middle, or will they continue to double-down on pushing towards the right.

My continuing guess is they'll blame voter fraud. Begin to see the democratic process as fraudulent itself because its not delivering them the result they want/has been hijacked. That's where things get scary.

The GOP is heading for a party split. just a matter of time.

NeoXChaos

why has it taken so long for the Democrats to accomplish this?

HylianTom

Banned

I've long been convinced that we're going to see more right-wing violence if the GOP should continue to lose general elections.

The Dems were able to pivot/adjust after losing in the 70s and 80s (winning ONE term between 1968 and 1992 - thanks to the help of Watergate), but the idea of compromise or moderation to them is going to be a much bitterer pill to swallow than it was for the Democratic base in the 1980s, as many in the GOP base sincerely, deeply believe that they're:
- commanded by God to vote/act in certain ways; and/or,
- losing "their" country to unAmerican Outsiders.

teiresias

I'm still not convinced Trump would actually gracefully concede on election night even in the face of an absolute electoral blowout. Given this latest rhetoric I'm not even convinced he wouldn't call for armed violence if he lost.

So Trump pretty much cemented another full week of non-stop coverage. He is the master of media puppets.

Being Jeb is a struggle.

danm999

I'm still not convinced Trump would actually gracefully concede on election night even in the face of an absolute electoral blowout. Given this latest rhetoric I'm not even convinced he wouldn't call for armed violence if he lost.

Yeah true. I can't even imagine a Trump concession speech. At the very least you know he'd threaten to sue and scream and fight.

My continuing guess is they'll blame voter fraud. Begin to see the democratic process as fraudulent itself because its not delivering them the result they want/has been hijacked. That's where things get scary.

Perfect time to nominate some judges to the SCOTUS to circumvent their buffoonery. I would love to see the court rule that voter ID laws, and other methods of suppressing the vote, as unconstitutional. Throw in gerrymandering on political bias as another.

why has it taken so long for the Democrats to accomplish this?

FDR/Truman had a strong coalition of Democrats on all fronts. The North, the South, union workers, Dixiecrats, minorities, and liberals. That all splintered in 1965 once the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed. The South and Dixiecrats jumped fence over to the Republicans, and it took nearly thirty years for Democrats to recover on a national level. A lot of it has to do with demographics, and the fact that Republicans are extremely toxic to anyone not a white male. I wonder what happens in 2043 when there's a minority-majority in this country.

Well, I never thought I'd see the real life version of Bob Heller from Transmetropolitan, but Trump's in spitting distance now.

zargle

So Trump pretty much cemented another full week of non-stop coverage. He is the master of media puppets.

Being Jeb is a struggle.

It gets harder every day. Bertram posted it earlier but I didnt' see anyone comment and it may have been lost in the Trumping, but JebBush.com leads to an...interesting place.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is trump just playing chicken with the primary electorate? Brinksmanship hoping not to actually get the nomination?

Edit: also lol at Carson's attempt to 1-up him by saying everyone who comes to the US should be monitored not just Muslims.

A chunk of the conservative base basically hasn't seen Democratic wins as legitimate since at least JFK or even sooner.

jfktreason.jpg

Tarkus

Are you linking to a rubio speech video sourshoes? Need to know because i have things to do and uncontrollably falling asleep will ruin everything

To neo: nixon fucked everything up
Not a speech. You will still need to take your ambien tonight :p

There's no telling how much he paid for that URL.

probably next to nothing, if Jeb let it expire without remembering to renew it. This shit happens all the time, but not usually on this high profile of a site (I could see JebBush.net or JebBush2016.org) with a major candidate.

It was bought recently. I went to jebbush.com a few days ago and it was an unused domain.

This is even worse.

"hey, do you think we should reserve jebbush.com?" "Nah. who would think to go THERE?"

teiresias

So apparently Trump's inexorable need to march the GOP towards fascism was enough for the Huffington Post to move coverage of his campaign out of the entertainment section.

kess

If we had a multi-party parliamentary system, a Trump-led far-right party could probably get 30% of the vote.

And undoubtedly, a few states. The Dixiecrat vacuum had to be filled, and (speaking of losing more than two elections in a row) the GOP getting whomped in 1948 kick started it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom