• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

By running up margins with non-college educated white voters while holding approximately steady with everyone else relative to 2012, which would be significantly easier than you seem to believe

Romney won a larger percent of the white vote than any other politician in over 20 years. And he still got slaughtered.

If you want to win the GE than you have to do very well with Latinos and minority's. Trump is probably going to do even worse with them than Romney.

Haha, I just had the dumbest thought. It'd be hilarious if the establishment was playing 13th dimensional chess, hoping that backing Trump would turn off his anti-establishment supporters.

Drakeon

redditt is spinning it as a good thing for Bernie because they ultimately lose.
Reddit has been fucking insufferable with the Bernie nonsense. It even seeps out to non political subreddits far too often. There is no room to say anything positive about Hillary.

re: the primary race that's slightly less on the side of "already over", nate silver just posted what might be his funniest tweet i've read all cycle

4OfSYRn.png

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I just had the dumbest thought. It'd be hilarious if the establishment was playing 13th dimensional chess, hoping that backing Trump would turn off his anti-establishment supporters.

That plan is negative dimensional, because then they'll just go Cruz.

Yaaaasssss for my queen getting the endorsement. I agree, it probably doesn't move the needle, but I think it could refirm up some of the support the Seltzer poll moved from Hillary to undecided. A point or two is all we would really need. A marginal Hillary win basically means Bernie can't win the delegate math.

So, has the Register been thrown under the bus yet? I assume they have.

NeoXChaos

Yaaaasssss for my queen getting the endorsement. I agree, it probably doesn't move the needle, but I think it could refirm up some of the support the Seltzer poll moved from Hillary to undecided. A point or two is all we would really need. A marginal Hillary win basically means Bernie can't win the delegate math.

So, has the Register been thrown under the bus yet? I assume they have.

you know it thanks to reddit.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/des-moines-register-endorses-clinton-rubio-primary-iowa/

Oh Lord, one of my favorite things I've ever read on DailyKos is someone spinning this endorsement as bad news for John McCain...I mean Hillary Clinton because the DMR also endorsed Rubio. If they wanted to be taken seriously, they should have only endorsed Hillary...and refused to endorse a GOPPER. But, because they went ahead and endorsed Hillary and Rubio, it proves she's a Republican lite.

Oh lawd.

You said that DMR is establishment in the sense that it is old and white. In that sense Bernie could be the most establishment politician running.

That's why I said "establishment" has ceased to have a coherent meaning, except for "everything that does not support us."
Do you know that logic can dictate a relationship one way but not the other? The establishment is old and white /= everyone old and white is part of the establishment.

Basic logic, brah.

Stray thought on the "establishment" somewhat following discussion in here that it's become a term to describe pretty much anything and after Sanders mini-gaffe in including PP and HRC, which has since been walked back.

PP and HRC can certainly be classified under the nebulous term. The NAACP can. EMILY's list. NARAL. Something like Everytown for Gun Safety. The various unions are too. CNN and NYT and the MSM?

The thing is, so far as I can tell, I don't actually think Democrats dislike their establishment, in the same way that the GOP are utterly disenchanted with theirs.

They don't dislike Obama and his White House. At best they're probably indifferent to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

Everybody seemingly loathes DWS, but more because she's DWS than the position she holds or the organisation she leads.

Oh Lord, one of my favorite things I've ever read on DailyKos is someone spinning this endorsement as bad news for John McCain...I mean Hillary Clinton because the DMR also endorsed Rubio. If they wanted to be taken seriously, they should have only endorsed Hillary...and refused to endorse a GOPPER. But, because they went ahead and endorsed Hillary and Rubio, it proves she's a Republican lite.

Oh lawd.
Well no, that's bad logic.

I do think that Hillary should drop the 'working across the aisle' shit, like, yesterday. It's not a primary message that anyone on the left needs to hear. We watched Obama attempt this and there's no reason to believe a centrist Democrat can do that.

Holmes

I do think that Hillary should drop the 'working across the aisle' shit, like, yesterday. It's not a primary message that anyone on the left needs to hear. We watched Obama attempt this and there's no reason to believe a centrist Democrat can do that.
It's a general election talking point. Hardline left-wingers in the Democratic primary might not want to hear it, but it appeals to the 65 y/o suburban grandmother, or the middle aged Cuban from Southern Florida, who vote Republican but are turned off by Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Like over half her speeches have something or other about fighting the republicans tooth and nail.

danm999

The thing is, so far as I can tell, I don't actually think Democrats dislike their establishment, in the same way that the GOP are utterly disenchanted with theirs.

They don't seem to, no.

I mean, there are a minority of Sanders supporters who appear to have a Sanders or bust mentality, but there are plenty who appear willing to support HRC as a fallback.

Oh lawd.
Lol, newspapers do this all the time to look nonpartisan.

In recent memory, Star Tribune endorsed Kerry-Obama-Obama, but were more mixed for downticket races. Klobuchar 06 and 12, Coleman 08 and Franken in 14 for Senate races, Horner in 10 and Dayton in 14 for governor's races... And then in Congressional and state legislature races they're all over the place. It's pretty in line with a moderate, yet firmly Democratic-leaning state.

Last year they endorsed Tim Walz (moderate D), Collin Peterson (conservative D), Erik Paulsen (incumbent R) John Kline (incumbent R) and Stewart Mills (challenger to incumbent D Rick Nolan who's pretty liberal). Districts 4, 5 and 6 didn't get any endorsements because we all knew how they'd vote. 4 and 5 are both based in the Twin Cities and will elect liberals forever, while Bachmann being unhinged was the only factor that made MN-6 (most Republican district in the state) competitive, and ST always endorsed her challengers.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Today's fun game:
Although Mr
. . . . . . . .
s ultra-Keynesian America is barrelling along towards full employment, all its trading and budget accounts are frighteningly out of balance. A sound international economic order cannot be built on the assumption that the rumbustiously richest country will go on borrowing unprecedented amounts at enormous interest rates from everybody else for ever.”

Guess what newspaper it is, talking about who, in what year.

Oh lawd.

But...that's what the DMR does when there is no incumbent in the race - they nominate two candidates , a republican and a democrat.

Today's fun game:
Although Mr
. . . . . . . .
s ultra-Keynesian America is barrelling along towards full employment, all its trading and budget accounts are frighteningly out of balance. A sound international economic order cannot be built on the assumption that the rumbustiously richest country will go on borrowing unprecedented amounts at enormous interest rates from everybody else for ever.”

I'm gonna guess Roosevelt, in... 1939 or so, by the Wall Street Journal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think Fiorina. Fiorina, unlike Cruz, has not a leg to stand on like...anywhere. Horrible in business, simply horrible. Just horrible. She has never won anything. She's just a huge loser. She is a female who denies the existence of institutional sexism. She is, like Cruz, a liar. The media also tried to make her happen at least three times. She's basically breaking the law with her superpac.

And she still won't go away.

I think Fiorina. Fiorina, unlike Cruz, has not a leg to stand on like...anywhere. Horrible in business, simply horrible. Just horrible. She has never won anything. She's just a huge loser. She is a female who denies the existence of institutional sexism. She is, like Cruz, a liar. The media also tried to make her happen at least three times. She's basically breaking the law with her superpac.

Fiorina will be gone soon. Cruz is going to be in the Senate for at least another 8 years.

SmokeMaxX

You're probably right. I think Cruz would at least attempt to charm you before stabbing you in the back. Fiorina would probably just ask you to turn around.

Today's fun game:
Although Mr
. . . . . . . .

New York Post, Eisenhower, 1954. *shrug*

That's a rough pick. Damn. I reeeally don't like Fiorina. She seems joyless.

At least Ted's willing to do bad Simpsons impersonations, and I share his like of The Princess Bride.
I'm in the same boat. I can tolerate Ted but not Carly. Ted is also accomplished (in his own way), arguing in Supreme Court, etc. For reference, I used to mute whenever Carly started speaking during the earlier debates. She is absolutely unbearable.

Today's fun game:
Although Mr
. . . . . . . .

Having googled and cheated
Reagen 1984, no endorsement for either side, very interesting

There are a lot of things one can criticize Hillary Clinton on. I can provide a few, even though I'm a supporter. However, her being naive about what Republicans are capable of, and would do, when she becomes President is not one of them.

I do not believe she's talking about winning GOP support. Instead, I think she's talking about holding the Dem caucus together. With Bernie there, his agenda is not going to be passed even if we manage a majority in both houses. It's just too liberal. He'd get some of what he wants, and I bet, dollars to doughnuts, it would be identical to the things Hillary is proposing. She knows where the votes are.

It's a general election talking point. Hardline left-wingers in the Democratic primary might not want to hear it, but it appeals to the 65 y/o suburban grandmother, or the middle aged Cuban from Southern Florida, who vote Republican but are turned off by Trump.
Great. Save it for the general.

There are a lot of things one can criticize Hillary Clinton on. I can provide a few, even though I'm a supporter. However, her being naive about what Republicans are capable of, and would do, when she becomes President is not one of them.

I do not believe she's talking about winning GOP support. Instead, I think she's talking about holding the Dem caucus together. With Bernie there, his agenda is not going to be passed even if we manage a majority in both houses. It's just too liberal. He'd get some of what he wants, and I bet, dollars to doughnuts, it would be identical to the things Hillary is proposing. She knows where the votes are.
We would never be sure that Hillary was really trying that hard. That's the plain and simple view from the left.

We would never be sure that Hillary was really trying that hard. That's the plain and simple view from the left.

giphy.gif

Trying hard and accomplishing nothing results in absolutely nothing. Bernie wants to lead the country he's created in his mind. It's just not the United States of America. Hillary knows what she can accomplish. That's the stuff she's offering. Not a unicorn in every garage and a golden goose in every pot.

And, please, do not speak for the "left." I am the left. Just because I'm neither an ideologue nor willfully ignoring the political reality in this country doesn't make me less left wing than any one else.

We, literally, cannot allow ourselves to fall into the Tea Party "Not conservative enough" shit. It's absolutely ridiculous.

NeoXChaos

giphy.gif

Trying hard and accomplishing nothing results in absolutely nothing. Bernie wants to lead the country he's created in his mind. It's just not the United States of America. Hillary knows what she can accomplish. That's the stuff she's offering. Not a unicorn in every garage and a golden goose in every pot.

And, please, do not speak for the "left." I am the left. Just because I'm neither an ideologue nor willfully ignoring the political reality in this country doesn't make me less left wing than any one else.

We, literally, cannot allow ourselves to fall into the Tea Party "Not conservative enough" shit. It's absolutely ridiculous.

agreed. I've notice that too much in the Bernie/Hillary wars threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom