• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people make this a thing? It shouldn't matter. And it comes off as horribly elitist.

Besides, one could flip it around and say that all the degrees in the Wisconsin Democratic Party didn't save them from getting their ass handed to them. Thrice.

Don't make it personal. Better instead to focus on his performance.

I didn't say campaign on it. It is just kinda weird. I think he'll sink himself eventually. He's just too goofy.

benjipwns

Banned
Though maybe Trace Adkins, and we could have him enter rooms/the Senate to "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk."

Or better yet, replace the national anthem with it.

Mike M

Nick N
I can't envision a first debate featuring Trump where the other participants don't dogpile the shit out of him. Even the fringe nut candidates have to recognize he's a liability.

Ecotic

I can't envision a first debate featuring Trump where the other participants don't dogpile the shit out of him. Even the fringe nut candidates have to recognize he's a liability.

Prisoner's dilemma. Oh sure, it'd be great for the field if everyone dogpiled him, but it'd really suck to be the first guy to do it, catch a nasty zinger, and then have everyone else chicken out. Trump later launches a multimillion dollar scorched earth campaign to call you a loser so that no one ever tries that again.

benjipwns

Banned
So, I wondered if there was a potential Democratic candidate in the current or near future who could run on essentially Ross Perot's platform.

Pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-religion, pro-Obamacare, pro-tough-on-crime, pro-gun-control, pro-higher taxes, anti-immigration, anti-free trade, pro-intervention, pro-military cuts, pro-green energy/environmentalism, pro-campaign finance limitations, anti-drugs, anti-vouchers.

I don't particularly care for OnTheIssues but it generally lands in a decent area based on the responses.

Andrew Cuomo came out closest at 60%.

Al Franken at 55%, Mark Warner at 55% (though 70% on social issues) and Steve Beshear at 55% (75% on social issues).

Worst match among everyone was Sean Parnell at 8%. Rick Snyder scored a 0% on economic issues lol

Also,
jw7R3VO.png

Bar graphs, how do they work?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
B-Dubs is probably grinning like a kid in a candy store.

:lol

You have no idea. I wish I still had that part-time gig doing comedy news summaries, I could have killed it with this material. Too bad the site went under. :(

Ugh, he'd just pick Piers Morgan or Joan Rivers.

TRUMP/PIERS would be like the douche-iest ticket of all goddamn time, I LOVE IT!

DO IT TRUMP! DO IT!

It would just embolden him to the base and would play into whatever narrative he's trying to spin. Besides, how do you dogpile on him when you have no goddamned idea what he's going to say? His own lack of planning is his greatest protection in the debates.

So, I wondered if there was a potential Democratic candidate in the current or near future who could run on essentially Ross Perot's platform.

Pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-religion, pro-Obamacare, pro-tough-on-crime, pro-gun-control, pro-higher taxes, anti-immigration, anti-free trade, pro-intervention, pro-military cuts, pro-green energy/environmentalism, pro-campaign finance limitations, anti-drugs, anti-vouchers.

I don't particularly care for OnTheIssues but it generally lands in a decent area based on the responses.

Andrew Cuomo came out closest at 60%.

Al Franken at 55%, Mark Warner at 55% (though 70% on social issues) and Steve Beshear at 55% (75% on social issues).

Worst match among everyone was Sean Parnell at 8%. Rick Snyder scored a 0% on economic issues lol

Also,
jw7R3VO.png

Bar graphs, how do they work?

After his "education reform" in New York he'd be dead in the water during the primaries.

Is that a FOX News bar graph? Goddamn.

Jackson50

TRUMP 2016
Oh my god. My liberal PC sensibilities cannot withstand the unassailable truth of his statements. Please stop quoting him.
Prisoner's dilemma. Oh sure, it'd be great for the field if everyone dogpiled him, but it'd really suck to be the first guy to do it, catch a nasty zinger, and then have everyone else chicken out. Trump later launches a multimillion dollar scorched earth campaign to call you a loser so that no one ever tries that again.
I think it's more like the stag hunt. You want everyone to cooperatively act whereas the efficient outcome in the PD is inaction.
I'm just disappointed. Every election brings in a crazier PM in Israel and even more right wing legislature. We went from Ehud Barak (who was somewhat ok) to a streak of right wingers: The Butcher of Beirut, Ehud Olmert to Netanyahu. If the trend continues, we'll end up with even more crazy people than Netanyahu as the PMs of Israel.

It's not going to end. I believe Obama was best positioned to salvage the peace talks. I know that Bibi's government and some Palestinian factions do not want peace. But surely there is some political tricks that can be used? Funding? Leveraging regional support? Championing King Abdullah Peace Initiative? The administration just doesn't want to broach the subject because it plays out bad politically. And while we talk, more Palestinians are getting kicked out of their homes to build settler colonies. It never ends.
I don't think Obama's afraid simply that it will look bad politically. I think he's aware that most of the political establishment would revolt against any action that would apply pressure to Israel. Good leaders have to make unpopular choices. But if there's no expectation of support, it would be a fool's errand. Lamentably, I don't see a realistic path for progress at the moment.

Farmboy

Iowa, NH, and SC are for killing off the campaigns that haven't built a functioning campaign organization.

But winning them can keep such a campaign afloat for a bit longer, Huckabee and Santorum are two great examples actually.

March 1st should handle those this time around.

Agree completely. The calendar certainly has an effect still. Rubio especially could be in a far better position if the order was different.

By the way, I'm diablosing a bit about Trump making Bush look good to independents. Assure me Bush can't defeat Hillary, PoliGaf.

benjipwns

Banned
Mickey Kaus seems to also believe that Trump is being pushed secretly by Jeb! allies to make the other candidates chase Trump and leave Jeb! as the "only choice" in the end.

Mickey Kaus seems to also believe that Trump is being pushed secretly by Jeb! allies to make the other candidates chase Trump and leave Jeb! as the "only choice" in the end.
Only if Jeb! likes to stay losing. Trump's antics will force him to spell out his moderate take on immigration.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Trump's ego wouldn't let him destroy business relationships over it, which is clearly happening.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would vote for Omarosa manigault-stallworth, a fine connoisseur of waters, before i would vote for Bernie sanders. Electability matters and who would be more than Omarosa manigault-stallworth, who took practically a building caving in on her head and still remained a hero?

Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Donald Trump, Ben Carson and six others would be in the first Republican presidential debate next month, while two governors, a U.S. senator and the 2012 Iowa Republican caucus winner would be out, according to a survey by NBC News’ political unit.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article26642914.html

At the moment, according to NBC’s calculations, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former business executive Carly Fiorina, 2012 Iowa winner Rick Santorum and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., would not qualify for the main event.

OhhWjH3.jpg

I had a dream last night where I put up a big predictions list for 2016.

That's right I had a dream about PoliGAF.

From what I remember it wasn't even particularly outrageous, I was quite lucid when making the predictions.

Weird.

NeoXChaos

John Roberts, liberal favorite?
According to a new Morning Consult poll out Tuesday, 51 percent of self-identified Democratic voters and 57 percent of self-identified liberals approve of the Supreme Court justice’s job performance. Just 19 percent of Democratic voters and 20 percent of liberals expressed disapproval with Roberts.The survey shows that half of self-described Republicans and 55 percent of self-identified conservatives disapprove of the chief justice’s work. His approval numbers among Republicans and conservatives: 29 percent and 23 percent, respectively.

haha

If possible can you list them?
Hillary will probably win by a margin between Obama's 08/12 performances. FL could flip to the Republicans, NC could flip to the Democrats. I didn't really get into much of how specific swing states would go.

GOP nominee will be Bush, Walker is too stupid, Rubio is too green and Paul is a non-entity. The tickets will be Clinton-Kaine and Bush-Kasich. Bush-Kasich will be lauded by the press as a smart move to win both Ohio and Florida whereas political analysts/nerds will know that Clinton shoring up Virginia will be more important, and furthermore Clinton might win by such a large margin that any perceived home state advantage for the GOP ticket won't save those states.

Senate-wise: Democrats pick up WI/IL easily and gain back the Senate. I don't remember the exact calculus of this (other than those two states mentioned) but I think it was like 5-6 seats? House I dismissed as a lost cause anyway but Democrats will pick up like 10-15 seats thanks to low-hanging fruit from the 2014 elections (fluke GOP wins like ME-2, IA-3 and NV-4).

Didn't say anything about gubernatorial races because in the dream I couldn't remember which ones were on the ballot.

Anyway quote this in a year and four months

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think Carson (if he makes it through the debates without sounding like a complete imbecile) is a viable choice for VP on the GOP side. He has high approval ratings among the general public and is a minority, which they may (foolishly) think could bring in minority votes.

Of course, the huge catch is getting through the primary without putting his foot in his mouth, which I'll believe when I see.

NeoXChaos

I still think Carson (if he makes it through the debates without sounding like a complete imbecile) is a viable choice for VP on the GOP side. He has high approval ratings among the general public and is a minority, which they may (foolishly) think could bring in minority votes.

Of course, the huge catch is getting through the primary without putting his foot in his mouth, which I'll believe when I see.

There are way better minority candidates for VP and Carson is not want of them. I expect Sandoval to be apart of a final 3 if Bush becomes the nominee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom