• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory ain't what it once was, but didn't the protestors cut him off as soon as he started formulating a response?

They kept interrupting his opening statement. Obviously a better candidate would have slightly amended his opening statement as a reaction to the room but I understood why Sanders didn't. Then during the question period he addressed some of their concerns but they cut him off during economic talk.

Nevermind that about 1/4th of the BLM demands list is about economics.

He'll "fail", in that he won't win the election, but I don't think even Trump truly believes him becoming president is a likely scenario.

But running as an independent candidate will give him the satisfaction of being a player all throughout the general election, and possibly having a major impact on the race itself. And it would keep him in the news cycle throughout 2016.

Yeah. Maybe you're right. I dunno. Why am I even trying to psychoanalyze a candidate? It's a fools errand. Either way, as entertaining as Trump is, I hope he doesn't run third party. I feel like doing so would increase R turnout, and they'll vote R down ticket no matter who they pick as President.

dramatis

benji cut it out, but the article does mention
(When Vice President Joe Biden was interrupted by pro-immigration protesters at the prior Netroots Nation, he paused, applauded them, and answered their concerns.)
Hillary was booed the last time she attended in 2007.

As far as I know, neither of them walked out early just because they were being interrupted or jeered at. O'Malley got interrupted too, but he handled it better than Bernie even if he gaffed. bishoptl said it in the other thread, that shit isn't presidential. It just makes it look like Bernie has gotten too comfy with adoring crowds to be able to withstand some heckling.

thefro

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/248910-exclusive-trump-threatens-third-party-run

The Trump card has been played

Donald Trump says the chances that he will launch a third-party White House run will “absolutely” increase if the Republican National Committee is unfair to him during the 2016 primary season.

“The RNC has not been supportive. They were always supportive when I was a contributor. I was their fair-haired boy,” the business mogul told The Hill in a 40-minute interview from his Manhattan office at Trump Tower on Wednesday. “The RNC has been, I think, very foolish.”

Pressed on whether he would run as a third-party candidate if he fails to clinch the GOP nomination, Trump said that “so many people want me to, if I don’t win.”

“I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans,” Trump said. “Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor.”

HylianTom

Banned
I'm convinced: if Twitter can make #RunTrumpRun trend worldwide for just a week or so, he's in. He has tied a part of his personality - his ego - to that Twitter account. If his notifications catch fire, I don't know if he could resist.

He runs, Hillary wins, the GOP gets another excuse to not adjust for another Presidential election (it's his fault we lost!).. it'd be glorious.

Bowdz

The best part about the current debate line up (provided the polls don't shift too much) is that the B-Tier debate will probably be more substantive and less of a clown show than the A-Tier debate. B-Tier looks like it will have Santorum, Pataki, Jindal, Fiorina, Graham, and Kasich. There are definitely a lot of people I wholeheartedly disagree with in that lineup, but they will at least stay on topic and probably have a decent policy debate. Also, with the lower candidate count, they will probably have more speaking time per candidate.

A-Tier is going to be rowdy.

Trump is such a just reward for half a decade of GOP refusal to cast out extremism.

You let these Tea Party nutcases invade your party and eventually they'll rip it apart.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I would like to see this scorched earth Trump call out some people on their hypocrisies. Saying one thing and voting another way and so forth. Or doing something federally and the opposite at state level. I don't just mean Republicans, but all politicians.

I feel like the media is afraid to do some of these things, but with the right person starting the conversation they would gladly hop on.

The best part about the current debate line up (provided the polls don't shift too much) is that the B-Tier debate will probably be more substantive and less of a clown show than the A-Tier debate. B-Tier looks like it will have Santorum, Pataki, Jindal, Fiorina, Graham, and Kasich. There are definitely a lot of people I wholeheartedly disagree with in that lineup, but they will at least stay on topic and probably have a decent policy debate. Also, with the lower candidate count, they will probably have more speaking time per candidate.

Wait, there's going to be a B-tier debate? I thought those people just didn't get a debate. Interesting.

NeoXChaos

Why would they shift when they control both branches of congress, not to mention a huge majority of governorships and state legislatures? Add that to the fact that the democrats are a party with almost no back-bone, and the GOP can get most of what they want without holding the executive branch.

People need to stop kidding themselves and realize that a large, large percentage of the electorate supports and believes in even the most abhorrent aspects of the GOP's platform, and that a GOP presidency is a lot more likely than the democrats somehow reversing the GOP's grip on the house, the senate, and state governments.

I guess I agree with this but it is reversible eventually. A loss with trump playing spoiler won't change much of the Republicans grip on government across the country.

I'd be willing to listen to Fiorina and Kasich, but that's about it.

You know if Trump would get some coaching and sort of settle in he could go for the long run. But there is no chance that happens so crash and burn quite early it is.

NeoXChaos

Given the near certainty of Hillary’s bid, Bush’s logic about his brother Jeb entering the campaign was mathematical: “What difference does it make,” he said at the time, “if the order is Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama/Clinton or it is Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama/Bush?”

Even if the nation longed for a fresh face, the fantastic plot twist of 2016 was that someone named Bush still stood a chance. To 43, at least, the downside of one dynasty canceled the downside of the other.

haha. He is right though. If not for Obama we certainly would have gotten Clinton.

Anyone see the PPP national poll? Clinton -10 favorability spread. PD was right all along.
PPP always shows vastly depressed favorables for everyone compared to the results of all other pollsters. The only person that ever seems to do alright is Ben Carson and he's still -3 here (and he's the only candidate with statistically better numbers than Clinton).

I'm not sure what part of PPP's methodology causes this. Maybe because it's an automated phone poll so people aren't pressured to provide a certain response like in a live phone call? But that wouldn't explain why anonymous internet polls like YouGov align with all the other polls in showing better favorables.

benjipwns

Banned
PPP always shows vastly depressed favorables for everyone compared to the results of all other pollsters. The only person that ever seems to do alright is Ben Carson and he's still -3 here (and he's the only candidate with statistically better numbers than Clinton).

I'm not sure what part of PPP's methodology causes this. Maybe because it's an automated phone poll so people aren't pressured to provide a certain response like in a live phone call? But that wouldn't explain why anonymous internet polls like YouGov align with all the other polls in showing better favorables.
PPP is now 80/20 phone/internet according to their recent polls.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TPM: How Walker Turned 'Job Creation' Into a Goodie Bag for Campaign Donors

Kasich similarly privatized the Ohio Department of Development into "JobsOhio." Wouldn't be surprised if it has had similarly shady dealings. (JobsOhio's books are, quite conveniently, not open for public or even government scrutiny.)

Walker's record is a disaster.

If he somehow gets to the GE, all the democrats have to do is effectively build commercials/ads around this type of stuff. It's infuriating to the common worker.

One reason Walker worries me:

Late 2017 is when the first Public Service Loan Forgiveness loan elimination will be ready to start. As a teacher, I've been looking forward to this for years. I fear a President Walker and republican Congress would rip this right out from under the feet of every teacher/public service worker in a heartbeat.

Keep talking Trump!

GOP’s Favorability Rating Takes a Negative Turn
The Republican Party’s image has grown more negative over the first half of this year. Currently, 32% have a favorable impression of the Republican Party, while 60% have an unfavorable view. Favorable views of the GOP have fallen nine percentage points since January. The Democratic Party continues to have mixed ratings (48% favorable, 47% unfavorable).

The Democratic Party has often held an edge over the GOP in favorability in recent years, but its advantage had narrowed following the Republicans’ midterm victory last fall. Today, the gap is as wide as it has been in more than two years.

Republicans, in particular, are now more critical of their own party than they were a few months ago. About two-thirds (68%) express a favorable opinion of their party, the lowest share in more than two years. Six months ago, 86% of Republicans viewed the GOP positively. Independents also view the Republican Party less favorably; 29% today, compared with 37% six months ago.

On issues, the Democratic Party holds double-digit advantages as better able to handle the environment (by a margin of 53% to 27%), abortion and contraception policies (50% to 31%), education (46% to 34%) and health care (46% to 36%). The Republican Party has wide leads for better reflecting people’s views on gun control (48% to 36%) and dealing with the terrorist threat at home (44% to 34%).

7-23-2015-1-55-09-PM.png

7-23-2015-1-55-46-PM.png

Walker's record is a disaster.

If he somehow gets to the GE, all the democrats have to do is effectively build commercials/ads around this type of stuff. It's infuriating to the common worker.

Yeah, the brazenness of Walker's palm greasing is quite astonishing.

Kasich has at least done a better job of concealing his.

Wilsongt

Not wanting be outdone by Trump, here comes Jeb!

GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush suggested that the United States should figure out a way to “phase out” Medicare, the federal program that provides insurance to more than 50 million elderly and disabled people, at a political event on Wednesday night.

MSNBC reports that Bush was speaking at an event sponsored by Americans for Prosperity, a right-wing group backed by the billionaire Koch Brothers that has doggedly advocated against fully implementing the Affordable Care Act.

In his comments, Bush referenced Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) politically contentious plan to radically restructure the Medicare program — which independent analysts predicted would more than double health costs for the average 65-year-old — and criticized progressive lawmakers for failing to engage with Ryan’s proposals. Despite recent evidence that the program’s finances are secure, the former Florida governor suggested that Medicare isn’t solvent.

“I think a lot of people recognize that we need to make sure we fulfill the commitment to people that have already received the benefits, that are receiving the benefits. But that we need to figure out a way to phase out this program for others and move to a new system that allows them to have something — because they’re not going to have anything,” Bush said.

As MSNBC’s Steve Benen points out, the position that the United States should end Medicare altogether is radical even among Republicans, who typically avoid taking the stance that the massive federal health program should be eliminated.

GOP lawmakers have pushed back on Democrats’ characterization that Ryan’s proposal to privatize Medicare amounts to “ending the program as we know it,” maintaining that they simply want to reform it. Even so, efforts to implement those reforms have been unsuccessful in Congress, largely because the health program is very popular among seniors and talking about changing it can be a political liability. This spring, Republicans quietly dropped the proposed policy in budget negotiations, and analysts predicted that the party might finally be giving up the fight against Medicare.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/07/23/3683804/jeb-bush-medicare/

Time until backtrack or "clarification"?

Teggy

TRUMCP?

The Let’s Fire TRUMP PAC filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to create the political action committee on Wednesday that turns Trump’s famous catchphrase from his time as the host of NBC’s “The Apprentice” back on him.
In order to follow FEC rules that only allow a candidate’s name to be used in an authorized group, the filing notes that TRUMP is an “acronym of Terrible Radicals Undermining Middle Class People.”

That can't be real, he just can't be that stupid. He literally just murdered his campaign before the first debate.

Maybe he's poking the third rail to see if it's got any juice left in it.

More likely, his campaign staff is panicking and trying to get him some air time in the midst of the Trumpnado.

I wouldn't mind so much if they just phased out Medicare now. Seniors gave us Majority Leader Boehner in 2010 and Majority Leader McConnell in 2014. Give them what they want.

Just so long as it happens right now. I've got 40 years to put together a retirement portfolio.

Apologies to besada and others who would be wrecked by this.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What is this Nevada poll Trump keeps quoting?
He said Nevada Pole

The Polish people are hard workers and their words are trustworthy. Trump will absolutely win the Polish vote, and the Latino vote.

He also has a very high IQ and would have negotiated a better deal with [other country]

Edit:
I wouldn't mind so much if they just phased out Medicare now. Seniors gave us Majority Leader Boehner in 2010 and Majority Leader McConnell in 2014. Give them what they want.

Just so long as it happens right now. I've got 40 years to put together a retirement portfolio.

Apologies to besada and others who would be wrecked by this.
Ah, the old "fuck you, I could probably still get mine if we leave. right. now."

Wait what? ;)

Wilsongt

The GOP are probing... Planned Parenthood.

Republican presidential candidates and lawmakers are calling for Planned Parenthood to be investigated and its federal funding eliminated after two videos that critics said showed the reproductive health care group is involved in the illegal sale of aborted fetal tissue.

White House hopeful Senator Rand Paul introduced an amendment to a highway bill Wednesday that would cut the nearly $500 million in taxpayer funding that goes annually to Planned Parenthood.

“Not one more taxpayer dollar should go to Planned Parenthood and I intend to make that goal a reality,” Paul said.

Republican Representative Diane Black introduced a bill on Tuesday that would place an immediate moratorium on all federal funding for one year while Congress investigates the group’s practices. Eighty lawmakers signed on as co-sponsors.

The videos show Planned Parenthood officials discussing ways to perform abortions to preserve fetal tissue for research and the costs involved. They were secretly recorded by anti-abortion group Center for Medical Progress.

Planned Parenthood says it does not profit from fetal tissue donation and only receives payment for associated costs, which is legally permissible.

“It just troubles me that you would sell body parts,” Politico quoted Jeb Bush, a leading candidate for the Republican nomination for the 2016 election, as saying.

“Congress has every right to investigate these abuses, because (Planned Parenthood) receives $500 million from the federal government,” former Florida Governor Bush said during a visit to a crisis pregnancy center in South Carolina.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/republicans-seek-probe-of-abortion-rules-after-124829445297.html

And just in case any actually forgot what PP does for a living.

plannedparenthoodgraph.jpg

I am sure that "pregnancy crisis center" Jeb visited here in SC was just a "You want to keep the baby. Keep the baby. Think of all of the wonderful things you can do with that baby. Fuck the nearly $20K costs of actually having the child you'll have to pay even if you put it up for adoption. Go ahead. It doesn't matter if you're 16. Keep the baby."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom