• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think that's what this is about? Lol

45Y1QXq.jpg

^ this is what I'm calling stupid

Jooney

If only Obama knew how to lead, we wouldn't be undermining his leadership in foreign policy.

I really can't stand these babies.

It gets better.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...s-admit-that-iran-letter-was-a-dumb-idea.html

Republican aides were taken aback by what they thought was a light-hearted attempt to signal to Iran and the public that Congress should have a role in the ongoing nuclear discussions. Two GOP aides separately described their letter as a “cheeky” reminder of the Congressional branch’s prerogatives.

“The administration has no sense of humor when it comes to how weakly they have been handling these negotiations,” said a top GOP Senate aide.

All class.

No it proves liberals can be cheneyites when they want to be.

This is stupid. Five minutes of googling would tell you it really doesn't apply to congress, its probably unconstitutionally vague and that tom cotton while and idiot isn't trying to help iran bomb the US or something stupid.

They shouldn't have address people who heard one law and pretend they know what they are talking about. The law was specifically written in regards to the Quasi war in the 18th century. It was passed at the same time as the alien and sedition acts and was a deeply partisan law and time. And hasn't been used for over 200 years.

The petition site is silly doesn't do anything, isn't democratic, and makes the white house respond to stupid ideas

The petition is dumb and it's obviously not treason, but I'm glad people are pissed about the Iran letter. I think everyone has gotten so used to Republican bullshit that it's been far too long since a considerable number of people have been properly outraged by their stupidity.

I think these people would be better served by writing their senators, admonishing them for signing this stupid letter.

HylianTom

Banned
Looks like Michigan is reconsidering its electoral vote distribution plan, but a different version. Under the new proposal, the state winner gets two votes and the other votes are determined by district. So, for example, Obama (who won the state by about 10% in 2012) would've gotten 7EVs to Romney's 9.

Should be interesting to see the response to this. The GOP knows they're a bit screwed on the map, so nothing would surprise me..

Diablos

Looks like Michigan is reconsidering its electoral vote distribution plan, but a different version. Under the new proposal, the state winner gets two votes and the other votes are determined by district. So, for example, Obama (who won the state by about 10% in 2012) would've gotten 7EVs to Romney's 9.

Should be interesting to see the response to this. The GOP knows they're a bit screwed on the map, so nothing would surprise me..
b-b-b-but Snyder said he's not going to revisit that.

I think this will make a comeback not only in MI but WI, OH and FL as well. It's too tempting. They can do it, they have all branches of government. Would likely be considered in IA too if Dems didn't control the Senate by two votes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
they didn't violate the logan act. liberals should stop being idiots about this

I think conservatives are just getting a dose of their own medicine as they cry foul and impeachment and treason every few months against democrats/the president. The vast majority realizes it was just stupidity, but it's a media game at this point. And to think it was the republicans' own doing too.

I think this will make a comeback not only in MI but WI, OH and FL as well. It's too tempting. They can do it, they have all branches of government. Would likely be considered in IA too if Dems didn't control the Senate by two votes.
Even if these state legislatures pass them, I can't see any of them sticking for very long, especially in states like Ohio and Michigan that allow citizen-led ballot initiatives where they could likely be overturned.

Diablos

Even if these state legislatures pass them, I can't see any of them sticking for very long, especially in states like Ohio and Michigan that allow citizen-led ballot initiatives where they could likely be overturned.
Yeah right... most voters probably don't even understand the implcations of such a plan before it's too late. "Gerrymandering the electoral vote" sounds so nerdy and nuanced to Joe Voter.

Yeah right... most voters probably don't even understand the implcations of such a plan before it's too late. "Gerrymandering the electoral vote" sounds so nerdy and nuanced to Joe Voter.

Even if they didn't overturn it, they'd learn quickly in the next election when the statewide winner only gets a third of the state's electoral votes. That's bound to create a huge amount of outrage.

I really don't see this idea catching on. It would inevitably (though probably not immediately) open up district mapping and the Electoral College to far greater public scrutiny. I don't think Republicans want to see their ability to gerrymander limited, nor do they want to create a nationwide movement toward the abolishment of the Electoral College in favor of a popular vote. Either scenario would be truly devastating for them.

I feel like gerrymandering the EV in Ohio and Florida could backfire for the Republicans. Don't they need every single EV they can get from those states to win? It might decrease the margin of Hilary's victory but i doubt it would change the ultimate outcome.

Also, that EV change would simply cause Democrats to spend more resources on the non-urban districts that they currently ignore. There would be zero need for them to drive up numbers in cities like they traditionally do in national or state wide elections. Using presidential elections to boost Democrat registration and turnout in other districts would have interesting down-ticket effects that could really backfire on some state legislators.

Tim-E

I don't think this "email scandal" will amount to anything electorally, but the overconfidence and dismissive attitude she and her team of people seem to be having about the reaction to it is reminding me of why I didn't like her in 2007-2008.

pigeon

Banned

I doubt it. Jonathan Bernstein has written about this a couple of times.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-11-12/republicans-arent-rigging-the-electoral-college
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...cans-probably-wont-rig-the-electoral-college/

Two reasons why this is unlikely:

1. Any change like this disempowers the state and the state's politicians while empowering the national party. If Michigan passes this bill it suddenly has the electoral importance of Nebraska. But the people who have to pass this change are the state politicians who will be losing power and influence.
2. The implicit message of a change like this is that, although Republicans control Michigan/Florida/Wisconsin, they are fundamentally blue states that Democrats will continue to win. So to want to pass this bill, you have to believe that you got into office basically on a fluke and don't really represent your state. But you probably don't believe that, because you're a politician. You probably believe that you're the next wave of Republican dominance of these "swing states." In which case, why would you dilute their electoral effectiveness?

ivysaur12

Banned
I doubt it. Jonathan Bernstein has written about this a couple of times.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-11-12/republicans-arent-rigging-the-electoral-college
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...cans-probably-wont-rig-the-electoral-college/

Two reasons why this is unlikely:

1. Any change like this disempowers the state and the state's politicians while empowering the national party. If Michigan passes this bill it suddenly has the electoral importance of Nebraska. But the people who have to pass this change are the state politicians who will be losing power and influence.
2. The implicit message of a change like this is that, although Republicans control Michigan/Florida/Wisconsin, they are fundamentally blue states that Democrats will continue to win. So to want to pass this bill, you have to believe that you got into office basically on a fluke and don't really represent your state. But you probably don't believe that, because you're a politician. You probably believe that you're the next wave of Republican dominance of these "swing states." In which case, why would you dilute their electoral effectiveness?

Exactly -- it could backfire tremendously going forward unless they believe that they are in a true blue state. And if they didn't do it before, they're not going to do it now, even if they flirt with the idea.

Then what happens when you have a strong GOP candidate and a weak Democratic one? You're giving them free EVs.

Did any prominent Democrat actually manage to rise up in notability during the "e-mail conspiracy"? Because if there wasn't one, it looks like Hilary is still the prime candidate.

And I just got an ad about how Rep. Nunes and others are standing up to Obama. What?

I don't think this "email scandal" will amount to anything electorally, but the overconfidence and dismissive attitude she and her team of people seem to be having about the reaction to it is reminding me of why I didn't like her in 2007-2008.

IDK she answered the questions. What more can she do?

I don't see her has being overconfident but tired of dealing with the circus that surrounds her. Its insane how the beltway turns into slobbering idiots when an issue involves the clintons.

Wilsongt

Continuing his long-running crusade against marriage equality, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) told an Iowa radio host Monday that liberty is imperiled unless Congress passes his amendment allowing states to deny gay couples the right to marry.

“If the citizens of the state of Iowa or the citizens of the state of Texas want to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman … the states have the constitutional authority to do so and the federal government and unelected judges cannot set aside the democratically elected legislature’s reasonable decisions to enact and protect traditional marriage,” Cruz told radio host Jan Mickelson.

The likely 2016 presidential candidate added, “If the courts were following the Constitution, we shouldn’t need a new amendment, but they are, as you put it quite rightly, making it up right now and it’s a real danger to our liberty.”

Okie-dokie.

There were two op-ed columns in the paper today whining about the Clinton Foundation. Is this supposed to be the second part of a one-two punch? Because lol.

ivysaur12

Banned
Mason Dixon poll for Florida Senate:

Marco Rubio is 46/21 (with 29 neutral/4 don't recognize). Wasserman-Schultz is 19/36 (then 21/24). Patrick Murphy is 16/3 (with 14 neutral/67 don't recognize).

Statewide, Rubio holds comfortable leads over potential Democratic challengers U.S. Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz (53%-36%) and U.S. Representative Patrick Murphy (50%-38%). In each potential race, he draws solid Republican support and runs ahead among two important swing voting groups – independents and Hispanics.

It is interesting that Murphy -- whose name is recognized by only 33% of Florida voters -- runs stronger against Rubio than the far better known Wasserman Schultz (76% name recognition). From these numbers, it is clear that Murphy offers a cleaner slate for Democrats to work with than Wasserman Schultz. Murphy has only 3% unfavorable name recognition, while Wasserman Schultz’s is significantly higher. Statewide, her favorable/unfavorable numbers are upside down by almost a 2-to-1 margin (19% favorable to 36% unfavorable).

If Rubio sticks with his presidential run, the GOP has a strong back-up candidate in State CFO Jeff Atwater. Atwater leads both potential Democrats – holding a 45%-35% advantage over Wasserman Schultz and a 46%-32% lead over Murphy.

Although the “undecided” vote is twice as large with Atwater as the Republican candidate, it is largely the result of having lower name recognition than Rubio. Statewide, Rubio has 96% name recognition, compared to just 68% for Atwater.

Atwater is also not encumbered by any significant negatives after running two successful statewide campaigns. Only 5% of Florida voters say their opinion of Atwater is unfavorable.

It is still early in the game and everything hinges on Rubio’s final decision. In the meantime, other candidates may surface as Democrats try to determine who would give them the best chance to put the Florida Senate seat in play during the 2016 presidential election cycle.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
PPP has Feingold leading Johnson 50-41, good lord.

Validation of my 2010 optimism is all I seek.

Is this a poll they ran for shits n giggles or has he said he's thought about running? And why can't he just run against Walker for crissakes?

pigeon

Banned
I know it plays with the base, but I'm a little shocked to see "national hopeful" politicians continue down this path.

At this point it's clear that Cruz either doesn't want to be President, or doesn't understand how to be President. Cruz is theoretically pretty smart, so I can only guess it's the former. For the latter to be true, he'd have to be sheltered by yes-men to the extent that he would have difficulty knowing what day it was.

At this point it's clear that Cruz either doesn't want to be President, or doesn't understand how to be President. Cruz is theoretically pretty smart, so I can only guess it's the former. For the latter to be true, he'd have to be sheltered by yes-men to the extent that he would have difficulty knowing what day it was.

Other than Bush (isn't he trying to distance himself from his previous more moderate stance on gay rights?), what current bunch of national hopefuls have tried to stay away from the gay rights debate? The party itself seems so lost regarding the issue that I would almost believe the latter to be true.

It just blows my mind considering the opinion polling. It's a losing issue and yet their digging their heels in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Just move to a popular vote and be done with it. Sick of all the blatant crybaby methods the GOP tries to garner more votes.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Okie-dokie.

But congress themselves already established the federal courts (excluding the supreme court). Cruz can't say that iowa has the liberty to do something that defies a federal court ruling because congress has already established and empowered the federal courts to overrule state law and constitutional provisions via federal supremacy!

Why do republicans not understand the basic frameworks of this country?

But congress themselves already established the federal courts (excluding the supreme court). Cruz can't say that iowa has the liberty to do something that defies a federal court ruling because congress has already established and empowered the federal courts to overrule state law and constitutional provisions via federal supremacy!

Why do republicans not understand the basic frameworks of this country?

I think a lot of them understand, they just don't care.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The earlier one was something like 50% to the popular vote winner and the other 50% split between districts, so Romney would have only gotten 2 or 3 EVs. This one's a lot crazier, but I suppose if you're going to create a backlash anyway, you might as well go all out.

There's still a 0% chance Snyder will go along with it any time soon.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
He wants to get that Sarah Palin money.

NeoXChaos

And for the election in November 2016, factors as such the unemployment rate, President Obama's approval rating and ideology (most Americans lean either towards the GOP or the Democrats and vote accordingly in a presidential race) will affect Clinton much more than the email dispute.

One smart journalist from nbcnews wrote this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
One smart journalist from nbcnews wrote this.

538 also made an interesting argument that it wont affect the primaries either because polls show 54% of democrats see the media as being too hard on Hillary compared to 9% saying too easy.

Most democrats will likely brush scandals like these off as the media just trying to stir something up.

So RCP now has Walker leading the GOP field in Iowa (+8) and in New Hampshire (+0.8). We need more polls, but woo wee.

Remember when Herman Cain was the flavor of the month? And I believe it was Gingrich after. Maybe the two are flip-flopped. I don't remember that closely.

Ultimately the GOP put a more moderate Romney forward. I think that was probably smart even though they lost.

Part of me feels like we're in for a repeat and we'll end up with a more moderate Jeb in the end.

Who knows though. The GOP was supposed to court minorities after the most recent go-around with Obama and have failed to do so miserably. I think Walker would be a hilarious candidate for the GOP's hope at the national stage.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm almost kind of hoping Walker will win the nomination see he can at least lose one election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom