• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
The takes are HOT HOT HOT!

Pathetic. As if we needed more confirmation that the true problem is that Obama dares to refuse to tell the fairy tale they want him to tell: racism is over, everything has been fixed, and any racial differences we have are the fault of (black) agitators. Obama even meets them sorta halfway by constantly noting how far the country has come. But the fact that he acknowledges institutional racism and blatant racism clearly disgusts them.

Keep makin' em mad, Barry.

User 406

Banned
Manky this post is down the page so don't go on a safari to find it

giphy.gif

This was uncalled for. Unless you have some kind of proof of some ulterior motive behind my statements, you can kindly fuck off with the unsubstantiated allegations.

These 'hidden agenda' arguments are some of the weakest arguments a person can make without proof. I've had enough of this. Seriously.

You know what, this bullshit is so tired. Congratulations, I've lost all interest in posting in this thread.

Is it strange that I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson would react in this exact same way? He has a pompous air about him that I can't put a finger on, but that's one of the reasons why wegotbadassoverhere.gif meme is so amazing...it just captures NDT so well

FiggyCal

Banned
Is it strange that I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson would react in this exact same way? He has a pompous air about him that I can't put a finger on, but that's one of the reasons why wegotbadassoverhere.gif meme is so amazing...it just captures NDT so well

He's alright. I feel like people tend to associate him with the New Atheists people like Harris and Dawkins. But he, himself, comes off like a decent guy.

As an aside: Here is an example of Sam Harris being a piece of shit: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/whither-eagleman

He did the same thing to Chomsky. Just poke at other intellectuals and put it out in the open without their permission so your fans know how smart you are.

Sorry, NDT will be forever in my shitlist for removing Pluto's distinction as a planet at the planetarium he worked at. Never forget!
He's alright. I feel like people tend to associate him with the New Atheists people like Harris and Dawkins. But he, himself, comes off like a decent guy.

As an aside: Here is an example of Sam Harris being a piece of shit: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/whither-eagleman

He did the same thing to Chomsky. Just poke at other intellectuals and put it out in the open without their permission so your fans know how smart you are.

Sam Harris is just a foul turd.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, NDT will be forever in my shitlist for removing Pluto's distinction as a planet at the planetarium he worked at. Never forget!

Well maybe if Pluto got off its ass and cleared out the other objects in its orbital neighborhood, NDT wouldn't have had to remove Pluto's designation as a planet.

The acronym "goat" is another entry on the long list i call thats that shit i don't like, but in terms of science people I am fond of, Michio Kaku is the G.o.a.t
JtZ2n9q.jpg

I remember Jim Norton speaking about how they lived in the same building for years and invited him to the show and he still didn't know Jim's name. And he's super awkward to boot.
That muddafuckah
Tee hee i listened to that video also, Jimmy's just the best isn't he

FiggyCal

Banned
The acronym "goat" is another entry on the long list i call thats that shit i don't like, but in terms of science people I am fond of, Michio Kaku is the G.o.a.t
JtZ2n9q.jpg

I remember Jim Norton speaking about how they lived in the same building for years and invited him to the show and he still didn't know Jim's name. And he's super awkward to boot.

He's not, he told me it was a waste of time to post here when people would manufacture motives for his arguments that weren't his,
and that I was cool. rip pigeon and brawndo

Furthermore, it has come to my attention that he has just been banned

I swear I read this exact article in 2011.

What's even left to say? Anyone who argues against raising the debt limit is too ignorant to have a relevant opinion on the subject. Anyone who demands concessions for raising it is a scumbag. There's no valid argument on the other side, not one. But people still make the arguments, because there are a lot of ignorant and/or scummy people out there.

Chichikov

JtZ2n9q.jpg
He's a string theorist who shits on the standard model, so yeah, no.
And you know what, it's one thing to do it in an academic space, I still think it's not a terrible idea to show respect to the most successful model of the atom we have, one that has provided countless verifiable predictions, especially when you're pushing a theory that had yet to produce a single useful verifiable prediction, but whatever, physicists can handle that.
But pushing that stuff to people not versed in modern physics, especially when you do it under a generally unearned claim to authority on the subject is pretty bullshit.

He also say really stupid shit from time to time.

And you know what, it's one thing to do it in an academic space, I still think it's not a terrible idea to show respect to the most successful model of the atom we have, one that has provided countless verifiable predictions, especially when you're pushing a theory that had yet to produce a single useful verifiable prediction, but whatever, physicists can handle that.
But pushing that stuff to people not versed in modern physics, especially when you do it under a generally unearned claim to authority on the subject is pretty bullshit.

I didn't know any of that. Mine is simply the layman's perspective of watching a couple big think videos of his on youtube and thinking, i like this guy.
That edit reason tho?
TwxoF3n.jpg

I see mr kaku as the chichikov of physicists. He can have a wrong opinion but you can still like him

gaugebozo

Parts of his Hyperspace book that I've read are less then correct. His quantum field theory book seemed pretty solid though. I guess that paints not such a good picture of him as a popularizer of science.

I just now noticed that you can click and drag around the video to change the view. Holy shit, they are good.

If you watch it on your phone it tilts as you turn. Google Cardboard support truly is glorious.

For the minute it takes one to adjust to that, say "cool" and then be annoyed that they have to hold very still to get a good view.

User 406

Banned
I feel it was missing a continuous rambling monologue from Trump. They could have whipped up a quick script that would cut up the audio of his speeches into words and use a text-to-speech/disassociated press combo to generate random output to fill the time between stops.

Oh god I really want to do this now.

HylianTom

Banned
A small peek inside Trump's organization - his operation is looking more and more like a traditional campaign, with a few tweaks.

'The goal is to be the winner': Donald Trump's campaign is for real

A pretty good glimpse into the campaign infrastructure, his attempts to collect voter info, etc..

The final quote of the article comes from his campaign manager:
“If you look at the two past Republican presidential campaigns, they lost, so whichever model they used failed,” said Lewandowski. “We’re not going to rely on something that was unsuccessful.”

That's going to be an appealing point to GOP base voters, who claim that 2012 was a rather winnable year for them. They're still incredibly sore about Obama winning that second term.

dramatis

So the Canadian election is the 19th and the Haitian election is the 25th.

Feels like it's taking forever for anything to happen in the US lol

I thought from the get go Trump was actually prepping ground game? It's just that everybody thought he was a farce. At his rallies his campaign staff were hunting volunteers and stuff.

The final quote of the article comes from his campaign manager:

That's going to be an appealing point to GOP base voters, who claim that 2012 was a rather winnable year for them. They're still incredibly sore about Obama winning that second term.

That's a damn good point, tbh. Would disagree with the specific solution they're adopting, but yeah, extreme right on primaries => less extreme during general is shafting them.

HylianTom

Banned
So the Canadian election is the 19th and the Haitian election is the 25th.

Feels like it's taking forever for anything to happen in the US lol

I thought from the get go Trump was actually prepping ground game? It's just that everybody thought he was a farce. At his rallies his campaign staff were hunting volunteers and stuff.

You're right about things taking forever here; that might be why we're so cranky/cagey here in PoliGAF right now, hehe.. We need another uber-gaffe, or a debate to riff on.

As far as Trump's ground game (or organization in general)? I thought it was a farce at first, too. I thought he'd try to run a cheapy Twitter/free media-based campaign where he takes potshots online and in debates, calls-in to the news stations (knowing they'll let him on for free coverage), etc. I've wondered aloud about if his voters are the type to claim support in polls and then not show-up, but this points in the opposite direction..

So the Canadian election is the 19th [snip]

that election campaign's only two and a half months long (which, iirc, is the longest in Canadian history) and it's already mentally exhausted me

so I'm probably tuning this one out entirely (until July or August, probably) outside of the Ohio primary

NeoXChaos

On New Jersey governor Chris Christie, participants in both states were as up-front and brash as the man they were describing, describing him as “lost,” “corrupt,” “obnoxious” and “too Jersey."
“He’s there,” Aaron said. “There’s my two words for Chris Christie

hahahahhahahaha

Ben Carson, raised by a single mother, shits on single mothers (and LGBTQ+ parents too probably, but yeah, that was expected):

When he was eight years old, Ben Carson's parents divorced, and he and his 10-year old brother were raised by his mother. On the campaign trail and in his books, the retired neurosurgeon and GOP presidential candidate often celebrates his mother's determination and tenacity and credits her for instilling in him the values that helped him achieve his success.

But on Wednesday, Carson took a heavy swing at households headed by single-parents and a veiled swing at households headed by same-sex parents.

Speaking with SiriusXM Patriot radio host and Fox News contributor David Webb, Carson was asked how to fix the "epidemic" of "single-parent birth rates."

Carson responded, "the first thing we have to do is be able to talk about it."

“We have got to stop paying attention to the PC Police who say every lifestyle is exactly of the same value. No, it’s not of the same value,” Carson continued. “It is very clear that intact, traditional families with traditional, intact values do much better in terms of raising children. So let’s stop pretending that everything is of equal value.”

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Carson, raised by a single mother, shits on single mothers (and LGBTQ+ parents too probably, but yeah, that was expected):

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with him. Statistics do show that children in single-parent households (especially those with no father) tend to have much poorer academic performance and, as a result, earn less pay when they get older.

pigeon

Banned
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with him. Statistics do show that children in single-parent households (especially those with no father) tend to have much poorer academic performance and, as a result, earn less pay when they get older.

Correlation v. causation?

But is that due to the lack of a father figure or due to reduced income? Also how do children raised by same-sex households compare?

When he talks about intact families, he aint dissing just single mothers, after all.

Studies have shown conclusively that kids do better in school if parents are involved; be it homework, ec activities or after school programs. Single parents are automatically handicapped when it comes to this. If they have a single parent that busts ass by going to work in morning and spends time with kids in evening, then it will work out. A family unit needs a parent figure invested in their's education. You can have a typical hetero family with mom and dad but kids doing horrible in school because the parents dont even know what grade their kids are in.

Of course there will be exceptions to the rule but satistically speaking you have a higher probability of succeeding in school of your parent is also involved.

Correlation v. causation?
There's some pretty interesting research on this, but my understanding is that the research leans toward the latter. At the very least, it's a matter of manpower: raising a family is a lot of work, and having two 'sets of hands' in the house provides measurable advantages for the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom