• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to point out the GOP is the only conservative party in the First World that denies climate change. Even the Australian conservatives admit climate change is happening, they just think a carbon tax makes Australia noncompetitive and that's their official reasoning for scrapping it.

IIRC the GOP doesn't deny the earth is warming, they've latched onto the "people aren't responsible, this is a natural cycle" excuse.

danm999

I'd like to point out the GOP is the only conservative party in the First World that denies climate change. Even the Australian conservatives admit climate change is happening, they just think a carbon tax makes Australia noncompetitive and that's their official reasoning for scrapping it.

Real talk; most of them (including Abbott) pretend to believe it because they know otherwise would be political suicide in Australia. Their actions completely belie any sort of actual belief in climate change. Abbott has saying as late as a few years ago climate change was "complete crap".

The current PM Turnbull, actually does believe in it, but at the moment is too constrained by the conservative faction of his party to bring back an emissions trading scheme.

Then again, at least they have to pretend. I shudder at the parts of the world where candidates can run on "only God can change the climate" and win.

Would be amazing if this broke into something bigger.

Iirc a big reason for the midterm losses in 2006 was because of numerous personal scandals for Republicans.

You make me hopeful that the Dems in NC could pick up at least five seats in 2016 (1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 12th). But I get the feeling that Republicans will have no problem kicking out Ellmers in the primary, if this affair is real and leaks to the public. But such a scramble could still be good news for the Democrats.

Flashback to the hottest, most despicable take you'll see:

Pooh-poohing (June 4): "In the wake of Abu Ghraib, critics have been pushing the Bush administration, with some success, to limit itself in the war on terror to interrogation techniques that would be lawful here in the United States. But the foundation for American values is America, and those values won't endure unless the nation withstands assaults by enemies who care nothing for Miranda rights or any other legal niceties. They have to be met in a dirty, shadowy war."

All of the National Review should be dick-punched really.

User 406

Banned
Never mind, made it my damn self.

Cifr1jC.gif

So...imagine you're the guy who gave the order that accidentally hit Iran. Putin, with his politburo leaders walks in the room and asks who gave the order....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Carson is in the running for the worst person on earth:

In Carson's new book “A Perfect Union,” Carson writes that “through a combination of removing guns and disseminating propaganda, the Nazis were able to carry out their evil intentions with relatively little resistance.”

On CNN, Carson was asked: "But just to clarify, if there had been no gun control laws in Europe at that time, would 6 million Jews have been slaughtered?"

In response, the candidate suggested that Hitler may not have been as effective in carrying out his plot if the victims were armed.

“I think the likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals would have been greatly diminished if the people had been armed,” Carson said. “I’m telling you there is a reason these dictatorial people take guns first."

I don't understand why Carson's boat isn't sinking. Michelle Bachmann was finished by now for saying batty shit. Carson has upped her in battyness in every measure imaginable, but the guy still walking around like he's a player.

I would assume it's because the angry GOP voter gets angrier every cycle as the world continues to move around them, while they stay firmly entrenched in a position.

Tarkus

Carson will be in my town next Sunday. On his book tour at the freakiest cult megachurch you can imagine. He'll be at both morning services peddling his shitty book. I would go, but the earth would tremble if I stepped foot in a church.

danm999

Carson has been running away with the headlines the past two weeks or so it feels like, whilst we've heard comparatively little of Trump.

Wonder what the next round of polling looks like.

Something tells me that Germans would have had no problem standing back and letting Jews get rounded up regardless of gun ownership. Just as white Americans had no problem standing back and letting Japanese Americans get rounded up despite having full second amendment rights.

Historically, internment tends to target oppressed groups. So if it were to happen (again) in the US I'm going to assume it won't be aimed at redneck cacs. And they won't do shit as Hispanics or whoever else gets rounded up.

This Holocaust gun control fantasy is nothing more than a naked attempt to wash away the complicity of regular people that helped make the Holocaust possible.

Kusagari

Carson will be in my town next Sunday. On his book tour at the freakiest cult megachurch you can imagine. He'll be at both morning services peddling his shitty book. I would go, but the earth would tremble if I stepped foot in a church.

Stepping into that environment is something else entirely but I'd still think about doing it.

Seeing Herman Cain back in 2011 remains an experience I'll never forget.

Tarkus

Stepping into that environment is something else entirely but I'd still think about doing it.

Seeing Herman Cain back in 2011 remains an experience I'll never forget.
Then again, Trump will be in Atlanta on Saturday. But that's at noon and it would be a long drive because I'd probably be hungover. It is Oktoberfest after all. Hmm choices.

I don't understand why Carson's boat isn't sinking. Michelle Bachmann was finished by now for saying batty shit. Carson has upped her in battyness in every measure imaginable, but the guy still walking around like he's a player.

Bachman was a politician who spent years accomplishing nothing as Obama passed everything she opposed. Carson, Trump, Fiorina are not politicians and thus don't have the stink of defeat on them.

The other factor is racial. There is a strain within conservative politics that uses black conservatives to attack democrats while also belittling the black community without fear of being called racist. Carson and many others willingly do that dirty working, comparing everything to slavery (except actual slavery), denying racism, etc. This role gives him a lot of leeway to make mistakes that other candidates wouldn't be forgiven for. Hermain Cain was doing pretty well until affair rumors spread, plus he showed he was a dumbass. Carson is a doctor - he doesn't have to worry about conservatives questioning his smarts.

pigeon

Banned
Frankly, as much as I don't want it to be him it has to be him. Ryan's the only one who both the moderates and tea party will be able to agree on. If he doesn't do it then they either have to pick the tea party choice, may god have mercy on our souls, or go to the Dems and make a deal, which would kill them at the polls in a year.

I know the moment has passed, but I actually think everybody's wrong about this. Ryan's not a problem for the Freedom Caucus -- he's the author of the Ryan budget*. Ryan's actually a problem for the moderate Republicans. The GOP desperately needs a Speaker who's willing to pass a clean debt ceiling increase and CR, or who can be pressured into doing so. Obviously none of the Republicans will admit it, but I really doubt anybody who openly refuses to pass a clean bill (as Ryan has done before) is going to be a real candidate.

* I know this seems like a weird coincidence, but it's true.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So from the sounds of it Biden's staff had the sort of meeting with the DNC that you only have if you're seriously considering jumping in.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-new-clue-suggests-biden-may-run?mbid=social_facebook

Joe Biden has taken another step toward entering the Presidential race.

Representatives of the Vice-President held a meeting this week with Democratic National Committee staffers. They briefed Biden’s aides on arcane but crucial rules that the Vice-President would need to understand if he decides to run, according to a D.N.C. official.

It was the most significant sign the source had seen to indicate Biden’s intentions. “I think it means he’s running,” the source said.

The D.N.C. has held similar meetings for representatives from the five declared Democratic candidates: Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Jim Webb, Martin O’Malley, and Lincoln Chafee. The D.N.C. offered the meeting to Biden earlier this year, and the party committee was scheduled to brief his aides back in June, but that meeting was cancelled.

When the meeting was finally held this week, D.N.C. staffers walked Biden’s representatives through the primary calendar, filing deadlines, the mechanics of ballot-access issues, and the complicated details of the party’s state-by-state selection process for delegates and super delegates. The session included a level of detail that would only be of interest to a candidate who is serious about running. For example, the briefing included information about issues such as whether a particular primary state requires a candidate to send a letter to the Secretary of State in order to get on the ballot, or circulate a petition, or pursue some other method.

Maybe he sees everything and figures his time to jump in has passed, but then who knows?

What a day.

It looks like the Benghazi committee finally brought down a high profile politician.
It's also made a horse race of a democratic primary which at one time was almost a formality, tarred the frontrunner with a pungent whiff of untrustworthy elitism, and softened her in the polls to a worrying degree, if I were a fan, to many would be general election opponents

I think my dream scenario at this point is Boehner stays on past Oct and at some point the Freedom Caucus goes through with their original plan to depose him, just to watch the world burn.

It's also made a horse race of a democratic primary which at one time was almost a formality, tarred the frontrunner with a pungent whiff of untrustworthy elitism, and softened her in the polls to a worrying degree, if I were a fan, to many would be general election opponents

It's not a horse race. Hillary is still the overwhelming favorite against the declared primary opponents.

It's made a Biden run more likely though.

The only reason the e-mail story gained ground was because a bunch of opportunistic democrats who were anti-hillary decided to legitimize and regurgitate the GOP spin machine.

I'm sure the Chaff and O'malley will concern troll it during the debate nonstop.

I know the moment has passed, but I actually think everybody's wrong about this. Ryan's not a problem for the Freedom Caucus -- he's the author of the Ryan budget*. Ryan's actually a problem for the moderate Republicans. The GOP desperately needs a Speaker who's willing to pass a clean debt ceiling increase and CR, or who can be pressured into doing so. Obviously none of the Republicans will admit it, but I really doubt anybody who openly refuses to pass a clean bill (as Ryan has done before) is going to be a real candidate.

* I know this seems like a weird coincidence, but it's true.

This is why I said I fear a Ryan speakership. I don't know how people in here all of a sudden bought the ruse that Ryan is a moderate. He's not even a Boehner moderate. He's very fucking far right and I think he's closer to a "true believer" and willing to go all the way with it.

BTW, what happens if they vote Ryan speaker against his will? Is he compelled to be speaker? Is his only option to resign from the House? And technically, he's still Speaker.

Kind of an interesting scenario.

Rubio: $6 million last quarter

more than 2/3 less than Carson.

What a day.

It looks like the Benghazi committee finally brought down a high profile politician.

underrated post.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is why I said I fear a Ryan speakership. I don't know how people in here all of a sudden bought the ruse that Ryan is a moderate. He's not even a Boehner moderate. He's very fucking far right and I think he's closer to a "true believer" and willing to go all the way with it.

BTW, what happens if they vote Ryan speaker against his will? Is he compelled to be speaker? Is his only option to resign from the House? And technically, he's still Speaker.

Kind of an interesting scenario.

I share your concerns about Ryan. He voted against the 2013 bill that reopened the government, something even Webster and Scalise voted for.

I never understood why he keeps saying how dumb the shutdown was when he voted to continue the shutdown.

Kusagari

I share your concerns about Ryan. He voted against the 2013 bill that reopened the government, something even Webster and Scalise voted for.

I never understood why he keeps saying how dumb the shutdown was when he voted to continue the shutdown.

Probably because he had enough faith the votes were there without him.

Which is exactly why Ryan would never choose to be speaker. He couldn't be a chicken shit.

The only reason the e-mail story gained ground was because a bunch of opportunistic democrats who were anti-hillary decided to legitimize and regurgitate the GOP spin machine.

I'm sure the Chaff and O'malley will concern troll it during the debate nonstop.

We need a real Raymond Reddington for situations like that.

Seriously, horse heads. Beds. Now.

Ben Gittleson said:
Ben Carson calls Anti-Defamation League's statement that his comments about the Holocaust were historically inaccurate "total foolishness"

Getting into a pissing match with the Anti-Defamation League is an interesting way to run a campaign. Thats one group Trump hasn't even gone after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom