• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man. Jeb is probably crying into his tub of ice cream as he is watching that. He wish he had that enthusiasm at his rallies. Or even Marco for that matter.

Or anyone. If you're targetting the lower strata and developed a populist persona, that was a damn good move. Just Another Event suddenly became newsworthy. Best thing is how spontaneous it seemed.

Trump really is a natural.

Diablos

Carson raised 20 mil. He's no joke.

No matter what happens, Dems are in twouble. All the hype is on the Republican side, from the House GOP to the Presidential race.

If I see one more article about what Biden maybe said or did about running or not running I'm going to scream.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

No matter what happens, Dems are in twouble. All the hype is on the Republican side, from the House GOP to the Presidential race.

If I see one more article about what Biden maybe said it did about running or not running I'm going to scream.

He's just Biden his time

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

If I see one more article about what Biden maybe said or did about running or not running I'm going to scream.

Hillary raised almost 50% more than sleepy Ben despite having a shit summer and also apparently no one liking her.

I'm not sure I see you.

HylianTom

Banned
He's thumbing his nose at a window of opportunity. Shit or get off the pot. The hype is not going to last forever and Dems need it.
The calendar is going to force him off of the pot soon.
tumblr_lye0di43fl1qiaoeyo1_500.gif

Diablos

There's only Hillary and The Bern as serious contenders at the moment. There's more money to go around for the two of them compared to the GOP vs. outsider fued.

It's a good thing hype in the October a year before the election doesn't matter.

Diablos

I got too hopeful when Charlie Dent said there may have to be a coalition with Dems. I really thought it was about to go down. Now it's just going to be Ryan. I don't know if he will be as sensible as Boehner in dealing with the freedom caucus et al.

Tarkus

Trump has taken a backseat in the media lately. I have a feeling something big is going to happen or be announced. Nobody holds The Donald down for this long.

dramatis

A while back, I linked an article about the volunteer technical support Bernie's campaign received. Donation apps, websites, maps, calling lists, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum is Eric Schmidt.
An under-the-radar startup funded by billionaire Eric Schmidt has become a major technology vendor for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, underscoring the bonds between Silicon Valley and Democratic politics.

The Groundwork, according to Democratic campaign operatives and technologists, is part of efforts by Schmidt—the executive chairman of Google parent-company Alphabet—to ensure that Clinton has the engineering talent needed to win the election. And it is one of a series of quiet investments by Schmidt that recognize how modern political campaigns are run, with data analytics and digital outreach as vital ingredients that allow candidates to find, court, and turn out critical voter blocs.

But campaigns—lacking stock options and long-term job security—find it hard to attract the elite engineering talent that Facebook, Google, and countless startups rely on. That’s also part of the problem that Schmidt and the Groundwork are helping Clinton’s team to solve.
Although Obama’s technology staff downplays credit for his election victories, there’s no doubt they played a crucial role. One former Obama staffer, Elan Kriegel, who now leads analytics for the Clinton campaign, suggested the technology accounted for perhaps two percentage points of the campaign’s four percent margin of victory in 2012.

The 2012 campaign’s analytics team constructed a complex model of the electorate to identify 15 million undecided voters that could be swayed to Obama’s side. They drew on databases which compiled a comprehensive record of voters’ interactions with the campaign—Facebook pages liked, volunteer contacts, events attended, money donated—and assigned them a score based on how strongly they supported Obama.
Perhaps the standout innovation from the Obama campaign was known as “Optimizer,” a tool that allowed the campaign to deploy carefully targeted television ads. Rather than rely on broad demographic data about programs and time slots, the Obama tech team accessed detailed information from TV set-top boxes to identify the most cost-efficient ways to reach hard-to-reach voters. The campaign’s top media consultant, Jim Margolis—now Clinton’s top media consultant—estimates Optimizer saved the campaign perhaps $40 million.
Big data is a big thing nowadays. I think the best part is that The Groundwork definitely seems like a longer-term thing than single elections.

But after the spectacular Orca, what are Republicans doing nowadays? lol

Makai

Trump has taken a backseat in the media lately. I have a feeling something big is going to happen or be announced. Nobody holds The Donald down for this long.
Boehner named him interim speaker as a joke, but it is now law and nothing can be done.

I don't believe this for a second. I'm sorry, but nope.

Ryan is the face of cutting Medicare and social security. If he's going to be Speaker, yikes.

This is exactly why he doesn't want the job. He can't champion this loony shit and actually govern. In the past he's been able to vote no on CR's and debt ceiling raises and retain his conservative cred. If he becomes Speaker, that's all shot to shit. He'd have to cut deals.

pigeon

Banned
So Vox (and Mischiefs of Faction) pointed out something very interesting this morning in Boehner's resignation letter:

"As I have said previously, I will serve as Speaker until the House votes to elect a new Speaker," Boehner said in a written statement early Thursday afternoon. " We will announce the date for this election at a later date, and I'm confident we will elect a new Speaker in the coming weeks."

http://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2015/10/9/9484575/mccarthy-gone-bombshell

In other words, Boehner's resignation is contingent on the ability of the House of Representatives to elect a new Speaker of the House.

It is at least possible that this is the ultimate Boehner play. Boehner's strategy when dealing with the hard right has always been to give the kid some whiskey* -- if somebody irrationally wants something that will be bad for them, you can give them a little, point out how bad it was, and do the smart thing while they're trying to grapple with this. This is how he handled the fiscal cliff, the government shutdown, multiple debt ceilings, etc. The Tea Party wants to fight? Give them the fight, let everybody suffer, and then make peace.

This time the Tea Party wants John Boehner out. So what does he do? He says, "Sure, I'll quit -- as soon as you guys can choose a new Speaker to replace me." And what do you know, it turns out that the GOP can't choose a new Speaker. What are the consequences? Boehner stays in as Speaker, and the Tea Party can't force him to quit because he already did. He's free to pass clean bills without any threats hanging over him.

* This metaphor chosen in honor of John Boehner.

So Vox (and Mischiefs of Faction) pointed out something very interesting this morning in Boehner's resignation letter:

http://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2015/10/9/9484575/mccarthy-gone-bombshell

In other words, Boehner's resignation is contingent on the ability of the House of Representatives to elect a new Speaker of the House.

It is at least possible that this is the ultimate Boehner play. Boehner's strategy when dealing with the hard right has always been to give the kid some whiskey* -- if somebody irrationally wants something that will be bad for them, you can give them a little, point out how bad it was, and do the smart thing while they're trying to grapple with this. This is how he handled the fiscal cliff, the government shutdown, multiple debt ceilings, etc. The Tea Party wants to fight? Give them the fight, let everybody suffer, and then make peace.

This time the Tea Party wants John Boehner out. So what does he do? He says, "Sure, I'll quit -- as soon as you guys can choose a new Speaker to replace me." And what do you know, it turns out that the GOP can't choose a new Speaker. What are the consequences? Boehner stays in as Speaker, and the Tea Party can't force him to quit because he already did. He's free to pass clean bills without any threats hanging over him.

* This metaphor chosen in honor of John Boehner.

I like this theory even if I don't necessarily buy it.

I think his resignation announcement was genuine, but this shitstorm might have provided him with a chance for a fun last-minute power play and/or middle finger to the hard right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom