• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cross posting from the other thread.

Costa:

Man, they're hanging the party's future square around Ryan's neck.

Frankly, as much as I don't want it to be him it has to be him. Ryan's the only one who both the moderates and tea party will be able to agree on. If he doesn't do it then they either have to pick the tea party choice, may god have mercy on our souls, or go to the Dems and make a deal, which would kill them at the polls in a year.

You see young grasshopper...if Hillary Clinton were against the TPP or Keystone or anything else she wouldn't have waited months and months and months to come out against it. She's lying. She does support TPP and she does support Keystone.

Hillary Clinton is spineless, unelectable, Wal-Mart trash.

What's wrong with Wal-Mart ?

HylianTom

Banned
Frankly, as much as I don't want it to be him it has to be him. Ryan's the only one who both the moderates and tea party will be able to agree on. If he doesn't do it then they either have to pick the tea party choice, may god have mercy on our souls, or go to the Dems and make a deal, which would kill them at the polls in a year.

The moment he appears to compromise or moderate is the moment that the Freedom Caucus-types turns on him. It'd be really fun to watch.

Agreed. Is the offer to Ryan close-ended do you think? Like, he's off the hook Jan 21, 2017?

edit: ^^^^ also, yes. I can't wait to watch the nuts turn on him the moment he has to...you know, govern. I wouldn't be surprised at that being the reason he doesn't want the job. Can't talk out of both sides of his mouth anymore, and has to actually lead/do unpopular things to keep the govt open.

Agreed. Is the offer to Ryan close-ended do you think? Like, he's off the hook Jan 21, 2017?

edit: ^^^^ also, yes. I can't wait to watch the nuts turn on him the moment he has to...you know, govern. I wouldn't be surprised at that being the reason he doesn't want the job. Can't talk out of both sides of his mouth anymore, and has to actually lead/do unpopular things to keep the govt open.
Thirded. Who else is there?

I thought this post was satire until I looked at the poster's name.

Go write Salon, as linked above, and tell them that they're wrong about Hillary. Hillary supporters, if they were smart, should toss their support to Biden for a status-quo candidate. Far less baggage.

Cheebo

Banned
Go write Salon, as linked above, and tell them that they're wrong about Hillary. Hillary supporters, if they were smart, should toss their support to Biden for a status-quo candidate. Far less baggage.
Come back then when Biden is actually in the race. Until then Hillary is and remains the nominee.

Cheebo

Banned
Hey ErasureAcer, how is your boy Dennis Kucinich doing these days? The guy you proclaimed very adamantly was going to be the nominee in 2004.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The moment he appears to compromise or moderate is the moment that the Freedom Caucus-types turns on him. It'd be really fun to watch.

It's going to be fucking hilarious.

Even if the offer does have an end date on it, Ryan has to know that they won't be able to honor it. If he takes the roll, he's going to be Speaker until he leaves the House or the Tea Party is marginalized to the point where they can't make moves like this anymore--after the next census, hopefully.

If he says yes, there's no getting out of it--unless he actively looks for a replacement, gets them elected and trains them up--the job is his for the foreseeable future.

Cheebo

Banned
It's his birthday today and he's still married to a young redhead. I'm sure he's great.
I forgot about her from the debates!

s-KOOCHANDTHEMISSUS-large.jpg

It's going to be fucking hilarious.

Even if the offer does have an end date on it, Ryan has to know that they won't be able to honor it. If he takes the roll, he's going to be Speaker until he leaves the House or the Tea Party is marginalized to the point where they can't make moves like this anymore--after the next census, hopefully.

If he says yes, there's no getting out of it--unless he actively looks for a replacement, gets them elected and trains them up--the job is his for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, you're probably right. He can't be happy about this. Say what you will about the guy, I think he has a basic idea of how the gov't should function, and can't see him aligning with the total lunatics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, you're probably right. He can't be happy about this. Say what you will about the guy, I think he has a basic idea of how the gov't should function, and can't see him aligning with the total lunatics.

It's why Ryan keeps saying no. The job's always been his if he wanted it, but while he is an idiot he isn't a moron. I think we're going to see him take it, he has to at this point. He has to know that his choices are falling on his sword or completely screwing over his entire party for a generation at least.

If they are worried about the debt crisis, give it to a Democrat until after the crisis is over, and then vote them out.

Yes, I know this won't happen, but it could.

User 406

Banned
Oh wow.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/ben...i-told-the-gunman-to-rob-an-employee-instead/

Ben Carson has been bragging all week that he would charge head-on at gunmen, if he ever encountered one — and now he says he actually has been faced with that threat.

The Republican presidential candidate said Thursday morning that he had a gun drawn on him while visiting a Baltimore fried chicken restaurant, reported The Hill.

“I have had a gun held on me when I was in a Popeye’s organization,” Carson said on Karen Hunter’s Sirius XM Radio program.

“Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs,” Carson said.

Carson said twice this week that the victims in last week’s Oregon community college shooting should have tried to tackle the gunman and would not “just stand there and let him shoot me.”

That’s exactly how Army veteran Chris Mintz got shot seven times and wounded during the massacre — although Carson admits he had never heard of him until a reporter asked.

So what happened when Carson allegedly faced just such a threat? He directed the gunman’s attention to an employee of the fast food restaurant.

“I just said, ‘I believe that you want the guy behind the counter,’” Carson said.

The retired brain surgeon did not explain what happened next.

Jeb Bush opposes reauthorizing Voting Rights Act

Jeb Bush said Thursday he does not support reauthorizing the Voting Rights Act, adding that there's been "dramatic improvement" in access to voting in the past half century.

"If it's to reauthorize it to continue to provide regulation on top of states as though we're living in in 1960 -- because those were basically when many of those rules were put in place -- I don't think we should do that," the Republican presidential candidate said at the Caucus Candidate Forum in Des Moines, Iowa.

Ben Carson, on the other hand, supports reauthorizing the VRA.

Having actual responsibilities would force Paul to drop his fantasy budget proposals and thus sully his image. I don't see him taking the job unless he absolutely has to.

ivysaur12

Banned
You see young grasshopper...if Hillary Clinton were against the TPP or Keystone or anything else she wouldn't have waited months and months and months to come out against it. She's lying. She does support TPP and she does support Keystone.

Hillary Clinton is spineless, unelectable, Wal-Mart trash.

There's nothing wrong with one taking their time on issues, even on the campaign trail. Yes, this is something that can be made fun of on an SNL sketch, but thinking about things is not inherently a bad idea. Even in her time as Secretary of State, she's still at the behest of the Obama administration and his foreign policy when it comes to trade.

There's no way that she would support the Keystone pipeline if she was elected, even if she was the #1 supporter of the pipeline, because people generally try to keep their campaign promises. And she's already, knowingly, taken an anti-free trade POV that would be hard to do a 180 on completely if she's elected.

Salon going to Salon. It's what they do best.

Looks like Ryan is clearing his schedule.

Guess it's all over but the crying.

Yep, looks like he decided to fall on his sword. They've probably got a cushy board job all lined up for him when he's done.

Yeah, let's refrain from reading too much into something like this.

I don't see him taking the post. He's young and it could completely ruin his political career. Why the fuck would he want to do that?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, let's refrain from reading too much into something like this.

I don't see him taking the post. He's young and it could completely ruin his political career. Why the fuck would he want to do that?

He's the only one that can old back the crazies. It's gonna be him or a total loon, Boehner knows the party won't survive a total loon so he'll give Ryan whatever he needs to get this done. Ryan is already dead nationally, the highest he could possibly move is the Senate.

The next speaker is going to be responsible for the showdown over the debt ceiling / govt funding. If their plan isn't to go ham like the extremists want, why would they get support? And if they do plan to accede, they're committing political suicide for themselves and possibly their party (so you would expect a true believer). If they don't have a plan at all, that's even worse. Who the speaker should be is dependent on whether they have a solution to the underlying problem causing so much turmoil. If Ryan had a ready-made solution, why didn't he run for the spot initially?

He's the only one that can old back the crazies. It's gonna be him or a total loon, Boehner knows the party won't survive a total loon so he'll give Ryan whatever he needs to get this done. Ryan is already dead nationally, the highest he could possibly move is the Senate.

Ryan is exactly where he wants to be. He wants to be in a position to push his batshit conservative economic policies - not to be a kindergarten teacher.

I could see Ryan being enlisted by Boehner and McCarthy to help them get consensus support for some other candidate, but I can't see him taking the post himself.

ivysaur12

Banned
Congratulations, Bernie supporters. You've officially driven me to supporting Hillary in the primary.

I live in California so it don't matter

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ryan is exactly where he wants to be. He wants to be in a position to push his batshit conservative economic policies - not to be a kindergarten teacher.

I could see Ryan being enlisted by Boehner and McCarthy to help them get consensus support for some other candidate, but I can't see him taking the post himself.

This could be it, but are there any other names being floated who aren't batshit?

If I end up being wrong, I'll have no issues admitting it.

But I just can't see Ryan potentially ruining his entire political future for such a lousy, thankless job.

And I see very little reason why he'd cave into pressure to take the job.

ivysaur12

Banned
If I end up being wrong, I'll have no issues admitting it.

But I just can't see Ryan potentially ruining his entire political future for such a lousy, thankless job.

And I see very little reason why he'd cave into pressure to take the job.

I sort of agree. He's basically throwing his entire career on a grenade to save the GOP.

I sort of agree. He's basically throwing his entire career on a grenade to save the GOP.

Okay, so he's speaker, then what? If he could actually control the extremists effectively then why was he so adamant about not wanting the post in the first place? Him being speaker doesn't automatically make them not want to fight to the death on the debt ceiling or funding the government. If he's not going to do what they want I don't see how his position would be any better than Boehner's (or why they would vote for him in the first place).

I mean, is there anyone who can take the post and not preside over the death throws of non-governing whacktastica that is the current house GOP? The house needs someone as speaker who cares more about the country than being a career politician.

Ryan thrives on having no responsibilities, writing fantasy budgets that will never be passed. Becoming Speaker would destroy the image he has crafted for himself because he'd have to compromise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I think this is why he'll do it--he's further right than Boehner and the far right will embrace him as a hero.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:

Responding on Wednesday to the controversy over his comments, Carson said he thought the “sacrifice” of those in Oregon might be what triggers what he called an “appropriate response” next time to prevent less death.

“I’m very glad to be able to inspire a conversation about what people should do when they get in these situations, not a criticism of people who’ve been in the situation before,” Carson told radio host Lars Larson.

“In fact, you know, their sacrifice may be the thing that will trigger an appropriate response the next time so that not as many people will be killed.”

I think this is why he'll do it--he's further right than Boehner and the far right will embrace him as a hero.

For like two seconds. Then they'll turn on him like they'd turn on anyone in that position.

Speaker of the House is someone's dream job. And it's a destination job - not a stepping stone to something else.

Who the hell thinks that Speaker of the House is Paul Ryan's dream job - the place he wants to end his political career?

ivysaur12

Banned
The problem for Paul is that he may have found himself too entrenched in the House to ever run for Senate and then ever run for president. I guess he could be VP, but no one would pick the Speaker as their VP.

Maybe he'll run for WI governor in 2018.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For like two seconds. Then they'll turn on him like they'd turn on anyone in that position.

Speaker of the House is someone's dream job. And it's a destination job - not a stepping stone to something else.

Who the hell thinks that Speaker of the House is Paul Ryan's dream job - the place he wants to end his political career?

Clearly he doesn't want the job.

The question is if there's enough pressure to force him to take it even if he doesn't want it. And the pressure is pretty high when the alternative is the destruction of the party.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:

This fucking guy. The natural reaction is to run from a gunman. That's not going to change. This isn't like...a few people pulling out box cutters on a plane and demanding everyone sit down during a "hijacking." That shit will never work on a US airline again. Rushing people with knives/box cutters is one thing. Rushing people with guns? Fuckouttahere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom