• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
EhJ1h3u.png

w3EouOK.png

It's interesting that Carson/Cruz/Fiorina supporters mostly bounce around between each other a lot more than they bounce to Trump in second choice picks, and when asked head to head Trump vs Rubio they back Rubio.

The problem with the shrinking field theory of Rubio winning is that theory would suggest Carson will be the winner. It makes me wonder if Carson is the bigger threat to Rubio as things stand right now.

The problem is if Rubio starts attacking Carson and the rest, that'll make him drop a lot among those voters as their second choice.

HylianTom

Banned
Ryan is getting savaged in right wing media over his immigration and justice reform views. Wow, they're really whipping up a frenzy to torpedo this.
Yup.

I'm starting to see more articles like this:

EXCLUSIVE– NUMBERSUSA PRESIDENT: PAUL RYAN ‘TERRIFYING,’ ‘OPEN BORDERS SEEPS OUT OF EVERY PORE OF HIS BEING’
As donor class Republicans and beltway pundits intensify their “Draft Ryan” campaign, anti-amnesty advocates are pleading with House Republicans to quash the candidacy of the man they call the most open-borders member of Congress.

While these advocates have largely refrained in the past from getting involved in the House leadership scuffle, they now have an urgent warning for House members. They contend that Rep. Paul Ryan is an immigration extremist – and point to historical records placing him at the center of a 1990-era corporate-led sabotage of immigration curbs then sought by both parties.

In an exclusive interview with Breitbart News, the president of the immigration control group NumbersUSA, Roy Beck, described Paul Ryan as “terrifying.”

“There’s nobody in the Republican Party who could be worse than Paul Ryan,” Beck implored. “He has spent his entire adulthood ideologically connected to the open borders crowd. Open Borders is in his ideological DNA. That’s the terrifying thing. He’s an ideologue and his spent his whole life working for ideologues. Open borders seeps out of every pore of his being. This isn’t personal, it’s just who he is.”

Ryan’s ideological fidelity to Eric Cantor and Rep. Kevin McCarthy has been well documented. Also well-documented is his intimate alliance with Congressman Rep. Luis Gutierrez and Rep. Mick Mulvaney to complete Senator Sen. Marco Rubio’s amnesty push – earning him Gutierrez’s effusive endorsement for House Speaker. But less discussed, Roy Beck explains, is that Ryan has been at the center of efforts to open America’s border for the last twenty years – playing a starring role in several high-stakes immigration battles that altered forever the future of the GOP and the nation.

It's been really fun to witness GOPers place their hopes with him, only to have their hostage caucus send signals that he'll be vetoed.

Yup.

I'm starting to see more articles like this:

It's been really fun to witness GOPers place their hopes with him, only to have their hostage caucus send signals that he'll be vetoed.

"Open borders seep out of every pore of his being" is a hell of a quote. Is this the Onion?

There's no way to know anymore. Maybe the real world died in 2012 and we've been stuck in the Onion's world ever since.

Who they always want: Zombie Regan
They really don't. Republicans would destroy Reagan for his stances on a lot of issues. Compromising, raising taxes, granting amnesty to immigrants, and can you imagine any republican doing something today like when he granted reparations to the Japanese who were put in internment camps during world war 2? The current party is incapable of getting behind any sort of leader

Makai

It's interesting that Carson/Cruz/Fiorina supporters mostly bounce around between each other a lot more than they bounce to Trump in second choice picks, and when asked head to head Trump vs Rubio they back Rubio.

The problem with the shrinking field theory of Rubio winning is that theory would suggest Carson will be the winner. It makes me wonder if Carson is the bigger threat to Rubio as things stand right now.

The problem is if Rubio starts attacking Carson and the rest, that'll make him drop a lot among those voters as their second choice.
Wow, that looks really bad for Trump.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If he does it, he's going to get a blood oath from the FC that they don't give him even a whiff of a problem for the remainder of the election year.

A lot of the FC are being controlled by outside influences and have no power to make backroom deals like that.

They really don't. Republicans would destroy Reagan for his stances on a lot of issues. Compromising, raising taxes, granting amnesty to immigrants, and can you imagine any republican doing something today like when he granted reparations to the Japanese who were put in internment camps during world war 2? The current party is incapable of getting behind any sort of leader

Zombie Reagan is way more conservative than actual Reagan.

I hope Ryan refuses or gets blasted enough from the freedom nuts that he can't win and we're forced to keep Boehner for a while as he puts up things like immigration, the debt ceiling and a real budget.

As I brought up earlier this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Just spreading right wing talking points and legitimizing them until the general public believes it too.

Sanders needs to start going after Hillary ASAP. There's a lot of material to work with, particularly her hearing later this month (I believe it's the 21st)

Let's just go ahead and use the partisan Benghazi committee and legitimize their claims. What people fail to realize is this damages the image of Democrats as a whole, not just one person. But whatever, anything for Bernie.

I agree with that VA chairman's assessment but tack to the more optimistic end (naturally). Kasich on the ballot could swing Iowa, Ohio and Florida. Then what? Still a Virginia short and I think Colorado would still favor the Democrat (but it wouldn't determine the election anyway). Plus they nominate someone like Trump and that all goes out the window.

HylianTom

Banned
In the interest of furthering prospects for a GOP civil war, I really hope that word gets out on this..

Chris Wallace: Establishment groups are threatening to primary House conservatives who oppose Paul Ryan

Here's the key block quote:
WALLACE: Karl, I want to end on this exit question, which is that I’m told, that, you know, for all the talk of what the Freedom Caucus is demanding, Ryan knows numbers, and secondly, there’s a lot of pressure being put on by the establishment and business groups, saying that some of those Freedom Caucus members, if you’re not going to play ball and you’re not going to get involved, you’re going to get a primary opponent.

teiresias

Part of me wonders if they (the Chamber of Commerce crowd) knows this, and that they'd prefer an unhinged John Boehner sticking around for as long as possible.

There's unhinged and then there's "unhinged". I mean, if Boehner is forced to stick around through the New Year, for example, do we really expect him to spend that entire time ditching the Hastert Rule on first votes?

Diablos

Come on Boehner. Stick around and defy the Feeedom Caucus and all the fat cats who funnel money to them.

The notion that Ryan is not conservative enough is just factually incorrect. What a bunch of crazies.

There's unhinged and then there's "unhinged". I mean, if Boehner is forced to stick around through the New Year, for example, do we really expect him to spend that entire time ditching the Hastert Rule on first votes?
I want to see a completely insane Boehner.

"Fuck all of y'all, single payer vote is next"

Boehner bringing the senate immigration bill to the floor would be the greatest troll move of all time.
Not the least of which to Democrats who would be pissed he didn't do it while they actually held the Senate. I think of the Yea votes in 2013 there are still 60 in the Senate but that's a pretty fragile coalition especially when guys like Rubio would love the chance to publicly disown it.

If only Hagan, Begich and Udall had held on. And Braley not be terrible. And Kansas not be Kansas. And... You get the idea.

I just love that Republicans are pushing so incredibly hard for a move that's almost guaranteed to ruin Paul Ryan's political career while also being terrible for his family. It's so profoundly selfish of them to ask him to do this.

As someone who hates basically everything Paul Ryan stands for as a politician, I hope he takes the job. But as someone who sympathizes with Ryan as a father and husband, I hope he tells them to go fuck themselves.

KEITH ELLISON HAS A NAME YOU KNOW
Keith Hussein Ellison

No but seriously? As a Minnesotan my dream scenario is that Klobuchar gets picked as VP and Ellison is appointed to her Senate seat. Congratulations Minnesota Republicans, your state sent a liberal Jew and a liberal Muslim to the Senate and a liberal woman to the White House.

Hey whatever happened to that guy who posted in here insisting Minnesota was trending Republican?

Keith Hussein Ellison

No but seriously? As a Minnesotan my dream scenario is that Klobuchar gets picked as VP and Ellison is appointed to her Senate seat. Congratulations Minnesota Republicans, your state sent a liberal Jew and a liberal Muslim to the Senate and a liberal woman to the White House.

Hey whatever happened to that guy who posted in here insisting Minnesota was trending Republican?
Has Ellison got the chops to run for Potus in 2024, assuming he gets into US senate?

kingkitty

Just want to call dibs on the debate thread real fast. I'm working on a little something that's coming together pretty fast. I still wish Biden was in so I could take it to the next level, but this should still be amazing.

Personally I hope for some email puns, this Hillary pic, and a quote from that NY Post secret service story.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Part of me wonders if they (the Chamber of Commerce crowd) knows this, and that they'd prefer an unhinged John Boehner sticking around for as long as possible.

That basically makes winning the presidency and holding the senate a requirement for holding the party together. If they do that they can get rid of the filibuster and all the republicans will get everything they've always wanted. If they don't win 2016, then they're right back to the fundamental problem of being without a speaker and being confronted by a bunch of conservatives who are even more upset at the establishment not doing enough to block the president.

Paul Ryan can at least last as a lightning rod for a few years, similar to Boehner, and try to limit the damage from the extreme side of the party.

Maybe Ryan can somehow last long enough until Democrats retake the house, and Republicans can go back to being united in hating democrats while focusing on local politics to enact their plans.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm disappointed so far with GOP debates because Trumpmeister hasn't performed any fatality since "you're having a hard time tonight" line in the first.

I blame the audience in that second debate. Trump played it well considering the Bush bias. This is the same audience that lost it when Jeb said that W. kept us safe. He did have a killer line, "you're showing some energy tonight. That's good." And it got nothing from the crowd. Imagine if he actually went on the offense.

User 406

Banned
I'm disappointed so far with GOP debates because Trumpmeister hasn't performed any fatality since "you're having a hard time tonight" line in the first.

I dunno, I liked the way he led with, "First of all, Rand Paul shouldn't even be on this stage" last time. That was ice cold. No attack on policy, just "fuck are you even doing here".

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I blame the audience in that second debate. Trump played it well considering the Bush bias. This is the same audience that lost it when Jeb said that W. kept us safe. He did have a killer line, "you're showing some energy tonight. That's good." And it got nothing from the crowd. Imagine if he actually went on the offense.

Trump did kill Jeb in the second debate. No question. Carson didn't die, he's a cooler customer on stage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, we need more fatalities from Trump. A lot of his opponents are weak, he could get a bunch of them in one night.

I dunno, I liked the way he led with, "First of all, Rand Paul shouldn't even be on this stage" last time. That was ice cold. No attack on policy, just "fuck are you even doing here".

I think he was just pissed a dude he killed was brought back on stage, killing a dead man is hardly sporting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Every Time he says something that's out there I'm always a little nervous that he'll get some blowback from it. But nah. The guy is cool as ice.

Trump will find a way to get him, don't you worry. I fully expect him to devour Fiorina's soul next though.

FiggyCal

Banned
Trump will find a way to get him, don't you worry. I fully expect him to devour Fiorina's soul next though.

Not even. He'll stick to attacking Rubio and Jeb. There's only so many times he can say "I cherish women" when he's constantly in the news for attacking them. It's not like Carly's even a serious threat.

There's no way he can't kill her. Christ she barely held it together when he hit her over the head with H.P at the debate. She looked like she was going to cry. She recovered with her PP spiel, but still looked a little shook to me after that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I don't get why they keep pushing Health Savings Accounts. It's a huge no-sell to the average voter. One medical event wipes out the entire thing.

You're telling the me that average republicans with a lower to middle-class salary are jumping at the chance to put more of their own money away in an account that will be destroyed when their kid breaks his leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom