• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about Carson not being able to debate, but why in the world are you using anything from previous knowledge of elections here?

what, referring to evangelical turnout in 2008? this may come as a shock, but people don't move all that frequently. White evangelicals were and are still concentrated heavily in the south and southeast. unfortunately you need to win the northeast, midwest, and west during a primary, and evangelicals tend not to live there.

edit: from february of this year. better than the previous image.

imrs.php

Evangelical support alone will not carry you through a primary, but their absence can tank you.

Things are clearly changing. Over 50% of the GOP voters don't want a politician. Nothing makes sense any more. Carson is a doctor that refuses to admit health care before ACA was becoming a huge problem, a black republican, refuses to admit there is systemic racism, and hates Obama. That is more than enough to make today's GOP love him. He not only "made it out alive" of that debate--his popularity skyrocketed.

You sound like all this is new to you. The republican voters hating politicians and government has been a thing all the way back to Ronald the nine most terrifying words are "I'm from the government and here to help" Reagan. What was his claim to fame again? Oh right- that guy was more notable for his acting than for his politics.

They ALL hate the ACA.

And LOL at "black republican." GOP voters only tolerate black republicans to the point where it can be used to handwave away their own racism. otherwise we'd have had alan keyes elected to....oh, anything at all by now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
what, referring to evangelical turnout in 2008? this may come as a shock, but people don't move all that frequently. White evangelicals were and are still concentrated heavily in the south and southeast. unfortunately you need to win the northeast, midwest, and west during a primary, and evangelicals tend not to live there. Evangelical support alone will not carry you through a primary, but their absence can tank you.

You sound like all this is new to you. The republican voters hating politicians and government has been a thing all the way back to Ronald the nine most terrifying words are "I'm from the government and here to help" Reagan. What was his claim to fame again? Oh right- that guy was more notable for his acting than for his politics.

They ALL hate the ACA.

And LOL at "black republican." if GOP voters only tolerate black republicans to the point where it can be used to handwave away their own racism. otherwise we'd have had alan keyes elected to....oh, anything at all by now.

All I'll say is that comparing this election cycle to anything in the past is a colossal misunderstanding of where the GOP base is at this point. A huge, huge misread. "Unskewed polls" level.

As for Carson, yeah, the rest of the bunch feel similar ways about those things. The problem is that the popular ones don't do them together. Carson does. He has everything they want, plus he's black and doesn't believe racism is systemic. He plays the "black friend" role for the party. "See--that one black guy who is my friend says racism isn't a problem, so it isn't!" They've been waiting for this chance for years. I still think he flames out and his voters go to Trump, but to brush him off like that is beyond foolish. He's as folksy as George W. Bush was and has just about as much knowledge of foreign issues when Bush was elected.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, I was wondering if the renaming of the mountain was really just about climate change headlines or if it was just a 2-in-1 for native pandering. I do wonder though, has the oil crash affected the economy there in a way similar to Alberta, Canada? Because Alberta voted in a bunch of non-conservatives and was wondering if the same is possible in Alaska?

Right now, there are very few states that are Lean Republican. North Carolina is really the only example, with Georgia and Arizona being Likely Republican. That will change in the next few years -- Georgia and Arizona will (slowly) trend towards Lean Republican, followed by states like Montana. I do think we'll get to a point where Alaska is in play, but only during a Democratic wave.

(This ignores that there will be states trending Red. I'm only talking about Red states that are slowly trending Blue)

All I'll say is that comparing this election cycle to anything in the past is a colossal misunderstanding of where the GOP base is at this point. A huge, huge misread. "Unskewed polls" level.

and all I'll say is that ignoring previous election trends because it doesn't fit your narrative is "unskewed polls" level. There is nothing "unskewed" about "evangelicals cluster in the south and can't be counted on to win a primary by themselves."

saying otherwise is lunacy.

As for Carson, yeah, the rest of the bunch feel similar ways about those things. The problem is that the popular ones don't do them together. Carson does. He has everything they want, plus he's black and doesn't believe racism is systemic. He plays the "black friend" role for the party. "See--that one black guy who is my friend says racism isn't a problem, so it isn't!" They've been waiting for this chance for years. I still think he flames out and his voters go to Trump, but to brush him off like that is beyond foolish. He's as folksy as George W. Bush was and has just about as much knowledge of foreign issues when Bush was elected.

jesus christ you can't be serious here. literally none of this is accurate.

Thing about Alaska and Montana is if they do flip it probably wouldn't be out if any conscious effort by the Democrats. They're too small to likely change the outcome of a presidential election.

ivysaur12

Banned
Thing about Alaska and Montana is if they do flip it probably wouldn't be out if any conscious effort by the Democrats. They're too small to likely change the outcome of a presidential election.

At worst, it's 6 electoral votes (possibly 7 in the future). That's not nothing!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
and all I'll say is that ignoring previous election trends because it doesn't fit your narrative is "unskewed polls" level. There is nothing "unskewed" about "evangelicals cluster in the south and can't be counted on to win a primary by themselves."

saying otherwise is lunacy.

Nowhere did I say the evangelical vote was the most important. Nowhere. I did imply it was a factor. Huge difference. Right now Trump is leading with evangelicals. Eventually, I see them leaving him for Carson or others, which is why I said Trump needed to fire back about that "Trump isn't a real Christian" remark. Evangelicals leaving could be trouble for Trump. Will it mean his total loss? No--and I never implied such, so stop acting like I did.

jesus christ you can't be serious here. literally none of this is accurate.

Do you remember George W. Bush before the 2000 election? People loved him because of how folksy he was. I remember seeing the words, "simple," "kind," and "positive" used in reference to him in numerous media. He was "The guy you wanted to just sit down and have a beer with." He was the guy next door. His knowledge of foreign issues wasn't expansive, and I'm puzzled as to why you believe it was. He frequently messed up names of foreign countries and dignitaries. There were times he was asked about foreign affairs and had no idea what they were talking about. GOP voters thought it was adorable.

Carson is playing that role at this point. If you disagree, fine. Whatever. I'd estimate that 90% of the people I work with/attend church with are republican. Every single one talks about Carson in the exact same way. Every one. Read conservative/GOP message boards--it's the same. They don't talk about anyone else. But Carson? He's the hero. He's the Christian who backs up their beliefs about racism in America. The guy that agrees that the poor "have pride" and can simply just dust themselves off and become millionaires.

Denying that Bush's folksy, down home attitude and demeanor was a huge draw for republicans is ignoring history.

Tarkus

Right now, there are very few states that are Lean Republican. North Carolina is really the only example, with Georgia and Arizona being Likely Republican. That will change in the next few years -- Georgia and Arizona will (slowly) trend towards Lean Republican, followed by states like Montana. I do think we'll get to a point where Alaska is in play, but only during a Democratic wave.

(This ignores that there will be states trending Red. I'm only talking about Red states that are slowly trending Blue)
You're going to have to show some receipts here. There's no way you can say that with a straight face. The voting distribution maps have been unchanged for years in every election. Urban centers blue and sections of the South. Everywhere else, red as hell.

Nowhere did I say the evangelical vote was the most important. Nowhere. I did imply it was a factor. Huge difference. Right now Trump is leading with evangelicals. Eventually, I see them leaving him for Carson or others, which is why I said Trump needed to fire back about that "Trump isn't a real Christian" remark. Evangelicals leaving could be trouble for Trump. Will it mean his total loss? No--and I never implied such, so stop acting like I did.

what you DID was question why anyone would "use information from a previous election, because everything has changed!" when...it hasn't. at all. Evangelicals are nice to have, but will not carry you through a primary. this was true in 2008 when Mike Huckabee had them virtually all to himself vs. McCain and Romney, and it's still true today.

McCain didn't have them in any significant numbers that year and still won- though Romney being terrible had a good deal to do with it as well. Carson can keep every single evangelical and still get his ass kicked, because they are once again- extremely regional and clustered heavily in the south. This hasn't changed.

Do you remember George W. Bush before the 2000 election? People loved him because of how folksy he was. I remember seeing the words, "simple," "kind," and "positive" used in reference to him in numerous media. He was "The guy you wanted to just sit down and have a beer with." He was the guy next door. His knowledge of foreign issues wasn't expansive, and I'm puzzled as to why you believe it was. He frequently messed up names of foreign countries and dignitaries. There were times he was asked about foreign affairs and had no idea what they were talking about. GOP voters thought it was adorable.

Lets be real here. Bush in 2000 was playing the village idiot because it worked. Gore was the policy wonk, so "who would you rather have a beer with" was the strategy.

I'm not saying Bush is a genius, but consider the comparison you're making. Bush was a two term governor whose father was head of the CIA, then vice president, then president of the united states. His advisor through the primary then later Vice Presidential pick was the former secretary of defense and house chairman for about a decade. The implication- much like it is with Hillary- is that Bush was bringing some of that experience with him. Yes, Iraq and Afghanistan was a clusterfuck of massive proportions, but Bush rarely gets his props for his substantial efforts to alleviate AIDS and malaria on the african continent. Something tells me that one wasn't one of Cheyney's priorities.

Ben Carson on the other hand is a doctor who MIGHT have seen the white house once on a tour.

Carson is playing that role at this point. If you disagree, fine. Whatever. I'd estimate that 90% of the people I work with/attend church with are republican. Every single one talks about Carson in the exact same way. Every one

so...explain why he's polling at 19%? 81% of the republican electorate prefers someone else. Clearly your personal experience isn't as applicable to the public at large as you seem to think.

NeoXChaos

Plinko I think what Manmademan is trying to say is that the Republican nomination will largely and ironically be won with the Republican electorate in blue and purple states. States that if you look at the calendar are of different demographics(moderates) and winner take all. The SEC primary is proportional.

Plinko I think what Manmademan is trying to say is that the Republican nomination will largely and ironically be won with the Republican electorate in blue and purple states. States that if you look at the calendar are winner take all. The SEC primary is proportional.

this also, thank you

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, you guys really need to watch that Biden interview. It's really good stuff, he opens up and talks about dealing with Beau's death. I hope they cut the Uber guy's interview to show it all (he comes off as disingenuous and phony compared to Biden). Half way through I felt like he's gonna run, but after the second half I'm not so sure. The decision seems less about the political calculus and more about has he healed enough after Beau.

Summed up, based off that interview, 60/40 he's in. He's probably not there yet, but it looks like he might just make it.

Seriously though, watch it. Steven was saying to us at the end how special that interview was. If they decide not to show the whole thing go watch it all together online tomorrow.

ivysaur12

Banned
You're going to have to show some receipts here. There's no way you can say that with a straight face. The voting distribution maps have been unchanged for years in every election. Urban centers blue and sections of the South. Everywhere else, red as hell.

You're right, how could I say such a thing with a straight face when it's a demographically documental phenomena.

Georgia.png

Am I just making things up?

Since 2000, the white share of registered voters in Georgia has fallen to 59 percent, from 72 percent. That’s mainly because of demographic change — the white share of eligible voters has fallen to 60 percent from 68 percent over the same period.

What makes this decline particularly helpful for Democrats is that 48 percent of the newly eligible nonwhite voters are black. (Hispanics make up a larger share of newly eligible nonwhite voters elsewhere in the country, and blacks typically vote Democratic in larger proportion.) Over the past decade, Georgia’s pool of eligible black voters grew by nearly 600,000, compared with about 375,000 newly eligible white voters. Some of this is because of generational change, but many new black voters have moved from expensive northeastern cities to growing middle-class suburban communities on the south side of Atlanta.

Unlike Texas, Georgia is not a state where Democrats have a lot of work to do to capitalize on demographic change.

Thanks in part to the surge in voter registration ahead of President Obama’s election in 2008, more than 500,000 new black voters have been added to the rolls since 2000, along with 466,000 other nonwhite voters, compared with 111,275 more registered white voters. Georgia is now one of only a few states where a larger percentage of eligible nonwhite voters is registered than eligible white voters. Democrats like to remark that there are hundreds of thousands of unregistered black voters in Georgia. That’s true, but they don’t mention that there are far more unregistered white voters.

And even though Nunn lost:

What’s telling, though, is that we’re even talking about this possibility in 2014, a year when nonwhite turnout should be lower and when the president’s party shouldn’t have much of a chance in a state with such a strong Republican advantage. That speaks volumes to the pace of demographic change in Georgia. If Ms. Nunn were running two years from now, with a presidential electorate, the race might not be a true tossup; she might have the edge.

Also note that neither Cook nor Crystal Ball considers Georgia a "Safe Republican", but instead a "Likely Republican". Georgia has been inching bluer.

pigeon

Banned

Sure, but why would that matter? The voting distribution maps aren't going to change. The population in urban centers is going to change. Atlanta just keeps getting bigger.

Now, admittedly, I think Georgia is to the Democratic Party what Pennsylvania is to the Republicans. Georgia's getting steadily more non-white, but white Georgians are overwhelmingly Republican. It looks like a good possibility, but it turns out the numbers are just too tough. But if the Democrats were to flip a red state, Georgia is probably it. What else would flip?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cruz put that out? That isn't someone trolling him?

He has got to be the biggest moron of all time.

You can buy it from the Ted Cruz website, so yes, apparently he put it out

NeoXChaos

Sure, but why would that matter? The voting distribution maps aren't going to change. The population in urban centers is going to change. Atlanta just keeps getting bigger.

Now, admittedly, I think Georgia is to the Democratic Party what Pennsylvania is to the Republicans. Georgia's getting steadily more non-white, but white Georgians are overwhelmingly Republican. It looks like a good possibility, but it turns out the numbers are just too tough. But if the Democrats were to flip a red state, Georgia is probably it. What else would flip?

Arizona but the Democrats have been consistently stuck between 43-45% of the vote for years so maybe not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Arizona,_1996

150910181128-debate-graphic-8-p-m--exlarge-169.jpg

Farmboy

I expect either Carson or Trump to crumple after this debate. Probably Carson.

I think Rubio is one great debate performance away from being the (non-Trump) front runner. Granted, with a field this size that might well be true for any of them. But Rubio is more likely to pull it of than most, certainly than Walker or Jeb.

I think Rubio is one great debate performance away from being the (non-Trump) front runner. Granted, with a field this size that might well be true for any of them. But Rubio is more likely to pull it of than most, certainly than Walker or Jeb.

with 11 people on stage and trump, carson, and fiorina likely to get most of the attention, a standout moment for rubio is going to be hard to pull off- especially if he's reluctant to attack the frontrunner, which pretty much everyone is.

Cruz put that out? That isn't someone trolling him?

He has got to be the biggest moron of all time.

An artist made the poster, but Cruz does love it. It is a great pic. I swear I've seen the original photo before, and I think the guy is holding a hypodermic needle in his hands.

Will Trump go after Carson?

He sort of did:

Trump hours earlier called in to CNN's "New Day" and laid into his rival, calling Carson -- the first surgeon to separate conjoined twins joined at the head -- just an "OK doctor" and said "you look at his faith and I think you're not going to find so much."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/politics/donald-trump-ben-carson-cnn/

But then Carson came out and said he wasn't trying to talk shit about Trump when he made the immigration plan comments, and I expect Trump will leave it at this and they won't touch each other again unless they're still the two front-runners closer to nomination.

At worst, it's 6 electoral votes (possibly 7 in the future). That's not nothing!
Well sure, if it was one "big" state with 6-7 electoral votes. I don't think there'd be much to gain from advertising heavily in two different and mostly contained media markets when you might not even win either of them. Better to pour that money into Virginia or something.

watershed

Banned
Events are conspiring to make the CNN debate the beginning of the end of Donald Trump and it's going to start in the way of least consequence for the GOP. Carson, Fiorina, and other no-shots are gonna pile on Trump and the crazies will take out the crazies like in 2012, paving the way for Jeb to be the boring, safe candidate.

Tarkus

You're right, how could I say such a thing with a straight face when it's a demographically documental phenomena.

Georgia.png

Am I just making things up?

And even though Nunn lost:

Also note that neither Cook nor Crystal Ball considers Georgia a "Safe Republican", but instead a "Likely Republican". Georgia has been inching bluer.
The graph shows virtually no change in the past thirty years. The greatest changes were in the MLK era and the peanut president era, and rightfully so because both rooted in GA. I'm not seeing how the graph supports your point.

Your second point entirely assumes that because a voter is non-white, they're not going to vote Republican, which is ridiculous in this state because there are far more black Republicans than you or these pieces are giving credit for.

I agree with a large portion of your post. Hell has frozen over ;)

The graph shows virtually no change in the past thirty years. The greatest changes were in the MLK era and the peanut president era, and rightfully so because both rooted in GA. I'm not seeing how the graph supports your point.

Your second point entirely assumes that because a voter is non-white, they're not going to vote Republican, which is ridiculous in this state because there are far more black Republicans than you or these pieces are giving credit for.

Mitt Romney only received 17% of the non-white vote.

and only 13% of the black vote.

Saying that black republicans are in any way significant is out of touch with reality.

Tarkus

Mitt Romney only received 17% of the non-white vote.

and only 13% of the black vote.

Saying that black republicans are in any way significant is out of touch with reality.
With all due respect, Romney faced the first black incumbent president. Those numbers make plenty of sense to me.

Is it really? Georgia blacks backed Obama 98-2 in 2008 compared to 95-4 as a whole nationwide.

I mean yes as an absolute number there are probably "a lot" of black Republicans. There's also "a lot" of Democrats in Texas. But that doesn't mean they're significant.

ivysaur12

Banned

You might want to actually look at the graph I posted again. The PVI for Georgia has slowly trended Democratic since 2004. I didn't say this would be a fast change, like Virginia, just that it's something that's becoming more likely.

Here, my original point:

Georgia and Arizona will (slowly) trend towards Lean Republican

Just looks at the PVI trends for Georgia since 2004. This is a "no shit" statement of fact, especially with Georgia's growing Hispanic population. I don't think it'll be competitive in 2016 or even 2020, for what it's worth.

With all due respect, Romney faced the first black incumbent president. Those numbers make plenty of sense to me.
Obama did not particularly overperform with blacks compared to past Democratic nominees. I would be very surprised if Trump (or whoever the 2016 GOP nominee is) did significantly better than Romney or McCain with black voters.

Diablos

I'm skimming through the Quinnipac poll. There's no real evidence, but looking at the gender distributions I can't help but feel like there's just a bunch of men who won't go for a female candidate.

There's also a bunch of policy questions after all the obligatory election stuff that's a bit more interesting.

Maybe time for PoliGAF to reassess?

A lot of men are really insecure about voting for women... so your hunch is probably not invalid.

And for the zillionth time, Trump has this in the bag.

Walker sucks, Jeb is VERY underwhelming as a candidate (I'm truly surprised by how poorly he presents himself, I would have never guessed it), Rubio might have a chance but I'm starting to think he might be all hype. They really have no other viable candidates outside of those three plus Trump.

NeoXChaos

The former secretary of state has the support of 37 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters, with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 27 percent.
Vice President Joe Biden, who has not yet declared whether he will run, polls at 20 percent. He is the sole presidential hopeful to make substantial gains in August, up 6 points.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/09/10/demsclinton.pdf

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...lead-democrats-september-213540#ixzz3lOPeW4CN

Diablos

btw does anyone remember the way Jeb! asked Stephen Colbert's brother for his vote? It was so creepy and desperate.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The Fix is still keeping track of who the other leaders were at this point in thier elections. I decided to look up more detailed numbers:

Gephardt - 16%
Dean - 14%
Lieberman - 13%
Kerry - 12%

2008 (R)
Giuliani - 28%
Thompson - 20%
McCain - 13%

2008 (D)
Hillary - 42%
Obama - 24%

Perry - 31%
Romney - 19%

Trump - 30%
Carson - 16%
Bush - 8%

Before that it gets really difficult to find data, but Roper Center has Gallup charts here. Every leader in GOP polls at this time ended up winning between 1960 and 2000.

Eventual Democrat nominees that were behind at this time include

- (1968) Robert Kennedy leading Humphrey before president Johnson created anarchy by deciding not to run
- (1972) Muskie leading McGovern before Muskie "broke down" in front of the press when defending his wife.
- (1976) Brown leading Carter before Carter gained national exposure by focusing on Iowa and benefiting from Humphrey not running, McGovern dropping out early, and Brown starting far too late
- (1988) Hart leading Dukakis before Hart's affair
- (1992) Brown leading Clinton before Cuomo created anarchy by deciding not to run, giving Clinton room to become noticed

I do see a history where front runners in relatively close races can end up losing, but I don't really see any history where people started hugely supporting someone they liked and ended up choosing to go with someone who's electable instead. People like to say 2012, but that was a mess with anti-Romneys rising and then falling to some form of attack once they hit the limelight. Trump surviving through the attacks and outliving all the anti-Romneys already disqualify it as a useful comparison, given the reasons behind those rises and falls.

2008 actually had both Giuliani and Hillary fall to primary voters finding them too moderate on various issues, which I guess might be Trump's downfall too, but supposedly he's doing the best with the far right.

Events are conspiring to make the CNN debate the beginning of the end of Donald Trump and it's going to start in the way of least consequence for the GOP. Carson, Fiorina, and other no-shots are gonna pile on Trump and the crazies will take out the crazies like in 2012, paving the way for Jeb to be the boring, safe candidate.

The man survived far worse than that so far. Why would you think that Ben and Carly are the strands that would break The Don's toupee?

HylianTom

Banned
This was a while ago. I think it's the least punchable he's ever looked
I'm reminded of that classic comedy sketch where someone tries to bullwhip a cigarette out of their volunteer's mouth and instead lashes the hell out of the person's face.. while the cigarette goes untouched.

Polling out today looks brutal for all Dems. It's not just about Clinton. Even Biden would lose to Carson.
Just wait 5 minutes; it's like the weather.

Makes you wonder what it's about that's dragging the whole party down. The Iran deal negativity maybe?

The ironic thing is that Obama's poll numbers are actually going up, and went positive in one of the trackers recently.

But, I think the reason is fairly obvious. If you're a low info voter, all you've heard in the last couple of months is that Hillary sent emails directly to ISIS from her iPad, the Democrats might nominate a socialist who will give all your money to those people, and they might be desperate enough to instead nominate the guy The Onion and Jimmy Fallon makes fun of all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom