• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes you wonder what it's about that's dragging the whole party down. The Iran deal negativity maybe?

The economy is bad for many people. Like, really bad. Stagnant wages and limited job options. This has been the case for quite awhile, and there is no hope of anything happening in congress. Meanwhile Obama's focus is on everything except the economy.

His polling hasn't really moved at all in months, despite a host of "legacy shaping" moves/wins/etc. That tells you people have tuned the president out, and that people's focus is elsewhere.

I think the arrival of the 2016 election has essentially reminded voters of how let down they've been by the Obama presidency, and now they're looking for any other option. Hillary is the worst candidate to run in an election where politicians are this disrespected by the electorate.

watershed

Banned
The man survived far worse than that so far. Why would you think that Ben and Carly are the strands that would break The Don's toupee?

Well, not just them. I think this debate is going to begin the pile on. There have been so many articles about GOP fundraisers and strategists and establishment figures getting antsy about Trump and only lately have various candidates started attacking him on the stump and to the press. I think this debate is going to reflect this change.

The economy is bad for many people. Like, really bad. Stagnant wages and limited job options. This has been the case for quite awhile, and there is no hope of anything happening in congress. Meanwhile Obama's focus is on everything except the economy.

His polling hasn't really moved at all in months, despite a host of "legacy shaping" moves/wins/etc. That tells you people have tuned the president out, and that people's focus is elsewhere.

I think the arrival of the 2016 election has essentially reminded voters of how let down they've been by the Obama presidency, and now they're looking for any other option. Hillary is the worst candidate to run in an election where politicians are this disrespected by the electorate.

Zero of that explains why his approval, at worst, has been the same for years now. It's actually gotten better by some measures. Doesn't explain the party as a whole suddenly losing to numerous GOP candidates when they were doing better for a long time.

NeoXChaos

Zero of that explains why his approval, at worst, has been the same for years now. It's actually gotten better by some measures. Doesn't explain the party as a whole suddenly losing to numerous GOP candidates when they were doing better for a long time.

Polarization. Polls showing those early results were never going to hold. Trump or whoever was and will be is going to poll like a generic R. 40-45%

blah blah "polls don't matter" blah blah. :D

Diablos

Democrats are fucked. I don't know if it's that their brand is ruined or if too many reliable Dem voters are starting to get depressed.

watershed

Banned
Democrats are fucked. I don't know if it's that their brand is ruined or if too many reliable Dem voters are starting to get depressed.

Are you joking? Outside of the economy not being amazing (but still doing well) and HIllary not being an electrifying candidate, things are lining up very nicely for democrats in terms of winning issues and voter trends.

TLDR: the failure of the democrat party to address the economy for the middle class has resulting in more voters gravitating to the GOP candidates.

TLDR: the failure of the democrat party to address the economy for the middle class has resulting in more voters gravitating to the GOP candidates.

I read what you wrote. I just think, once again, you've completely failed to explain anything with any sense of logic.

If it was all Obama's fault his approval in Gallup today wouldn't be +3.

Ecotic

Biden does well in the CNN matchups. RCP has Obama underwater only 3 points. Hillary just sucks as a candidate. She's the only person out there in both fields who limits her media coverage because she does worse with exposure, it's a bad omen.

btw does anyone remember the way Jeb! asked Stephen Colbert's brother for his vote? It was so creepy and desperate.
He also didn't even wait to respond to Colbert's political questions, he responded with a scripted response as soon as Colbert finished, it was so odd and unnatural. The whole thing was a disaster, saying his brother wasn't conservative enough, his mom didn't want him to run, he will somehow bring the parties together, etc.

pigeon

Banned
Makes you wonder what it's about that's dragging the whole party down. The Iran deal negativity maybe?

People don't care about foreign policy.

I think you're overthinking this. There weren't a bunch of polls out today, there was just one poll out today.

In that sample there were 395 registered Democrats and Democrat leaners and 474 Republicans and Republican leaners.

So, I mean, of course the Republican candidates did really well in the poll. If that's what the electorate looks like next year, the Republicans will win the White House, no question.

Biden does well in the CNN matchups. RCP has Obama underwater only 3 points. Hillary just sucks as a candidate. She's the only person out there in both fields who limits her media coverage because she does worse with exposure, it's a bad omen.

Losing to Ben Carson by 3 is not that great of a look. Then you got Trump beating Sanders in another poll.

That goes beyond Clinton.

People don't care about foreign policy.

I think you're overthinking this. There weren't a bunch of polls out today, there was just one poll out today.

In that sample there were 395 registered Democrats and Democrat leaners and 474 Republicans and Republican leaners.

So, I mean, of course the Republican candidates did really well in the poll. If that's what the electorate looks like next year, the Republicans will win the White House, no question.

There was an Emerson College poll.

pigeon

Banned

This poll has like 12% undecided on every matchup. Those people aren't really undecided. There aren't 12% undecided people in all of America. They're just expressing frustration with the contest.

This is actually the exact same thing Mitt Romney saw in 2008. Obama was leading him by like 13 points with 10% reporting as undecided before the first debate. But all those undecided voters were just waiting for a reason to start telling people they liked Mitt Romney. As soon as he did well in the first debate he popped up to within a few points and the undecided number plummeted.

I would venture a guess, although admittedly it's just a guess, that since all the Democrats are underperforming, most of those undecided voters are Democrats who are currently unhappy. But we've got a year to convince them to get their shit together and vote. They will not stay that way forever.

Losing to Ben Carson by 3 is not that great of a look. Then you got Trump beating Sanders in another poll.

Again, there were poll showing Herman Cain beating Obama in 2012. 45% of each side would vote for Satan themselves if they had an R or D by their name, and the other 10% are people who don't know how the federal government works, let alone what policies people have unless it's blasted into their home with 90 gazillion ads.

What should they have done to address it? Care to back up your assertion? The only thing I think they could propose that might pass are tax cuts.

Again, there were poll showing Herman Cain beating Obama in 2012. 45% of each side would vote for Satan themselves if they had an R or D by their name, and the other 10% are people who don't know how the federal government works, let alone what policies people have unless it's blasted into their home with 90 gazillion ads.
This is why I'm jaded by US politics so much...I'm not at all interested in it as much as I was say 10 years ago. The destiny of the entire free world, global markets, war and peace depends on a bunch of corn farmers in the middle of iowa who are dumb enough to fail a citizenship test. It's too much.

What should they have done to address it? Care to back up your assertion? The only thing I think they could propose that might pass are tax cuts.

Wouldn't be surprised if republicans then started going on about bububu the deficit, wher muh fiscal responsibility and blocked that thing anyway.

This is why I'm jaded by US politics so much...I'm not at all interested in it as much as I was say 10 years ago. The destiny of the entire free world, global markets, war and peace depends on a bunch of corn farmers in the middle of iowa who are dumb enough to fail a citizenship test. It's too much.

Well, it beats the old method of "which royal sperm hit the ovary first and managed to survive to adulthood?" that the human race used for most of it's history.

Eh, that's every country though. I mean, even in Europe, who suddenly deserve race based populism the moment brown people showed up, they all have their idiotic voters.

The truth is, people are stupid, and a technocratic government would be awesome, except it'd be taken over by those with corrupt interests, and not actually run to the benefit of all. Ya' know, worse system except for all the others.

Wouldn't be surprised if republicans then started going on about bububu the deficit, wher muh fiscal responsibility and blocked that thing anyway.

Well, it beats the old method of "which royal sperm hit the ovary first and managed to survive to adulthood?" that the human race used for most of it's history.
At least with royal sperm you don't have to worry about idiots dragging the whole thing down. Whoever said democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding whats for dinner is so fricking apt.
Eh, that's every country though. I mean, even in Europe, who suddenly deserve race based populism the moment brown people showed up, they all have their idiotic voters.

The truth is, people are stupid, and a technocratic government would be awesome, except it'd be taken over by those with corrupt interests, and not actually run to the benefit of all. Ya' know, worse system except for all the others.

Honestly I think parliamentary system has more representation than our current set up. It is a better reflection of the state of the country than just two parties.

HylianTom

Banned
Part of me wishes Biden would get in, if only to contrast for the American people the Democrats' conversation against the shitshow on the other side. If it stays Hillary vs Bernie, the two candidates are going to remain polite in their disagreements, and the media will remain relatively bored.

Well I must say if the electorate is only 3% Hispanic we're going to be in some serious shit!

I was honestly thinking of e-mailing them at that link to inquire about why the electorate is 80% white at first glance. Surely they adjusted the weighting or something and those are just the raw numbers.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The effects of the Daily Show and Colbert Report both dieing is finally catching up to us.

Seriously though. It's just one poll. No need to freak out about it yet.

ivysaur12

Banned
Anyone have Georgia's 2012 exit polls? Want to see the black and Hispanic vote.

The AP didn't do exit polling in 19 states in 2012. Georgia was one of them. There was no racial breakdown in 2012 polling because of it, which is very frustrating (not just for Georgia, but for a host of other states).

In 2008, Obama won 98% of the black vote. McCain won 2%. Obama won 23% of the white vote. McCain won 76%. No other races were reported in 2008 exit polls for Georgia.

However, Black Belt states went more Democratic in 2012 than they did in 2008, (click "Change from '08" below the map) while the rest of the state went more Republican like most states in the country save for Alaska (which had the biggest swing towards the Dems without Palin on the ticket), Mississippi, Louisiana, New Jersey, and Maryland. MS and LA are interesting, especially MS, which has the highest black population of any state in the country.

Wilsongt

Bernie Sanders must read PoliGAF and PD is his favorite poster.

“Biggest political mistake that he made is after his brilliant campaign in 2008, he basically said to the millions of people who supported him, ‘Thanks for getting me elected, I will take it from here.’ I will not make that mistake.”

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well that's true, and that is why Obama is leaving the Democrat Party in shambles compared to when he found it.

Diablos

Diablos.

Get some ice cream. Calm down. Don't think about Pennsylvania.
I'm not thinking about PA. PA will be going blue no matter what and the state legislature won't be able to gerrymander the EV either, because Wolf is the Governor. I'm more concerned with Dems in the general election. If even Donald Trump can all but evaporate Hillary's lead in an increasing number of polls, that is not a good thing. Pretty sure we were all under the assumption that Trump would never be able to do that.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm not thinking about PA. PA will be going blue no matter what and the state legislature won't be able to gerrymander the EV either, because Wolf is the Governor. I'm more concerned with Dems in the general election. If even Donald Trump can all but evaporate Hillary's lead in an increasing number of polls, that is not a good thing. Pretty sure we were all under the assumption that Trump would never be able to do that.
I had mentioned in another thread:
with Sarah friggin' Palin on the ticket, Dubya's approval ratings in the 20s/30s, Katrina bungled, Iraq mired, the financial sector melted-down, cheerleadery media coverage for Obama.. the GOP ticket still got 45% in 2008.

Winning a third time in a row is going to be tough. The shittiness of the last decade is quickly fading in voters' memories. They start to take for granted certain things, and as they get comfortable, they start to warm-up to the idea of giving the keys back to the guys who drove us into the ditch in the first place. Things are likely going to be tight, regardless of whom they nominate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Quinnipiac said:
By 79 percent to 15 percent, likely Republican caucus-goers in the poll said experience outside of Washington is better for a president than Washington experience.

I will never understand this mindset. If I walked into their farm/plumbing/etc. business and told them I thought experience that had almost nothing to do with the job is better, they would flip.

President, though? Pfft. Anyone can do it, am I right?

I had mentioned in another thread:
with Sarah friggin' Palin on the ticket, Dubya's approval ratings in the 20s/30s, Katrina bungled, Iraq mired, the financial sector melted-down, cheerleadery media coverage for Obama.. the GOP ticket still got 45% in 2008.

Basically that just shows each party will get 45% of the vote no matter what. Four years later despite having the worst economy since the Great Depression that % only went up by three points. The blue / red divide is real.

Bernie Sanders must read PoliGAF and PD is his favorite poster.

It's a fair point when you consider what has happened to state legislatures during Obama's presidency.

Obama built up remarkably good campaign infrastructures for his presidential campaigns and then did fuck-all to leverage them for state races and midterms.

Wilsongt

It's a fair point when you consider what has happened to state legislatures during Obama's presidency.

That's not all completely Obama's fault, though. Also, you have to look at how many Democrats ran away from Obama and his policies in 2014. So, I don't feel Obama completely turned his backed on those who voted him in.

That's not all completely Obama's fault, though. Also, you have to look at how many Democrats ran away from Obama and his policies in 2014. So, I don't feel Obama completely turned his backed on those who voted him in.

It's not all his fault, no. But he bears a considerable amount of responsibility for it.

OFA was supposed to become a powerful grassroots political force that would benefit Democrats across the country. That hasn't come remotely close to happening.

Hillary has already been very outspoken about needing to rebuild the party at all levels, which is encouraging. She's got a lot of work to do.

Wilsongt

It's not all his fault, no. But he bears a considerable amount of responsibility for it.

OFA was supposed to become a powerful grassroots political force that would benefit Democrats across the country. That hasn't come remotely close to happening.

Hillary has already been very outspoken about needing to rebuild the party at all levels, which is encouraging. She's got a lot of work to do.

That's true... The Democratic party really does need a rallying point to come together to take on that juggernaut machine the GOP has going on right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom