• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

So the detail on the freedom caucus "support" is that it does not come with an acceptance of Ryan's conditions. Wonder how that will play out.

Diablos

Unreal. He has to be aware of his own attendance.

It's also ironic for any member of the Senate, particularly a Republican, to whine about people not doing their jobs. Congress is at 1920's levels of inaction and dysfunction. Take a look in the mirror, fuckface. If you really want to practice what you preach, you need to fire yourself.

btw are you a Winamp developer

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So the detail on the freedom caucus "support" is that it does not come with an acceptance of Ryan's conditions. Wonder how that will play out.

I'm not sure of how all the procedures work, but I assume that means they'll vote for him to be speaker but vote against his rule changes?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Seems like this is in the bag for him now.

Speaker Ryan. Get used to it.

1. No

2. He'll likely decline if he's as ambitious as we think

3. no, stop

4. either scenario is good for liberal causes. Either he takes it and an decently electable presidential hopeful is destroyed under the weight of government stoppage, or he declines and the GOP is further hurt by division

5. seriously stahp

Makai

Uh oh:

PFKiYOL.png

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/u...ton-have-been-intense-rivals-in-private.html?
As he watched Hillary Rodham Clinton’s relentless march toward the Oval Office over the past several months, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. was privately churning.

Meetings with his foreign policy aides veered into lengthy discussions about Mrs. Clinton’s hawkish stance. At dinners with donors, Mr. Biden expressed astonishment at her handling of the controversy over her private email server. Those close to him say the mere mention of her name could make him fume, and he viewed her family’s potent, sometimes punishing political machinery with growing resentment.

For weeks leading up to his announcement on Wednesday, Mr. Biden also repeatedly told advisers and potential campaign staff members that he did not believe Mrs. Clinton could defeat the Republican candidate. He watched as she played up her relationship with Mr. Obama, especially when speaking to black crowds in South Carolina and elsewhere, and argued that if anyone should take advantage of the sitting president’s record and high approval rating among Democratic primary voters, it should be him.

The vice president viewed Mrs. Clinton as “this book-smart student who succeeded by dint of grunt work but not by dazzling brilliance,” said saw himself as the more “intuitive politician and the intuitive leader and policy maker,” said one Democrat who has spoken to people advising Mr. Biden.
Yikes. I guess the trolling was just public manifestation of this frustration.

Maledict

That NYtimes article just reinforces my belief that a huge amount of the support for Biden was based around an illusion that didn't really exist. We all love plain speaking crazy uncle Joe who doesn't give a damn what he says, but we forget that he's failed twice badly when running for president, has a dodgy recollection of the truth just like Clinton, outside of gay marriage he's to the right of Obama and Clinton on social issues and has a bad foot in mouth tendency. Quirks we can write off as VP would be attack fodder when running for the top slot.

Biden dodged a bullet. I'd imagine many people had a lot of hit pieces ready for him, specifically on crime and the militarization of police. Suddenly the same people who have little problem with Hillary's record on these issues would be demanding Biden's head on a platter.

And eventually his nonstop gaffes and off the cuff remarks would be too much. The media would turn on him and then the game would be over. I'm glad he decided not to run.

In sorry but the times spent the last 3 months saying biden was running. Why the hell should anyone believe their sources on this. It's clear their source has an ax to grind with clinton. None of that is "news"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In sorry but the times spent the last 3 months saying biden was running. Why the hell should anyone believe their sources on this. It's clear their source has an ax to grind with clinton. None of that is "news"

Pretty much, they've been wrong about this for a while now. It's like a PD prediction at this point.

Cheebo

Banned
From his speech and his swipe about Republicans being his friends it's clear he wanted to run, the fact he had no chance at winning boxed him out though.

I don't think I'd characterise the Times as spending the last three months saying Biden was running, at least not any more than pretty much every media outlet speculating. I'm not even sure where in the article it comes across as attacking Clinton; Biden comes off quite poorly in it not her.

They royally f'd up that email story a while back granted, and I have no idea what they were thinking running that Osama bin Laden piece recently.

But it's still the NYT not the Washington Times, so that comparison seems kind of unfair.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
His appeal was the same thing that "did him in" (ignoring other factors) every time. People like raw emotion when they're not voting for it. The Colbert interview a few weeks ago was great. I'd never vote for someone who publicly wretched for months about whether or not he would have the strength to be president. But it was such good TV. I felt like I was getting an inside look into his private world. Next.

HylianTom

Banned
I feel bad for Biden, and I get the idea of how a showy politician can be preferable (see: Bill & Barack), but I'd like to see the wonkier candidate win for once. And given that the GOP doesn't really have a viable Obama-tier showman (nope, I don't count Trump as viable, although he's quite a show-stealer), this is a decent chance to finally see it happen.

And as always, there's an appropriate SNL sketch for the topic of wonkiness..
A Glimpse of Our Possible Future: Al Gore
http://www.hulu.com/watch/284729
(I love the "y'all are gonna need to get your homework out..") 😂

I feel bad for Biden, and I get the idea of how a showy politician can be preferable (see: Bill & Barack), but I'd like to see the wonkier candidate win for once.

Wait; Obama isn't wonky enough for you?

I've always thought him a very serious, data- and fact-driven politician rather than a showman.

I'd say that his shortcomings in his first term were directly because of his poor showmanship. He seemed to want to stay more behind the scenes in his first term and let Congress do their thing.

Second term Obama has given us a better "show", but I don't think it's because of his showmanship. Rather he just trolls his opponents from time to time and he's in IDGAF mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom