• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Wait; Obama isn't wonky enough for you?

I've always thought him a very serious, data- and fact-driven politician rather than a showman.

I'd say that his shortcomings in his first term were directly because of his poor showmanship. He seemed to want to stay more behind the scenes in his first term and let Congress do their thing.

Second term Obama has given us a better "show", but I don't think it's because of his showmanship. Rather he just trolls his opponents from time to time and he's in IDGAF mode.
You're right. His wonkiness often gets outshone by his alleged style (or maybe it's the media's portrayal of his style that clouds me on this).

And someone just posted this gem on Twitter.. I don't get it, but I love it.
CR7NmwuVEAA0mGj

teiresias

Guys, I have a confession to make:

I'm dating a Republican. Not just a Republican. He worked at the RNC and the Romney campaign.

I dated a Republican for three years. By time time we broke up he was no longer a Republican. You have a duty. Well, the fact that he finally graduated college and realized the current employer-based only healthcare system was crap because he suddenly had to factor in health insurance in life decisions helped with that change too.

MA Primary

Clinton 59
Sanders 24

This will be the disparity between the two for the foreseeable future. Bernie fucked up, big time.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt--based on his experience and debate performances in congress--that he'd strategically dismantle Hillary's arguments in the first dem debate by calling out her noncommittal answers and directly attacking the policies with which they're not in complete alignment, but he squandered that opportunity and I'm not sure he can recover from that.

Also, it's a little concerning to me that he's being so passive with the other Democratic candidates. This is not the time for kumbayah, this is the time to show the nation why they should pick you and NOT the other candidates. He has no problem criticizing the practices and ideals of other parties or affiliates, but apparently Democratic candidates are 'off-limits'. He needs to wake the fuck up and realize that he's running for President of the fucking United States of America.

I see a lot of Bernie supporters complaining about the media skewing the perception of the debate, but debates are all about skewing perception. The audience doesn't care if you're actually right, you just need to sound like you're right. You also need to have confidence and show that you're in control. Hillary knows this and played her cards brilliantly. For some reason, Bernie thinks he's playing a gentleman's game.

I will vote for him in the primaries but he needs to understand that he's going to have to polish up for these debates. I assume he thinks that he has nothing to worry about and he can just wing it by being honest and transparent, but he needs to study his opponent and try to take her down. It needs to get ugly. It's the only way he can win. However, knowing what I know about Bernie, he's just gonna 'keep it real' and focus on his policies, and hope that America likes that. Bernie is in over his fucking head and the sad thing is that he doesn't even realize it.

Whoa brainchild is back
Ayy bruh

Sup, Retro.

Yeah, that ban taught me a valuable lesson. I was a bit hasty in my responses (out of frustration) and realize that it was a bit out of line (according to neogaf posting etiquette). I'll definitely be a bit more careful with my responses going forward.

This will be the disparity between the two for the foreseeable future. Bernie fucked up, big time.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt--based on his experience and debate performances in congress--that he'd strategically dismantle Hillary's arguments in the first dem debate by calling out her noncommittal answers and directly attacking the policies with which they're not in complete alignment, but he squandered that opportunity and I'm not sure he can recover from that.

Also, it's a little concerning to me that he's being so passive with the other Democratic candidates. This is not the time for kumbayah, this is the time to show the nation why they should pick you and NOT the other candidates. He has no problem criticizing the practices and ideals of other parties or affiliates, but apparently Democratic candidates are 'off-limits'. He needs to wake the fuck up and realize that he's running for President of the fucking United States of America.

I see a lot of Bernie supporters complaining about the media skewing the perception of the debate, but debates are all about skewing perception. The audience doesn't care if you're actually right, you just need to sound like you're right. You also need to have confidence and show that you're in control. Hillary knows this and played her cards brilliantly. For some reason, Bernie thinks he's playing a gentleman's game.

I will vote for him in the primaries but he needs to understand that he's going to have to polish up for these debates. I assume he thinks that he has nothing to worry about and he can just wing it by being honest and transparent, but he needs to study his opponent and try to take her down. It needs to get ugly. It's the only way he can win. However, knowing what I know about Bernie, he's just gonna 'keep it real' and focus on his policies, and hope that America likes that. Bernie is in over his fucking head and the sad thing is that he doesn't even realize it.

all this assumes that bernie sanders is making a legitimate run at being president, and not just using the race as a convenient way to give his personal views and positions a platform with a lot of eyeballs.

given that he was vocal about not bothering to prepare for the debate and isn't planning on setting up a PAC (necessary in this age whether you agree with them ideologically or not) I'd say that scenario isn't all that unlikely.

all this assumes that bernie sanders is making a legitimate run at being president, and not just using the race as a convenient way to give his personal views and positions a platform with a lot of eyeballs.

given that he was vocal about not bothering to prepare for the debate and isn't planning on setting up a PAC (necessary in this age whether you agree with them ideologically or not) I'd say that scenario isn't all that unlikely.

I'm starting to believe this as well. There's no way he's actually that dense and naïve. I suppose I don't have a problem with it, but if you're gonna half-ass it, ultimately, you're wasting everybody's time.

Yes him and chaffe have both dropped out.

Lincoln 'scandal-less' Chafee is, unfortunately, still in the running.
Unless you know something that we don't? /s

Honestly, I thought it would make more sense for Chafee to drop out of the race before Webb. At the very least, Webb had the blue dogs. Who does Chafee have? His votes in the polls may as well be statistical noise.

I'd love a 'Real Housewives of Politics' starring the wives of the GOP. What's funny is that the candidates would be the real stars, but at least we'd be able to go all-in on the drama, which would be infinitely entertaining.

I guess we'll have to settle for the Republican debates, which isn't exactly the worst compromise.

Lincoln 'scandal-less' Chafee is, unfortunately, still in the running.
Unless you know something that we don't? /s

Honestly, I thought it would make more sense for Chafee to drop out of the race before Webb. At the very least, Webb had the blue dogs. Who does Chafee have? His votes in the polls may as well be statistical noise.
I must've misread something. I remember a thread being made here that he only has had 10 people donate to his campaign and I thought he was dropping out but I guess not yet.

Konka

Banned
with Webb out and Biden not running there's no reason not to have him there

ten major donors. theres an indeterminate amount of donors under the $200 that don't have to declare.

Him not being a real candidate is probably a good reason not to have him there.

Saw a couple clips of the Benghazi hearing. Lots of insinuations and hand wringing over semantics from republicans on the committee. Jeez. Hillary looks pretty confident.

Makai

No surprise at all at this point. Carson is the exact type of person to appeal to Iowa republicans.
Future debate:

"Is America ready for a vegetarian president?"

"Sometimes I think about grabbing an all-American burger, but I just can't pull myself away from delicious Iowan corn."

User 406

Banned
I don't have the patience to sit through the Benghazi witch hunt hearing, but I surely do hope there's a highlight reel at the end.

Also:
CR7w_LEWcAAXNXB.jpg

I know a lot of Democrats who don't like Hillary. I kind of feel like she gets by far the most hate from her own 'side' of anyone I can think of at the moment.

Donald Trump is the most liked and hated Republican in the GOP race.

Clinton like Obama are still very popular among the Democratic base even though they aren't that well liked with voters nationwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom