• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

User 406

Banned
That's what I took away from all of this. She handled the day with so much poise and confidence, and while I'd been on board before today, in a weird way, I think today is the beginning of me being properly excited for her presidency.

I was going to vote Bernie in the primary and Hillary in the general, but I think she's earned my primary vote too. Today was a stark reminder of just how much vile hatred and sexism she's had to face for decades, and she refuses to lose to it.

It's time.

Konka

Banned
I'm all on on Hillary this time around, but election season is making me nostalgic for some 2008 hopeium... :(

I was still in college then :(

barack_obama_8.jpg

gO3xeHE.png

rolling_stone_obama.jpg

110517_obama_hyde_park_2008_ap_605.jpg

"Nonplussed" is one of those words that sounds like the complete opposite of its actual definition. It means you're confused and don't know how to react, though it's literally misused so much by Americans that the incorrect meaning of blasé and unaffected is gaining acceptance.

Sorry, just one of those pet-peeve words.

That's the nature of language for you. Evolution is a bitch!

Bowdz

I was going to vote Bernie in the primary and Hillary in the general, but I think she's earned my primary vote too. Today was a stark reminder of just how much vile hatred and sexism she's had to face for decades, and she refuses to lose to it.

It's time.

I think people tend to forget just how much shit she has endured. Lest anyone forget, this was her second Benghazi hearing in 3 years. Based off what we have seen from Jeb! (aughugh), Rubio, Trump, or any of the GOP candidates, I can safely say that none of them could have survived a fraction of what Hilldawg has (hell, I doubt any of them could make it through today's hearing without saying something stupid). She has dealt with constant sexism for more than 20 years of public service, a constantly hostile GOP (which no other person beyond Obama himself has had to deal with to this extent), and constant media scrutiny (the extent would probably make your average celebrity lose their mind). Through all of this, she has managed to become one of the hardest working, wonkish, strong willed leaders I have ever seen in this country.

Like her personally or not, agree with her or not, it is hard to deny that Hillary is made of a steel reserved for true leaders.

User 406

Banned
God damn CNN is just SHOWERING Clinton with praise right now.

She deserves it. Making speeches, kissing babies, blah blah, whatever. She just went through an 11 hour ordeal facing a hostile mob of gibbering lunatics, and handled it all with dignity and certitude. And her presidency will be eight years of that. Only with more bathroom breaks. She's got what it takes.

Wall

The Republicans attack a Clinton and come out looking like assholes. Some things never change. I'm still staunchly for Sanders for many reasons, but Hillary certainly gave a fine performance today. She certainly came out stronger than when she went in.

Hopefully she will battle the Republicans with equal skill and vigor if she wins the Presidency.

But I think the betting markets giving up on Jeb (he's gone from 38% to 23% in one month) is another sign that people realize that he's got nothing going for him and he's not going to win this nomination. And that's probably the backbreaker for Jeb. He's only been promoted as a candidate because people think he's going to win the nomination. If people don't think he's going to win, he has nothing interesting or intelligent to say on any issue facing America and has no charisma and thus will get no coverage.

Is someone who has a reputable voice going to call out Quinn at some point or what? Last month they had Trump +6 in Iowa now it's Carson +8

Time after time they keep showing these massive swings in short time periods. It's pissing me off.

Touchdown

Banned
I need Trump to win Iowa, that will just keep the show going for a little longer. IF Carson does win Iowa, I can see Trump dropping out quickly. Don't think he has it in him to go more than one state if he's not number one.

Drakeon

Carson wants to abolish the Medicare and Medicaid systems? That doesn't sound like a vote-winner with older Republicans if it actually comes under scrutiny.
This is an amazingly terrible idea. I really hope he digs in and defends this, although no one is really attacking Carson, not sure who would bring it up even.

Hmm, that Tenn State shooting thread reminded me that the new media was pretty much done with the Oregon shooting by the beginning of this week.

The gun discussion after that shooting lasted two weeks instead of one like most, but I think that was just because of Ben Carson saying a bunch of horrible shit.

I'm all on on Hillary this time around, but election season is making me nostalgic for some 2008 hopeium... :(

I was still in college then :(
I was in highschool, and I was a republican back then. Was pissed McCain lost. I'm so upset I didn't get caught up in this so I could get some of those nostalgia waves here

Atleast I wised up over the next four years and voted for him the first time I was old enough to vote lol

Definitely. She has the resiliency of a fortress covered in mithril.

Was Mithril just a super strong metal or did it have magical properties? Like when Frodo got stabbed in Fellowship by that gigantic troll it seemed like he should have severe internal organ damage regardless of whether the giant pitchfork actually punctured the chain-mail given how far 'inside him' it apparently went.

Why everytime she seems to be facing an obstacle, it ends up working for her advantage? Ugh.

I am terrified she will go to the generals against Trump. I´ll say it again, she doesnt have what it takes to defeat a populist candidate like him. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Why everytime she seems to be facing an obstacle, it ends up working for her advantage? Ugh.

I am terrified she will go to the generals against Trump. I´ll say it again, she doesnt have what it takes to defeat a populist candidate like him. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Hillary would devour Trump's soul in a general election. His idea of populist politics is about as narrow as Andrew Jackson's... Which is a bad idea seeing as how black people, Latinos and women can vote now.

Was Mithril just a super strong metal or did it have magical properties? Like when Frodo got stabbed in Fellowship by that gigantic troll it seemed like he should have severe internal organ damage regardless of whether the giant pitchfork actually punctured the chain-mail given how far 'in' it apparently went.

Definitely magical. It's an incredibly malleable metal, yet its wearer can withstand punctures that have a blunt force several orders of magnitude greater than what the human body would normally be able to absorb. There really is no other 'plausible' explanation.

benjipwns

Banned
Do they allow you to listen to Katy Perry in federal prison?
Hillary Clinton was dealing with some pretty heavy issues Thursday at the Benghazi hearings, but when she took a break she was in Katy Perry mode.

During the break you can hear Hillary ask a guy named Dave if he'll be coming to the Katy Perry concert this weekend. It's unclear if she knew her voice would be picked up on an ABC News microphone.

Hillary's throwing a campaign event in Iowa Saturday where Katy will perform.

Dave hopes to go.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So Paul Ryan will run to be speaker even thought the HFC decided not to allow a rule change.

So Paul Ryan lost his first power struggle before becoming speaker?

lol.

These are house rules and not republican conference rules, right? I can see democrats giving him votes for those rule changes as a gesture of goodwill. It's not like they ever plan to use those rules.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Carson wants to abolish the Medicare and Medicaid systems? That doesn't sound like a vote-winner with older Republicans if it actually comes under scrutiny.

Sure it is. Just grandfather everyone over the age of 55 into the program, and the old people will get to cut the evil government down to size while not having to feel any of the pain those cuts actually cause.

pigeon

Banned

Trump is a xenophobic populist. I don't think he could win a general election against anybody. America's pretty racist, but it's not THAT racist.

Trump is a xenophobic populist. I don't think he could win a general election against anybody. America's pretty racist, but it's not THAT racist.

Trump vs a dark skinned bearded muslim.

Or, if you wanna be REALLY depressed, Trump vs a sikh male.

popcorn.gif

Although Nikki Haley might beat him. Wouldnt count since she converted, tho.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

My favorite part of his plan is that he'll simply just replace it by giving each senior $2000 a year in federal money in an HSA.

$2000 is like a month's worth of medicine for some seniors.

Cheebo

Banned
Hillary Clinton Got The Biggest Post-Debate Polling Bounce

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/hillary-clinton-got-the-biggest-post-debate-polling-bounce/

All told, Clinton has averaged 59 percent to Sanders’s 27 percent in national polls without Biden since the debate. In an average of all polls without Biden in the month before the debate, Clinton was at 53 percent to Sanders’s 29 percent.

Clinton has also gotten a boost in New Hampshire, home to the first primary. New Hampshire has been a weak spot for Clinton. She hadn’t led in a single New Hampshire poll taken in August or September. In fact, Sanders was up by an average of 43 percent to 35 percent in the month before the debate.3 In five New Hampshire polls taken since the Oct. 13 debate, Clinton has led in three to Sanders’s two. On average, they’re essentially tied: Sanders is at 40.6 percent to Clinton’s 40.2 percent.

If Sanders falls behind in New Hampshire, it will be very bad news for his campaign. Not only is New Hampshire right next door to Sanders’s home state, Vermont, it’s also filled with his base voters: white liberals. If Clinton wins New Hampshire, it’s probably a sign that Sanders won’t be competitive in most states outside of Vermont.

CHANGE IN CANDIDATE SUPPORT, PRE- TO POST-DEBATE
POLLSTER CLINTON SANDERS
ABC/Washington Post +11 -4
CNN/ORC -1 +5
Emerson +15 -9
Monmouth +4 -5
Morning Consult +2 +2
NBC/WSJ +5 -5
Average +6.0 -2.7

A nearly 9% swing towards Hillary since the debate. This thing is over and done.

Maledict

Jesus Christ, that "analysis".

If Clinton wins New Hampshire, it’s probably a sign that Sanders won’t be competitive in most states outside of Vermont

If there was ever a time to bring back the Oh Rly? owls, now is it.

PROBABLY a sign he won't be competitive? PROBABLY?

Diablos

So there are 5 debates left, right?

It's just gonna be Hillary, Bernie and O'Malley. One of them will probably drop out soon. Holy shit. What happens if we get to the final debate and Hillary has no one to debate, lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So there are 5 debates left, right?

It's just gonna be Hillary, Bernie and O'Malley. One of them will probably drop out soon. Holy shit. What happens if we get to the final debate and Hillary has no one to debate, lol.

And now the number of debates makes perfect sense.

I wonder how long O'Malley can last. He had a cash burn rate of 140% of last quarter's fundraising, and currently only has $800K cash in bank. 63% of the donors he has managed to tap have maxed out their potential contribution. I can't see that fundraising position improving given the tailwinds on Clinton's campaign right now.

New Quinniapac IA Dem poll:
Clinton - 51
Sanders - 40
O'Malley - 4
The fifth post-debate poll to show it's flipped back to her.

Debate seems to have been a campaign turning point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom