• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernie's taking the Obama fall '07 "principle not poll numbers" strategy and taking on Hillary's record more aggressively tonight at the JJ:

https://berniesanders.com/Jefferson-Jackson-prepared-remarks/

And I don’t have a super PAC either. Telling the big banks to cut it out is not going to work unless we cut it out.
And let me be clear about the current trade deal that we are debating in Congress, the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It is not now, nor has it ever been, the gold standard of trade agreements. I did not support it yesterday. I do not support it today.
In 1996, I faced another fork in the road – another very difficult political decision. It was called the Defense of Marriage Act – brought forth by a Republican-led Congress.Today, some are trying to rewrite history by saying they voted for one anti-gay law to stop something worse. Let us be clear. That’s just not true.
I promise you tonight as your president I will govern based on principle not poll numbers.
Might mute some of his supporters disappointment he seemed too soft on her in the first debate. I don't know how much traction he'll get from running on Clinton's DOMA remarks on Maddow though.

I get the primary polls, but this is a general election poll. Why are Democrats or independents picking Carson over Hillary, and by a large margin? She's beating Trump at least.

Carson isn't really well known at this point. It's basically Hillary Clinton vs. "Generic Republican."

As specific positions and policies of Carson become more well known that number will drop like a rock, as it always does.

ivysaur12

Banned
Jefferson Parrish still only has 2 precincts reporting. Would bet on Vitter but this is embarrassing.

EDIT: There's Jefferson. Big for Vitter. Up by 10,000 over the other GOP guy.

Still no Orleans.

So this is the gubernatorial election, right

#knowsnothingaboutLApolitics
Yes but the top two vote getters will go to a head to head election.

Normally there's no reason to be optimistic but Vitter's poll numbers are complete shit. Just have to hope Edwards can maintain the crossover appeal he's enjoying right now.

My only rebuttal is that the competing Delegate/Trustee models of representation doesn't have anything to do with the argument that there should be threshold standards before someone can earn the right to vote. We could have two countries where each model is enshrined in law, but that doesn't change the underlying calculus being done by voters: Who will best represent my interests vs Who will best represent the interests of the country? That the questions are formatted differently doesn't mean voters aren't still performing the same action, i.e., expressing their personal preference for a particular representative out of many choices. Nothing about those models leads to or demands the conclusion that voters should have a minimum level of education or information before voting; it's about how representatives should behave, not voters.

Also I wasn't being forthright regarding my full opinions on technocracy. As I alluded to in an earlier post, I do think there is a legitimate debate to be had regarding it and democracy, a nuance which was clouded by my overly acerbic and castigating language (which unfairly and dishonestly put arguments and implications onto Brainchild that he clearly wasn't arguing for). The idealized form of each is appealing for different reasons, but in practice they look quite different on the ground (China vs US). I think you inherently lose standards of human dignity and equality with technocracy which is why I don't like it, but I also can't deny that it is probably more effective at addressing long-term macro-level problems/issues. The bittersweet nature of democracy is that we all succeed or fail together.

First, let me be clear in stating that 'informed voter' simply means that the voter has been informed about the issues that the candidates claim to address and that voters have also been informed about which candidates support or oppose said issues. That's it. The mandatory classes just ensure that they've been given that information.

I think that kind of information is necessary for a voter to have if we view representation under the delegate concept because the delegate representatives can't follow the preferences of their constituents if their constituents inadvertently elect representatives that don't follow their preferences.

In other words, the voter needs to know how to vote in order for the delegate representative to be able to follow their preferences, otherwise the voter may make it impossible for any delegate representative to follow their preference. In the case of some uninformed voters (the disadvantaged), it is possible that they may be unable to determine how to vote for a delegate representative who follows their preferences due to no fault of their own, and attending a voting class will allow them to make an informed decision in the election process.

In essence, if there are citizens of whom no delegate representative is able to represent, despite the citizens already voting, then the delegate representatives are unable to do their job. The representatives' ability to fulfill their duties is very much beholden to the competency of the voters, and I think this would be less of an issue if we made it mandatory to inform all voters of the political issues regarding their representatives.

Also, don't forget, I did say that the mandatory classes could be left to a vote.

Bernie's taking the Obama fall '07 "principle not poll numbers" strategy and taking on Hillary's record more aggressively tonight at the JJ:

https://berniesanders.com/Jefferson-Jackson-prepared-remarks/

Might mute some of his supporters disappointment he seemed too soft on her in the first debate. I don't know how much traction he'll get from running on Clinton's DOMA remarks on Maddow though.

Too late, Bernie. You should've handled that shit at the debate.

NeoXChaos

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 4m4 minutes ago
Interesting piece of Vitter story - if he ultimately doesn't become gov does he run for Senate re-elex?

Kyle Kondik Retweeted
Kevin Robillard ‏@PoliticoKevin 1m1 minute ago
Kevin Robillard Retweeted Kyle Kondik
He's cleaned out his Senate account -- has just $28K on hand -- and has very few friends on the Hill.

interesting

Diablos

Yes but the top two vote getters will go to a head to head election.

Normally there's no reason to be optimistic but Vitter's poll numbers are complete shit. Just have to hope Edwards can maintain the crossover appeal he's enjoying right now.
So when is the head to head election going down?

NeoXChaos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_gubernatorial_election,_2003

The map tonight fits with this map.

CSISXIFWsAAAnPr.jpg

NeoXChaos

More tweets

Geoffrey Skelley-ton ‏@geoffreyvs 8s9 seconds ago Charlottesville, VA
Hard to see a D winning #LAGov, but Vitter is damaged enough that it might be possible. Among R voters: 35.9% anti-Vitter, 23.4% Vitter.

Far right Swedes seem like they deserve to be dick-punched even more than Trump fans. Holy shit, those guys are fucking transparent as shit. "Muzzims coming to rape your women! Also, women shouldn't have rights!"

Crocodile

Never in my life did I imagine a neurosurgeon could be so anti-science and disconnected from reality as Ben Carson's baffling quotable moments have revealed him to be.

I knew a bunch of basically evangelicals in high school who ended up in med school.

It's really not that uncommon.

I mean you don't actually need to believe in or even understand the scientific method to rote learn how body parts work together and how to cut them apart.

As someone who teaches in a med school, I would be crushed if any of my students turned out to be the next Ben Carson (putting aside his actual and very real accomplishments at the surgical table). I make a rather concerted effort to provide evolutionary context and a larger biological/anthropological, i.e. not just human and not just the present when I am talking specifically about humans, context when I'm lecturing. Our recent conversations and dissections concerning joints and the spinal column have been ripe opportunities to do so. A strong understanding of evolution has bee a huge boon to all fields of medicine. It confounds me that they are practicing doctors who think otherwise.

*goes back to lurking*

NeoXChaos

Geoffrey Skelley-ton ‏@geoffreyvs 5m5 minutes ago Charlottesville, VA
The 3 R candidates have 58.3% to the 3 D candidates' 40.5%. Even facing Vitter, Edwards will have quite a mountain to climb. #LAGov

As much as Dardenne and Angelle hate Vitter, no way they can endorse Edwards if they want any future in GOP politics #LAGOV

more tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom