• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
In 1994, the notion of Trump, not yet a reality TV-strengthened celebrity, as the most important, most powerful person in the world would have been dismissed as a publicity stunt.
I'm not so sure about this. Ross Perot had just run for President.

Trump had almost ran for the Republican nomination himself in 1988. But then he had his brain transplanted into the body of Bill the Cat.

NeoXChaos

Steve Kornacki ‏@SteveKornacki 4m4 minutes ago
New NBC online poll, mostly conducted post-debate:
Trump 26
Carson 26
Cruz 10
Rubio 9
Bush 5
Fiorina 4
Huck/Kasich/Paul/Christie 2

benjipwns

Banned

On June 20, Clinton’s best friend visited her in the White House. They discussed over lunch the best way to collect her memories of her time as first lady—especially about her efforts on health care.

“What for?” asked the friend, Diane Blair, whose notes and papers are now archived in the library at the University of Arkansas.

“Revenge,” Clinton said.

Steve Kornacki ‏@SteveKornacki 4m4 minutes ago
New NBC online poll, mostly conducted post-debate:
Trump 26
Carson 26
Cruz 10
Rubio 9
Bush 5
Fiorina 4
Huck/Kasich/Paul/Christie 2

It'll really be interesting to see if all this good press Rubio has gotten translates into a meaningful bump. Here it clearly didn't.

benjipwns

Banned
The next year, Jeb told Lucy Morgan, a reporter for the St. Petersburg Times, about how, in childhood, he had once caught his older brother finger-painting with something other than his fingers. Morgan saw both of them at the Republican National Convention, in San Diego, and asked the brother if he had a comeback—maybe a similarly embarrassing anecdote.

“I’d better not,” the older brother said. “I’m elected, and he’s not.”

Two years later, at the Republican Governors Association meeting in New Orleans, the younger brother was a governor, too, finally, and the older brother was being talked about as the potential next president.

“Look,” said George W. Bush, “I didn’t grow up wanting to be president of the United States.”

“I did,” said Jeb Bush. The more serious one, the more focused one, the planner. The harder worker.

Two years after that, after George W. Bush had been elected president, two weeks before another inauguration, this one in Washington, Jeb Bush sat with reporters in Tallahassee. “I have never been interested in being president,” he lied.
ICEBURN

benjipwns

Banned
Should note that it's another SurveyMonkey poll.
The NBC News Online Poll was conducted online by SurveyMonkey from October 27-29, 2015 among a national sample of 8,706 adults aged 18 and over. Respondents for this non-probability survey were selected from the nearly three million people who take surveys on the SurveyMonkey platform each day.
capturesurveymonkey_445a39c5d3bf11d889fee2b105a013b2.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg

lolol

benjipwns

Banned
I'm not sure why, he says what he generally wants to do but he never really says how he will.
He's going to make great deals, okay? Not the terrible deals we're used to, like this administration got a terrible deal with Iran, maybe the worst of all time, okay, and the GOP Congress has just signed away a terrible deal with Obama, probably the worst deal ever made, okay? And the Kurds, they have just gotten a, they have been treated just terribly by us and gotten a horrible deal.

They wanted to have a three and a half hour debate, okay? And I negotiated a new deal and bam within minutes we've got a good deal, not a horrible just disasterous one like this administration made with Iran, but a great deal, and now we can all get out of here.

Make America Great Again.

He never alluded to islam being a race, but that the hate agaisnt islamic people comes from racism, because surprise,Islam even while being an Abrahamic religion, is foreign to white people . This isnt hard to understand. I got so mad at your obtuseness that I replied 6 pages later, omg.

He also never clarified that the racism was based on merely on the perception of race. He simply talked about racism as if it's the only relevant issue concerning Islamophobia. That comes across as profoundly ignorant. There may be some overlap with racism and Islamophobia, but it isn't the only reason that people hate Muslims, yet that's how he presented it. It's misguided and inaccurate.

Bigotry would have been a better issue to harp on regarding Islamophobia, as it accounts for the ideals of most of the people who hate Muslims, whether they're racist, view Muslims as terrorists because of extremists, or are simply intolerant to other religions/beliefs that differ from their own.

Also, if people are racist against Muslims, you don't reinforce their beliefs be perpetuating their misconceptions. Correct them and educate them. Simply telling them that they're racist only reaffirms that Islam is a race in their minds. Considering the ignorance regarding this issue, I think Bernie's comments were very imprudent and he should have worded his statements differently.

What's Cruz going to do next debate when he can't just repeat "liberal media" instead of answering questions?

pretty sure he can simply keep doing it as long as he doesn't get called out on it- which he won't, since the next venue probably doesn't want to be the next NBC.

At least 14% of Republicans want a return to the Gold Standard and a flat tax?

Carson being rated so highly for the debate is just odd. "You ripped off cancer patients and parents of autistic children." "No, I didn't." "You're literally on their webpage" "LIBURL MEDIA"

benjipwns

Banned
What's Cruz going to do next debate when he can't just repeat "liberal media" instead of answering questions?
I think Cruz will be fine, it seemed he was actually really irritated with the questions that other people were getting and that was just his first chance to speak. He later answered arguably tougher questions. (Whether those answers were good or not I won't comment.)

It's the other candidates who realized how big of bailout that could be and started using it over and over. Rubio went to the well too many times I thought.

Then again, Christie's done it in every debate to date.

Carson being rated so highly for the debate is just odd. "You ripped off cancer patients and parents of autistic children." "No, I didn't." "You're literally on their webpage" "LIBURL MEDIA"
Hey buddy, be fair, his first answer to that last part was "I didn't give them permission!" Then the crowd booed down the moderator.

benjipwns

Banned
You beat me to the punch, although a lot of the people that voted for Ron Paul probably would not have voted in the Republican primary under different circumstances.
I agree, but he did well enough in the early primaries/caucuses to an extent that he had to have a decent chunk of regular GOP voters going for him. Those overall popular vote totals are going to be suppressed due to Romney having a bunch of uncontested ones at the end.

uwA3YPA.png
URTszJm.png
snO30fZ.png

benjipwns

Banned
lol Santorum won the 2012 Louisiana primary:
Santorum 49% - Romney 27% - Gingrich 16% - Paul 6%

But less than half the delegates were awarded through it so the state totals were:
Paul 17 - Santorum 13 - Romney 5 - Uncommitted 3 - Gingrich 0

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
pretty sure he can simply keep doing it as long as he doesn't get called out on it- which he won't, since the next venue probably doesn't want to be the next NBC.

The next venue is Fox News Business. It's going to be hard to call them liberals, but in an age where Paul Ryan is a liberal, I guess anything is possible.

noshten

I agree, but he did well enough in the early primaries/caucuses to an extent that he had to have a decent chunk of regular GOP voters going for him. Those overall popular vote totals are going to be suppressed due to Romney having a bunch of uncontested ones at the end.

"Libertarians" who are pragmatic?

benjipwns

Banned
I don't think libertarians are more than 10% of the GOP, but both Paul's have gotten their numbers higher by picking off anti-interventionists, anti-prohibition, anti-spying, etc. people here and there even if those people are otherwise not libertarians. And even if some would agree with Santorum or Huckabee or Graham about how dangerous libertarians are to the GOP and the country and the planet.

I think that's why Ron did better in the four-way race against an arguably tougher top-name opponent than he did in 2008, and why Rand was polling way better back when there were like six names in the polls, Jeb/Rubio/Christie/Cruz/Perry mostly.

Trump/Carson taking that anti-Iraq stance against "He Kept Us Safe" probably really undercut some of Rand's less solid support.

The next venue is Fox News Business. It's going to be hard to call them liberals, but in an age where Paul Ryan is a liberal, I guess anything is possible.
FOX News is pro-amnesty, pro-establishment, anti-shutdown, pro-Washington, pro-Jeb!, etc. They're basically center-left. It's amazing that they let Hannity truth-tell on there.

noshten

I don't think libertarians are more than 10% of the GOP, but both Paul's have gotten their numbers higher by picking off anti-interventionists, anti-prohibition, anti-spying, etc. people here and there even if those people are otherwise not libertarians. And even if some would agree with Santorum or Huckabee or Graham about how dangerous libertarians are to the GOP and the country and the planet.

I think that's why Ron did better in the four-way race against an arguably tougher top-name opponent than he did in 2008, and why Rand was polling way better back when there were like six names in the polls, Jeb/Rubio/Christie/Cruz/Perry mostly.

Trump/Carson taking that anti-Iraq stance against "He Kept Us Safe" probably really undercut some of Rand's less solid support.

FOX News is pro-amnesty, pro-establishment, anti-shutdown, pro-Washington, pro-Jeb!, etc. They're basically center-left. It's amazing that they let Hannity truth-tell on there.

I don't think many such people are left voting in GOP for such reasons, Bush changed that

Bush the Peace Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom