• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
The minute Trump basically let his campaign destroy his connections with NBC, I knew he was legitimately in the race for reals. He's a business man. He knows what to tie his name to, and he knows when to get off a sinking ship. He's also smart enough to surround himself with the people that can or will do the job. Should he become President (which he won't), he'd just delegate everything except for being a pompous asshole. That job, he'd keep for himself. I also think he's playing the long game with Carson and his supporters. Keep him close, because he's Trump's biggest threat. Trump can pretend to be an establishment, big money Republican, and use Carson (potentially as a VP) to keep the evangelicals in line. It's a pretty good strategy, especially if they came to a mutual agreement between the two.

Plus, Trump's the dream candidate for Hillary. There won't be any hand wringing over favorable/unfavorables. HE alienates everyone the GOP needs to win over. Plus, he continues to make them all look like fools. Plus, I don't think he's the worst Republican running. Without his shitty and hateful immigrant rhetoric, (which I find deplorable) he's not that horrible. I'd never vote for him. I think he's an asshat, but I think a Cruz Presidency would be worse. God, the thought of anyone on that stage being President makes me want to vomit...

Mike M

Nick N
Trump's ground operation isn't exactly breaking news, he was gobbling up staff from the start. It was phrased at the time as him buying an "off the shelf" campaign infrastructure.

Sure.

Where do you get the people with the professional knowledge necessary to run these regulatory agencies?

If you want the FDA to regulate pharmaceutical development, for example, it needs a collection of experts on pharmaceutical development. Where do you expect these people to come from? In general, the professional places to work on pharmaceutical development are all in the pharmaceutical industry, hence the term. And, of course, these companies are the companies who invest in education for people to learn how to do pharmaceutical development, because they want new employees.

So, I mean, how are you going to find these magical people who have learned all about making medicines while avoiding all the infrastructure designed to teach you about making medicines because that infrastructure was funded by people who want to make money making medicines?

Although it can sometimes be beneficial if, for example, a CEO of a tech company has a technological background, it is by no means essential, and same goes for the head of the FDA. Isn't managing a large organization, such as the FDA, more about leadership, with the intellect necessary to broadly grasp all the facets of the particular body?

The problem with Dr. Califf, apart from his "ultimate industry insider" label, which is a double edged sword, is that he "criticized the regulation of the pharmaceutical industry as a hindrance to medical innovation and research". So, if his nomination is approved and he then uses his position to strip away the regulation that he complained about, and that weakens the safeguards protecting consumers, we have a problem.

You may well of heard of the "revolving door" at government agencies, where people move freely between industry and agencies, and when at the agency, they grease the wheels for the industry they came from, and are subsequently well rewarded with a guaranteed position back in industry. Now, I hope to goodness, this practice is not endemic, and may be more prevalent at certain agencies, but please don't tell me it doesn't go on.

Saw this interesting confession from the NeoGAF Anonymous Confessions 2015 thread:

It's okay, you can let go now. Unless you're holding onto a tall lady, in which case hold tight.
The saddest part about this is that someone could possibly come to the conclusion that my support for bob jindal is insincere. Im disappointed in you manky
That is an amusing post though

I can't help but think that the far-right people outside of the United States are just less intelligent than our far-right people.

CSL0sTOVAAA9XHq.jpg

I mean, sure, Peggy Noonan is dumb as shit, but I don't think she is as dumb as this work from the Canadian far-right media.

An old lady came to my door once, she was going around making sure all the registered republicans in the neighborhood knew when it was time to vote. I could see the look of horror in her eyes as i opened the door and cast my slovenly visage upon her

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My brain was baffled while talking to one of my only conservative friends last night. He didn't watch the debate, so couldn't comment on specifics, but he refused to buy the notion that CNBC is generally "right-leaning". Somehow in his head, and seemingly with no influence from the debate itself, it's laughably absurd to think CNBC leans to the right. I can't even begin to figure out how you come to that conclusion.

They're more wall street cronys than republican cronys, but I guess that's basically the same thing.

I'll never forget them as the people that tried to blame the 2008 crash on Obama because his likely election was causing everyone to lose faith in the markets.

ivysaur12

Banned
They're more wall street cronys than republican cronys, but I guess that's basically the same thing.

I'll never forget them as the people that tried to blame the 2008 crash on Obama because his likely election was causing everyone to lose faith in the markets.

I need a video of this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why wouldn't this have come out long ago if true?

He may not have had a high enough profile to make it worth it. No reason to drop an atom bomb on a dude if you don't have to. Why risk retaliation if you don't have to?

If it is true I fully expect Trump to find it and drop it on him at some point, and if not him you know Hillary has it sitting in a can somewhere waiting for airtime.

How important is door-knocking, really?

I know you're joking, but this reminded me of something that happened in 2008. I was riding along with a woman whose job it was to take older people (or anyone really) to the polls. We had a list of people we were picking up and taking to vote, those that we couldn't talk into voting absentee.

Anyway, we pull up to this house and I help the lady get to the car. Her neighbor comes out and starts shouting at us. Asking where we're taking her, etc. We told her we were taking her to vote. She notices my Obama button thing, and her eyes get great big. I think she thinks we were taking her to some early form of an Obamacare Death Panel before that was a thing. Anyway, she just gets real quiet and real sad. She said she had wanted to vote, but she never requested an absentee ballot and no one would take her to vote. So, we offered. She said she'd go, but wanted us to know she wasn't going to vote for the : insert slightly racial description of President Obama here : and was that okay? We told her ya, that was fine, and took her.

Anyway, the two women get done voting, and this woman comes out in the loudest voice I've ever heard "Ya'll so nice, I went ahead and voted for that : insert far worse racial description of President Obama here : since ya'll were nice enough to drive me."

ivysaur12

Banned
He may not have had a high enough profile to make it worth it. No reason to drop an atom bomb on a dude if you don't have to. Why risk retaliation if you don't have to?

If it is true I fully expect Trump to find it and drop it on him at some point, and if not him you know Hillary has it sitting in a can somewhere waiting for airtime.

I don't think it's true, because the idea of a ~secret love child~ seem way too scandalous to actually be something real. Who knows, though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Romney campaign denies career-ender uncovered in vetting process.

They could possibly be telling the truth, but remember this: if they admitted there was something it would send every political and investigative reporter off to the races and I guarantee whatever it is would come out before Iowa, they'd basically be sinking a viable candidate for no good reason.

User 406

Banned
I'm really not the predictor type, but I'm expecting that the "Rubio was passed over for VP" thing will turn out to be exactly that. Romney just decided that he didn't make the cut, and there's no hidden scandal or any of that kind of stuff. Besides, some weak-ass bullshit like, "Mitt Romney refused to select you as Vice President, why should the American people select you as President?" sounds like pitch-perfect Jeb. !.

I doubt there's some huge skeleton in Rubio's closet that prevented him from being selected as Romney's VP.

There's more than enough widely known stuff about Rubio that could be used as justification for passing on him.

That said, I could definitely see Jeb!'s campaign finding out some fun stuff about Rubio. I hope they do.

I'm really not the predictor type, but I'm expecting that the "Rubio was passed over for VP" thing will turn out to be exactly that. Romney just decided that he didn't make the cut, and there's no hidden scandal or any of that kind of stuff. Besides, some weak-ass bullshit like, "Mitt Romney refused to select you as Vice President, why should the American people select you as President?" sounds like pitch-perfect Jeb. !.

In all likelihood the decision was strategic. Paul Ryan was a good VP pick at the time because he was the new fresh face of the Republican party, and was quite popular in Wisconsin. Wisconsin was obviously one of the states the Romney Campaign targeted. They were hoping a new Conservative like Paul Ryan could deliver them Wisconsin and Ohio, as well as maybe Minnesota, Iowa, and or Michigan--basically they hoped he was local enough to get the Midwest for the Republicans. If Romney\Ryan can get those 5 states, Romney wins. Compare that to Rubio, he offers at best Florida, which mean Romney loses by ~70 EV's instead of 126. He's also a risk because Hispanics voted for Obama over McCain 2:1, so it's not really even a guarantee a guy with a year as a Senator would be able to deliver the Hispanic vote and\or Florida.

I know you're joking, but this reminded me of something that happened in 2008. I was riding along with a woman whose job it was to take older people (or anyone really) to the polls. We had a list of people we were picking up and taking to vote, those that we couldn't talk into voting absentee.

Anyway, we pull up to this house and I help the lady get to the car. Her neighbor comes out and starts shouting at us. Asking where we're taking her, etc. We told her we were taking her to vote. She notices my Obama button thing, and her eyes get great big. I think she thinks we were taking her to some early form of an Obamacare Death Panel before that was a thing. Anyway, she just gets real quiet and real sad. She said she had wanted to vote, but she never requested an absentee ballot and no one would take her to vote. So, we offered. She said she'd go, but wanted us to know she wasn't going to vote for the : insert slightly racial description of President Obama here : and was that okay? We told her ya, that was fine, and took her.

Anyway, the two women get done voting, and this woman comes out in the loudest voice I've ever heard "Ya'll so nice, I went ahead and voted for that : insert far worse racial description of President Obama here : since ya'll were nice enough to drive me."
im laughing and shaking my head at this.

what were the words she said anyways?

There are no good days in the history of economics.

The Dismal Science indeed.

Disagree entirely. Mill and other economists did great work in trying to end slavery, Hayek dropped pure ether on Communism that ended up with a perfect prediction of how Communism would fail back in 1945, Friedman helped end conscription in the United States.

And most of the recent Nobel Prize winners have done very good, sensical work also. Deaton had great methods for analyzing poverty, Tirole for analyzing regulations, Shiller detailed the irrational parts of the stock market, etc.

Disagree entirely. Mill and other economists did great work in trying to end slavery, Hayek dropped pure ether on Communism that ended up with a perfect prediction of how Communism would fail back in 1945, Friedman helped end conscription in the United States.

And most of the recent Nobel Prize winners have done very good, sensical work also. Deaton had great methods for analyzing poverty, Tirole for analyzing regulations, Shiller detailed the irrational parts of the stock market, etc.

That was a joke.

kingkitty

dang the dem debate is on Nov 14th. For some reason I thought it was Friday, but that's actually a Rachel Maddow forum thing. With Chafee/Webb gone, I'll probably skip watching it.

I think Matt Yglesias has a really good analysis of why Rubio hasn't gotten blown up over immigration yet and how it could still keep him from getting the nomination here:

http://www.vox.com/2015/11/2/9656288/marco-rubio-immigration-record

Rubio has gotten off surprisingly easy in the debates.

I think a lot of the folks in the current GOP lineup are somewhat afraid to directly confront Rubio because he's a solid debater and most efforts to take him on have backfired. But the dude is seriously vulnerable and the rest of the field needs to get more aggressive about going after him.

Cruz specifically needs to start forcefully going after Rubio. He has the debating chops to do it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rubio has gotten off surprisingly easy in the debates.

I think a lot of the folks in the current GOP lineup are somewhat afraid to directly confront Rubio because he's a solid debater and most efforts to take him on have backfired. But the dude is seriously vulnerable and the rest of the field needs to get more aggressive about going after him.

Cruz specifically needs to start forcefully going after Rubio. He has the debating chops to do it.

letthemfight.gif etc etc

thefro

I don't think it's true, because the idea of a ~secret love child~ seem way too scandalous to actually be something real. Who knows, though.

Well, it happened with Edwards obviously in 2008.

I've heard from a couple really good sources that's a reason a certain popular Republican governor didn't run for President in 2012 (and it's not anyone running in 2016).

So it wouldn't be the most shocking thing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom