• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
Ehh, maybe that's true.

Hmm, we can put this in another way to suggest that a huge amount of Americans are weird. Carson is at 68% favorable, 8% unfavorable with Republican voters right now.

I think people look at those numbers faaaar too often and read into them too much, especially this early in the process. We're still a year out people...

I don't fear Carson in the least. The dude's not good at politics. You put him and Hillary on a debate stage, and she would, literally, do to him what she and Bill did to Vince Foster. He plays well with the Evangelical base of the GOP. That's all. I mean, where is it that he's going to run better than Generic-R? He's going to be competitive in Colorado? In Nevada? New Hampshire? In a foreign policy debate, he would fall flat of his face. He doesn't get to stick to GOP Approved Talking Points. He has no infrastructure to speak of. He's nothing more than Generic R right now.

Chichikov

And smart, because evangelicals and the far right will eat that up. "Take that, liberal scientists!"
But it's not even the evangelical position (insofar as such position exists), there's a debate about the historicity of the Israelite exile in Egypt, but even those who believe the bible is a literal historic telling of events date it centuries after the last pyramid were built.
The idea that the Jewish slaves built the pyramids started (I think) with Josephus Flavius, but to say that Joseph did it is even extra retarded, I mean, they would have had only seven years to buil... no wait, I've already spent too much time and effort on that stupidity.

Fuck you Ben Carson.

SUs3Ym3.gif

The funniest thing about the Carson pyramid is the Christians who disagree with him, not because it's bat shit insane, but because it's not Biblical. Genesis 41:48-49 states that Joseph kept the grain in and around the cities that grew it. IT wasn't entirely centralized.

I mean fucking really? I legit do not judge anyone who is religious, but fundamentally ignoring facts so that your religion can score some type of....points? or something is just...I don't get it.

I mean, today, I had physical therapy. The super hot PT wanted to pray with me and lay hands on me so that I would be healed from my herniated disc. I have a weakness for hot guys and I avoid confrontation, so I said yes....Now I have to find a new physical therapist because I'm not going back there.

gcubed

For me, at least, it's been the complete opposite

Within the last 8 years I went from being 100% dem to easily jumping to a fictional Republican candidate if they existed. (Mittens without a primary process or something like that)

The democrats need to fix their shit before that fictional candidate exists

RDreamer

The scale's pretty small so far since I'm only 29 years old, but it's definitely been opposite for me. I was conservative (and fucking idiotic) when I was young. Now it seems the more I actually pay attention and research and the older I get the more liberal I am.

I mean once I have a kid I could completely run out of time to pay attention to politics, but I kind of feel like that wouldn't catapult me to the other side. That'd probably just drop me at whatever affiliation I was when I stopped paying attention.

My fiance's also a 35 year old professor, so I really think there's no way in hell we'd turn conservative.

Within the last 8 years I went from being 100% dem to easily jumping to a fictional Republican candidate if they existed. (Mittens without a primary process or something like that)

Kinda in the same boat....lemme guess, you live in a deep blue state?

But I'd never vote for a Republican on a federal level: President, US senator or a congressman. Ever. State level? Ehh maybe if the unicorn Republican existed.

Wall

I can't see myself ever voting for a Republican, no matter how "moderate", as long as the Supreme Court exists and the Republicans continue to deny basic economic and scientific realities.

Edit: The last Republican I liked was 2000 era John McCain.

Makai

Yeah, I would have at least given Mitt a chance if if he ran as Massachusetts Mitt. I liked him a lot, personally. "Repeal Obamacare" killed him for me.

RDreamer

But I'd never vote for a Republican on a federal level: President, US senator or a congressman. Ever. State level? Ehh maybe if the unicorn Republican existed.

I had a time period when I first kind of converted to more liberal where I'd say this, but now the stupid shit my state representatives and governor here in Wisconsin have done in the last few years have really soured me on them at the state level too.

I wouldn't say that I've gotten more conservative, but I've gotten less idealistic. You might say it's being jaded, but it's more along the lines of being a realist. Part of that, though, I think is that a lot of my youthful idealism has transitioned into actual political reality. As a scared gay kid, I couldn't imagine a time where I could get married, especially with all the hate around the 2004 election. My position on equality then was idealistic and far left. Now, it's mostly mainstream.

I had a time period when I first kind of converted to more liberal where I'd say this, but now the stupid shit my state representatives and governor here in Wisconsin have done in the last few years have really soured me on them at the state level too.
Some of the R governors of blue states like Scott Walker and that fucker in New Hampshire are really extreme examples and will sour anyone's thinking. But then again, our overwhelmingly democratic state reps, mayors and governors have completely skullfucked our state's finances, fellated the union bosses way too much and snorted coke off state pension's ass on a daily basis. Now the average citizen joe is asked to pay the bills in the form of tax hikes.

Wall

Some of the R governors of blue states like Scott Walker and that fucker in New Hampshire are really extreme examples and will sour anyone's thinking. But then again, our overwhelmingly democratic state reps, mayors and governors have completely skullfucked our state's finances, fellated the union bosses way too much and snorted coke off state pension's ass on a daily basis. Now the average citizen joe is asked to pay the bills in the form of tax hikes.

Illinois?

dabig2

I guarantee you that if you did a poll asking anyone between 22 and 35 how they would measure their political allegiances throughout their life, you'll see a big chunk that started off conservative (raised in an environment of conservatives or "moderates" most likely) before 2002 who then tracked further and further left throughout Dubya's presidency and after 2008.

Considering we're talking about more than half of the millennials in this country, already the largest demographic in the country, then the republicans are in for a hell of a time. Greatest generation and Nixon boomers stayed relatively consistent in voting Dem throughout the years. Even supported Romney the most over all other voting groups. If a big majority of millennials stick to those lifelong trends, then Republicans will need to find another reagan or hope the world implodes with a Dem president. It's going to be constantly uphill as the years pass on and more of the conservative elderly votes die and are replaced by a more liberal youth...or nothing. It honestly doesn't really matter too much cause the other huge issue with republicans is the growing diversity of the voting electorate, which is its own topic.

Wall

Yep. Just look at this shit.

Hahahaha, first guess!

My big problem with Republican's on the state level is that it seems like none of them have met a mass transit project that they don't want to kill. They'll fund highways to nowhere no problem, but a badly needed rail line to relieve congestion? Kill it and bring back its head to the Tea Party.

That and constantly cutting state funding to schools, which forces local governments to raise property taxes, cut programs, or usually both.

gcubed

CA, but to be fair, any area where a single party is unchecked is usually in a shitty situation... CA has gotten by with waterfalls of money from tech and some actual good politicians here and there. IL... You're just fucked.

I used to live in PA and voted R in some local races because IMO the local guys don't really have a "party".

Hahahaha, first guess!

My big problem with Republican's on the state level is that it seems like none of them have met a mass transit project that they don't want to kill. They'll fund highways to nowhere no problem, but a badly needed rail line to relieve congestion? Kill it and bring back its head to the Tea Party.

That and constantly cutting state funding to schools, which forces local governments to raise property taxes, cut programs, or usually both.
As an avid listener of NPR, they did a story on chicago schools. Here's what I learned: The rate of students enrolled through High School in Chicago has consistently remained the same since the 90s. However, schools continue to pop up with the most recent one initially invested by a mega-rich businessman, but who's upkeep will require taxpayers to pitch in. This increase in schools is leading to low attendance due to the same number of kids being spread thin, bloated pensions and bad management. I mean, I'm not a "fiscal conservative" by any means but anyone can see that that's a problem. Just a small example of what's going on locally.

I agree on economy imploding, terrorist attack, etc will definitely make the race very competitive. But that would still require a massive depression in democratic voter turnout. Basically if the Obama style 08/12 GOTV effort was a massive, catastrophic failure. The blue wall will hold, even if OH, FL, NC and VA all go red.
Honestly at this point I'm counting Virginia as a part of the blue wall, even though it isn't entirely necessary. I think it'll be more reliable than Iowa soon.

Nate Silver says the blue wall doesn't exist.
I read his article. His argument was that a significant Republican victory would render the blue wall useless, which is borderline "no shit why are you getting paid to write this" territory.

Assuming a uniform swing, Romney would have needed to win the popular vote by around 1.5% in 2012 to win the electoral college. That's what the blue wall refers to. It does not mean Democrats will always win, it means they have a slight advantage in the electoral college. It's not enough for Republicans to win the major swing states, they'd also have to cut into firmer states like Colorado and Pennsylvania.

Oh Rubio, releasing credit card statements over what Trump said?

Dont let him play you like that yo

Then again the media will probably run with it hard if he didnt so i guess he had no choice

The republican primary process (and not just for president) guarantees that fictional candidate will never exist. It's not the democrats who need to fix things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
0tphzonzae67eik8ybm3ca.png

http://www.gallup.com/poll/186494/carson-best-liked-presidential-candidates.aspx?

Everyone loves Carson, because he doesn't do anything to anyone.

Although, I don't know if I understand the methodology - each rating is based on a random subsample of the total sample? And for some reason their sample has a higher proportion of Republicans and Democrats despite their own party ID stuff suggesting this wouldn't be reflective.

After everything ridiculous he has said, the favorable numbers are STILL that high.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for anyone up to it and not looking for a fight but rather a genuine opinion, could some Hillary supporters here explain why they would rather vote for Hillary than Sanders in the Democratic primary, excluding electability concerns, gun policies, her being a woman, and Sander's Independent rather than Democratic status? That is, which non-gun *policy* stances they genuinely prefer Hillary on rather than Sanders? Again, not looking for confrontation, just curious. :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Quick question for anyone up to it and not looking for a fight but rather a genuine opinion, could some Hillary supporters here explain why they would rather vote for Hillary than Sanders in the Democratic primary, excluding electability concerns, guns, her being a woman, and Sander's Independent rather than Democratic status? That is, which non-gun *policy* stances they genuinely prefer Hillary on rather than Sanders? Again, not looking for confrontation, just curious. :)

Are you really framing the question like that? Seriously?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are you really framing the question like that? Seriously?

I'm not framing it as anything? I've excluded those four issues because after thinking about it for a while, those are the ones I could think of by myself and therefore didn't need being told about. It's not because I'm discarding them as not valid or anything, but because they are the ones that I could think of after trying to examine things from the other perspective and I didn't see any value in being told about ones I could think of myself. The question is more "is there anything that isn't these four things that I've missed"?

One poll says this -- have there been any others?

I can't see black folks voting for Carson simply because he's black, too.

Just anecdotal, but multiple black people have spoken to me about Ben Carson before he ever started running for president. A lot of people look up to the guy, listen to his talks, etc. If they say to pollsters that they will vote for him it's not because he is just some black dude, it's because they have previous respect for him.

That doesn't mean he will actually get a significant chunk of the black vote though come election time. He's just a terrible candidate, and I still think people will turn in him in a general election once people actually hear his ideas. Moreover, the Clintons are very respected by the black community as well. And could you imagine Carson doing or saying anything at all to win over black voters that wouldn't alienate his base?

I'm not worried about Carson.

I'm not framing it as anything? I've excluded those four issues because after thinking about it for a while, those are the ones I could think of by myself and therefore didn't need being told about. It's not because I'm discarding them as not valid or anything, but because they are the ones that I could think of after trying to examine things from the other perspective and I didn't see any value in being told about ones I could think of myself. The question is more "is there anything that isn't these four things that I've missed"?

Bill as First Gentleman is also worth voting for.

Electability is all that matters to me in terms of Hillary v. Bernie

Cheebo

Banned
Quick question for anyone up to it and not looking for a fight but rather a genuine opinion, could some Hillary supporters here explain why they would rather vote for Hillary than Sanders in the Democratic primary, excluding electability concerns, gun policies, her being a woman, and Sander's Independent rather than Democratic status? That is, which non-gun *policy* stances they genuinely prefer Hillary on rather than Sanders? Again, not looking for confrontation, just curious. :)
Are you being serious? Excluding tons of things that makes Hillary a superior candidate why vote Hillary?

Electability is the MOST important issue in a primary.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Carson's downfall in the election if he wins the nomination will be his adamant push for a flat tax of 15%.

Proper advertising about how devastating that would be to poor and middle-class would be enough to kill his chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom