• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
You guys don't seem to get that the economy isn't doing great in a lot of districts and states that were important in 2014 (or now). The national unemployment rate isn't the determining factor of how the economy is doing. The rate is "good" and yet a majority of Americans disapprove Obama's handling of the economy and think things are getting worse. Why do you think that is?

Disconnection from reality? The people disapproval of Obama's handling of the economy has nothing to do with the economy. Wages are up, it's easier to get a job, and healthcare is cheaper and more accessible. The places where the economy is doing poorly, like Wisconsin and Kansas, are due to policies implemented by their Republican governors.

HylianTom

Banned
CO50lhjU8AEaabW.jpg

DTF? Eh?

HylianTom

Banned
Donald Trump Fan!

Ah. I have a dirty mind.

Looking at the crowd, I wonder how many of them are folks like me who'd go just for the perverse entertainment value. I'd probably buy a cartoonish piece of clothing on with an American flag on it, cheer profusely when he says something that's general election poison, laugh at his Jeb jokes, etc.

Some of the grins in that crowd, at times, just seem a bit too.. knowing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The ACA site had a bumpy start and then it was working fine. You're crazy or trolling if you think it had a meaningful effect on the 2014 elections.

Wow, I totally disagree with this. Healthcare.gov completely gave the GOP a pass on their shutdown. I really don't think I agree with this at all.

Ah. I have a dirty mind.

Looking at the crowd, I wonder how many of them are folks like me who'd go just for the perverse entertainment value. I'd probably buy a cartoonish piece of clothing on with an American flag on it, cheer profusely when he says something that's general election poison, laugh at his Jeb jokes, etc.

Some of the grins in that crowd, at times, just seem a bit too.. knowing.

MSNBC just went to a shot of some people eating a bucket of popcorn. It's freaking hilarious.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Trump is certainly elaborate with his car industry negotiation fan fiction. That was like 5 minutes of "here's what's gonna happen. I guarantee it!" assumptions and hypotheticals.

OmniOne

Could it get any more substance free?

I can't believe he's going to win the nomination with nothing but read meat bumper stickers loosely strung together seemingly at random.

Wow, I totally disagree with this. Healthcare.gov completely gave the GOP a pass on their shutdown. I really don't think I agree with this at all.

Exactly. It made the shutdown a non-story. Instead we got nonstop coverage blaming the website entirely on Obama, hand wringing over his hands off leadership style, various stories about people not being able to sign up before the deadline, etc. Remember those people that lost coverage due to a glitch or whatever? That was also nonstop on the news.

I guess in the sense that it canceled out the negative effects of the shutdown, sure. But I don't imagine any swing voters going into the voting booth in 2014 like "Well I was going to vote for the Democrat buuuut the Obamacare website didn't work at first so"

On that Trump speech, who is the blonde woman who comes out at about 39m? She is downright terrifying...

EDIT: Nevermind, she said her name, right before a rant about some bullshit. Hold on, did she just imply Obama was complicit with the genocide of Christians? What the shit...

I guess in the sense that it canceled out the negative effects of the shutdown, sure. But I don't imagine any swing voters going into the voting booth in 2014 like "Well I was going to vote for the Democrat buuuut the Obamacare website didn't work at first so"

Maybe not but it most probably depressed democrat turnout and fence-sitters.

I've seen first hand evidence of the economy improving and I'm sure so have plenty of people. How many vacant stores in shopping centers are there now compared to 2009? How many help wanted signs do you see now? How many construction projects do you see being worked on now vs then?

The proof is all around us, not just some numbers in data being released. If people don't see that then we as a society have detached ourselves from reality. Or we only care about the economy when the news is bad and ignore it when the news is good.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The proof is all around us, not just some numbers in data being released. If people don't see that then we as a society have detached ourselves from reality. Or we only care about the economy when the news is bad and ignore it when the news is good.

Or they live in an area where the economy still sucks. Like me.

Diablos

Healthcare.gov launch was terrible for Dems, no doubt. That said most people blamed the GOP for the shutdown and rightfully so.

Perhaps not consciously but all of the polls showed that voters thought Obamacare was a failure and the botched launched was a huge part of that.

Ecotic

Exactly. It made the shutdown a non-story. Instead we got nonstop coverage blaming the website entirely on Obama, hand wringing over his hands off leadership style, various stories about people not being able to sign up before the deadline, etc. Remember those people that lost coverage due to a glitch or whatever? That was also nonstop on the news.

You're right about 2014. Obama's second term started off near disastrously and Republicans had the dominant media narrative. Obamacare was getting horrible press which erased the memory of the shutdown, ISIS and ebola were all over the news, and people weren't feeling the recovery.

This is also what has me hopeful that 2016 could be a good year all around. Obama really turned his second term around and has left the Democratic nominee with a good narrative. Obamacare is a much bigger success, he made the Iran nuclear deal, opened relations with Cuba, gay marriage became legal, and the economy continues its slow recovery. I just hope he can have a few more base hits before next November.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Republicans don't wait for good things to run on, while Dems couldn't find a good thing if it created literally millions of jobs

GTF outta here with that Obamacare rollout nonsense causing losses. Dems simply don't know how to run on positives, ever. Plenty of positives. If you can't think of any, make something up and play fucking politics like a grownup -- and try running away from the one of the 5 best presidents ever at your own fucking risk. SMFH

On that Trump speech, who is the blonde woman who comes out at about 39m? She is downright terrifying...

EDIT: Nevermind, she said her name, right before a rant about some bullshit. Hold on, did she just imply Obama was complicit with the genocide of Christians? What the shit...

Um, did she look kinda, er, mannish? Than that's Ann Coulter, who has grabbed on to the "immigrants are going to destroy the country" shtick because her book sales of her general purpose liberals are horrible books started to stagnate.

HylianTom

Banned
The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Republicans don't wait for good things to run on, while Dems couldn't find a good thing if it created literally millions of jobs

GTF outta here with that Obamacare rollout nonsense causing losses. Dems simply don't know how to run on positives, ever. Plenty of positives. If you can't think of any, make something up and play fucking politics like a grownup -- and try running away from the one of the 5 best presidents ever at your own fucking risk. SMFH

I rant that they need to take a play from the Bill Clinton playbook and brag about the same set of stats every chance they make. Everyone who paid attention in the 90s can probably quote along with his whole "22 million new jobs created" "100,000 new police on the streets" "bridge to the 21st Century" brags because he hammered the hell out of them at every opportunity. Keep it short and memorable so that after a few times, it begins to sink into the background as a given.

Assuming that the economy continues along pretty well, every Democrat in 2016 needs to be out there with comparison stats for unemployment, job creation, Cuba relations, etc. Fairly or unfairly, voters tend to blame the guy in the Oval Office for when things are going well or poorly, and Dems would be wise to remind voters of who was in charge when things went to shit in the late aughts. The Democrats should have absolutely zero problems drawing a contrast between the allegedly shitty Bush years and the allegedly wonderful Obama years.

I really like the idea of an early saturation ad campaign with the intent to set the tone and agenda, especially if the Dems' contest is done and the GOP is still fighting it out. This year's could be a two-parter:
1: Hopeful Theme: the above-described "sunshine and rainbows and ponies" contrast campaign
2: Kooky Funny Theme: highlight reels of various out-there GOP comments from primary season, essentially asking: "do we really wanna put one of these fucking kooks in charge? Remember what happened the last time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom