• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Another poll out this morning showing a 16% Edwards lead -->
Without leaners: 51-35
With leaders: 54-38

http://winwithjmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/JMC-Statewide-Executive-Summary.pdf

Please hold.. hurry-up, clock!

Vitter is going to come out swinging tonight.

Not really. Literally no one in the Senate likes him and will just start endorsing whoever it takes to stop him. They all hate his guts, the man's got no real allies in the Senate except Steve King.

Some republicans will find great solace in a Cruz loss even if it meant a guaranteed Hillary win. Trump, Cruz & Carson are too polarizing to win a general election.

ivysaur12

Banned
Another poll out this morning showing a 16% Edwards lead -->
Without leaners: 51-35
With leaders: 54-38

http://winwithjmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/JMC-Statewide-Executive-Summary.pdf

Please hold.. hurry-up, clock!

Saw (per Daily Kos Elections, can't link as it's on my phone but it's behind a paywall anyway) that Mitch Landrieu is considering running for Senate in 2016 if Vitter loses the gubernatorial run-off.

Whether he wants to challenge Vitter specifically or would jump in anyway (perhaps seeing if a Democrat can still win statewide), who knows but I hope he does it either way. We need to run solid candidates everywhere we can, even if we have no chance of winning.

Obama's at 51 on Gallup, wrap it up Hillary's got this in the bag (rally effect after the attacks in Paris or just a high-end average? I dunno)

just jerked off to this, thanks guys.

But as a US senator, it's harder for the party to write off Cruz.

I've floated the idea that, if by some miracle he takes it, the party will most likely make The Most Limp-Wristed effort at supporting him and let the bastard crash and burn, thus putting an end to his political career.

I've floated the idea that, if by some miracle he takes it, the party will most likely make The Most Limp-Wristed effort at supporting him and let the bastard crash and burn, thus putting an end to his political career.
I think a come-to-Jesus moment for the GOP is more likely in the event of a Cruz nomination and shellacking than it would be in the event of a Trump nomination.

A Trump nomination and loss can be more easily written off as a fluke. A Cruz loss prompts a bit more introspection, I think. It points to something more fundamentally wrong with the party.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Some republicans will find great solace in a Cruz loss even if it meant a guaranteed Hillary win. Trump, Cruz & Carson are too polarizing to win a general election.

Maybe, but the establishment would sooner lose than see a Cruz presidency.

This is exactly what I think would happen.

Owzers

Are we not arming the Kurds? Rep. Ed Royce is saying the GOP does not want troops on the ground, that's a red herring. He and his Foreign Affairs committee wants to arm the Kurds, Yazidis, and Christians ( not sure why he threw that one in there?) directly along with better coordinated airstrikes.

Cerium

Arming the Kurds would upset Iraq and more importantly Turkey. Without Turkey on board, fighting ISIS becomes very difficult.

The fear is that the Kurds would then turn around and try to carve out an independent Kurdistan.

NeoXChaos

I just hope that if Edwards does win he can avoid the problems Blanco got herself into and be able to win reelection as well as building the party back into relevancy.

A Trump nomination and loss can be more easily written off as a fluke. A Cruz loss prompts a bit more introspection, I think. It points to something more fundamentally wrong with the party.

I agree, which is why they will want to let him crash and burn. People like The Turtle, Graham and Priebus absolutely despise the electorate he represents, and this would be the perfect opportunity to let them run the True Conservative golden standard straight to hell, thus facilitating the push for Marginally Less Insane rethoric.

This also allows them to shut every radical primary challenger right the fuck up

Cerium

I don't buy any scenario where the Republican establishment intentionally tanks the general election. They understand the stakes as well as we do. They'd hold their noses and do their best to elect President Trump if they had to.

I don't buy any scenario where the Republican establishment intentionally tanks the general election. They understand the stakes as well as we do. They'd hold their noses and do their best to elect President Trump if they had to.

Yep, they're not going to tank because they'd know the effects it would have on down ticket races.

This is my thought as well.

If you don't fully support Cruz, you can pretty much kiss the Senate goodbye, and a substantial portion of their lead in the House as well.

The problem is that if you do support Cruz? Every single establishment candidate takes the risk of becoming the next Cantor if they dont massively upgrade their rabid rethoric game.

The problem is that if you do support Cruz? Every single establishment candidate takes the risk of becoming the next Cantor if they dont massively upgrade their rabid rethoric game.

Cruz loses even in a best-case scenario. There is zero fucking chance that that lunatic would win the presidency.

So I think the party leaders who want Cruz to burn would be perfectly fine with feigning full support of him in the election.

So you give Cruz the party's full support, watch him inevitably lose, and hope it breaks the fever - all while praying that the party maintains control of Congress.

Cruz loses even in a best-case scenario. There is zero fucking chance that that lunatic would win the presidency.

So I think the party leaders who want Cruz to burn would be perfectly fine with feigning full support of him in the election.

So you give Cruz the party's full support, watch him inevitably lose, and hope it breaks the fever - all while praying that the party maintains control of Congress.

I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that if it is a somewhat close deal? Then the sort of base he represents will still be around, shouting that "just a little bit more and he would've taken it!".

Which is the exact opposite of what the establishment would want. Thus, he needs to crash and burn.

But yes, what you suggest most certainly can happen too. It is a matter of how pragmatic the leadership would be. I'm inclined to believe that they'd recognize the loss coming and would use that to their advantage. You're inclined to believe that they wouldn't risk such a move.

The only thing that is going to give the Establishment/Moderate/Non-Insane GOP any control is to let one of the Tea Party's Chosen crash and burn. Hard and on fire.

Cruz could do that for them. He's completely unelectable. They'd have to thrown token support to him, but I can see them encouraging their Big Money Daddies to funnel money down ballot. I don't see the Kochs dropping millions into his campaign.

Carson, I don't think the establishment fears. Firstly, he's probably not going to win the primary. Secondly, they can control him. They'll just put one of their establishment guys in positions that matter, and they can get him to say whatever they want. (Something similar to the Reagan/Bush dynamic...or Bush/Cheney) Carson also can provide them with cover for when they try to further gut "entitlement" programs.

Trump's the one they really, really don't want. He cannot be controlled. He doesn't need their money. He's all his own man. They would have less than no say in who he picks for various positions. (Ivanka for SoS! /s)

I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that if it is a somewhat close deal? Then the sort of base he represents will still be around, shouting that "just a little bit more and he would've taken it!".

Which is the exact opposite of what the establishment would want. Thus, he needs to crash and burn.

But yes, what you suggest most certainly can happen too. It is a matter of how pragmatic the leadership would be. I'm inclined to believe that they'd recognize the loss coming and would use that to their advantage. You're inclined to believe that they wouldn't risk such a move.

There really aren't any good options on the table for the GOP in 2016.

That's really what it comes down to.

NeoXChaos

The Vice Chair of the Progressive Caucus (the one Bernie helped organize) endorsed Hillary today.

She has the most endorsements of any modern nominee ever before IA. Nothing stops the Hillary train.

inb4 benji mentions FBI.

EDIT: Still waiting to endorse

Sen. Angus King of Maine (Independent who caucuses with Democrats).
Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey.
Sen. Jeff Merkley of Oregon.
Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island.
Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada.
Sen. Jon Tester of Montana.
Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon.
Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Gov. Steve Bullock of Montana
Gov. Kate Brown of Oregon
Gov. Jerry Brown of California
Gov. David Ige of Hawaii
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin of West Virginia
Gov. Steve Beshear of Kentucky( won't matter after Bevin takes over)

House

Takes too long to list but according to The Hill she has 128.

@RandPaul tells reporters that he's readying a bill that would put a moratorium on refugees from up to 30 countries with jihadist movements

Even fucking Rand?

God, these dumbfucks. Closing our borders to those in need is the most un-American thing we can do.

things like this is why having the President be a Democrat is so much more important than anything else. It'll suck not having the house and maybe the Senate but as long as Obama or Hillary or generic Democrat X holds that position, it will preserve the judiciary and prevent these human paraquats from making things much worse.

She has the most endorsements of any modern nominee ever before IA. Nothing stops the Hillary train.

inb4 benji mentions FBI.

37 out of 44 Democratic Senators.
123 out of 188 Democratic House Members.

I eagerly await the unskewing. :)

Jim Obergefell did so this morning as well.

Nice. As a gay Ohioan, my heart broke for this man and his husband. What he and his husband accomplished is a debt that a lot of LGBT Americans can't repay. I hadn't heard about this endorsement, but it warms my heart.

Even fucking Rand?

God, these dumbfucks. Closing our borders to those in need is the most un-American thing we can do.

things like this is why having the President be a Democrat is so much more important than anything else. It'll suck not having the house and maybe the Senate but as long as Obama or Hillary or generic Democrat X holds that position, it will preserve the judiciary and prevent these human paraquats from making things much worse.
Surprised Randy took this long tbh. He's a hardcore isolationist and protectionist.

O'Malley is just bad at this. Listening to him on the news right now.

I have no idea why MSNBC is interviewing him in response to the Paris attacks.

Jesus....

Baker and Rauner join in on suspending refugee resettlement

Abbott joins the governors of Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Illinois and Mississippi in denying entrance to the hundreds of thousands of Syrians who have fled their war-ravaged country.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence and Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner announced their states would "suspend" the resettlement of Syrian refugees. Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker said he wants to know more before accepting them.

The governors of Alabama, Arkansas and Michigan made similar vows following the attacks, which killed at least 129 people.

Maggie Hassan too.

ivysaur12

Banned
That Martha Coakley sure does have a stick up her ass, but I could totally get a beer with that Charlie Baker!!!!

http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...rian-Refugees-in-Massachusetts-350636311.html

Gov. Charlie Baker says he's opposed to allowing more Syrian refugees into Massachusetts in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Paris.

The Republican said Monday the safety and security of the people of Massachusetts are his first priority and he would have to know a lot more about the federal government's refugee vetting process before allowing them into the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom