• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we watch the same thing? Doesn't he say vietnam was LBJ's responsibility and he was just a nice company man following orders?
He says it was his responsibility (he's the president) but he doesn't say he didn't make choices, in fact most of the movie is rules to avoid the mistake he committed

kingkitty

He has zero managerial experience, zero business experience and zero political experience. The general public is not going to vote for Carson.

would be funny if the GOP nominated Carson, considering how they said Obama was too inexperienced to be president.

Did we watch the same thing? Doesn't he say vietnam was LBJ's responsibility and he was just a nice company man following orders?

He makes statements in that general vein, *and* he also cops to a lot of responsibility sometimes, and not others.

It's fascinating watching him wrestle with his conscience.

It's also pretty easy to read how he feels vs. what he's comfortable saying.

And he also underlines a lot of huge mistakes we made the whole time.

On top of all that, the movie is about a lot more other things than Vietnam.

He has zero managerial experience, zero business experience and zero political experience. The general public is not going to vote for Carson.

Whoa, to be fair: the guy was a division chief at Hopkins. That may not be the same as running a major company, but it certainly isn't "zero managerial experience."

His lack of political experience is a bigger problem for him, and unlike Trump, his words can actually come back to bite him.

Carson will be much harder to defeat in a general election than Trump. MUCH harder. His favorables are through the roof (which says a lot about modern America when you look at the asinine stuff he has said).

If Carson makes it through this debate without imploding, he'll be fine. I expect Trump to hit him hard and often--eliminating the VA, flat tax being a terrible idea, etc.

Carson or Walker getting the nom is my worst-case scenario for this election.

Is this a joke? Carson has no shot in a general. He'd get utterly destroyed. I'd be surprised if he hit 44% on election day.

I'd wager his backstory of being one of the best neurosurgeons in our time and views on race could play up with a lot of the electorate.

And then him being a moron in everything else will come out. He's a theocrat. He's a terrible debater, says some really dumb shit, will inspire nobody.

Ben Carson is being propped up by the religious and people who don't want Trump or an establishment and think he might be one of the "good ones." But eventually he'll have to open his mouth in a real public forum, other than making a stupid joke, and it will end him.

People forget, but his first half of the debate last month was fucking awful. But it got lost in the Trump shaming and Christie-Rand bitch slap fight. Then in the 2nd half, he joked about being ignored and then basically said to ignore racism and made another good joke and everyone laughed and that's all republicans know him for.

He's the black doctor who thinks racism is dead and made a few witty jokes. That's all they know him by.

A Carson nomination would lead to a 400+ EV landslide. But he's not getting nominated, anyway.

I'd wager his backstory of being one of the best neurosurgeons in our time and views on race could play up with a lot of the electorate.

How does that overcome his knack for saying ignorant things, lurch to religious extremism, and utter lack of foreign policy experience?

White women aren't going to sit back and watch another unqualified black man take a job from a distinguished white woman.

I've been saying for a few months now that Kasich is far and away the greatest threat in a general. Fact is his economic record is much stronger than Walker's, and he's done it in one of the most important states in the electoral college.

I'm just hoping that his Medicaid expansion and general moderate stances sink him in the primary. He'll still be the odds-on favorite for the VP nomination, but I'm not sure how much of a threat he'd be in the VP slot.

I've been saying for a few months now that Kasich is far and away the greatest threat in a general. Fact is his economic record is much stronger than Walker's, and he's done it in one of the most important states in the electoral college.

I'm just hoping that his Medicaid expansion and general moderate stances sink him in the primary. He'll still be the odds-on favorite for the VP nomination, but I'm not sure how much of a threat he'd be in the VP slot.

Kasich is the reason Bush needs to stay in for the entire process. To make sure he can't grab the nom. And hopefully not Rubio, either. They're the only two that give me pause.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Guy you need to slow your role. First it was Walker is the ultimate threat and now Ben Carson? Come on...

I never said Walker would be a threat. Dangerous to the country? Yes. But never a threat. I said he'd melt under the national spotlight, which he is doing.

Carson, on the other hand, has favorables that are through the roof right now. People would be stupid to discount that. I still think he fades in a month or two but he would not be an easy opponent in the general election.

Black Mamba said:
Is this a joke? Carson has no shot in a general. He'd get utterly destroyed. I'd be surprised if he hit 44% on election day.

Nope, not a joke. Look--if the democrats had a candidate who could energize a base and was interesting, I'd feel differently. But they don't. Carson appeals to Average Joe American, sadly. "Hey, I can do that job better than that politician! You don't need political experience!" I mean, look at the guy's favorable ratings right now. Insanely high. That's AFTER he said ridiculously stupid things in the debate and voiced his opinion that racism isn't really an issue.

He's respected. I mean, let's not pretend that saying stupid things is going to cause your numbers to fall because Trump is crushing it right now. No, he wouldn't appeal to the "electorate you need to win an election." But I don't think Hillary does, either. I think we're going to see a sizable dropoff in democratic voters compared to when Obama ran, and that is trouble.

I think people on this board are really understating how apathetic people may be when it comes to voting for Hillary.

Rubio is a kid in his dad's suit. Plus there's Bottled-Water-gate. I'm not concerned about him in the slightest. He couldn't inspire a flock of sheep if you spotted him a border collie.

Rubio is a kid in his dad's suit. Plus there's Bottled-Water-gate. I'm not concerned about him in the slightest. He couldn't inspire a flock of sheep if you spotted him a border collie.

He acts perpetually pissed off, which irritates the hell out of me.

He has these optimistic campaign themes and yet personally embodies none of them. He strikes me as being a very unpleasant person.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How does that overcome his knack for saying ignorant things, lurch to religious extremism, and utter lack of foreign policy experience?

Are we talking about Ben Carson or George W. Bush? Because we all know how that turned out in 2000. Democrats ran a guy who had been in Washington and the public eye for decades, and the electorate didn't turn out for him.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Carson's a legit threat? Now I've heard everything...

The man is a goddamned idiot when it comes to anything aside from neurology. His favorables don't mean shit if they're only from Republicans. If Carson gets anywhere near the top of the field, enough to warrant him as s legitimate threat in the primary, he'll be ripped to shreds once the media shines the spotlight on him, as they did with Herman Cain.

And for the record, my man the CAIN TRAIN(!!) was a literal rocket scientist LOL

NeoXChaos

I never said Walker would be a threat. Dangerous to the country? Yes. But never a threat. I said he'd melt under the national spotlight, which he is doing.

Carson, on the other hand, has favorables that are through the roof right now. People would be stupid to discount that. I still think he fades in a month or two but he would not be an easy opponent in the general election.

Nope, not a joke. Look--if the democrats had a candidate who could energize a base and was interesting, I'd feel differently. But they don't. Carson appeals to Average Joe American, sadly. "Hey, I can do that job better than that politician! You don't need political experience!" I mean, look at the guy's favorable ratings right now. Insanely high. That's AFTER he said ridiculously stupid things in the debate and voiced his opinion that racism isn't really an issue.

He's respected. I mean, let's not pretend that saying stupid things is going to cause your numbers to fall because Trump is crushing it right now. No, he wouldn't appeal to the "electorate you need to win an election." But I don't think Hillary does, either. I think we're going to see a sizable dropoff in democratic voters compared to when Obama ran, and that is trouble.

I think people on this board are really understating how apathetic people may be when it comes to voting for Hillary.

That is why the Republicans must nominate Bush. They cancel each other out.

Plinko

Carson's a legit threat? Now I've heard everything...

The man is a goddamned idiot when it comes to anything aside from neurology. His favorables don't mean shit if they're only from Republicans. If Carson gets anywhere near the top of the field, enough to warrant him as s legitimate threat in the primary, he'll be ripped to shreds once the media shines the spotlight on him, as they did with Herman Cain.

And for the record, my man the CAIN TRAIN(!!) was a literal rocket scientist LOL

Latest PPP poll said:
Carson easily has the best net favorability rating with the overall electorate- +20 at 45/25.

Are we talking about Ben Carson or George W. Bush? Because we all know how that turned out in 2000. Democrats ran a guy who had been in Washington and the public eye for decades, and the electorate didn't turn out for him.

lol @ Carson being compared to 2000 Bush. Not even close.

Also, Bush had a lower turnout!

it was a different time.

The problem with your argument is that nobody actually knows Carson. If he was the nominee, it would all come out and he'd be toast. His favorables are meaningless right now.

Plinko

lol @ Carson being compared to 2000 Bush. Not even close.

Also, Bush had a lower turnout!

it was a different time.

The problem with your argument is that nobody actually knows Carson. If he was the nominee, it would all come out and he'd be toast. His favorables are meaningless right now.

I agree--it was a different time. A time when Donald Trump was laughed at as a possible presidential choice. We're 15 years removed. People are angry and genuinely think somebody with no experience can do the job. Do I get it? No. But that's what they think.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah Carson's numbers are meaningless because his public presence so far is nill. If he actually speaks for any length of time at the next debate I expect his numbers to drop precipitously.

NeoXChaos

I agree--it was a different time. A time when Donald Trump was laughed at as a possible presidential choice. We're 15 years removed. People are angry and genuinely think somebody with no experience can do the job. Do I get it? No. But that's what they think.

you must be suffering from a political nightmare. What is worrying you?

Plinko

Yeah Carson's numbers are meaningless because his public presence so far is nill. If he actually speaks for any length of time at the next debate I expect his numbers to drop precipitously.

As do I. I have just been pointing out how foolish it is to brush off somebody in this race because of things they have said.

NeoXChaos said:
you must be suffering from a political nightmare. What is worrying you?

An unlikely scenario.

1. Trump fades and Carson or Cruz get the nomination.
2. Hillary gets the democratic nomination.
3. Hillary fails to energize democratic/independent voters (which I think happens in almost any scenario).
4. Crazy Carson or Cruz wins the election, destroys our country with laws that set back the poor and middle class for decades.

I've been open about my political leanings on this board--I'm a Christian democrat. I'll almost always vote democrat because of their support for the poor, which I find to be far more Christian than anything the republicans are pushing today. I honestly think Trump would be a decent president. He'll get the nomination and move more to the center. He's already said stuff that signifies that move (rich have taxes that are too low, flat tax is a terrible idea, etc.). I'd still vote for Hillary over him, but I think he'd be decent. He'll surround himself with yes-men and come off as a moderate leader.

I think Carson, Walker, or Cruz would be terrible and do terrible things to the country.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Agreed. He's liked because of his joke and the fact that's all anyone remembers. He's very much like Walker: destined to collapse under the spotlight.

Hey, if a community organizer can do it...

Tarkus

Carson is so boring when he speaks. He makes Jeb! look like this guy:
giphy.gif

Not to mention he's a wacko seventh day adventist who doesn't believe in evolution.

NeoXChaos

As do I. I have just been pointing out how foolish it is to brush off somebody in this race because of things they have said.

An unlikely scenario.

3. Hillary fails to energize democratic/independent voters (which I think happens in almost any scenario).
4. Crazy Carson or Cruz wins the election, destroys our country with laws that set back the poor and middle class for decades.

I've been open about my political leanings on this board--I'm a Christian democrat. I'll almost always vote democrat because of their support for the poor, which I find to be far more Christian than anything the republicans are pushing today. I honestly think Trump would be a decent president. He'll get the nomination and move more to the center. He's already said stuff that signifies that move (rich have taxes that are too low, flat tax is a terrible idea, etc.). I'd still vote for Hillary over him, but I think he'd be decent. He'll surround himself with yes-men and come off as a moderate leader.

I think Carson, Walker, or Cruz would be terrible and do terrible things to the country.

She will have Obama, her VP, Diamond Joe and Bill. Gore and Kerry did not have that and will have a far more favorable demographic/EC map than they had.

As for Cruz and Carson? doubtful.

An unlikely scenario.

Cruz? President? Are you stoned right now?

Carson and Cruz are joke candidates. And no, trump is not completely one. He's different.

I think you're overthinking this. Carson and Cruz are like any PD prediction. they have stank on them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Herman Cain's reign as the frontrunner lasted for about 12 minutes. Do I need to bring up that legendary interview on Libya?

There's ZERO reason to worry about Carson as he is equally as stupid, if not moreso than the Cain Train.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Herman Cain's reign as the frontrunner lasted for about 12 minutes. Do I need to bring up that legendary interview on Libya?

There's ZERO reason to worry about Carson as he is equally as stupid, if not moreso than the Cain Train.

I miss the Cain Train so much. I wish he was in it, him and Trump would be legend.

Ben Carson is being propped up by the religious and people who don't want Trump or an establishment and think he might be one of the "good ones."
I think there's probably a sizable portion of Republicans who don't want consecutive black presidents, even if they think Carson is "one of the good ones" (and I don't believe anyone who says that, besides).

Watch fog of war

I have; excellent documentary. I think McNamara had a lot of regrets, but often couldn't accept the responsibility of his actions. I don't know which makes me angrier though: someone like McNamara who thinks mistakes were made and things never should have reached that point, or Rumsfeld, who sees nothing wrong in what was done or how it was accomplished.

She will have Obama, her VP, Diamond Joe and Bill. Gore and Kerry did not have that and will have a far more favorable demographic/EC map than they had.

As for Cruz and Carson? doubtful.

Kerry didn't have clinton shilling for him? Why in blazes did they decide to do that?

NeoXChaos

Kerry didn't have clinton shilling for him? Why in blazes did they decide to do that?

yes but he was out of commission for a good part of the fall.

Clinton, who is noticeably thinner almost two months into his recuperation from quadruple heart bypass surgery, urged the throng to vote. He implored them to persuade those who "are reluctant to change leaders while we're involved in this mess in Iraq" to cast a ballot for Kerry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14843-2004Nov1.html

Maybe they thought he still had that Monica stank on him?

I don't know much about the 04 campaign but maybe it was also that Bush was still a fairly popular president and they wouldn't gain much from having Clinton (the previous president) attack him. I dunno.

^Guess that surgery probably impacted things too.

So in 2011 at this point in time Rick Perry was leading, with RomBot in 2nd place. What's interesting is that Romney was always in the second place whenever flavor of the month bubbled up, and never once dipped into single digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom