• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sources have indicated that Pres. Obama intends to tap new political figure, Brad O'Bama for VP spot.

barack_obama.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is that a surprise? It's literally the establishment playbook going back to Ronald Reagan, and it's got them fairly decent success so far.

The fact that Jeb is a bad retail politician completely unsuited for the current climate in the republican primaries doesn't change the fundamental of what the republican candidate will be pushing for - lower taxes for the wealthy, less regulation for business, with a few tokenistic efforts to keep the evangelical base onside.

My money is on Rubio now BTW. I think Kasich might be stronger, but he won't get through the primary season. I wouldn't surprised to see money and supporters shifting over from Jeb over the next few months, he's just not connecting at all and isn't improving at all either.

I'm surprised because I think voters have pretty much moved past this, especially with examples we've seen in places like Kansas. The gap between rich and middle-class is widening and the majority of people are in favor of higher taxes on the rich.

It's going to be a huge political target and easy picking for Hillary in debates. It is going to be hard for him to defend.

benjipwns

Banned
Emperor Obama setting up two generations of puppet Presidents while he rules from the shadows.
While Michelle runs for the Senate...preparing for her own Presidential bid in 2028.

And then Malia runs in 2036. And Sasha in 2044. (Both having inherited the Senate seat.)

Follow the money.

benjipwns

Banned
I think the main reason Obama is desperate to endorse Biden is he sees Hillary falling to the new front-runner Bernie Sanders and their Wall Street masters are coming down on them hard to prevent Bernie from bringing about a real democratic revolution in this country. And with Hillary's campaign headed towards Scott Walker territory, they need to get someone else out there to stop The People's Voice from speaking.

PublicPolicyPolling
Our new Iowa poll- Trump 24, Carson 17, Fiorina 13, Cruz/Rubio 8, Bush/Huckabee 6, Walker 5, Jindal/Paul 4:

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls 5m5 minutes ago
Carly Fiorina is most frequent 2nd choice of GOP voters in IA at 16%. 62/15 favorability best other than Carson

Ben Carson has 77/11 favorability w/ IA GOP, 15 pts better than next highest candidate. Support up from 12% to 17%
Jeb Bush had biggest fall other than Walker in IA over last six weeks- from 11% to 6%, putting him in a tie for 6th:
JINDALMENTUM! 56/19 favorability in IA makes him 5th most popular GOP hopeful. 4% standing puts him in top 10 there:
As Fiorina rises, GOP voters unsure what to make of record at HP- 42% say she did a good job, 12% bad, 46% not sure:

Only 49% of Iowa Republicans even think Islam should be legal in the US. 30% say it shouldn't be, 21% not sure:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/09/trump-still-leads-iowa-clinton-in-good-shape.html
wonder where walkers 5% will go to now? probably Rubio & bush since the campaigns announced they picked up some staffers yesterday i guess

plus i thought iowa had sane republicans? smh at the muslim%

-Trump is doing pretty poorly in head to head match ups in Iowa, and that's something to keep an eye on as more people drop out of the race. He leads Bush 51/37 but beyond that he trails Carson 60/33, Fiorina 54/36, Rubio 53/38, and he trailed Walker 51/37. Walker supporters preferred Carson over Trump 68/26, Rubio over Trump 66/31, Fiorina over Trump 59/28, and even Bush over Trump 48/36. As more people drop out there may be a closing of the field around Trump's remaining foes.
Former Scott Walker voters support anyone but Trump h2h- Carson 68/26, Rubio 66/31, Fiorina 59/28, even Bush 48/36:
Interesting for Trump in iowa though, could lose steam there in the long run as more people drop out

PPPoll of Iowa said:
Our new Iowa poll- Trump 24, Carson 17, Fiorina 13, Cruz/Rubio 8, Bush/Huckabee 6, Walker 5, Jindal/Paul 4:

This is why I think people who assume its going to be Bush or Rubio are way of base. Neither one of them are even in double digits in a key early state. This is not at all like the random anti-Romney flare ups in 2012.

benjipwns

Banned
At this point I don't see Biden announcing until after October.
I think Biden will hop in shortly after the first post-debate polls. Hillary will probably bomb under the tough questioning and strength of Bernie Sanders integrity sending her campaign into free fall and Bernie surging to 50-55%. (If he's not already there by debate time.) Biden and Obama will then step in to bail out the establishment.

Hillary will probably drop out "so as not to distract the country with my misdeeds at the State Department" and not split the vote.

I think Biden will hop in shortly after the first post-debate polls. Hillary will probably bomb under the tough questioning and strength of Bernie Sanders integrity sending her campaign into free fall and Bernie surging to 50-55%. (If he's not already there by debate time.) Biden and Obama will then step in to bail out the establishment.

Hillary will probably drop out "so as not to distract the country with my misdeeds at the State Department" and not split the vote.
Is that when Ross Perot announces his surprise campaign?

PPP Dem side
Democratic field in Iowa: Clinton 43, Sanders 22, Biden 17, O'Malley/Webb 3, Chafee 2:

Reallocate Biden voters to 2nd choice in IA and Clinton leads Sanders 50/25, almost identical to 52/25 early August:

Among Biden voters in Iowa 43% say Clinton would be their second choice, just 15% that Sanders would be:
Sanders leads Clinton 49/33 w/ 'very liberal' in Iowa, but she's up 56/16 w/ 'somewhat liberal,' 38/16 w/ moderates:

Clinton sitting pretty well in Iowa

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The fact that Carson still could pull this off drives me up the wall.

Why are we still talking about Hillary's poll numbers? She's a shoe-in.

NeoXChaos

This is why I think people who assume its going to be Bush or Rubio are way of base. Neither one of them are even in double digits in a key early state. This is not at all like the random anti-Romney flare ups in 2012.

I expect IA to not matter in the end. Bush just needs to win one of the first 4 contest and ride into Super Tuesday with his millions then finish off Rubio in Florida on March 15th.

Teggy

Loved this bit from Colbert's Cruz interview:

At another point in the interview, Cruz said a voter in South Carolina had told him that she voted for Barack Obama in 2008, stayed home in 2012 and wanted to vote for Cruz in 2016.

"Does she have a name? Does this person have a name?" Colbert joked, turning over his notes and getting his pen ready as if he were going to write it down. "I just want to fact-check that one maybe a little bit later."

That's the same shit he pulls in every interview - some anecdote that you couldn't possibly prove and generally means nothing. Pure jv debate tactic.

Colbert also hammered him on Reagan and he didn't answer the questions.

Vlad

Loved this bit from Colbert's Cruz interview:

That's the same shit he pulls in every interview - some anecdote that you couldn't possibly prove and generally means nothing. Pure jv debate tactic.

Colbert also hammered him on Reagan and he didn't answer the questions.

He was dodging questions left and right, which is pretty much par for the course. I was kind of disappointed when Stephen asked that people not boo him, but I guess he wants to still get these kinds of guests in the future.

Averon

I seriously don't get the appeal of Carson. I thought he was quite boring in the debate. Not saying much. Speaking in a soft tone.

And lol @ 42% of GOP voters think Fiorina did a good job at HP. I can only imagine the mental gymnastics they had to go thought to think her record at HP was anything other than a disaster.

benjipwns

Banned
And lol @ 42% of GOP voters thing Fiorina did a good job at HP. I can only imagine the mental gymnastics they had to go thought to think her record at HP was anything other than a disaster.
It's called they don't know anything about her tenure. Only 46% were honest.

I seriously don't get the appeal of Carson. I thought he was quiet boring in the debate. Not saying much. Speaking in a soft tone.

And lol @ 42% of GOP voters thing Fiorina did a good job at HP. I can only imagine the mental gymnastics they had to go thought to think her record at HP was anything other than a disaster.

Soft spoken Donald Trump-lite, successful Republican black man, and a outsider. Being an outsider/non politician is his biggest and worst weak point though. That same goes with Trump and Carly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know how anyone who saw him on Colbert could think he's running. He all but said "definitely not."

There was a part that got cut from the broadcast version of the interview where Biden talks about feeling like he'd be letting his entire family down, his parents especially, if he didn't get up off the mat. Seeing him talk like that could definitely make you feel like he's trying to make it. The whole interview made it feel like he's saying, "I definitely want to do this, but I'm not entirely sure I can yet."

"I'm not racist. I'm voting for Ben Carson!"

Pretty much.

benjipwns

Banned
I like Carson's personality, it's actually kinda like Sanders in terms of "slow down, let's actually talk about this" rather than whipping out as many talking points as possible ala Carly and he seems generally reasonable outside of his social conservatism. Even there he's not as bad as a Huckabee or Cruz or Santorum. Seems more apt to criticize than start talking about laws that need to be passed, etc.

I think if pushed I could rank him in the "three least bad" options along with Paul and...oops.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like Carson's personality and he seems generally reasonable outside of his social conservatism. Even there he's not as bad as a Huckabee or Cruz or Santorum. Seems more apt to criticize than start talking about laws that need to be passed, etc.

I think if pushed I could rank him in the "three least bad" options along with Paul and...oops.

That's never going to get old, nicely done. :lol

Love those Rick Perry jokes.

benjipwns

Banned
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/a-thrifty-marco-rubio-is-poised-to-capitalize-on-129618229986.html
Marco Rubio’s top campaign adviser couldn’t contain his glee at the prospect of discussing the presidential candidate’s Spartan spending habits on the day Scott Walker dropped out of the Republican primary, in part because of profligate spending.

“We’ve run such a lean campaign at times, taken knocks for it. But keeping control of the budget is such an important thing,” said Terry Sullivan, campaign manager for Rubio, the U.S. senator from Florida.

At an event hosted by Google and the National Review at Google’s Washington headquarters near Union Station, Sullivan boasted how every staffer has taken a pay cut to work for Rubio, how they sell bumper stickers and yard signs rather than giving them away, how Rubio flies commercial 95 percent of the time he travels (the other 5 percent is on a private jet) and how he, Sullivan, personally monitors every significant purchase.

“Every expense of over $500 in the entire campaign, I sign a piece of paper on. It is a giant pain in the ass,” he said, clearly pleased. Moments later, he said, “It’s working. It creates a culture and a mindset that’s very different.”

“It’s a state of mind. We’re all here for one person. It’s Marco. It’s not about us,” Sullivan said.

This fiscal discipline was a reason for bullishness on a day when Walker had to admit to his aides that the “finances just aren’t there,” having hired 90 staffers in a premature buildup. Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry withdrew last week, also for money reasons. Perry’s campaign had hoped for $4 million and budgeted for around $2.5 million but ended up raising only a little bit more than $1 million from donors.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., meanwhile, has raised very little money and has barely registered in the polls but has been able to stay in the race so far because, as his campaign manager Christian Ferry said Monday at the Google event, “We’re running a small, disciplined, flexible mobile campaign that we can afford.”

Graham’s campaign staff numbers about a dozen, Ferry said. “That’s the campaign we’ve had planned from day one,” he said.

By contrast, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush raised the most money of any candidate in the first half of 2015 but also has a bigger campaign than Rubio and is now facing questions from restless donors about why he has been unable to stop current frontrunner Donald Trump. Bush’s campaign has said they are running a “lean” campaign, but recent reports have indicated some reductions in staff pay and an increase in Bush’s travel on commercial airlines instead of private jets.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/scott-walker-quits-2016-takeaways-213907
Several senior Republicans with knowledge of his campaign said the 47-year-old Walker — who won two elections and survived a recall effort without the help of national consultants — was simply too confident in his own abilities and often acted, ineptly, as his own campaign manager.

“The impression I had,” said one veteran GOP operative, “was that Scott was making it up as he went along.”

But angry as Walker was — his super PAC was named “Unintimidated” — he just wasn’t quite angry enough.

Liz Mair, a former Walker aide who was fired earlier this year, took to Twitter on Monday to enumerate the mistakes her one-time boss had made — and said he often seemed overmatched by the velocity and information overload inherent in a modern presidential campaign.

At the top of her list: “Not educating himself fast enough on issues outside governor's remit” and “Not training himself out of tics incl[uding] instinctively answering 'yes' and 'absolutely' to things, comparing lots of things to union fight.”

The two Republican debates — which might have served as a safety net for his free-falling candidacy — were unmemorable, and his bland passivity at last Wednesday’s otherwise raucous showdown proved fatal.

On a night when Carly Fiorina rose, instantly, from the ranks of also-rans to second or third place, Walker found himself shut out of the back-and-forth — logging a mere eight minutes of talk time, compared with Trump’s 20 despite his best efforts to interrupt.

“He was a terrible candidate, but he also got Trump-ed,” said one Walker ally.
Jeez, with allies like these...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...destroyed-scott-walkers-presidential-chances/
But, that calculation was pre-Trump. From the day Trump entered the race in mid-June, Walker struggled to find his footing in a race in which the "star" was no longer Jeb Bush -- a relatively conventional opponent -- but rather an entertainer who would say and do anything to draw attention.

As Trump went from a novelty act to the star of the presidential campaign, Walker's 'Joe Average'-schtick began to feel like an echo of a race that was no longer being run. Crowds packed in cheek-to-jowl to listen to Trump regale them with the famous people he knew and the "big" deals he had cut. Walker just kept telling the same story about how he got his sweaters at Kohl's.

A "bigness" gap emerged -- never more so than at the two debates, the first in Cleveland and the second last week in California. Walker, despite his relative prime position on the stage -- a vestige of the national polling bump he got after that speech at the Iowa event way back in February -- seemed diminished when standing among his rivals for the nomination. And it wasn't just Trump whose persona towered over Walker; Bush, Marco Rubio, Carly Fiorina and Chris Christie all just seemed -- and I know this is a loaded word --more presidential than Walker. In the second debate last week, Walker spoke for the shortest period of time of any candidate on the stage; his campaign complained about the lack of speaking time but part of running for president is being able to butt your way into conversations and making moments. He did neither.

Speaking of making moments, the Walker campaign did everything it could to find a moment in which his supposed "true self" showed through. But, even when they found one -- Walker shouting down a protester at the Iowa State Fair seemed like it might do the trick -- the candidate could never repeat the performance. It was a one-off rather than a trend.

Slacker

Only 49% of Iowa Republicans even think Islam should be legal in the US. 30% say it shouldn't be, 21% not sure:
I have to say it's pretty damn concerning that one of our two major political parties has a large number of members that fundamentally disagree with the principles this country was founded on.

I have to say it's pretty damn concerning that one of our two major political parties has a large number of members that fundamentally disagree with the principles this country was founded on.
Come join us in the Ben Carson thread and revel in the stupidity yourself.

benjipwns

Banned
They should have asked the Democrats that question too. And this one:
2 Do you agree or disagree with the following
statement: ‘President Obama is waging a war
on Christianity?’

Agree 69% ..............................................................
Disagree 17% .........................................................
Not sure 14%

Q26 Do you think Donald Trump’s comments about
Carly Fiorina’s appearance are appropriate or
inappropriate, or are you not sure?
Appropriate 13% .....................................................
59% Inappropriate...................................................
Not sure 27% ..........................................................

Q27 Do you think Donald Trump’s comments about
Jeb Bush’s wife are appropriate or
inappropriate, or are you not sure?
Appropriate 22% .....................................................
49% Inappropriate...................................................
Not sure 29%

9 Do you think vaccines can lead to autism, or
not?
Vaccines can lead to autism 16% ...........................
Vaccines cannot lead to autism 45% ......................
Not sure 39% ..........................................................

Q30 If a candidate for President smoked marijuana
in the past, would that make you more or less
likely to vote for them, or would it not make a
difference?
More likely 7% .......................................................
Less likely 30% .......................................................
Wouldn't make a difference 59% .............................
Not sure 5%

benjipwns

Banned
How did PPP leave this out of their summary:
Q25 (Republicans) If the Republican candidates for
President were Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Ted
Cruz, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, Mitt
Romney, Marco Rubio, Donald Trump, and
Scott Walker who would you vote for?
Jeb Bush 6% .........................................................
Ben Carson 17% .....................................................
Ted Cruz 10% .........................................................
Carly Fiorina 14% ...................................................
Mike Huckabee 6% ...............................................
Mitt Romney 7% ....................................................
Marco Rubio 7% ...................................................
Donald Trump 24% .................................................
Scott Walker 4% ...................................................
Someone else / Not sure 5%

I cannot freaking believe Jeb Bush is running his economic campaign on "ending regulations" and huge tax cuts for the rich. Unreal.

He is basically the exact same "trickle-down economy" candidate his predecessors were.
Hedge fund managers make too much money tho so its ok
http://wonkette.com/594156/maine-gov-paul-lepage-finds-exciting-new-way-to-dick-over-food-stamp-recipients
Now that Maine Gov. Paul LePage has definitively proven he doesn’t know how to governor any good at all — accidentally allowing a bunch of liberal bills he’d intended to veto to become law — it’s revenge time. Since he can’t get back at the courts or the legislature, he’s going after his favorite target: poor people, the one group he really gets a kick out of kicking. His new genius plan? An “asset test” for single childless people on food stamps, to make sure that no single people in Maine collect the state’s princely allotment of $29 a week while owning anything more than a house and a single car. Recipients would be kicked off food stamps if they have more than a total of $5000 in savings and assets
Be warned: a more liberal website you will never find

Slacker

How did PPP leave this out of their summary:

Pretty bad news for John Ellis Bush Bush that Mitt Romney, who isn't running and is pretty much hated by everyone, is doing better than him in that poll. Why would he even be a choice? Are Deez Nuts supporters writing him in as a goof?

benjipwns

Banned
I didn't know Wonkette was still a thing.

Pretty bad news for John Ellis Bush Bush that Mitt Romney, who isn't running and is pretty much hated by everyone, is doing better than him in that poll. Why would he even be a choice? Are Deez Nuts supporters writing him in as a goof?
Pollsters were putting him in earlier polls and he was crushing everybody with like 35%, I think PPP wanted to see if that still was true. And nope. GOP is getting high on Trumpcarlycarsonpium now.

Crisco

Banned
So the GOP is seriously pursuing a government shutdown over a highly produced hit piece without a single thread of truth behind it? Good luck with that! This would be like if the Democrats threatened to impeach Bush over the contents of Fahrenheit 9/11, the difference being everything in that movie actually being true and well evidenced. Whatever, continue to prove to the American people that you have no aptitude for government whatsoever. Joke party is a joke.

FiggyCal

Banned

Maybe there is a segment of republicans that are hoping Mitt throws his hat in the race. I don't know why he isn't running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom