• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Maybe there is a segment of republicans that are hoping Mitt throws his hat in the race. I don't know why he isn't running again.

Because he knows he would lose again and be even more humiliated? Mittens had some terrible ideas, but even he can't compete in this avalanche to the bottom that is GOP 2016.

Maybe there is a segment of republicans that are hoping Mitt throws his hat in the race. I don't know why he isn't running again.
He already gave that magnanimous speech about letting the next generation lead the republicans into the future, and giving other politicians a chance. It's not like he can take that back
Whatever, continue to prove to the American people that you have no aptitude for government whatsoever. Joke party is a joke.
Most people don't know or don't care. thats just the way it is on almost everything. They don't care about benghazi either

He already gave that magnanimous speech about letting the next generation lead the republicans into the future, and giving other politicians a chance. It's not like he can take that back

Yeah, it's just like that time Nigel Farage pledged that he would resign from UKIP leadership if he lost his parliamentary race. He lost and then he....

benjipwns

Banned
Forget I said anything on the last page.
“Now what about the big bang theory,” said Carson at speech to fellow Seventh Day Adventist titled, “Celebration of Creation,” about the theory for the origin of the universe.

“I find the big bang, really quite fascinating. I mean, here you have all these high-faluting scientists and they’re saying it was this gigantic explosion and everything came into perfect order. Now these are the same scientists that go around touting the second law of thermodynamics, which is entropy, which says that things move toward a state of disorganization.

“So now you’re gonna have this big explosion and everything becomes perfectly organized and when you ask them about it they say, ‘well we can explain this, based on probability theory because if there’s enough big explosions, over a long period of time, billions and billions of years, one of them will be the perfect explosion,” continued Carson. “So I say what you’re telling me is if I blow a hurricane through a junkyard enough times over billions and billions of years, eventually after one of those hurricanes there will be a 747 fully loaded and ready to fly.”

Carson added that he believed the big bang was “even more ridiculous” because there is order to the universe.

“Well, I mean, it’s even more ridiculous than that cause our solar system, not to mention the universe outside of that is extraordinarily well organized, to the point where we can predict 70 years away when a comet is coming,” he said. “Now that type of organization to just come out of an explosion? I mean, you want to talk about fairy tales, that is amazing.”

Later, Carson said he personally believed Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution was encouraged by the devil.

“I personally believe that this theory that Darwin came up with was something that was encouraged by the adversary, and it has become what is scientifically, politically correct,” said Carson.

“Amazingly, there are a significant number of scientists who do not believe it but they’re afraid to say anything,” Carson added, saying he would be writing a book, “The Organ of Species” shows how the organs of the body refute evolution.

Can't say I disagree about the Big Bang. Lots of faith involved in the proposition that something existed out of nothing, and that nothingness suddenly exploded into life. There's no real difference between "well God existed forever" and "well the nothingness existed forever"

thefro

Can't say I disagree about the Big Bang. Lots of faith involved in the proposition that something existed out of nothing, and that nothingness suddenly exploded into life. There's no real difference between "well God existed forever" and "well the nothingness existed forever"

Yeah, it's the "theory of Evolution is encouraged by Satan!!" part that's completely crazy

FiggyCal

Banned

I mean. It's not the worst thing I've heard him say. But I also don't know if you're being serious.

Don't want to play my hand on this too much but there's somewhat of a difference between stephen hawking saying the universe can come from nothing and a preacher saying it was all because of God, wouldn't you say

Slacker

High-falootin? Is this real life? And I see Carson employs the old tornado-in-a-junkyard chesnut. Whenever you hear someone say that, know that what they really mean is, "I have no idea whay evolution is, but I know I don't believe it's true."

What you're arguing about is the singularity before the big bang. As for the big bang itself, there is a myriad of evidence to support its veracity. If you can comprehend it, I don't understand how you can possibly refute it without counter-evidence.

The universe is not in 'perfect order'. Its perception of perfection is a human construct. The order that you perceive is a result of randomness and chaos, which can occasionally result in building blocks that compile to the point where order can take place. However, the randomness and disorder that brought about this order STILL EXISTS right now. To put it succinctly, order exists within the confines of disorder, which is the universe.

Also, life did not 'suddenly' spring from nothingness. It took over 10 BILLION fucking years for the universe to go from a singularity to forming life on this planet.

If you're sincerely interested in theories that propose how the singularity went from a state of nothingness to somethingness, then I suggest you do some studying on the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle and learn how quantum fluctuations work. Just because you don't understand something, it doesn't mean you should blindly accept theories that feed into your ignorance.

benjipwns

Banned
What Do Donald Trump Voters Actually Want?
30 of the billionaire real-estate developer’s backers offer individual explanations for their support.

I have been a liberal practically all of my life (29 years). I am an atheist, and my first ever Presidential vote was cast for John Kerry. I more or less despised George Bush, and even though I leaned toward Hillary in 2008, I voted for Obama in 2012. I support gay marriage, legalization of marijuana, and many other liberal positions.

I do, however, believe that our country is in a terrible position and on a terrible track. Trump strikes many of my nerves, but one of the most accurate and dangerously true statements he has made is that "America doesn't win anymore." I agree. The world is rising while America falls. America and its leaders seem resigned to this fact. Rather than stiffening their spine and fighting to make America a prosperous nation for all, they simply talk, go through the motions, throw out a few "red meat" issues to keep their respective bases satisfied, and continue to concede American jobs and economic strength to the rest of the world.

To friends and family, I have long railed against the fact that America uses Presidential rejects and other back-bench political cronies as their chief negotiators. John Kerry (yes, the man I voted for) was out-negotiated time and time again by his Russian counterpart. And now, it appears that the same thing has happened once again with the Iran negotiators. This all ties back to the same fundamental thread: politicians have failed this country, leading to one loss after another.

I do not believe that I am a racist, sexist, homophobic, or any other negative label that has been affixed to Trump supports. Rather, I feel that political correctness has run amok in this country, and we now live in a society where every blogger and Twitter user is searching for the slightest offense so they can try to ruin another human (famous, or not). The average person is afraid of expressing any controversial opinion in a public forum for fear of being "exposed," made viral, and ruined, personally and/or professionally. It is heartening to see someone as confident and impervious to criticism as Trump standing up to this ever-present mob…and winning! People tend to support the underdog. Most media outlets have attacked Trump with so much vitriol that they have turned him into a sympathetic figure.

Yes, I really do feel that Donald Trump has the interests of America at heart. He has already made his money and lived a life of glamour and fame, and another few billion dollars won't have any real impact on his quality of life. Rather, I genuinely believe that Trump feels the need to fight for the country he loves. There once was a time when people could actually feel proud to be Americans, and Trump comes from a generation that experienced that feeling. Now, many are embarrassed to be associated with this country. Jobs are being outsourced with reckless abandon and this country is literally being hollowed out. Economic statistics do no justice to this reality, and the average American knows this to be true.

Trump supporters feel that a confident, strong-willed leader is needed to right the ship and to fight back against the perpetual decline this country has experienced for the last two-plus decades. And to be honest, I feel that Trump is our only hope in this next election. This is coming from someone who voted for Obama in the last election! Anyway, that's my story and the main reasons why I support Trump. I didn't plan out this response for days or try to make this all-inclusive, but this should give you a fair idea of why I, a liberal, support Donald Trump for president.

Thanks for your article. I’m quite a fan of your writing and The Atlantic. I figured I’d take you up on your offer to discuss why I am voting for Donald Trump, if I get the opportunity. I live in New Jersey and usually by the time the primaries get around to me both tickets are decided. Still, I plan on voting for Trump if he is the Republican nominee and will likely pull the lever for him if he runs as an independent.

A bit about my background so you don’t think I’m some sort of fire breathing know-nothing. I am a 39-year-old who earns well into the six figures as a communications executive for a hospital. I have had a long career in journalism and public relations. I have been married to my first and only wife for 12 years; she’s a nurse at a local hospital. I have two boys, aged 10 and 8. One has ADHD (my 10 year old) and one has autism (my eight year old), so I’m plugged into the disabled community. I am a devout Christian and attend a local Methodist church in my area that typically has about 450 people on a Sunday morning across two services. I’m white.

There was a time in my life where I was intimately familiar with politics and enjoyed engaging in all the arguments. I think my interest stopped right around 2008 because everything started to get really nasty. I read somewhere that family members weren’t speaking to each other over political disagreements. I have one brother. He voted for Obama; I voted for McCain. We disagree politically, but he’s the only brother I have and we love each other as brothers do. I cannot imagine our political preferences coming between us. It was also around this time that I started noticing political discourse going from intellectual to downright nasty at all levels, with people losing jobs over their political views in extreme cases.

Politically you could say I’m conservative, but the truth is I no longer care about the liberal vs. conservative arguments. What I want is a country that works and will continue to work for my kids and their kids. Our current elected leadership seems to have no other interest except defeating the opposition, and then when that happens, holding their position through excessive demonizing of their opponents.

So why do I support Trump? Because he’s an authentic leader. I think he’s just what the country needs right now to wake it out of its stupor. We’ve got serious problems, but we spend all our time shouting about whether gays should be allowed to marry. Neither liberals nor conservatives have solid ideas about how to move us forward, and the lack of civility in our discourse prevents them from working together. What results is a paralysis that might be amusing if there wasn’t so much to be done.

Why do I think Trump would be better?

He’s led large organizations before. There hasn’t been much examination of his business beyond his bankruptcies and the fact that he inherited large sums. However, by all accounts he leads an enormous, diversified organization that is worth billions. This requires leadership. Leadership, by the way, is different from knowledge. When you lead a large organization you set vision, goals and expect results. You do not know every detail of every level of your organization. You can’t. The world is too complicated. You delegate and empower. You can get information when you need it and the president has no shortage of people ready to educate him on issues.

He’s a negotiator. I think this part has been under-discussed, and is probably his greatest asset. He’s spent his whole life and career making deals and negotiating deals. In his own words, he negotiates to win. This is a skill, and it’s one that we should learn to value. The current presidential dichotomy has us either electing a liberal or conservative with clearly defined policy views that are not open for negotiation. How does that move us forward? We need to get creative and we need to negotiate.

I believe Donald Trump will be able to do that.

Let me now deal with what I think the main objections to his candidacy have been:

One, he has no political experience. While he doesn’t have any elective experience, it’s not true that he doesn’t have any political experience. He’s been leading a large organization and working with officials constantly; this requires political deftness that frankly might be better than what our current elected officials have to offer.

Two, he doesn’t have specific policy positions. This is a standard negotiating technique. You don’t show your hand publicly. Frankly, I like this better than electing a doctrinaire liberal or conservative who is going to Washington with predefined policy ideas that are rooted in solid philosophies and not open for debate.

Three, he’s a rude blowhard. There is some merit to this. It is abundantly clear that Trump loves the spotlight, and he does say things that make you shake your head and groan. He clearly loves attention, but while this is a flaw I’m not sure it’s a fatal one.

Take the Megyn Kelly flap. I think her question was misguided. It focused on his public statements. I would ask if he has ever been sued for sexual harassment by any of his employees. So far, no one has stepped forward to say that Trump was ever sexually inappropriate toward them, and if there were any out there I am sure they would have been found by now. When The Apprentice was in its first couple of hit seasons, one of the executives at the judging table was a woman. He’s also raised a daughter, Ivanka, who by all accounts is a solid business executive in her own right who loves her father. His woman problem is a bit overblown, I think.

And he did make a good point during the debate. We’ve got serious problems in this country; we shouldn’t be making a big deal over the prospective president’s tone.

So why Trump? It is not because he is a Republican candidate or because he expresses conservative positions. It is not just because he is a political outsider and speaks his mind with no apologies. I support Trump because he is the picture of American greatness. Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich, emigrated to New York City from Germany in 1885 and, from humble beginnings (he worked first as a barber), began working toward the American Dream. Fast-forward 100 years later and Donald Trump is the inheritor of a strong work ethic and the richness that is possible only in a free country. Not only is he the inheritor, but he is the embodiment.

Think about the greatness of the American 20th Century. Think about Fred Astaire or Michael Jackson enchanting the world with dance. Think about John F. Kennedy or Ronald Reagan inspiring the world with leadership. Think of Babe Ruth, Martin Luther King Jr., Fred Rogers. The American 20th Century was a great one. Now think about the American headlines of today. What do you think of? War? Poverty? Political division? What are celebrities like today? Do we see greatness in America still on a daily basis or even in the movies? The Trump Family is the picture of the American Dream, and I believe Donald Trump is an honest man. When Donald Trump says that he wants to make America great again, I believe him. He has written books for all to read but that is not enough. He wants to lead.

Granted, Donald Trump cannot promise greatness among us as a society or a country. However, he can promise to be a leader for greatness, and he is fitted to do so.

Trump's foreign and domestic political positions are important and they matter. I am an independent voter and look forward to hearing more about his intentions as the political season rolls along. However, am I sold on his leadership? Yes, I am. Do I believe his courage? Yes, I do. I am relieved that he is not the traditional politician and is not speaking on behalf of his donors. The political system is broken and we need a true outsider to change the way things work. Yes, I know about those pictures with Hillary Clinton. Trump has always been a businessman first and has maintained an abundance of relations. This is a man with a huge network.

Trump is not the caricature that pundits would have you believe. Trump did not build his economic empire just with luck. As a Trump supporter, if I could ask anything from the American people, it would be respect. Please have respect for the family and fortune of this man. This is not just a man, this is the American Dream.

You raise some good points in your article, especially when you refer to his two ex-wives. I hadn't thought about that. I also read the previous article you wrote about Trump, and I thought that it was also well thought out, and you sound like a decent person and you aren't putting me down because I support Trump (I have 3 degrees - B.A., Ed. M., M.A.).

When Barack Obama was elected, I cried for the country. We were doomed. I was not a McCain supporter but I voted for him anyway. I have been holding my nose and voting Republican for the past 40 plus years. George H.W. Bush lied to us when he said he wouldn't raise taxes. Bill Clinton lied to us when he said that he didn't have sex with that woman, and in the OVAL OFFICE of all places - that's my House, not his house.

Al Gore was the bathtub ring around Bill Clinton and he was smug and sanctimonious at the debates, and so G.W. Bush was a better choice and maybe he would govern as a conservative and be like Reagan. Then everything went to hell. Then we got Obama who governs against the will of the people––I do not think Obama loves America and I think he is trying to destroy this country. Whatever did the Democrats see in Obama? Well, maybe that's what we see in Trump. Maybe he is our version of Obama. Maybe everything you say about Trump is true.

But I know that Trump, unlike Obama, loves America. Trump has never lied to me whereas all of the other Republican politicians (like McConnell & Boehner) have. They don't fight for my side. They cave to Obama ahead of time. Nobody fights for my side. Trump fights. Trump wins. I want an Alpha Male who is going to take it to the enemy. I am tired of supporting losers. I used to vote for President based on their positions. Now I am going to vote for President based on emotion. I want a strong man to be president, an Alpha male, somebody who is going to rip the other side a new one. I am tired of losing the fight before we even have a fight. That is why I support Donald Trump. Ted Cruz is my second choice. Never Jeb!

It is not that Trump supporters necessarily trust Trump to be their champion or that he can be relied upon to deliver better than other politicians. It is the confidence that he can't do worse (and just might do better). In the meantime, his supporters relish the contempt he shows toward the mainstream media and politicians (a contempt which is shared not just by Tea Party conservatives, but many educated liberals and independents). I am a Bernie Sanders supporter. But if I had to vote for any Republican, it would certainly be Trump. In a face off between Hillary Clinton and Trump, I again would vote Trump. While he might not deliver on his promises, he would certainly be a bull in the China shop of contemporary American politics, which has long needed destroying and rebuilding.

Fuchsdh

This is exactly what I figured, it's like ODing on water. You can technically do it, but you're gonna die from something else long before that happens.

Actually it's more common than you'd think. Novice runners and athletes especially can put themselves at risk of water intoxication fairly easily. Of course a lot of the other cases are people doing stupid drinking contests as well.

So the GOP is seriously pursuing a government shutdown over a highly produced hit piece without a single thread of truth behind it? Good luck with that! This would be like if the Democrats threatened to impeach Bush over the contents of Fahrenheit 9/11, the difference being everything in that movie actually being true and well evidenced. Whatever, continue to prove to the American people that you have no aptitude for government whatsoever. Joke party is a joke.

Everything? There are plenty of distortions or errors in Moore's documentaries.

Heard an interesting conspiracy on Stephanie Miller this morning....that the "we got a mooslum problem" guy at Trump rally was a Karl Rove plant. Rove plays dirty and this is not completely outta line for him to do.

Seems to me that people want a Superman to fix their perceived problems. It's funny and logical( their conclusions are logical for the reason to support outsiders at least on the surface level ) at the same time that people think a person with no political experience and little relationship with the party the candidate is running with has any chance of leading the country.

Politicians messed things up, but the problem is I think, the people don't elect the right ones and do not know how the government is run.

Slacker

If you think Ted Cruz is disgusting now, wait until you see his "leadership" in the shutdown fight next week. He's counting on this to rocket him to the White House. The logic behind this is a little confusing, so let me walk you guys through it:

* A large percentage of Americans do not want a government shutdown.

* An unpopular shutdown will likely cause permanent damage to the eventual Republican nominee, and indeed to the Republican Party in general.

* The shutdown threat is over money that doesn't go to abortions (which is banned by federal law), but rather to all of the other important services that Planned Parenthood provides to people who need it the most. In fact...

* If Planned Parenthood is defunded, the abortion rate would almost certainly *increase*, as less access to contraceptive care of course leads to more unplanned pregnancies.

Wait, crap. That didn't explain his logic at all. This one may be over my head. Let me try again:

* The twelve people in his immediate circle Ted Cruz speaks to on a regular basis all think this is a good idea.

* Everyone hates the government as much as Ted Cruz so they'll welcome a shutdown.

* Most people want abortion to be illegal, as far as Ted Cruz knows.

This is the Republican Bubble at its most impenetrable. I'm looking forward to the entirely avoidable trainwreck that's coming.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Don't kid yourselves--This is EXACTLY why he appeals to the GOP voters. This is not viewed as a negative thing for them, and in 2014, 51% of Americans said they weren't confident in the theory at all, while only between 32-38% said they were confident.

Let's not pretend this is going to be a negative for Carson.

Heard an interesting conspiracy on Stephanie Miller this morning....that the "we got a mooslum problem" guy at Trump rally was a Karl Rove plant. Rove plays dirty and this is not completely outta line for him to do.

But it is only going to help Trump, not hurt him.

Slacker

I don't know, either way it helps him. "Screw Muslims" gets a "Hell yeah!" from his supporters. A more human response would get a "Well he had to say that because STOOPID POLITICAL CORRECTNESS."

Don't want to play my hand on this too much but there's somewhat of a difference between stephen hawking saying the universe can come from nothing and a preacher saying it was all because of God, wouldn't you say

I think this is a case where "theory" actually does work with the colloquial definition.

We don't know that there was nothing before that, or that it came from nothing. In fact, there are variations that say that the universe contracts and explodes again. So the Big Bang wouldn't really be the beginning, just the earliest that we can find evidence of.

That all said, this is interpreting the evidence rather than taking something on faith-- that's the difference. It's fair to say that the big Bang theory is in flux and we're still developing what we know.

benjipwns

Banned
Seems to me that people want a Superman to fix their perceived problems..
This is the end result of decades of the Imperial Presidency and its supporters.

Its part and parcel with the same people conservatives were mocking about how Obama was going to pay for gas in their car.

The President is the nation, he controls all with speeches. All is his fault, all is his doing, all is within his hands. Not stopping disasters? His dereliction. Bad economy? His fault. Good economy? His doing. Mr. Gorbachev tearing down that wall? His will.

Wilson got what he wanted in terms of how we treat the office with these debates and attention and wishes and dreams in public appearances, but he still lost on the abolishing of checks and balances and bureaucracy that still undermine his wished for personal dictatorship that would "lead the people."

Even the politicians who want the office don't seem to realize how much they've bought into the mythology of it. So you're left with both W. and Obama, once in office, lamenting how much easier and better it'd be if they were dictators rather than a nominally co-equal branch of government.

If you think Ted Cruz is disgusting now, wait until you see his "leadership" in the shutdown fight next week. He's counting on this to rocket him to the White House. The logic behind this is a little confusing, so let me walk you guys through it:
* A large percentage of Americans do not want a government shutdown.
* An unpopular shutdown will likely cause permanent damage to the eventual Republican nominee, and indeed to the Republican Party in general.
* The shutdown threat is over money that doesn't go to abortions (which is banned by federal law), but rather to all of the other important services that Planned Parenthood provides to people who need it the most. In fact...
* If Planned Parenthood is defunded, the abortion rate would almost certainly *increase*, as less access to contraceptive care of course leads to more unplanned pregnancies.

Wait, crap. That didn't explain his logic at all. This one may be over my head. Let me try again:
* The twelve people in his immediate circle Ted Cruz speaks to on a regular basis all think this is a good idea.
* Everyone hates the government as much as Ted Cruz so they'll welcome a shutdown.
* Most people want abortion to be illegal, as far as Ted Cruz knows.
This is the Republican Bubble at its most impenetrable. I'm looking forward to the entirely avoidable trainwreck that's coming.

Far too complex.
It's just a matter of "will a radical position here be welcomed by my base? y/n. If y, take radical position".

I listen to her sometimes for fun, but if I heard something interesting that might *possibly* have credibility on her show, I'd go source it elsewhere.

User1608

Banned
I read a whole lot of wishing and nothing. In regards to being PC, his supporters hate it, but the moment you call them racist for saying clearly racist things, they become so indignant. Happened a while back, and my response is always I'm calling it as it is! Quiets them up, heh. Also, lol at somebody crying when Obama was elected.

The "liberal" guy is fascinating. I'm glad he's progressive on social issues, but other than that he sounds like a typical neocon dickhead, obsessed with appearing like a hard ass to the rest of the world and compelled by Trump's wannabe-tough-guy, "we don't win anymore", "we're always out-negotiated" bullshit.

On top of that, he doesn't explain his stance and he can't describe what it is Trump is going to do to accomplish all the shit he talks about, because Trump himself never says it. What a buffoon.

I think this is a case where "theory" actually does work with the colloquial definition.

We don't know that there was nothing before that, or that it came from nothing. In fact, there are variations that say that the universe contracts and explodes again. So the Big Bang wouldn't really be the beginning, just the earliest that we can find evidence of.

That all said, this is interpreting the evidence rather than taking something on faith-- that's the difference. It's fair to say that the big Bang theory is in flux and we're still developing what we know.

The argument about what happened before the big bang is not a part of the theory of the big bang. The big bang is a Theory that explains how all of the stuff in the universe right now came to be, not about the stuff that may have existed before the big bang.

The evidence in support of big bang model itself is pretty conclusive, regardless of the origins of universe.

People are conflating two ideas here. One is the theory of the origins of the universe, of which many theoretical models could apply, including the big bang. The other is the Big Bang Theory itself.

The Big Bang Theory model does not subscribe to the colloquial definition of the word 'theory'. The theory of the origins of the universe, or the singularity is closer to the colloquial usage of the term. And even then, with the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle and the total energy of the universe being 0, among other things, it is certainly possible that the universe came from nothing.

The false equivalence of scientists taking a leap of faith just like creationists are is only spewed from pure ignorance, of which I'm not too keen to tolerate.

You could probably round up a decent number of regular GAFfers who mostly agree with him.

As i've said before, it's a good thing that Trump started with all the racist stuff, because republicans sure as hell don't have exclusivity to the key Idiot demographic that Trump appeals to.

benjipwns

Banned
HILLARY DOOMEDED: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/hillary-clinton02016-unions-delay-endorsements-213922
Two major unions have decided to delay endorsements in the presidential race -- a move labor insiders attribute in part to the uncertainty Vice President Joe Biden’s potential run has inserted into the Democratic primary.

The decisions are a setback for Hillary Clinton, who has been courting the labor giants in the hopes of an early lock down of two powerhouse unions that can organize millions of members and resources on the ground. And they come against the backdrop of a Clinton campaign show of force -- in terms of establishment donors, delegates and endorsements -- as Biden weighs his options. Adding the support of two of the most muscular unions now would have sent a powerful message there is little room in the race for the vice president.

The executive board of the 2-million strong Service Employees International Union gathered on Sept. 16 and 17 for meetings where many had been expecting an endorsement for Clinton, according to union insiders, although a vote was not on the schedule. The board of American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees -- the country’s largest public employee union, which endorsed Clinton in 2007 and has been expected to do so this year -- also held meetings in Washington, D.C., on Monday and Tuesday this week that presented an occasion for AFSCME to endorse.

Both unions, however, chose to put off any decision and remain uncommitted in the 2016 race. "We are determined to take the time necessary to make sure every voice is heard," an AFSCME official told POLITICO.

Supporters of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders hailed the delay as a victory, and attributed it as much to Biden’s influence on the race from the sidelines as Sanders’ momentum.

“The hesitation on their part is likely due as much to Bernie as to Biden -- he throws uncertainty into the mix,” said Rand Wilson, communications director for SEIU local 888 in Boston, who personally supports Sanders. “This gives more time for the supporters of Sanders to work hard to win their national leadership’s support. It’s very positive.”

This is something that has been gnawing at me ever since that jacobin article about Sanders not running for governor, but... why would people like Sanders and RuPaul prefer to stay in the senate for term after term instead of having a go at governing?

One line of thinking would be "because they'd lose, duh", but that particular uphill battle hasn't prevented them from seeking a presidential nom, so... why?

benjipwns

Banned
This is something that has been gnawing at me ever since that jacobin article about Sanders not running for governor, but... why would people like Sanders and RuPaul prefer to stay in the senate for term after term instead of having a go at governing?

One line of thinking would be "because they'd lose, duh", but that particular uphill battle hasn't prevented them from seeking a presidential nom, so... why?
Gary%20Johnsonx-large.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
He was Governor of New Mexico for two terms. He's refused to be a GOP NM Senate candidate (he polls really well in the state) because he doesn't consider himself cut out to be a legislator saying he'd be frustrated just sitting there watching shit like the Patriot Act get renewed against his lone vote or his vote with two or three others over and over and over again on every issue.

That's why Ron Paul left the House for a while, feeling like he was accomplishing nothing of any value.

Johnson's running for President again though, for whatever reason, despite:
Gary Johnson said:
I don’t have any delusions about the process. In retrospect, 90 percent of the time I spent [trying to become president] ended up to be wasted time.
*swoons*

He's also considered running for Governor again.

Bernie's platform has always been a matter of national concern rather than state, so it makes sense that he'd stay in congress to work on legislation that helps to change the country for the better.

He probably figures that if he wants to be even more effective at this, he'll need to have a presidential platform in order to inspire the American people to influence the legislation that he wants to get passed.

ivysaur12

Banned
#DemsInDisarray

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...ll-leads-iowa-clinton-in-good-shape.html#more

(Iowa)

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton is in pretty good shape. She leads with 43% to 22% for Bernie Sanders, 17% for Joe Biden, 3% for Martin O'Malley and Jim Webb, and 2% for Lincoln Chafee. Among Biden's voters 43% say Clinton would be their second choice to only 15% for Sanders. Reallocate them to their second choice and Clinton would lead Sanders 50/25, almost identical to the 52/25 lead we found for her last month when we didn't include Biden.

Sanders does lead Clinton 49/33 among voters describing themselves as 'very liberal.' But Clinton has substantial advantages over Sanders with 'somewhat liberal' voters (56/16) and moderates (38/16), both of which are larger ideological groups than the 'very liberal.' Biden actually finishes ahead of Sanders with both of those groups as well. Clinton has a large lead over Sanders with women (48/19), while it is narrower with men (36/28). And while younger voters are almost evenly split (33% Clinton, 32% Sanders) she has a large lead with seniors (49/15).

I found out that nc reps make 150k min and if they serve one term they get that salary for the rest of their lives. How can politicians hate social security bUT they have alternate pension systems like this?

benjipwns

Banned
I found out that nc reps make 150k min and if they serve one term they get that salary for the rest of their lives. How can politicians hate social security bUT they have alternate pensign systems like this?
I'm not sure you get how this whole politics thing works.

I'd just like to say: as much as I think Donald Trump is a dishonest, fake, wannabe tool with a questionable moral compass and the emotional disposition of a child, I simply cannot deny that his hat-throwing game is on POINT

http://i.imgur.com/nkBsMdK.gifv

Dude's wrist flick, spin-time and arch is pro level (made this from that sham of an event on the war ship.)

The false equivalence of scientists taking a leap of faith just like creationists are is only spewed from pure ignorance, of which I'm not too keen to tolerate.

This is the meat, and I agree.

I did tangent off to the idea that the origins of the universe, and what if anything came before the big bang aren't exactly nailed down. That's on me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd just like to say: as much as I think Donald Trump is a dishonest, fake, wannabe tool with a questionable moral compass and the emotional disposition of a child, I simply cannot deny that his hat-throwing game is on POINT

http://i.imgur.com/nkBsMdK.gifv

Dude's wrist flick, spin-time and arch is pro level (made this from that sham of an event on the war ship.)

The man's an insane billionaire, he probably had nothing to do for a couple weeks and taught himself how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom