• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
This is getting off topic, but I would never troll. That's incredibly immature and narcissistic. Though I suppose the distinction is meaningless if the thread gets derailed.

That's not what I mean. I appreciate having more people around who have points of view not already well-represented in this thread (like you with your support for Bernie Sanders). I have no doubt that you're being sincere. (I also don't mind the tangential topics of discussion.)

But if you were actually me posting the things you're saying, that would be trolling (by me as you).

Tarkus

How much would people doubt me if I claimed brainchild as my alt troll account?

Also,

1. Something something essays.

2. Something something separate thread something something not politics.

3. Something something something.
Shots fired. Stay tuned for more breaking news.

That's not what I mean. I appreciate having more people around who have points of view not already well-represented in this thread (like you with your support for Bernie Sanders). I have no doubt that you're being sincere. (I also don't mind the tangential topics of discussion.)

But if you were actually me posting the things you're saying, that would be trolling (by me as you).

Ah, gotcha. Well thank you for that. I'm certainly enjoying engaging in discussion with you guys here. Definitely one of the better quality forums I've had the pleasure of being a part of so far.

HylianTom

Banned
Am I bad I like fallon more? I liked Colbert but I feel his new shows feels to big for him alone he needs a sidekick.

Nah, it just boils down to personal preference.

I'm liking this pattern that Colbert is settling into. And he pushes my buttons in certain joke topics, pop culture references, etc. (For example, I'm more likely to get a Henry Kissinger joke or a My Fair Lady joke with Colbert, and I love that about him.)

Ben Carson is stopping down the street from me tomorrow. Will be the second candidate I've covered for work (counting Kasich as governor as the first one)

Yeah, but the state does engage in this on a much more massive scale.
KfB9PFS.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
but seriously nobody is here to read your 2K word post in the middle of a 100 page thread. make your point and move on. obnoxious af.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Am I bad I like fallon more? I liked Colbert but I feel his new shows feels to big for him alone he needs a sidekick.

I wouldn't say I like Fallon "more" but Colbert is definitely way more vanilla than before (which, I know, I know, is supposed to be the point, but still).

On the plus side his interview with Cruz was pretty good.

benjipwns

Banned
CPhpbkOWsAAZxMS.png:large

Unmentioned, however, is that Crow is far from a Hitler admirer, and that these items are a small part of Crow’s massive collection of historical artifacts. At times, that collection has included items such as Frederick Douglass’ Bible, the doodles of President Abraham Lincoln, President George Washington’s 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation, and statues of communist icons such as Lenin and Che Guevara.

Making the notion that Crow has any ties to Hitler even more absurd is the fact that his mother, Margaret Crow, was nearly killed by the Nazis.

She survived the sinking of the British SS Athenia, which was the first British ship attacked by the Nazi U-boats. Crow owns multiple artifacts from the SS Athenia, as well.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/park-cities/headlines/20150403-why-is-harlan-crow-building-a-garage-fit-for-77-cars.ece said:
The Harlan Crow Library is in a wing of Crow’s mansion. It holds thousands of rare books, manuscripts and artwork related to American politics, science and literature. It has a small stage where children can perform or act out skits, Crow said. A full-time librarian and a part-time librarian work at the library, he said.

“I have what I hope is a very fine collection of manuscripts and books pertaining to American history. And to the extent that I can share that with people from the area in a way that is educational and enjoyable, then I feel like I’ve done a good thing,” he said. “And that has been and continues to be what I want to do.”
…

Over the past 40 years, Crow has collected thousands of documents, manuscripts and works of art that span centuries. “Many people have their own hobbies and have vocations,” he said. “American history is mine.”

Among his favorites, Crow counts an Abraham Lincoln syllogism about the evils of slavery, a copy of Poor Richard’s Almanac and a letter written in 1493 by Christopher Columbus, after his first trip to the New World. The collection has paintings by Renoir and Monet and by Winston Churchill, Adolf Hitler and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

A sculpture garden includes likenesses of Churchill and Margaret Thatcher, the late British prime minister.

It also has busts of dictators, including Russian communist leader Vladimir Lenin, Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and Yugoslav dictator Josip Broz Tito. Crow has said the collection is not intended as a celebration of repressive regimes but to preserve a part of world history.

…
Crow said he enjoys sharing pieces of history with friends, scholars and students. He said he’s always searching for new treasures, with the help of dealers and auction houses. On a recent trip to England, he discovered a document printed in July 1776 as ordered by the Constitutional Convention. He plans to add it to the collection.

gg dws

Well, I can never resist elongating a discussion unrelated to a thread's ostensive subject. Before responding however, I want to make something clear. We can and should be able to discuss philosophy and science without assuming it's a zero sum adversarial game between the religious and the secular. I have and will continue to take positions that will be adverse to certain philosophical or scientific points of view, but that need not be an endorsement of religion or an indictment of science.

David Hume famously revisited the problem of induction, but this was not a secret attempt to justify religious thought, it was simply an intellectual exercise. I would like to think we can use the word faith in our vocabulary without raising swords in protest; it need not stand for anything other than its normal definition of 'confidence or trust in something without proof', proof in the stricter sense here (proof =/= evidence). Now then, moving on to the actual post.

First, let me just say that I have already addressed PD's argument. It was fallacious, and I have explained why it was fallacious. He constructed a false equivalency by implying that scientists just implicitly trust that eternal nothingness just somehow suddenly brought life into existence. It's utterly ridiculous. The journey towards the existence of life was long and arduous, not sudden, and did not come from pure nothingness.

I now see that you have clarified what you believe to be his underlying point, but I have already addressed this as well, though maybe I should elucidate.

I often go back to the transcript and will do so here.

Can't say I disagree about the Big Bang. Lots of faith involved in the proposition that something existed out of nothing, and that nothingness suddenly exploded into life. There's no real difference between "well God existed forever" and "well the nothingness existed forever"

Clearly there's not perfect synchronization of vocabulary nor expertise in subject matter, so we should keep our expectations in check when reading into what the poster meant. I think the last sentence provides a much better sense of insight into the central issue that is trying to be expressed, so although I understand the desire to talk about the cosmic calendar and whether life's appearance was relatively fast or slow, I don't see that as central to what's being said.

It would seem that your point is that if quantum fluctuations are not necessitated by causation, then neither is God. The truth is that in theory, that could very well be true. However, the difference lies within getting to the point where it would be reasonable to make such a conclusion. You see, this isn't just about two hypothetical situations being theoretically possible. One is based on evidence and the scientific method, the other is based on faith. In order for us to be able to determine which is based on what, we must analyze the contexts for each scenario.

My point was to warn people about the very important differences between scientific vocabulary and 'normal' or philosophical vocabulary. I never even mentioned God in that original post at all. Nor did I try to argue that quantum fluctuations are not necessitated by causation, quite the opposite, see the bolded below. What I tried to do was highlight why the word causation may not be the most accurate word for expressing the scientific meaning, but that even under the classical definition it could still fit.

For a particle to emerge from the quantum vacuum necessitates the existence of those physical states, but such conditions are not sufficient for the particle to exist (in terms of guaranteeing the event's occurrence). The appearance of the particle might be spontaneous and unpredictable, but not uncaused in the classical sense.

Back to you.

To say that virtual particles have likely always existed is not blind faith, it is a logical conclusion based on empirical evidence that has not been refuted by counter-evidence thus far. There is no evidence to date to suggest that there was ever a time when nothingness did not contain virtual particles. So to explain what gave rise to quantum fluctuations in the first place would be to presume that there was a point in time where nothingness did not have quantum fluctuations. Again, there is no evidence to suggest that that has ever been the case.

When you say logical here, I think what might be more accurate is 'reasonable'. I may be overthinking this, but logical carries connotations of formal argument and binary states for conclusions. There is a difference between 'you must conclude' and 'you could conclude'. Let's assume that I am overthinking that point and deal with the substance.

Unfortunately this is impossible to succinctly respond to because we're implicitly getting into A and B theories of time here (and thus getting into natural logical impossibilities depending on our frame of reference) and you're misusing the word nothingness again in an important way that I don't care to retread. We would also do well to distinguish between metaphysical evidence and observational evidence, which I brought up before, and whether we're talking about evidence for quantum mechanics versus quantum cosmology. To imply that theories of quantum cosmology have the same kind of robust observational evidence as other scientific subjects, or to conflate QM with QC as if they are interchangeable, is simply disingenuous.

And more to the point, well, I hate to break it to you but you are still committing the error of question begging as it relates to the central point of the discussion (which was not about the plausibility of certain models of the universe's origin). But don't take my word for it, here's noted physicist and cosmologist Alan Guth's rather cheeky phrasing of the issue:

“In this context, a proposal that the universe was created from empty space is no more fundamental than a proposal that the universe was spawned by a piece of rubber. It might be true, but one would still want to ask where the piece of rubber came from”

Some more talk from Guth about the origin of physical laws:

"One theory is that there are no laws of physics, that there are only properties of matter," Guth says. "According to this view, if there is no matter, then there are no properties."

"If you bang two electrons together with enough energy, you produce protons. If there are no independent laws, then all the properties of protons must somehow be 'known' by the electrons. By extension every elementary particle must carry around enough information to produce the entire universe. I find that difficult to believe."

Guth adds that quantum theory holds that objects can appear and disappear according to specific laws, and the behavior of an absent object is just as predictable as the behavior of a present one.

"If laws are just properties of objects," he says, "how can those laws continue to operate when the object is not really there?"

Now I would like to think that you don't think Guth is advocating for God or religious thought by merely expressing these ideas or lines of reasoning. And even if he was, the possible motivations or implications of theories or criticisms does not necessarily bear on their validity. Hawking for example, has been pretty upfront about his preference for certain models precisely because they avoid the theological implications in the Standard Models but that doesn't mean we toss them out.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post because it's contingent on assuming I'm making a religious argument and it's merely a continual rephrasing of an issue we already tried to express to you without success. You are free to have the last word however.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I'm liking it more that he's basically starting to turn it back into the Colbert Report. I think he's starting to realize his comedy revolves around satirical egotistical ignorance, and he can use that even if he's not specifically playing a Bill O'Reilly character.

Fallon plays it too soft when it comes to politics, but he's definitely way better for non political stuff.

benjipwns

Banned
I didn't see why he couldn't drop the conservative pundit aspects of the character and keep the rest.

It's not like regular Late Show viewers are unfamiliar with an overly egotistical host.

Well, I can never resist elongating a discussion unrelated to a thread's ostensive subject. Before responding however, I want to make something clear. We can and should be able to discuss philosophy and science without assuming it's a zero sum adversarial game between the religious and the secular. I have and will continue to take positions that will be adverse to certain philosophical or scientific points of view, but that need not be an endorsement of religion or an indictment of science.

David Hume famously revisited the problem of induction, but this was not a secret attempt to justify religious thought, it was simply an intellectual exercise. I would like to think we can use the word faith in our vocabulary without raising swords in protest; it need not stand for anything other than its normal definition of 'confidence or trust in something without proof', proof in the stricter sense here (proof =/= evidence). Now then, moving on to the actual post.

I often go back to the transcript and will do so here.

Clearly there's not perfect synchronization of vocabulary nor expertise in subject matter, so we should keep our expectations in check when reading into what the poster meant. I think the last sentence provides a much better sense of insight into the central issue that is trying to be expressed, so although I understand the desire to talk about the cosmic calendar and whether life's appearance was relatively fast or slow, I don't see that as central to what's being said.

My point was to warn people about the very important differences between scientific vocabulary and 'normal' or philosophical vocabulary. I never even mentioned God in that original post at all. Nor did I try to argue that quantum fluctuations are not necessitated by causation, quite the opposite, see the bolded below. What I tried to do was highlight why the word causation may not be the most accurate word for expressing the scientific meaning, but that even under the classical definition it could still fit.

Back to you.

When you say logical here, I think what might be more accurate is 'reasonable'. I may be overthinking this, but logical carries connotations of formal argument and binary states for conclusions. There is a difference between 'you must conclude' and 'you could conclude'. Let's assume that I am overthinking that point and deal with the substance.

Unfortunately this is impossible to succinctly respond to because we're implicitly getting into A and B theories of time here (and thus getting into natural logical impossibilities depending on our frame of reference) and you're misusing the word nothingness again in an important way that I don't care to retread. We would also do well to distinguish between metaphysical evidence and observational evidence, which I brought up before, and whether we're talking about evidence for quantum mechanics versus quantum cosmology. To imply that theories of quantum cosmology have the same kind of robust observational evidence as other scientific subjects, or to conflate QM with QC as if they are interchangeable, is simply disingenuous.

And more to the point, well, I hate to break it to you but you are still committing the error of question begging as it relates to the central point of the discussion (which was not about the plausibility of certain models of the universe's origin). But don't take my word for it, here's noted physicist and cosmologist Alan Guth's rather cheeky phrasing of the issue:

Some more talk from Guth about the origin of physical laws:

Now I would like to think that you don't think Guth is advocating for God or religious thought by merely expressing these ideas or lines of reasoning. And even if he was, the possible motivations or implications of theories or criticisms does not necessarily bear on their validity. Hawking for example, has been pretty upfront about his preference for certain models precisely because they avoid the theological implications in the Standard Models but that doesn't mean we toss them out.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post because it's contingent on assuming I'm making a religious argument and it's merely a continual rephrasing of an issue we already tried to express to you without success. You are free to have the last word however.

Thank you for clarifying your point of view.

I would say then, that if your argument ultimately has to do with 'question begging', that it still amounts to a false equivalency.

'Metaphysical evidence' is complete bullshit. You might as well be talking about 'Supernatural evidence' or 'magical evidence'. There is no evidence to suggest that such 'evidence' is anything more than intellectual reasoning, which is not evidence.

The problem here lies in equating the methodologies of science and religion that would bring one to a conclusion that would 'beg the question', so to speak.

With science, quantum mechanics are scrutinized under the scientific method, just like the classical sciences are. It may ultimately result in question begging, but that is due to a flaw in human intellectual reasoning, not because the evidence is inconclusive. If our empirical observation of nature itself is what's responsible for the question begging, then that's absolutely acceptable. That's what makes the scientific method so awesome; it doesn't always give us answers that are best suited to the limitations of our understanding. Nevertheless, the method allows us to arrive at objective conclusions without being influenced by confirmation bias.

With religion, it's pure ideology. There's no reasoning based on objectivity, just blind acceptance at worst, or reasoning solely from personal subjective experience at best, which is susceptible to confirmation bias. Question begging in and of itself isn't the problem. The problem arises when you've drawn conclusions that beg the question without having any evidence that demonstrates the premise of your argument in the first place. It's fallacious argumentation. Saying that God could have always existed may be begging the question, but that statement itself isn't the problem. It's the fact that there is no empirical evidence for the existence of God to formulate a premise based on the existence of God in the first place.

Very different contexts, and when you conflate those contexts, you end up with false equivalencies.

If we're defining faith as trusting in the reality of something without 'proof', then sure, both scientists and believers do this. However, one group has demonstrated with evidence why they do, and the other group has not. The very different methodologies behind their conclusions would suggest that their reasoning is not the same. If their reasoning is not the same, the validity of their conclusions should not be considered to be the same. If the validity of their conclusions are not the same, then it would be disingenuous to say that both scientists and believers rely on faith, since while technically you could argue that that's true, 'faith' means totally different things to both groups of people, even with the same definition of the word.

Anyway, I'm done with the argument here. I've done my best to explain why there's a false equivalency, and unless the premise of the argument is based on something else, I have nothing else to say on the subject.

EDIT:

I'm a biology major and remember doing extracurricular reading on quantum and all that shit. Much respect. Bless your soul :p

I forgot to get back to you since I was focused on responding to the discussion, but I just wanted to say that I think it's cool that you majored in biology.

The general apathy towards science in general these days is pretty troubling, so it's always refreshing to come across people who take it seriously.

Best of luck to you!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
9EhgV2h.gif

Conservative catholics running from the pope

ARLINGTON, Va.— Jacquelyn Dupuy attends Mass every Sunday, as well as several days during the week. She gives daily lessons on the catechism to her two young children. And on the first date with her now-husband, she quizzed him about his views on abortion.

But she won’t be among the throngs crossing the Potomac River to see the pope during his time in Washington, D.C., this week. Because of her deep faith, she says, Ms. Dupuy is troubled by Pope Francis’ relaxed disposition when it comes to controversial topics such as homosexuality, contraception and divorce.

Conservative Catholics Greet Pope With Unease

He's not MY pope!

Bernie's platform has always been a matter of national concern rather than state, so it makes sense that he'd stay in congress to work on legislation that helps to change the country for the better.

He probably figures that if he wants to be even more effective at this, he'll need to have a presidential platform in order to inspire the American people to influence the legislation that he wants to get passed.

While that works on a theoretical sense, the problem is that "legislation that changes the country for the better" is too... eh a term. Taking for example Colorado, a state can alter something and have such a massive impact in it that it'll facilitate the transition in others, thus facilitating a country-wide change for the better. In seeking the greater solution (or heck, even a minor solution, given current trends), he denies the people in his state something more readily attainable, and does this while being fully aware that he has a monstrous battle with little chance of success ahead.

Seems a case of letting a very relative and unlikely perfect be the enemy of a far more concrete good.

Plus he already had mayoral experience, so the transition would make sense.

Becomes even weirder in the case of RuPaul. Dude was getting nearly nothing done with his seat.

benjipwns

Banned
So Kasich = Zach Randolph, and Rubio = David Lee?
I can't even fathom what this means. All I know is that it will be...soft on defense?

Becomes even weirder in the case of RuPaul. Dude was getting nearly nothing done with his seat.
He liked questioning the Federal Reserve members.

Seriously, I think it's End The Fed where he says it's most rewarding part of his job after constituent services. (So it's actually the most rewarding.)

He also left out putting the family on the payroll.

While that works on a theoretical sense, the problem is that "legislation that changes the country for the better" is too... eh a term. Taking for example Colorado, a state can alter something and have such a massive impact in it that it'll facilitate the transition in others, thus facilitating a country-wide change for the better. In seeking the greater solution (or heck, even a minor solution, given current trends), he denies the people in his state something more readily attainable, and does this while being fully aware that he has a monstrous battle with little chance of success ahead.

Seems a case of letting a very relative and unlikely perfect be the enemy of a far more concrete good.

Plus he already had mayoral experience, so the transition would make sense.

Tell that to Bernie. I was just offering a possible reason for why he might have wanted to stay in Congress. That it may not have been the greatest decision is an entirely different discussion.

Another day, another poll denying the Clinton "surge". Poor ha

http://images.businessweek.com/cms/2015-09-22/150923_wednesday_2121165.pdf

Bloomberg
Clinton 33%
Biden 25%
Sanders 24%

Favorables/unfavorables tell us a very interesting story:
Clinton 70% / 25%
Biden 80% / 14%
Sanders 59% / 9%

35% of voters are "not sure" about Sanders. This "not sure" is most probably people actually not being sure of who Sanders even is, meaning there's a lot of field to grow for Sanders still.

run Biden, run!!!.

benjipwns

Banned
Does he? He makes like a hundred tweets in a row.

And this is what his speeches look like transcribed:
CLRfjaBUMAArjcM.jpg:large

It's amazing he has like six digressions all within each other and he still gets back to the original subject albeit randomly.

benjipwns

Banned
Do you usually make fun of people with ADD?

But for reals, a lot of those segments are perfect for twitter length.
Wait, you're saying his sentence construction comes from the tweets. He's adapted so strongly to the 140 character limit that he can't help but jump when he hits it, even while speaking off the cuff.

We're through the looking glass here.

User 406

Banned
When this election is over, I think I'll take the transcript of everything Trump has said over the course of it and run it through a disassociated press algorithm. Should be great fun, and will probably end up with better policy prescriptions than The Donald himself.

benjipwns

Banned
Standard. Slightly Democratic. aka Marxism–Deleonism.

Another day, another poll denying the Clinton "surge". Poor ha

http://images.businessweek.com/cms/2015-09-22/150923_wednesday_2121165.pdf

Bloomberg
Clinton 33%
Biden 25%
Sanders 24%

Favorables/unfavorables tell us a very interesting story:
Clinton 70% / 25%
Biden 80% / 14%
Sanders 59% / 9%

35% of voters are "not sure" about Sanders. This "not sure" is most probably people actually not being sure of who Sanders even is, meaning there's a lot of field to grow for Sanders still.

run Biden, run!!!.
JOEMENTIUM

User 406

Banned
When will Hillary Clinton finally admit that she knowingly hired guys who do computer stuff with full intent to have them make her life easier?

I'm liking it more that he's basically starting to turn it back into the Colbert Report. I think he's starting to realize his comedy revolves around satirical egotistical ignorance, and he can use that even if he's not specifically playing a Bill O'Reilly character.

Fallon plays it too soft when it comes to politics, but he's definitely way better for non political stuff.
Yeah. I don't like it being the Colbert report.

Everything is about politics it seems and doesn't seem as "fun"

HylianTom

Banned
I am waiting to see if any other candidates adopt his free-publicity mode of operating. He's figured out twitter's usefulness to an impressive degree. He knows that many reporters are on their Twitter feeds all day long, so he gets to share his thoughts with them as things are happening.

It also doesn't hurt him that he's damn, daaaaamn good at communicating provocatively in less than 140 characters.

The only clarification I feel I have to make is that by metaphysical evidence I still don't mean religious things, I mean things that are distinguished from physical or observational evidence. Something making sense according to a theoretical mathematical/physics model (quantum gravity/string theory) is different from observations of particular 'things'.(Casimir Effect).

More of an aside, but I also think you could describe quite a bit of human knowledge as intellectual reasoning (theoretical math/physics included) so I'm not sure that's as bad as you make it out to be.

Maledict

I am waiting to see if any other candidates adopt his free-publicity mode of operating. He's figured out twitter's usefulness to an impressive degree. He knows that many reporters are on their Twitter feeds all day long, so he gets to share his thoughts with them as things are happening.

It also doesn't hurt him that he's damn, daaaaamn good at communicating provocatively in less than 140 characters.

I don't think they can. It isn't that he's the only one using Twitter - it's that Trump comes with a megaphone far larger than anyone else's. People want to watch him and see what he does, so the press follow him. No-one cares what Jindal tweets about because he isn't trump.

Romney struggled with it in 2012 as well - just by being Trump, he can dominate the media narrative in the USA more than almost anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom