• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumbob

image.php

Thoughts?

Not sure if it's been in the thread yet, but Hillary just sent out this letter -
Friend --

I wanted you to hear this directly from me:

Yes, I should have used two email addresses, one for personal matters and one for my work at the State Department. Not doing so was a mistake. I'm sorry about it, and I take full responsibility.

It's important for you to know a few key facts. My use of a personal email account was aboveboard and allowed under the State Department's rules. Everyone I communicated with in government was aware of it. And nothing I ever sent or received was marked classified at the time.

As this process proceeds, I want to be as transparent as possible. That's why I've provided all of my work emails to the government to be released to the public, and why I'll be testifying in public in front of the Benghazi Committee later next month.

I know this is a complex story. I could have -- and should have -- done a better job answering questions earlier. I'm grateful for your support, and I'm not taking anything for granted.

I understand that you may have more questions, and I am going to work to keep answering them. If you want to read more, including my emails themselves, please go here: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/hillarys-emails-four-sentences/

Thank you,
Hillary

Ben Carson just said that Christians deserve more rights than other people because the country was founded on Christian beliefs.

Suck my dick, asshole.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He either takes every possible position on an issue or none at all.

But I guess there's still some time for him. People don't really care if anyone has a plan on stuff by now. Problem is that winning Iowa or South Carolina during the primaries doesn't hinge on our policy towards the refugee crisis, sadly. But by the time the general election debate rolls around, yeah he better be on his toes.

That's what I originally thought too, but we're already past the first debate. There's not that much time left before Walker has to start treating himself as a serious candidate. What's he going to do, wait until he's sitting with Perry and Sanatorium in the polls before he remembers there's a campaign he's supposed to be running?

User1608

Banned
Ben Carson just said that Christians deserve more rights than other people because the country was founded on Christian beliefs.

Suck my dick, asshole.
UGH. Fuck this man. Everybody deserves equality and a chance, not just some segment of the population. So Christian of him.

Y'know, given how effective Trump's Make America Great Again! slogan has been, i wonder what made him give up on The Silent Majority.

UGH. Fuck this man. Everybody deserves equality and a chance, not just some segment of the population. So Christian of him.

And all they gotta do to get equality and a chance is convert to Christianity, which anyone can do. Plus you save your soul in the process. Can't see a problem with his logic.

Racist dad on Facebook: "The Syrian crisis shows how generous white people are. What are the Muslims doing, nothing! Hungary hates the refugees and they're a Muslim nation."

Me: "Literally all of that is wrong."

Dad: "Politicians just can't get it right!"

It scares me that my dad is a white supremacist, but he's got no courage at least.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Scott Walker said:
“I'm not president today and I can't be president today,” the Republican presidential candidate and Wisconsin governor said when asked by ABC News during a press gaggle on Monday what he would to address the current refugee crisis if he were president currently. “Everybody wants to talk about hypotheticals; there is no such thing as a hypothetical.”

Indeed, Mr Walker. How inappropriate it is to ask Presidential candidates what they would do or do differently were they in office.

Stand firm, don't answer hypotheticals, and just speak to your historical factual record of performan... oh.

edit: Slightly more seriously...the last election for this seat had 11,000 votes. This one had less than 5,000. Whenever the voter difference is that strong, you can assume that only people who felt very strongly turned out -- and that probably always favors the outsider candidate, especially in a state that's already heavily dominated by one party.

Oklahoma's economy is really hurting from the oil price collapse. Angry voters are going to sting someone and this time its the Republican who pays.

Indeed, Mr Walker. How inappropriate it is to ask Presidential candidates what they would do or do differently were they in office.

Stand firm, don't answer hypotheticals, and just speak to your historical factual record of performan... oh.
Well he denied hypotheticals were a real thing. So checkmate!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Y'know, given how effective Trump's Make America Great Again! slogan has been, i wonder what made him give up on The Silent Majority.

Has he? If so, I guess it's because his silent majority isn't so silent anymore.

User 406

Banned
Gov. Walker knows it's time to stop with all the what-ifs and get back to traditional American views like not recognizing object permanence.

Teggy

There's no such thing as a hypothetical? What does that even mean? Is it not even in the dictionary? I need to check this out...

Wow, so much coverage in right wing newspapers about the terror attack on Planned Parenthood over the weekend. /s

Remember when Walker was a frontrunner

Or Jeb!

Trump vs. Carson vs. Cruz vs. Rubio now.

Facism vs. Theocracy vs. Theocracy vs. Some okay ideas but holy fuck we'll be at war with every nation in the Middle East and against women forever.

Jeb didn't do himself any favors on Colbert tonight. How this guy has a chance of winning the primary is beyond me. And I had him pegged for it.

kess

Jeb probably expected to get roasted tonight. i'm not sure if he would have expected any different, after that Colbert video the other night.

He's having a hard time pulling himself out of campaign mode and acting natural -- it's going to be interesting how Biden and Sanders comport themselves.

watershed

Banned
I'm not sure I like this new Colbert. He doesn't seem as sharp as the character Stephen Colbert.

Jeb probably expected to get roasted tonight. i'm not sure if he would have expected any different, after that Colbert video the other night.

He's having a hard time pulling himself out of campaign mode and acting natural -- it's going to be interesting how Biden and Sanders comport themselves.

Jeb joked about that video and his campaign said they had permission from Colbert and CBS to run the 3 dollar guest contest. That was likely an inside joke and not a surprise.

A glimmer of hope. That seat hasn't been held by a Dem since 1965 iirc.

Don't worry, if the past few cycles have shown us anything, it's that there's no contest a Democratic Candidate can't throw. I'm sure they'll go with someone impressively horrible who will run yet another failed campaign separating himself from Obama and riding those Center-Right positions like a boss.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Walker was a frontrunner

Yes, I once thought him the biggest threat. I'm absolutely speechless at how terrible he's been. He's so much more horrible of a campaigner than I ever expected.

He's good when he's practiced up on the thing he's supposed to talk about, but it turns out the things he's been able to practice up on are extremely limited.

I'm not sure I like this new Colbert. He doesn't seem as sharp as the character Stephen Colbert.

Yeah, he's about as biting as Letterman was, which is less biting than the original Colbert was. Don't want to judge too much on the first show though.

Either way, he's still way funnier than Letterman ever was.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Suck my dick, asshole.

I need the context and the quote. That is an absolutely asinine statement.

But Adelson is also said to be conflicted about the various potential Trump-slayers. Scott Walker, despite intensive lobbying efforts, is viewed by many close to Adelson as insufficiently serious about Israel and foreign policy. (“Look, he’s the governor of Wisconsin,” says Morton Klein, the president of the Adelson-backed Zionist Organization of America. “He knows about cheese and cutting pensions.”) Rubio is a personal favorite but might lack the necessary ruthlessness to take out The Donald. Ted Cruz, meanwhile, is well positioned to appeal to the same GOP primary voters Trump’s currently energizing, but he is probably too conservative to beat Hillary.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/09/sheldon-adelson-is-ready-to-buy-the-presidency.html

that guy sounds like a shrill neogaf poster!

do read the whole piece, though. great stuff on jeb! vs adelson, and how completely ensnared the GOP has become to the foreign policy demands of jewish republicans.

thefro

There were a couple tough but fair questions that aired. Colbert could have completely destroyed him but had no reason to do that when Jeb was having trouble giving good answers.

I know it's a tough situation since Jeb was on a show with an audience that was probably mostly liberals, yet he's trying to run hard to the right to keep up with Trump. But you have to have a better answer than that for the "What's the difference between you and your brother policy-wise?" question.

I did feel like he came off as a good sport and that he had a sense of humor, but if you can't do that on one of these shows you're in trouble. Most politicians have to be able to at least fake that already to get elected in the first place.

Tamanon

Banned
It amazes me that this deep in the Primary Jeb still doesn't have a way to differentiate himself from his brother. That should be answer number one his guys came up with.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/hillary-clinton-iran-nuclear-israel-213429

“I support this deal. I support it as part of a larger strategy toward Iran. By now, the outcome of the deal in Congress is no longer in much doubt,” Clinton is expected to say during Wednesday's speech, which will note that the deal does not imply a normalization of relations with Iran. “So we’ve got to start looking ahead to what comes next: enforcing it, deterring Iran and its proxies, and strengthening our allies."

During the address, Clinton is expected to reaffirm the importance of the Persian Gulf to the United States, promising to keep the Strait of Hormuz open and to expand the American military presence in the area. This plank of her proposal also includes a plan to bolster intelligence sharing and missile defense to American allies in the gulf.

“We need to be clear-eyed about what we can expect from Iran,” she will say. “This isn’t the start of some broader diplomatic opening. And we shouldn’t expect that this deal will lead to a broader change in their behavior. That shouldn’t be a premise for proceeding."

Clinton’s plan also calls for upping American support for Israeli rocket and missile defenses, as well as intelligence sharing, on top of improved tunnel detection technology.

And she will pledge to enforce and perhaps expand American human rights sanctions on Iran, mentioning the country’s detention of its political prisoners. But it might be too hawkish for very liberal voters.

Singling out Hezbollah, Clinton will also say she plans to back a coalition countering Iranian proxies. The plan calls for pushing both Turkey and Qatar to cease their financial support of Hamas, as well as encouraging American partners to stop Iranian planes from entering their airspace on the way to Yemen and Syria. And, she will say, she would be open to bolstering sanctions on Iran’s terrorism sponsorship and arms distributions to countries like North Korea.

Finally, the fifth plank of Clinton’s proposal includes a plan to invest more in local diplomacy and to provide material assistance to other countries in the region to help them defend their borders and create systems to guard against terrorism.

She will also say she wants to help those who have been displaced by the upheaval in the region.

I think that concerning her foreign policy views she is capable of getting quite a few people on board, likely a few Republicans.

dabig2

Warhawk clinton is warhawk. Nothing we didn't already know I guess. But increased american presence, more israel ballwashing, and encouraging a mini cold war with Iran had me grimacing. We've learned nothing these last 60 years; we tend to make these sectarian/tribal conflicts worse. Hopefully Hilldawg will keep her bloodlust in check.

pigeon

Banned
Vox has an article today about Boehner's gavel being in danger -- the "vacate the chair" discussion I brought up last thread.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/9/9288373/john-boehner-coup-meadows

I still think this would be a disaster for the GOP. Boehner's a very effective speaker in terms of managing what is essentially a divided coalition in a political system that doesn't allow coalitions, and I just don't think there's another figure in the GOP coalition who could get 218 votes. It would be very exciting politics, though.

HylianTom

Banned
Edit: let's re-do this post for Ivy!
giphy.gif

So there may be, uhh, interesting news coming soon from the Senate..

It's a beautiful day outside and stuff. :p

Vox has an article today about Boehner's gavel being in danger -- the "vacate the chair" discussion I brought up last thread.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/9/9288373/john-boehner-coup-meadows

I still think this would be a disaster for the GOP. Boehner's a very effective speaker in terms of managing what is essentially a divided coalition in a political system that doesn't allow coalitions, and I just don't think there's another figure in the GOP coalition who could get 218 votes. It would be very exciting politics, though.

The prospect makes for an interesting discussion, but the idea of him actually being removed during the term seems completely far-fetched to me.

However, I would not be surprised if he decides to step aside at the end of the term and announces his intention to do so within the next year.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/hillary-clinton-iran-nuclear-israel-213429

I think that concerning her foreign policy views she is capable of getting quite a few people on board, likely a few Republicans.
None of this is really different from Obama.

This is just the carter doctrine

Are we going to pretend that this is going to lead or war or that clinton wants war?

We did this whole charade back when the iran negotiations were just announced. There will be no war and no major change in policy. She's to the left of every GOP candidate on these issues (even paul)

Unless people expected sanctions on Israel, friendly relations with the ayatollah and removal of all military bases I don't know what is disappointing about this.

This is the same policy as Obama more clearly stated

"I will not hesitate to take military action if Iran tries to obtain a nuclear weapon," the former secretary of state said. "Should it become necessary in the future, having exhausted peaceful alternatives, to turn to military force, we will have preserved and in some cases enhanced our capacity to act."

Its the same policy that Obama has had since his campaign!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom