• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no I have clinical depression, I didn't mean to disparage the mentally ill but just to highlight that there's seriously something messed up with his speech patterns/tweet content.

I was thinking of that in the context that maybe this doesn't hurt you as it did say, vs. George W. Bush who was religious on the face like crazy.

Say that in 2004 your split among the religious was 30% Social Gospel/25% Moderate/45% Moral Majority. But now it's more like 35% Social Gospel/40% Moderate/25% Moral Majority simply due to generational changes. We know even among highly religious millennials they're far more tolerant of things like homosexuals, transgendered, etc. even if they're more pro-life. I think that puts a greater chunk of people into the Moderate category, which comparatively would make the Social Gospel chunk relatively stronger.

Trump was pro-choice for 30 years, he converted in 2011. And he couldn't out-God anyone to save himself probably.

Maybe I wouldn't send Hillary, the devil incarnate out there, but it seems like an ideal vote suppressor in a lot of these potential red state-swing states. Anonymous mailers from completely unaffiliated and non-coordinating PACs. Trump has to have all sorts of garbage he's said. Especially in the 80s and 90s.

A lot of those megachurches have large Social Gospel wings. Some of those gigantic Texas ones aren't even evangelical as we'd commonly describe these days. It seems like the kind of thing you could get surrogates to at least undermine Trump in.

Like Joel Osteen and all that prosperity gospel horseshit. Those people won't mind Hillary's religious stances as much as the Moral Majority types did. Osteen even has written out homosexuality as a full sin and written in homophobia as one because it makes him more money. He refuses to back either party clearly for similar reasons.

I'm more or less just randomly spitballing here, like you said, it's interesting it hasn't come up as much. It barely even came up in the GOP Primaries of all places. I rarely see much about it on conservative blogs compared to the past. Even Hillary as an atheist doesn't get as much traction as Obama being a Muslim or John Kerry being an fake Catholic/real atheist did. Hillary being a criminal is like 80+% of it.
Hillary's campaign has been tapping into religious forces since the very beginning. For one, they've been reaching out to African American pastors for their illegal support and communities. Second Tim Kaine's big theme right before the DNC was "faith, family, and work". So she's been doing this outreach, it's just been highly targeted.

I don't know if there's any reason to target, say, white Methodists that will convince anyone who wasn't already on board.

benjipwns

Banned
You implicitly assume that white evangelical Christianity is about anything other than a holy war between Evangelical Christians and Muslims. I don't agree with that assumption.

http://www.prri.org/research/prri-brookings-immigration-report/

74% of white evangelicals think that Islam is not compatible with American values.
I don't necessarily disagree to an extent, but I don't think this is good support. Of course Christians, especially evangelicals are going to think Islam is not compatible with American values. They'd say the same about Atheism, Shinto, Buddhism, etc.

Yes, I do think evangelical Christianity is far far more than simply about battling Islam other than a fear it'll come here more. These are the people still fighting for creationism/intelligent design/etc. and for abortion restrictions and religious freedom to be exempt from laws acts. Those are what's on their plate and most important because it's a now issue. Islam is a long term, and far away (literally) issue. But if we don't stop the atheist useful idiots here at home first, we won't have a Judeo-Christian society to protect from Islam. It'll just take over as the atheist lieberals preach tolerance and multiculturalism because we can't say "under god" in our Pledges while all the lieberals BLM thugs kneel instead of saying the Pledge.

Hillary's campaign has been tapping into religious forces since the very beginning. For one, they've been reaching out to African American pastors for their illegal support and communities. Second Tim Kaine's big theme right before the DNC was "faith, family, and work". So she's been doing this outreach, it's just been highly targeted.

I don't know if there's any reason to target, say, white Methodists that will convince anyone who wasn't already on board.
I want to clarify because I'm sure it got lost in my muddle, that I was suggesting it less as a boost to Hillary and more of a downplaying excitement for Trump. There's a reason Rove got all those gay marriage bans on the ballot in 2004. And it wasn't because he gave a shit about the issue, but he knew a lot of Bush voters who would come out for that and wouldn't for solely Bush.

Surrogates can undermine Trump with religious types without necessarily needing to convert them to Hillary. Kind of a polite scorched earth deal. And that a lot of the former dealbreakers aren't there in this campaign as Trump isn't religious by any standard political use of the term, and Hillary can be mostly non-offensive on that front outside of abortion as they can still muddle the waters of her gay rights positions.

PBY

Banned
V turnt

Baked as a cake

What's happening

Kinda shook about NY but I live here and peeps are chill

Adam u real af for this engagement lmk it u have any questions just got married

Debirudog

V turnt

Baked as a cake

What's happening

Minnesotta stabbing incident with a man shouting "Allah". Panic.

benjipwns

Banned
Forget all that guys, this is going to dominate the cycle:
Eagles planning anthem demonstration on Monday night

The first Sunday of the regular season coincided with the 15th anniversary of 9/11. And while there were still some demonstrations from NFL players during the national anthem, at least one team refrained on that day — but won’t in Week Two.

“Everybody wants to be a part of it and I feel like it’s no different on our team,” Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins told Glen Macnow of WIP in Philadelphia on Friday, via CSNPhilly.com. “We got guys, especially myself, who feel very strongly about the topic. Last week, we talked about doing some stuff, but we wanted to make sure we didn’t do anything to take away from the folks, the families, that suffered from 9-11. We didn’t want to mess with that day, so we left last week alone. But moving forward, I’m sure there will be guys that will probably join in.”
Jenkins said that coach Doug Pederson is aware of the plan, and that he is “OK” with it.

benjipwns

Banned
Is there an election night thread title already?

I'll put the lame idea I just thought of here along with any others I can come up with in the immediate 90 seconds following:
"Election 2016 |OT| Gary Johnson vs. 1.1%" "Election 2016 |OT| Gary Johnson vs. 5%"
"Election 2016 |OT| Jim Gilmore 2020 Campaign Begins"
"Election 2016 |OT| Jeb's Still A Mess"
"Election 2016 |OT| Gary Johnson vs. Jill Stein For Biggest Spoiler"
"Election 2016 |OT| May The Best Man Win"
"TRUMP ELECTION 2016 |TRUMP OT| TRUMP CAMPAIGN ENDORSED BY DONALD TRUMP"
"Election 2016 |OT| Tim Kaine: All according to keikaku."
"Election 2016 |OT| Bernie Sanders defeats Rand Paul by one vote"
"Election 2016 |OT| Please proceed Governor."
"Election 2016 |OT| Dewey Defeats Truman"

ok, some of those got really bad but i had to go by the rules

Slayven

V turnt

Baked as a cake

What's happening

People are desensitize, especially when there is no death

Diablos

Well, it's inevitable and unfortunate. :/

Fuck the bombers.
There has to be a connection between the bomb in NYC and NJ even if they're saying they can't find one yet.

They also found another pressure cooker bomb in NYC, somehow, if I'm not mistaken but I'm glad they did

CsmllW4VMAEK_UT.jpg:large

Going for the moderates.

Diablos

Welp, any other news today is gonna be overshadowed by this bomb story. Don't even have suspects yet.

Interesting that it's timed with the UN session basically.

Zukkoyaki

Welp, any other news today is gonna be overshadowed by this bomb story. Don't even have suspects yet.

Interesting that it's timed with the UN session basically.
Maybe... Just maybe... They'll bring up what Trump said at his rally that wasn't confirmed in any way...

Probably not but it is the weekend and people don't watch nearly as much news.

Diablos

I think people have grown to be desensitized by Trump's bullshit, love or hate him, which is awful and sets a really bad precedent for politics. It's scary.

Kusagari

I think people have grown to be desensitized by Trump's bullshit, love or hate him, which is awful and sets a really bad precedent for politics. It's scary.

I think it's that way only because it's Trump. The fact he's seen as more of a celebrity than a politician gives him this weird immunity to much of the public where nothing sticks.

I don't see it really setting a precedent for the future when we're back to career politicians.

Diablos

Maybe not but what are the odds of them being unrelated? It just doesn't seem right.

Anyway looking at the electoral map, I hope CO, NM, NV and VA hold up and we don't have an unexpected loss in MI. We can afford to lose OH and FL in this case. Fuck Iowa.

Zukkoyaki

For those freaking out about a lack of Hillary surrogates on Sunday morning programs, Tim Kaine is going to be on State of the Union shortly.

Edit:

cartoon_solider, this was unfortunate timing on my part I swear haha

Zukkoyaki

Chris Christie is such a vile human being. I'm not watching it live but according to Twitter is spouting off about how Trump didn't help drive the Birther movement and how it had no effect on African American voters. Jesus. It's not like every media outlet possible has spent two days dropping the hammer on Trump for being a birther.

I really think I find Pence more tolerable than him. I prefer idiots over legit terrible people.

Diablos

Chris Christie is such a vile human being. I'm not watching it live but according to Twitter is spouting off about how Trump didn't help drive the Birther movement and how it had no effect on African American voters.

Jesus. It's not like every media outlet possible has spent two days dropping the hammer on Trump for being a birther.
Did you see him fail to hide his smirk when asked if he knew anything about Bridgegate? He's a shitstain and he knows it.

Dierce

Ugh I hope those affected by the expression recover and the disgraceful individual or individuals responsible are caught.

Unfortunately this also raises the odds of something similar happening shortly before the election.

Regarless of religion as a motive we know what these terrorists are trying to accomplish. They all want orange turd to win whether they are some white movement group or isil sympathisers.

Since they found unexploded devices, I'd imagine they have a lot more evidence to work with (things like fingerprints, materials not damaged). So I think they can track down the person or persons responsible quickly.

Effect

Tim Kaine is on CNN right now.

Glad he didn't allow Tapper to try and change the whole birther thing from Trump. It ultimately doesn't matter who potentially started it originally. What matters is for 5 to 6 years Trump has been championing it day in and day out and pushing it to new heights. The question really is if does he actually does believe it or did he not and still pushed it. Both answers to that are not good for him and show him to be a horrible person with horrible judgement and intelligence.

Zukkoyaki

So from what I've seen in Twitter in the past two minutes...

- Chris Christie claiming immigration isn't a major part of the Trump campaign
- Mike Pence use the "Clinton started it excuse" in an interview

and the best one...

- In response to the question "when and how did Trump become a birther?" Conway said, "You'll have to ask him that." THAT SHIT is going to come up for sure (maybe at the debates?)

Also a reporter got arrested last night at a Trump rally.

Guys, I know we're cynical but I can't see the media being friendly to the Trump campaign after this weekend.

Edit:

Awesome op-ed from the NYTimes: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/us/politics/donald-trump-presidential-race.html

Diablos

Glad he didn't allow Tapper to try and change the whole birther thing from Trump. It ultimately doesn't matter who potentially started it originally. What matters is for 5 to 6 years Trump has been championing it day in and day out and pushing it to new heights. The question really is if does he actually does believe it or did he not and still pushed it. Both answers to that are not good for him and show him to be a horrible person with horrible judgement and intelligence.
He's a great surrogate for Clinton no doubt.

Owzers

i felt like Tapper was trying to put Trump and Blumenthal as equals in the birther movement with Kaine having to answer for Sid and Chris Christie being able to lie and spin his way out of Tapper's question.

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 2m2 minutes ago

Fox News poll: 61% call HRC qualified to be POTUS; 54% call Trump not qualified; 59% say HRC has right temperament; 59% say Trump does not

Pyrokai

Guys......this bombing in NYC thst was in Chelsea at W 23rd Street.

I'm literally leaving for vacation today to arrive in NYC....in Chelsea.....at W 26th Street.

Surreal, man.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Fox News poll: 61% call HRC qualified to be POTUS; 54% call Trump not qualified; 59% say HRC has right temperament; 59% say Trump does not

"...but she's a democrat, so we can't vote for her."

Seems like the narrative HRC has been building on him is actually working. I think now is certainly the time to do more pro-Clinton ads.

Also I hope they catch the people that did this soon

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The important thing is to be smart and pay attention but not to change your plans. Fuck those people who do that shit.

Does anyone watch FOX enough to see if Clinton runs ads on it? I see them on MSNBC so often it kind of ticks me off - you're preaching to the choir there, HRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom