• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Kelly waiting for the all-important Drudge and Breitbart "polls".

I didn't watch the debate for sanity purposes, but watching these clips on MSNBC - holy shit, some of these Trump snorts are out of control. Super distracting.

And he went to some of his worst lies - everyone saw the San Bernardino bombs, he was allowed to get away with that?

Hillary didn't go for the killing blow for a simple reason.

It is a high risk gambit that can backfire, and she didn't need to take the risk. It could have changed the narrative and she didn't need to change the narrative.
And she won bigly in opinion polls anyway.

None of Trump's antics are ever going to play to a mass audience.

Joeytj

Banned
CNN focus group overwhelmingly agreed Hillary not pushing on the tape was smart. I'm happy about this.

There it is.

I think the Hillary campaign is also betting (and knows) that more Trump leaks are coming, so they figured that Hillary didn't need to get into the mud against Trump tonight, the videos will do it for them. The Bill issues didn't end up mattering and just hurt Trump more.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Only theory for the betting markets moving his way is that Trump threw enough meat out for the base that the party can't get rid of him.

Could have been people like me who bought Hillary when she was in the 60s cashing out at the market high.

They were too high. 88% was basically as high as it's going to get till election week.

mo60

Kelly waiting for the all-important Drudge and Breitbart "polls".

I didn't watch the debate for sanity purposes, but watching these clips on MSNBC - holy shit, some of these Trump snorts are out of control. Super distracting.

And he went to some of his worst lies - everyone saw the San Bernardino bombs, he was allowed to get away with that?

There is a time post debate poll that shows that 91% of debate watchers thought donald trump won the debate.Kelly may brag about that poll.

nobody's said anything on this but there was something seriously weird about how Trump held his mic tonight He was holding it with only two fingers like his tiny hands needed it

There it is.

I think the Hillary campaign is also betting (and knows) that more Trump leaks are coming, so they figured that Hillary didn't need to get into the mud against Trump tonight, the videos will do it for them. The Bill issues didn't end up mattering and just hurt Trump more.

Yep, just trust that Clinton knows what she is doing. She could have easily went further but there is no need to get that negative in a town hall debate. I think if she had lingered too long it would have looked bad.

Edit: Although I still can't believe that answer on the leak. Her e-mail answer wasn't horrendous, but dear lord at her trying to talk about that leak.

Boke1879

Real talk. Clinton shut down his attack on Bill early on lol. Who even remembers that presser? Story coming out of this will be that Clinton the debate.

Trump is still on audio and video saying that shit. She'll campaign still. Needle doesn't move. More dangerous oppo coming. Trump and the GOP who stand with him are fucked.

watershed

Banned
There it is.

Hillary played it absolutely right. The Bill attack was a blip, she looked presidential the whole time, and more damage will be done outside of the debates with all the leaks and attacks from her surrogates.

HTupolev

Alright GAF. I am a broken individual. I was halfway through a bag of chips and a bucket of salsa before the debate even started, and by the end, I was downing powerful corn whiskey mixed with caffeine-free diet coke and just generally feeling bad about America.

mzpvMVh.jpg

I had impressions about the debate. I'm not sure if I still have them because I'm basically just giggling about nothing now and listening to the JSRF soundtrack, but I definitely had them at one point.

First, I zoned out several times during Trump's responses. I assume this is good for Hillary because it probably means that Trump seemed very unfocused some of the time, or something.

Second, I think I was right about Hillary having to tread lightly on the issue of the accusations with Bill. Her response seems like it would basically scrape through without offending very many people. And, she preempted Trump's attack well. But, she also didn't manage to detonate nukes in Trump's face about it. She didn't get totally pulled into it, which is good for her.

Third, what the heck was up with that special prosecutor shit? Good to know you'll be Putin your opposition in jail for stuff they've already been cleared of. That's properly American right there.

Fourth, I'm surprised at how many poor answers Hillary had. Like the Russia/Wikileaks thing which, while true, opened her up to attack and didn't do much beyond stating an obvious truth that Trump could easily shrug off and deflect without his base giving a damn.

Fifth, despite the thing I just said above, some of Hillary's answers were on-point, measured, and just generally pretty good. That thirty years rebuttal was especially excellent, and Trump look idiotic for continuing to go after it, especially with the whole "I don't understand the structure of the US federal government" crap shenanigans.

Sixth, despite often being unhinged and rambling, Trump had frequent moments of surprising clarity, where he came across as coherent. He looked like he would fall apart like he did in the last debate, but sometimes occasionally half climbed out of it. I was impressed. Like, I got the impression that he actually prepared for the debate to a degree.

Seventh, if I was a bald eagle, I'd be banging my head into all the walls right now. That was just generally awful.

Eighth, it'll be interesting to see the state of the GOP tomorrow.

Ninth,

eh

SmokeMaxX

They are betting markets, only Nate Silver thinks they are a good way to judge the race.
Betting markets are usually pretty accurate because people are financially invested in the results. They can be skewed, but generally speaking, the markets usually balance themselves. If I saw Hillary Clinton to win the election at like 10 cents (for example), I guess I'd dump my entire life savings + pull a mortgage + sell my car + whatever into that undervalued stock.
Could have been people like me who bought Hillary when she was in the 60s cashing out at the market high.

They were too high. 88% was basically as high as it's going to get till election week.
Holy shit it got to 88%? Wtf. I was looking at a time to cash out and never saw it get close to that high :(

Is there a breakdown of non-Russian Eastern European ancestry populations by state?

Because I can't imagine a single Ukrainian-American or Lithuanian-American is going to vote for Trump. Those vote totals might look like Indian-American vote totals.

sazzy

That's the second time he's pulled that BS on them too. They knew the press wanted no part of that. They were not happy the first time.

did anyone even cover what was being said during that conf? it seemed like all the commentators were talking over it

Betting markets are usually pretty accurate because people are financially invested in the results. They can be skewed, but generally speaking, the markets usually balance themselves. If I saw Hillary Clinton to win the election at like 10 cents (for example), I guess I'd dump my entire life savings + pull a mortgage + sell my car + whatever into that undervalued stock.

These are niche low volume markets which are of pretty questionable use as an indicator.

Iolo

Insta polls aren't that great a measure of who won (since most of the effects will be felt over the next few days after media digestion, and instant polls aren't very accurate in general) but it's not bad to be ahead. We have to wait a few days for real national polls to come out which include the debate winner to see. Also, since the tape and the debate happened almost in tandem, by Friday or so we should see their effects in quality polls.

Holy shit it got to 88%? Wtf. I was looking at a time to cash out and never saw it get close to that high :(

There's nowhere near enough money in these markets to make them accurate.

Rubio shot up from 22% to 74% in "wins Republican nomination" based on him finishing third in Iowa! No reasonable market would have that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom