• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a debate, it is drama of a sort. Having her call him out on his bullshit is a simultaneous appeal to pathos logos and ethos. If this was an high school, sure, you're completely right, such an approach is worthless, but people are literally tuning in to see these two chew each other out over what is wrong with the each other, as we have with many elections before. You're right in the sense that you'll never change the bully's mind with this attack, but it's the audience you're trying to convince, and people do respond to rousing "this is why you suck" speeches.

But since it seems that Hillary got a decisive victory anyway, it looks like it's a moot point. I expected it to be much closer, atleast within 10 points of each other, but it seems the country has some semblance of sanity. My only point here is that this could have been even more decisive if Hillary went for the many jugulars that Trump exposed.

I'd challenge you to actually write out exactly what you think Hillary should have said and compare it to what she did say. Most of the "perfect" responses that GAF comes up with for Hillary are super cringe-worthy; rousing Sorkin speeches work in fiction precisely because it's not the real world. The average American is not a super-liberal looking for self-indulgent screeds.

Insta polls aren't that great a measure of who won (since most of the effects will be felt over the next few days after media digestion, and instant polls aren't very accurate in general) but it's not bad to be ahead. We have to wait a few days for real national polls to come out which include the debate winner to see. Also, since the tape and the debate happened almost in tandem, by Friday or so we should see their effects in quality polls.

But it shapes the media narrative. They can't write shit that goes against polls.

There's nowhere near enough money in these markets to make them accurate.

Rubio shot up from 22% to 74% in "wins Republican nomination" based on him finishing third in Iowa! No reasonable market would have that happen.

Seriously. Betting markets aren't accurate, and Silver makes himself a fool every time he brings them up.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
There's nowhere near enough money in these markets to make them accurate.

Rubio shot up from 22% to 74% in "wins Republican nomination" based on him finishing third in Iowa! No reasonable market would have that happen.

I've moved the market once with a big sell.

As a former trader, it's hilarious how low information the investors are, and how thin those markets are.

It's a good way to make a few bucks for fun, but it's worthless info.

Moment of levity

Daniel Gamlin ‏@RaiseUpNC 2h
"Reaching out... touching meeeee... touching yoooooouuuuuu...

SWEET CAROLINE!!!"

#Debate

CuX3iYMVMAAlM86.jpg

Ithil

Stony-faced Wolf Blitzer dropping the poll with Trump losing handily right on Conway made me laugh way harder than it probably should have.

Zukkoyaki

Betting markets aren't a very good indicator for projecting the race but they a pretty good indicator of how people may perceive events.

I honestly just like watching them out of curiosity more than anything.

Boke1879

best the media can do is say Trump performed better BUT Clinton still won. That's going to be the narrative going forward and this man said he'd jail her if he was President. That's not getting good play for him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hes talking about how pretty she is and how sweet her voice sounds. It's just totally irrelevant and only comes up for a woman.

God I wish Intrade was still around. Made a lot of money off delusional conservatives back in 2012.

Conspiracy: Silver is a gambler, and invests in the betting markets, so he keeps bringing them up stupidly to influence the markets and cash out. *takes off tin foil hat*

Is there a breakdown of non-Russian Eastern European ancestry populations by state?

Because I can't imagine a single Ukrainian-American or Lithuanian-American is going to vote for Trump. Those vote totals might look like Indian-American vote totals.

As Ukrainian-American I can say that's it's mostly NY, NJ, and Chicago. So it's not going to impact elections much. Only older and very racists Ukrainian-Americans (every ethnic group has them) are still considering voting for Trump.

This is the second debate in a row that Trump has failed to mention his only policy proposal: Building a wall along the Mexican border.

This is actually really strange.

johnsmith

remember me
The only thing people are going to be talking about regarding this debate is how he said he would jail his political opponent if he wins. It's one of the most monstrous thing this monster has said.

Grief.exe

It's ironic when these surrogates continually bring up destroying cell phones when that is the literal policy for handling classified information when switching devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom