• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I'd challenge you to actually write out exactly what you think Hillary should have said and compare it to what she did say. Most of the "perfect" responses that GAF comes up with for Hillary are super cringe-worthy; rousing Sorkin speeches work in fiction precisely because it's not the real world. The average American is not a super-liberal looking for self-indulgent screeds.

It hardly has to be a speech. Just something like, in response to his questioning of her judgement, maybe say "This, coming from the man whose statements are so reprehensive that he is being abandoned by his own party." It doesn't have to be a 'perfect' by any means but most things would be more effective than nothing with such wide and glaring weaknesses.

I don't entirely disagree with you that being able to rise above it all is a strength. But it's ridiculous to me to suggest that Hillary would be viewed as embarassingly moralizing by calling out stupid and vile shit like his idea that we can just attack a civilian city without warning.

SmokeMaxX

These are niche low volume markets which are of pretty questionable use as an indicator.
There's nowhere near enough money in these markets to make them accurate.

Rubio shot up from 22% to 74% in "wins Republican nomination" based on him finishing third in Iowa! No reasonable market would have that happen.
I think PredictIt hurts its usefulness because of its market restrictions (which also help reduce influences from large buys/sells), but I think prediction markets in general have value. If you follow them, generally speaking they follow what most polling aggregates and political analysts say minus a small bit to account for the influence of right wing traders who obviously think they're getting great value. It's true that they can be affected by noise, but I think that they provide useful information to anyone looking at the race. You can see how past scandals or bad news cycles affect the perception of candidates. Looking at the price, you can see in real time how people feel about current events like the debate. Although you can cause mass panic by initiating large buys or sells, those disruptions are temporary. One reason why you can trick the public into moving with you when you do those large buys and sells is because those with insider information on a campaign generally don't have restrictions on using a prediction market. Thus, they usually act first and those most interested in making money want to buy low or sell high as fast as possible.

CuYNuw5WAAAfaNR.jpg

Maengun1

"What's worse, some lewd language or hillary LAUGHING at a 12 year old rape victim???"
"excuse me, she was appointed by the courts as the attorney--"
"DID THE COURT APPOINT HER TO LAUGH????"
"that's been debunked, it's 100% untrue"
"it is true, she was there tonight"

Corey Lewandowski yall

Teggy

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

.@FrankLuntz, your so-called "focus groups" are a total joke. Don't come to my office looking for business again. You are a clown!
Aug 7, 2015, 3:45 AM

Lol, I've never seen this one.

HylianTom

Banned
I think my favorite line of the night was from Hillary, when Trump kept asking why she hadn't accomplished something as a Senator:
"You know, under our constitution, presidents have something called veto power."

I can only imagine how much restraint she's had to exercise while debating this nimrod, so I enjoyed it when she let a bit of snark shine through.

Pixieking

Banned
It hardly has to be a speech. Just something like, in response to his questioning of her judgement, maybe say "This, coming from the man whose statements are so reprehensive that he is being abandoned by his own party." It doesn't have to be a 'perfect' by any means but most things would be more effective than nothing with such wide and glaring weaknesses.

First question was: "Are you modeling appropriate behavior for today’s youth?"

To go on the attack after that question is bad. Maybe not in the morning, but in the there-and-then, how can she honestly attack him and his party without lowering the quality of the debate? She did policy answers and defending herself over emails, because she figured that she couldn't afford to look bad to that person in the audience (and those watching who thought the same).

Contrast with Trump whining and complaining and saying she was the devil.

No wonder she's winning the instapolls.

Tamanon

Banned
I think what this debate did was solidify an image of Trump that's pretty damn true. It showed him as a creep, based on both the Billy Bush video, and the weird way he just loved to hang around behind Hillary and watch her. It didn't help that he didn't say his comments were wrong, but they were excusable because it was "locker room talk". Also, it probably shouldn't take 3 times being asked to deny you committed sexual assault.

In addition, it really drove home that he's a con-man at heart. Any time he was pressed on a question, he didn't answer it. When pushed for specifics, he gave none. It was silly how little he actually talked about policy-wise.

Vestal

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS.. This fucking guy is Trump personified. HOLY FUCK.

COREY YOU ARE THE TRUMP INCARNATE.

sazzy

If these post-debate polls have taught us anything it's don't interrupt the other guy. Might be the only reason Kaine lost his.

I am fairly certain Kaine's performance was intentionally like that to drive a wedge bw Donald and Pence.

If you see any of his other interviews and debates, you'll see Kaine is a very calm and collected talker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom