• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump has done two classy things throughout his campaign.

The first was in February when Carson was stuck in the wings at the beginning of the Primary debate and Trump stood by him rather than see him embarrassed on his own.

Wasn't that right around the time he compared Carson to a child molester?

Most importantly the polls will impact how the media covers the debate. Polls showing Clinton win means they'll say she won. It's fine. I bought a new comforter today literally tho
It may also lead them into dissecting why she won, which would inevitably bring up Trump's more controversial answers.

wutwutwut

I find it depressing that having different public and private positions is somehow a problem.

Have people never tried buying a car or a house? That is literally what negotiation is!

Joeytj

Banned
True, but everyone here agrees, there were several opportunities for Hillary to do a lot more damage than she did. It's frustrating, and people say it was a way of avoiding getting in the mud with a bully, but I just disagree. It's a legitimate tactic to go all in when her debate opponent is so vile and is openly showing such a weakness as he is. More than that, it would have had long term effects on the rest of the debate. Trump kept an even keel for the most part, and he might not have if she attacked him harder on certain issues, which would have left more questions over the longer term in her favor.

I still think Hillary won and all, but she could have ENDED him, right here. It's frustrating that she didn't. Especially when the 3rd debate, moderated by someone from Fox, will have more going against her than any other.

I think that's what most of America (and Hillary supporters) will say. It was frustrating that this didn't end today hahaha. Everybody wants this to be over, and the debate just prolonged it more than people want already.

But, whatever. I'm sure we'll have another Trump meltdown by 3:00 am Monday. I think the Hillary campaign is also betting (and knows) that more Trump leaks are coming, so they figured that Hillary didn't need to get into the mud against Trump tonight, the videos will do it for them. The Bill issues didn't end up mattering and just hurt Trump more.

Dierce

One thing we have to be weary of is the orange turd base. They are uncontrollable and highly dangerous. There is nothing redeemable about them, they only hate.

sphagnum

Banned
ODZgovg.png

She's from New Jersey?!

GOD DAMNIT

Strimei

I was speaking some more with my mother about the debate and pointed out Trump's body language, especially the period where he was just...looming behind Hillary, staring at the back of her head.

She hadn't noticed it consciously, but when I pointed it out to her, she realized that during that period she was really put off by Trump (well, more than usual). It reminded her, and me, of my father during his worst years. I'd rather not go into too many details (i can ramble about it for way too long) but my father got extremely emotionally and mentally abusive in his later years, due to dementia that went undiagnosed for years.

It got bad enough that we all had to go into therapy. It took me years to stop waking up at the slightest sound, to stop having nightmares of my father. My father's been dead for five years and I still have to stop myself from having a panic attack at the sound of someone yelling in anger.

Trump's body language reminded us of my father at those times.

I imagine it will for others, too.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hillary didn't go for the killing blow for a simple reason.

It is a high risk gambit that can backfire, and she didn't need to take the risk. It could have changed the narrative and she didn't need to change the narrative.

watershed

Banned
Hillary's answer on the Trump pussy grab tape was good. Really early on, she connected it to all the other things Trump has said and done and said "This is the real Donald Trump think about who you vote for." Good stuff. Moms and women all across the country nodding their heads.

All I can see now with the beautiful and talented Kelly anne is the SNL skit

Also Clinton's answer on emails and the leaks were bad, but I'm surprised she isnt' getting some really good praise for the answer on her record how she interacted with the audience members.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was speaking some more with my mother about the debate and pointed out Trump's body language, especially the period where he was just...looming behind Hillary, staring at the back of her head.

She hadn't noticed it consciously, but when I pointed it out to her, she realized that during that period she was really put off by Trump (well, more than usual). It reminded her, and me, of my father during his worst years. I'd rather not go into too many details (i can ramble about it for way too long) but my father got extremely emotionally and mentally abusive in his later years, due to dementia that went undiagnosed for years.

It got bad enough that we all had to go into therapy. It took me years to stop waking up at the slightest sound, to stop having nightmares of my father. My father's been dead for five years and I still have to stop myself from having a panic attack at the sound of someone yelling in anger.

Trump's body language reminded us of my father at those times.

I imagine it will for others, too.

:/

sazzy

People are saying she laid off on destroying him so that GOPers are unable or unwilling to ditch him, and have to stick by him till the election.

Veelk

Banned
I never equated any of those responses as bullying, I just said they're inadequate responses to bullying. Bullying is powerful precisely because life isn't a scripted Sorkin drama where you get to have an elongated preaching monologue full of witty zingers. In reality, Trump immediately starts interrupting and bullying as a response and you're right back where you started. She did the only thing you can do which is say that the behavior is unacceptable, but ultimately that's not a very impressive argument because if it was true than society would have judged accordingly already.

As a debate, it is drama of a sort. Having her call him out on his bullshit is a simultaneous appeal to pathos logos and ethos. If this was an high school, sure, you're completely right, such an approach is worthless, but people are literally tuning in to see these two chew each other out over what is wrong with the each other, as we have with many elections before. You're right in the sense that you'll never change the bully's mind with this attack, but it's the audience you're trying to convince, and people do respond to rousing "this is why you suck" speeches.

But since it seems that Hillary got a decisive victory anyway, it looks like it's a moot point. I expected it to be much closer, atleast within 10 points of each other, but it seems the country has some semblance of sanity. My only point here is that this could have been even more decisive if Hillary went for the many jugulars that Trump exposed.

Hillary didn't go for the killing blow for a simple reason.

It is a high risk gambit that can backfire, and she didn't need to take the risk. It could have changed the narrative and she didn't need to change the narrative.

That's...a fair point I guess, but I guess I just don't see it as high risk. He's just so obviously oblivious to all the shit he doesn't know, and it seems like the appropriate move is to end him here and now.

benjipwns

Banned
That "orange turd" thing is the dumbest recurring thing anyone on GAF says.

And I'm an expert on dumb recurring "jokes" driven into the ground.

Strimei

To lighten things a bit, I'm in a better place, far better place. We all are.

My mother's engaged to my awesome stepfather, my step-family has welcomed the three of us (I have a brother) with open arms, in a way my actual blood relations never did. I'm mentally stable now (I was pretty close to taking my own life at one point).

But it struck me how Trump came across as reminding me of the monster my father became. I have to imagine that'll resonate with others. I really lack the words to fully describe just how skin crawlingly scared I was when he was just...looming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom