• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Boehner.

I didn't like him at all and disagreed with him on pretty much everything but at least we could count on him to do what was right for everyone when it really mattered. Deep down he was an American first and a republican second.

I don't like Boehner all that much, and vastly differ with his policies. But he at least believed in compromise like the grand bargain him and Obama came up with. Sadly he was trying to round up a bunch of tea party fanatics that believed in no such thing. If Boehner was the leader of the house when sane republicans were in office I feel a lot more could have been accomplished

Zukkoyaki

I don't like Boehner all that much, and vastly differ with his policies. But he at least believed in compromise like the grand bargain him and Obama came up with. Sadly he was trying to round up a bunch of tea party fanatics that believed in no such thing. If Boehner was the leader of the house when sane republicans were in office I feel a lot more could have been accomplished
Absolutely!

Heck, a bit of me even thinks that common-sense gun control would have been passed if the crazies didn't start hijacking the party.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
There is no "reasonable position" for the charter operations, at least not as they stand in this state (which, since I'm from here is where most of my data comes from.)

Those things are quite literally driving the public school system into bankruptcy and making public education WORSE, for no real gain in the quality of education.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/Moodys-Philadelphia-School-District-.html

This is a horrific scenario. "terrible" doesn't begin to cover how bad the charter school situation actually is. Philadelphia is in dire straits because of them, and Chester is already well in the process of complete collapse.

Better hope PoliGAF doesn't get their often stated wish of Cory Booker then

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/cory-booker-hillary-clinton-veep-newark-214030

Booker is a hero to Democrats for Education Reform, the group that always bets against public schools.

He basically used Zuckerburg's 100 million to go all in on charters, and more or less wasted the money completely (and in the process, has set progress back on education funding back about 20+ years)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/books/review/the-prize-by-dale-russakoff.html

Boehner was too nice a guy and had nothing to work with. Half the party was crazy and the other half was worried they'd get primaried by crazy. He also lost a lot of the tools that leadership would use to pull away votes from the extremes when negotiating big deals.

The only kind of leader that would have worked in that environment is a Dick Armey style monster that the representatives would have feared more than their own crazy base.

smurfx

get some go again
Word from inside GOP is that they are hoping feverishly for Trump to turn in an acceptable performance this Sunday. If not, they're going to ditch him and focus on Downballot only.
don't think they can. if they ditch donald then his shitty voters might get pissed and not vote for down ballot republicans. they are kinda trapped which is good for the democrats. no way will donald stay quiet as the gop abandons him.

Holmes

WHAT IS THIS THAT I SEE
Are we sleeping on Georgia? If the white vote ends up below 60%, African-Americans, Hispanics and Asians turn out in huge numbers and enough college educated whites in Metro Atlanta vote for Hillary (or even Johnson), just maybe...

WTHR/HPI Indiana Poll LV

Bayh: 42
Young: 41
Some Libertarian: 8

They had the race at 44-40 last month. Because Indiana's laws (and the lack of polling in general this election), I doubt we get much more polling out of here before the election.

Shit, Bayh might lose this.

sphagnum

Banned

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/cory-booker-hillary-clinton-veep-newark-214030

He basically used Zuckerburg's 100 million to go all in on charters, and more or less wasted the money completely (and in the process, has set progress back on education funding back about 20+ years)

But he gave such a nice speech!

Doesn't seem that out of step with historical data; this is what I found for 2012:

White 58.9%
Black 29.9%
Hispanic 1.8%

Of note; the electorate in Georgia that year ended up being 65% white.

Link

oh my god you had a super easy link. I was going through GA's online shit and it was taking me forever to figure it out. lol

Cyanity

Banned
This is my first time watching Samantha Bee, and wow, her interviewers are incredible

Ground reporting at Trump rallies has been on point this entire election. It's the perfect storm of gullibility and complete lack of self awareness that makes for hilarious interviews.

Doesn't seem that out of step with historical data; this is what I found for 2012:

White 58.9%
Black 29.9%
Hispanic 1.8%

Link

It means steady black numbers, increased Hispanic/Asian numbers, decreased white numbers. That's still pretty good considering the gap that needs to close.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ground reporting at Trump rallies has been on point this entire election. It's the perfect storm of gullibility and complete lack of self awareness that makes for hilarious interviews.

The atmosphere at those things is like a cult. It's creepy.

Iolo

White 58.9%
Black 29.9%
Hispanic 1.8%

Link

If black registration stayed the same and white registration is 1.7 points lower as of 10/1, it stands to reason that Hispanic + Asian registration increased by 1.7 points.

^ beaten

If Trump wants to waste a day on a fool's errand to Wisconsin the day before the debate (during a major national disaster, no less), who am I to complain? The nearest airport is a good half hour away, even, so it's not like he can just hop off his plane for a quick speech. On paper it sounds good! It's the core of Wisconsin's rust belt and in Ryan's CD. But god what a waste of time and effort.

This is one of my issues with booker. There are a handful of politicians here in PA just like him that inexplicably promote the charter school program. All of them without exception take a TON of money from charter lobbyists.

Heitkamp is with Chelsea today in ND

@Heidi4ND
Can't come to ND w/out getting caught up in #WentzMania - gave @ChelseaClinton belated baby gift while she's in Fargo today.

CuGmGHSUMAAh1yb.jpg:large

iconic.

Bayh, don't let us down bro.

Not looking good. Why aren't there more polls though?

Okay, so, when we talk about "not looking good", wouldn't a poll with Bayh losing actually be not looking good? I get that it's a close margin, and it's tighter than I would like and I would be pissed if he blew this, but this seems to imply that the race has somehow gotten away from someone who's led every public poll so far.

And because Indiana law forbids robo dialing.

So how do you pronounce Nevada?
Senator Harry Reid‏ @SenatorReid

If Trump wants to come down from the penthouse his daddy bought him to lecture us on Nevada, he could at least pronounce it correctly.
Senator Harry Reid‏ @SenatorReid

Trump told us we pronounce our state wrong; then he refused to take stance on Yucca.

It's pronounced Nev-AD-a and Yucca Mountain is dead.

Booker strikes me as a guy whose faults tend to be overlooked because he's seen as cool. To some extent I get it, there's some really amazing stories about the guy. It doesn't mean I want him as a presidential candidate though.

Holmes

There will probably be more polling of Indiana but not much. Can't do robo dialing so pollsters might not bother and will instead poll actual battlegrounds instead.

Diablos

Okay, so, when we talk about "not looking good", wouldn't a poll with Bayh losing actually be not looking good? I get that it's a close margin, and it's tighter than I would like and I would be pissed if he blew this, but this seems to imply that the race has somehow gotten away from someone who's led every public poll so far.

And because Indiana law forbids robo dialing.
It's closer than I thought it would be.

Forgot about that law.

FL gonna get hit by the hurricane in a loop, are you kidding me that's crazy.

Who knows if we can rely on the state for turnout, these folks have a lot more to worry about if their county gets slammed twice by a hurricane

It's closer than I thought it would be.

Forgot about that law.

FL gonna get hit by the hurricane in a loop, are you kidding me that's crazy.

Who knows if we can rely on the state for turnout, these folks have a lot more to worry about if their county gets slammed twice by a hurricane

what does Hurricane Matthew have to do with Indiana

Just spelling out the word doesn't actually help. How did Trump say it? Nev-ODD-uh? The last season of Veep has completely ruined me from even trying to pronounce that state.

Right: Nehv-ADD-uh
Wrong: Nehv-Ahhh-duh

The first one is like "add" as in, "add 2 plus 2 to get 4". The second is like "ahh", like the first part of the word "awesome".

Booker strikes me as a guy whose faults tend to be overlooked because he's seen as cool. To some extent I get it, there's some really amazing stories about the guy. It doesn't mean I want him as a presidential candidate though.

Yep, these are my feelings on Booker. He's a great speaker and probably a great person, but just not really fit to be a presidential candidate. He's made a lot of not that great political choices.

what does Hurricane Matthew have to do with Indiana
Everything. It has everything to do with Indianna

That's so weird. I've only ever heard Nev-ahd-a. I have rarely left the north east so it must be a regional misunderstanding, but it's amazing I have never heard it pronounced "Nev-ad-a" until now.

I'm glad I learned this now before I embarrassed myself in front of somebody who knew better.

That's so weird. I've only ever heard Nev-ahd-a. I have rarely left the north east so it must be a regional misunderstanding, but it's amazing I have never heard it pronounced "Nev-ad-a" until now.

I'm glad I learned this now before I embarrassed myself in front of somebody who knew better.
that's how they taught us in the south too.

aliengmr

Trump has caused such an insane amount of damage on the conservative side, it is sometimes hard to see the scale of it. Here's an incomplete list of people and ideas he's hurt, or whose stock has fallen in the past 18 months -- in most cases directly due to Donald:

Winners:
-John Kasich
-Ben Carson
-the Alt-Right, Paleocons, white supremacists, Alex Jones I would bet
-Probably Mike Pence, although we'll see

Carson didn't win, not even a little. He may be unscathed by Trump, but he's basically a boring Trump, so he kind of loses when it comes to his broader political career. He's basically so bad on his own, that Trump can't bring him down further.

Pence will probably break even. He's not outsider enough to benefit from anything around Trump and has an ideology that is decreasing in the mainstream. Pence, Santorum, and Fuckabee, are pretty much the same candidate.

Only winners I see are the Republicans that didn't support Trump. Romney being close to the top of that list along with the Bush family. Jeb may be hurt by this election but that is mostly his doing.

NeoCon's were more affected by Iraq than Trump. If anything, Trump being so bad as taken the heat off them, but let's not forget they got hammered into the ground in 2008 and 2012.

Cyanity

Banned
Jeeze, Florida's about to get absolutely fucked by Matthew. Is the hurricane seriously poised to do a 180 and couble tap the state? That would be awful if true.

Pyrokai

Yeah, I'm really worried about Florida. I hope everyone stays safe, but it might swing for Trump if everyone is trying to recollect their lives.

Is Matthew for sure going to hit Florida hard?

Blader

There's a great story about a Newark mom trapped indoors during a blizzard and tweeting about how she needed to buy diapers for her baby. Booker saw the tweet, tweeted back with "I'm on it," and then personally delivered the diapers to her in the storm.

That's what everyone goes crazy over. What a lot of those people overlook, and what the woman in the story has pointed out, is that the reason she couldn't buy the diapers herself is because Booker couldn't get the fucking roads plowed for her to leave her house.

There's a great story about a Newark mom trapped indoors during a blizzard and tweeting about how she needed to buy diapers for her baby. Booker saw the tweet, tweeted back with "I'm on it," and then personally delivered the diapers to her in the storm.

That's what everyone goes crazy over. What a lot of those people overlook, and what the woman in the story has pointed out, is that the reason she couldn't buy the diapers herself is because Booker couldn't get the fucking roads plowed for her to leave her house and buy them herself.

Damn this is upsetting to learn. I really loved his DNC speech.

As someone who goes to Nevada frequently I have to say that all the attention it's getting is, well, remarkably undeserved. :)

Also, why do we still have hurricanes? What is Obama doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom