• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

EDIT: Ugh, RBG. Her views on Kaepernick have caused me to lose a ton of respect for her. Lots of people exposing themselves because of Kaep, but I never guessed that she would be one.

That's a surprisingly disappointing response from her. At least there's no question to her about the legality of it : /

LeBron gave the most elegant response for someone who doesn't want to participate. He said it's not something he'd do, but he thinks that it's a completely acceptable protest.

Probably should have asked her what the point of view is that they're expressing.

The Justices in the past have proven to be rather...sheltered from current events.

Yes, that would help give more context on her statement. If she's actually unaware of some of the recent events... /facepalm

So when does Hillary start campaigning in Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, and Missouri?

you don't. Those voters won't be voting FOR hillary, but constant reminders that trump is a piece of shit may cause them to vote against him.

Campaigning is not hillary's strong point. Transfer money to those places and allow some of the local reps to get some visibility, but having hillary stump in Georgia will just remind white voters why they don't like her.

EDIT: Ugh, RBG. Her views on Kaepernick have caused me to lose a ton of respect for her. Lots of people exposing themselves because of Kaep, but I never guessed that she would be one.

She's clearly just talking about the specificity about it "disrespecting" the anthem. She's old fashioned. She clearly defends their right and has made a career at the ACLU and holding the constitution as an important tool to fight discrimination.

https://thinkprogress.org/justice-ginsburg-america-has-a-real-racial-problem-616626eae51d#.o0rd98oco
two years ago she was highlighting racial issues. and she wrote the shelby dissent.

“Would I arrest them for doing it? No,” Ginsburg elaborated. “I think it’s dumb and disrespectful. I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it’s a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn’t lock a person up for doing it. I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act.”

She's tone policing, shrug, this seems like Yahoo wanting to make a bigger deal than it is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's a surprisingly disappointing response from her. At least there's no question to her about the legality of it : /

LeBron gave the most elegant response for someone who doesn't want to participate. He said it's not something he'd do, but he thinks that it's a completely acceptable protest.

Yes, that would help give more context on her statement. If she's actually unaware of some of the recent events... /facepalm

I mean, from what I read she doesn't like the protest itself (despite feeling it's legal) but said nothing about what's being protested.

Teggy

CuWLbcmVMAAHOfD.jpg

I still think she also flips SC in an 8+ point win. That state has had her about 4-6 points down fairly consistently in a number of polls. A slight depression of white voters + black voters coming out in full force could be enough.

Then again, I don't know SC, so if someone lives there, they might think I'm wrong (and can tell me why).

If Clinton really does win by 10+ SC is possible because a huge number of the college educated whites are Republicans and are theoretically more likely to leave Trump. Its like the anti-Iowa.

benjipwns

Banned
The interview starts with her sharing warm memories of Scalia. Those two were buddies if people didn't know that. She thinks he was super funny.

So it's clear now that when Donald loses, his supporters are going to blame the establishment for giving up on him. Do you think that any potential bitterness surrounding that could linger into the 2018 midterms?

She's clearly just talking about the specificity about it "disrespecting" the anthem. She's old fashioned. She clearly defends their right and has made a career at the ACLU and holding the constitution as an important tool to fight discrimination.

She's tone policing, shrug, this seems like Yahoo wanting to make a bigger deal than it is.

People can certainly disagree with me, but as one black person of many, this just reads to me like it does when other people say it - the idea of the American flag is more important than the real concerns of black people.

I'm aware of RBG's history in fighting discrimination as a lawyer, but that doesn't absolve her of having some racial blind spots (and I'm putting it really nicely because I do still have respect for her and her career). And honestly, in 2016, I'm sick of making excuses for people who say stuff like this.

Wallach

So it's clear now that when Donald loses, his supporters are going to blame the establishment for giving up on him. Do you think that any potential bitterness surrounding that could linger into the 2018 midterms?

you mean when a shitload of "trump" republicans show up in those primaries?

nooooooo that would never happen

Zukkoyaki

No they're going to have to get out and vote after Empress Clinton takes everyone's guns and implements Sharia Law

Iolo

Honestly the same people complaining about the national anthem protests would have no problem wearing pants made out of the flag

Be wary of that NBC poll. Small sample size, and it was pre debate. Debate might have stopped hemorrhaging. Wait for more information.

I'm all right if he stops the bleeding at -14 though.

HylianTom

Banned
If I were a mischevious billionaire, I'd be all about sowing discord within the GOP's base over this when it comes time to run ads in 2018.

Realyst

Question: In a hypothetical Trump electoral win an inauguration, could/would a GOP congress impeach and remove Trump (based on tax fraud, Trump U, whatever) and thereby give Pence the presidency?

Could that be an actual strategy? I know that a Trump win is looking increasingly more unlikely, but I was wondering if this was a way for Republicans to hedge against a disaster of a president.

Be wary of that NBC poll. Small sample size, and it was pre debate. Debate might have stopped hemorrhaging. Wait for more information.

There is absolutely no reason to believe this.

Also:

mike%20murphy_zps3nr5dcwz.png

It aligns with internal polls. There is a reason the GOP all started jumping ship saturday morning. This is horrific and this is real.

PKrockin

Stopped hemorrhaging, sure, but women think he lost the debate handily (two to one in the CNN poll less so by the YouGov poll). That's the opposite of what he needs to regain the ground lost by the tapes. Small sample size, though, sure.

ampere

I mean, from what I read she doesn't like the protest itself (despite feeling it's legal) but said nothing about what's being protested.

I guess... but it seems odd to call kneeling during the anthem "ridiculous", especially considering the context of the country at the time that anthem was written. People of color were not free and yet we still play this song which in a way feels like blindly championing that era

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh shit early voting in Ohio starts Wednesday

Amazing

Get out there and push those voters please.

Lebron do something

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2/3 of GOP voters want them to keep supporting Trump. They have no choice but to do so.

benjipwns

Banned
listening to the interview itself, it does not seem like she knows exactly what the deal is and is working off what Katie Couric says

RBG does 20 push-ups every night and a plank for two sets of 30 seconds

she also says she hasn't seen saturday night live...the only show she watches is the pbs newshour

That's disappointing from RBG, but I guess that's one of those issues where the old generation (from a much more overtly patriotic time) is going to split heavily on this.

I'm now actually at the point where I'm nervous about the polling, because Hillary's win won't be big enough to satisfy my anticipation.

I guess it's a good place to be in.

Blader

I think the most damning number to come out today was the one showing only 67 percent of Rs support Trump now. That's disastrous! That number is supposed to be 90+ percent by this point.

ampere

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 32s33 seconds ago

Paul Ryan should spend more time on balancing the budget, jobs and illegal immigration and not waste his time on fighting Republican nominee
get the popcorn!

ascii42

Right, that election was a while ago and demographics have shifted. A closer baseline to use might be the 2008 election where Obama racked up 365 electoral votes with a 7% edge over McCain in the popular vote. But if Clinton manages to break 7% by my largely uneducated eye it seems like she could flip Arizona, Alaska and Georgia for 30 more electoral votes. I'm no expert though. My point was just generally to say a near double digit lead is a huge lead since someone asked how big it was.

2008 race:

349px-ElectoralCollege2008.svg.png

I shouldn't commit the sin of getting too excited over one poll. I'd better wait for a few more. This is a terrible early sign for the Trump campaign though.

On the flip side, it'll be hard for Clinton to flip Indiana back to blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom