• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

What we're really witnessing here is the failure of our educational system. It's astonishing that so many people seem to genuinely not know how our government works nor know basic economics.
But that is also due to years if not decades of republican misinformation. They are the ones that have accused Obama of being a tyrant who uses executive order to subjugate the will of congress. They say it is unprecedented even when it is abundantly clear that he has used it the least of the last 3 presidents.

I think it comes down to how, as a society, we threat people who misinform. I'm all for freedom of speech and believe that people should have the right to say what they want but there must also be consequences for these words and we are not seeing them.

Quite the contrary, we have these right wing assholes who speak against being PC simply because it would open a completely new terrain to discriminate minorities without remorse or fear of losing their job.

What we're really witnessing here is the failure of our educational system. It's astonishing that so many people seem to genuinely not know how our government works nor know basic economics.

No what you're witnessing here is the eventual conclusion of what social media and the internet does to a society.

Syncytia

No what you're witnessing here is the eventual conclusion of what social media and the internet does to a society.

"Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom."

hpXoxkI.png

I wonder how morning joe will spin their own poll tomorrow. I can understand watching that shit to laugh at them but why the hell do people take that terrible show seriously and value any of their opinions is beyond me.

Vahagn

I wonder how morning joe will spin their own poll tomorrow.

Nah Morning Joe jumps from narrative to narrative quickly. They'll be all about the Civil War and Trump Imploding narratives tomorrow morning.

They take literally every position on Earth and then claim credit when one of their "predictions" pans out.

So, it's been well known I've been on record saying the GOP was going to have a reformation in 2020, basically some kind of civil war, or they would face irrelevance.

Looks like I was wrong. Trump is accelerating that by 4 years.

I hope to god this continues. I never thought it could get like this.

A complete decimation of the GOP in this election is possible. If the Dems somehow capture the House and the GOP is lost...it doesn't matter who they blame.

The country needs the GOP to lose badly in this election. Across the board. We need a functioning gov't again. We need a GOP that is willing to come to the bargaining table.

I don't know if the result would ultimately be 3 parties. Democrats, Republicans, and Deplorables in which the Democrats just control everything nationally as a result or if the GOP reforms itself en masse. But we're really close to one of these realities coming true and we need it.

BTW. The Presidential election is over, barring some black swan event. OVER. This is all about the total damage that the GOP will take, now.

Vahagn

So, it's been well known I've been on record saying the GOP was going to have a reformation in 2020, basically some kind of civil war, or they would face irrelevance.

A complete decimation of the GOP in this election is possible. If the Dems somehow capture the House and the GOP is lost...it doesn't matter who they blame.

The country needs the GOP to lose badly in this election. Across the board. We need a functioning gov't again. We need a GOP that is willing to come to the bargaining table.

I don't know if the result would ultimately be 3 parties. Democrats, Republicans, and Doplorables in which the Democrats just control everything nationally as a result or if the GOP reforms itself en masse. But we're really close to one of these realities coming true and we need it.

BTW. The Presidential election is over, barring some black swan event. OVER. This is all about the total damage that the GOP will take, now.

God I hope so. But 2008 was a massive landslide and I don't see this year being more than that. I mean, maybe in the EC numbers, but not nationwide in the House/Senate and local races.

It took the GOP 2 years to come back with a vengeance. Don't underestimate the fickleness of the American Voter.

Teggy

Coach ✔@CMPunk
"Grab them by the pussy" isn't talk from any locker room I've ever been in. It's a Ted Bundy quote. #debate2016

Lot of good quotes in there.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/politics/locker-room-talk-athletes-respond-trnd/index.html

I'm glad Virginia is looking out of reach because I don't have to worry about who my parents are voting for. They are good people, but they were lost to Fox news long ago. My mom is a Hillary hater, but she is no Trump fan. I'm kind of curious what she's been thinking lately, but it will be happier for everyone if we just ignore it :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Once again, Hillary shouldn't have to apologize for that deplorable comment.

Agreed.

She could have handled that so much better. "I'm sorry, if you are a racist or a sexist, you ARE deplorable, and polling shows half of Trump's voting base is such."

Boke1879

Agreed.

She could have handled that so much better. "I'm sorry, if you are a racist or a sexist, you ARE deplorable, and polling shows half of Trump's voting base is such."

She shouldn't have to apologize, but people LOVED her pivot when she said her issue is with Trump.

God I hope so. But 2008 was a massive landslide and I don't see this year being more than that. I mean, maybe in the EC numbers, but not nationwide in the House/Senate and local races.

It took the GOP 2 years to come back with a vengeance. Don't underestimate the fickleness of the American Voter.

This is nothing like 2008. 2008 was a repudiation of GWB's handing of Iraq and an economy crashing.

The GOP wasn't at civil war with itself. The GOP understood why it lost. It was an election they would have been destroyed in no matter anything they did.

This is much, much different. This is them imploding in a winnable election cycle. This is them imploding with a stacked deck. This is a huge chunk of their own party members either not voting down ballot or at the top of the ticket. This is them losing a generation of latinos and suburban women.

2008 is nothing like this.

Teggy

So much for the "beat her in November, it will be better" response

Brandon WallVerified account
‏@Walldo
“Special prosecutor, here we come,” Trump says as the crowd chants “lock her up”

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If the GOP fractures, does it seem likely that the deplorables could cohere into a single party? Or would we see multiple parties spring up, clashing with each other?

Iolo

This is much, much different. This is them imploding in a winnable election cycle. This is them imploding with a stacked deck. This is a huge chunk of their own party members either not voting down ballot or at the top of the ticket. This is them losing a generation of latinos and suburban women.

This is them losing to Hillary Frickin' Clinton.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know if the result would ultimately be 3 parties. Democrats, Republicans, and Deplorables in which the Democrats just control everything nationally as a result or if the GOP reforms itself en masse. But we're really close to one of these realities coming true and we need it.

I just hope this GOP implosion doesn't take the country down with it. Assuming they still have the house, there's a lot of worrying things their extreme brinkmanship can do.

We're going to be talking about a caucus that's going to lose a number of moderate republicans, and a constituency absolutely pissed that their biggest, most hated enemy of the last decade is in the white house. I do hope that Paul Ryan can hold his seat through that storm, because it's extremely possible a replacement would be willing to do extreme harm to the government and the economy rather than work with Hillary.

Boke1879

This is one thing I hope gets a bit more play and more pushback from the media. He's literally talking about jailing his political opponent because he isn't happy with the outcome.

Media needs to explain why this is dangerous.

I see so many people saying that both candidates for president are shitty implying that Bernie would be better. I always liked Bernie, but Clinton is way more honest in comparison. She is much more realistic. Literally 90% of stuff that Bernie promised would be impossible to achieve in the next 20 years. Those things would never fly if Hillary promised them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

These people are insane. I wouldn't be shocked at all to hear of intimidation at voting places as well as violence on election night after Trump loses.

thebloo

Lol, people defending the "deplorable" comment when you were calling it a major mistake that day.

Hillary's always one step ahead. Unless she falls down.

kevin1025

Banned
Trump kept calling it WikiLinks.

He also said, and I quote: "she blamed Honest Abe Inkin!"

Either he can't read (which he has said in the past), or someone broke his teleprompter and Ron Burgundy'd it.

Boke1879

Lol, people defending the "deplorable" comment when you were calling it a major mistake that day.

Hillary's always one step ahead. Unless she falls down.

I was always glad she said it. It needed to be said and regardless of what people said it didn't hurt her nearly as much as people claimed.

johnsmith

remember me
Coach ✔@CMPunk
"Grab them by the pussy" isn't talk from any locker room I've ever been in. It's a Ted Bundy quote. #debate2016

For a second I thought that said Al Bundy and was about to defend him, but then I realized it was Ted Bundy and was like "oh. OH"

I just hope this GOP implosion doesn't take the country down with it. Assuming they still have the house, there's a lot of worrying things their extreme brinkmanship can do.

We're going to be talking about a caucus that's going to lose a number of moderate republicans, and a constituency absolutely pissed that their biggest, most hated enemy of the last decade is in the white house. I do hope that Paul Ryan can hold his seat through that storm, because it's extremely possible a replacement would be willing to do extreme harm to the government and the economy rather than work with Hillary.

Like I said, this happens IF they lose the House. Keeping it opens up the potential to extend this bufoonery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom