• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
But what if external truth does not support liberalism.

It's actually an interesting question!

I think the debate between internal and external truth, as you imply, is more complicated than the Twitter above suggests. Like, if somebody comes at me asking me to prove that white people aren't superior to people of color, my response is not to dig up facts and figures. Equality is a basic human assumption. If you don't share it I don't think we can usefully evaluate data together.

So that is a form of internal truth as well. I think people like to frame the argument as being about internal versus external truth. It is actually about the conflict between the modern, pluralistic internal truths we have agreed to, that cosmopolitan society has taught us, and an older and darker set of internal truths that angry nationalists spread.

I don't think there's a set of data to point to that says everybody deserves human rights. I think we just agree that it's true as part of the basis of our society. That agreement is what white nationalists, among other reactionaries, seek to destroy.

Iolo

Huh, not only may the Florida registration deadline be extended to October 18th (pending Wednesday's hearing), but it may be for the whole state of Florida, not just counties affected by Matthew.

Mia Love has pivoted from "how to deal with domestic terrorism" to talking about invading Syria (which she seems supportive of?)

Doug Owens is refusing to attack her on anything, lol.

Joeytj

Banned
I love the attendees at this rally in the background. The gays on the right, the lady munching on a burger in the left and the speakers.

Boke1879

Huh, not only may the Florida registration deadline be extended to October 18th (pending Wednesday's hearing), but it may be for the whole state of Florida, not just counties affected by Matthew.

That would be a huge win if it got extended like that.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
This is what that O'Keefe said at the end of Sept

James O'Keefe ‏@JamesOKeefeIII Sep 28
James O'Keefe Retweeted Melissa Gott
Wrong. We have tape of them demeaning and disparaging black people in the worst ways. That will matter. Coming in October.

That would be extremely disappointing (not to mention problematic for the election). Hopefully it's just some idiot intern and not Hillary, if the tapes are real.

As usual with all his tapes, whatever is on it, you know it's going to be heavily edited.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh my freaking goodness, did Trump imply minorities would "steal" the election in Philly?

"CNN Sucks! CNN Sucks! CNN Sucks!" at the Trump rally. Hilarious.

He's back at home riffing in this rally. He just loves being loved by his crowd, couldn't care less about winning at this point.

Bowdz

I think another aspect of this election that is somewhat underrated is the degree to which Hispanics are going to turn out. I honestly feel like they are going to surprise a lot of people.

sphagnum

Banned
It's actually an interesting question!

I think the debate between internal and external truth, as you imply, is more complicated than the Twitter above suggests. Like, if somebody comes at me asking me to prove that white people aren't superior to people of color, my response is not to dig up facts and figures. Equality is a basic human assumption. If you don't share it I don't think we can usefully evaluate data together.

So that is a form of internal truth as well. I think people like to frame the argument as being about internal versus external truth. It is actually about the conflict between the modern, pluralistic internal truths we have agreed to, that cosmopolitan society has taught us, and an older and darker set of internal truths that angry nationalists spread.

I don't think there's a set of data to point to that says everybody deserves human rights. I think we just agree that it's true as part of the basis of our society. That agreement is what white nationalists, among other reactionaries, seek to destroy.

Yeah, I dislike the tendency for people to claim we all just let "external truths" guide us as if what we interpret as external truths aren't influenced by our ideologies. All of us, even if we don't mean to, create a system of morality and correctness that is both influenced by what's outside of us but also influences the way we view what is outside of us.

I suppose philosophically I'm not much of a positivist, but I just go along with science and empirical evidence because it makes the most sense within the constraints of the world as we can perceive it. There's nothing out there guaranteeing that human rights "should" be a given.

Hence why political power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Jacobs‏ @Bencjacobs
Trump is now alleging that the election may be stolen from him in Philadelphia "and everybody knows what I am talking about"

This man and his entire team are just...ugh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I just can't wait for this election to be over. I'm so fucking sick of this shit.
I can't wait to see which version of the "GOP needs to go soul searching" they will trot out this time.

I just read that Reince's RNC now stands behind Trump?

So they're willing to be the party of rapists now? Fuck all of these piece of shit cowards. I hate them so much.

Random policy rant re: last night's debate: Setting up no fly zones and safe zones in Syria sounds like an awful idea.You can't do that without putting a lot of troops on the ground and the only real conclusion is that you'll be willing to shoot down Russian planes. Radditz's question was fucked up beyond belief here (Holocaust, the image of the boy out of Aleppo), insinuation that we have to be heavily interventionist in Syria, but HRC's answer was really bad.

I hope Hillary is just trying to beat up on Russia for points against Trump. Push for a diplomatic end that we might not get the best result out of so at least we can end the civil war. The other option is a game of chicken with Vladamir Putin and that's just not a game the US can reasonably expect to win alone.

Cerium

When did Politico change their actual banner?

sm-logo-trumpincrisis.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom