• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz

HOLY SHIT

13Qp7EU.png

Can't see this (at work), what does it say?

tuffy

As soon as it becomes clear that Trump is going to lose, Pence could very safely drop and argue that he did the 'moral' thing or whatever.

I doubt he'll do it though, but a week ago I was certain he wouldn't.
I think it's already pretty clear that Trump is going to lose. So since Pence hasn't dropped out, he's planning to ride this out to the bitter end.

Gruco

Banned
Trump is doing everything in his power to engineer an 80 seat swing in the house at this point.

And it's all because he can't get over the high of being worshiped by his revanchist base.

I just want it to end.

I mean, me too, but I want it to end in the most stunning, brutal fashion possible.

I want Trump to wind up with a lower share of the vote than Goldwater. I want the entire GOP to bleed seats and to know it's because they invited a monster in to their house. I want the Trump base to be recognized as impossibly toxic and to be actively ignored and dismissed by politicians for decades.

We should have reached that point much, much earlier, but if listening to this insanity for another month helps the country make it to where it needs to go, I can deal

I think it's already pretty clear that Trump is going to lose. So since Pence hasn't dropped out, he's planning to ride this out to the bitter end.

Clear to Pence. You've got to give people inside the bubble longer to see the writing on the wall, if they ever will.

GusBus

I wonder if these tweets and the Ryan distancing end up causing Pence to (finally) get off the ticket. Does he really want to burn every bridge he has with the senior leadership?
Being attached to Trump seems like a death wish for anyone who wants to credibly work with the Republican party in the future.

Thaedolus

I wonder if these tweets and the Ryan distancing end up causing Pence to (finally) get off the ticket. Does he really want to burn every bridge he has with the senior leadership?
Being attached to Trump seems like a death wish for anyone who wants to credibly work with the Republican party in the future.

How would that even work? He's already on the ballots, people are already voting. Pence quitting would be this thing going from an extinction event to a super nova

I think whatever Pence does it will have been worked out with the GOP leadership. They likely put him in this situation. They'll work out a strategy for him and the party won't hold this disaster against him.

How would that even work? He's already on the ballots, people are already voting. Pence quitting would be this thing going from an extinction event to a super nova

It would be about 2018 and 2020. Laying the groundwork to distance the party (and himself) from being stupid enough to support Trump.

andthebeatgoeson

I guarantee you a very large percentage of parents would trade the tax credits and swag in return for the disposable income, better nights of sleep and more automony and flexibility in their lives that comes with the single childless life.The amount of stuff parents put up with when raising kids (especially lower income parents) more than outweighs the monetary incentives. I don't think anyone's signing up for the parent life with the "aww yeah, gonna get some sweet checks from the IRS" as their incentive.
Yeah, the average financial outlay for a kid was $200k. And encouraging kids is a net benefit. Looking at Japan and a low birthrate, it's to the benefit of the country to promote marriage and babies.

They might want to do more. Our birthrate is dropping. And we need to give up on xenophobia and let some more people in.

The man has an ideology and sticks to it no matter what, I'll give him that.

That’s all that happened. There is zero suggestion in the article, let alone evidence, that any WikiLeaks email was doctored: it wasn’t. It was just Sputnik misreporting the email. Once Sputnik realized that its article misattributed the text to Blumenthal, it took it down. It’s not hard to imagine how a rushed, careless Sputnik staffer could glance at that email and fail to realize that Blumethal was forwarding Eichenwald’s article rather than writing it himself. And while nobody knows how this erroneous Sputnik story made its way to Trump for him to reference in his speech, it’s very easy to imagine how a Trump staffer on a shoddy, inept campaign – which has previously cited InfoWars and white supremacist sites among others – would have stumbled into a widely-shared Sputnik story that had been published hours earlier on the internet and then passed it along to Trump for him to highlight, without realizing the reasons to be skeptical.

No glenn, its not easy to imagine that.

The dude is intentionally exonerating a legit russian government prop-site

In any event, based on the available evidence, this is a small embarrassment for Trump: he cited an erroneous story from a non-credible Russian outlet, so it’s worth noting

small embarassment

But that’s not what happened. Eichenwald, with increasing levels of hysteria, manically posted no fewer than 3 dozen tweets last night about his story, each time escalating his claims of what it proved

and you've never gone on insane tweeting sprees when the media doesn't report what you want!

BY ITSELF, THIS IS NOT so notable: all journalists are tempted to hype their stories. But Eichenwald went way, way beyond that, including – as demonstrated below – demonstrable lies.

You want people to litigate you're initial NSA stories where you overhyped and lied?

But while Donald Trump’s candidacy poses grave dangers, so does group-think righteousness, particularly when it engulfs those with the greatest influence. The problem is that none of this is going to vanish after the election. This election-year machine that has been constructed based on elite unity in support of Clinton – casually dismissing inconvenient facts as fraudulent to make it disappear, branding critics and adversaries as tools or agents of an Enemy Power bent on destroying America – is a powerful one. As is seen here, it is capable of implanting any narrative, no matter how false; demonizing any critic, no matter how baseless; and riling up people to believe they’re under attack.

Glenn knows the real problem is people being too mean to russia!

He's on ESPN tonight talking about race and sporting achievements.

What are the odds he defends locker rooms as places where people in fact DO NOT brag about sexually assaulting people?

Gruco

Banned
Sam Bee on Ryan
Full Frontal said:
You don’t have the courage of a single one of your convictions, but you were smart to disinvite Trump from your Fall Fest. He wouldn’t have been able to resist grabbing a pussy like you.

I really enjoy Oliver's long form style, and his goofy non-sequiturs don't really bother me as much as they seem to for some others. But god, Samantha's ability to caustically channel moral outrage is perfect. I love how well the two approaches balance one another out.

Getting off the ticket burns bridges with the GOP base. That's the beauty of this civil war, no matter which bridge you burn you're still left drifting on an island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom