• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is maybe what it was like to watch the Whigs die, huh? I mean, bad candidates + inability to deal with the hardliners in the party on major national issues. As soon as the alt-right tries to break away and rise from the ashes, the GOP as we know it is done.

And Bannon is obviously on this ticket to make the GOP an open party of white nationalism and economic populism or die trying. The first part, people like Ryan and McConnell agree with, but the last part, not so much.

shiba5

It's started on r/Trump

YzwQKa.jpg

Evidence: Tales from my ass

The GOP has spent an entire election season running against Hillary Clinton. That is their platform (see: RNC and everything Trump has ever said outside a few policy speeches). If they dump Trump they have no platform.

At least by sticking behind Trump they keep their platform and their reason for existing this election.

I don't follow. If Clinton is going to be elected President, they don't lose their platform at all. 'Vote me in so we can stop her doing all the stuff she wants to do as President!' etc.

pigeon

Banned
As much as I'd like to see Ryan lose an election, I can't help but wonder what damage alt-right entryism can do to our country. We want even our minority leaders to have a modicum of rational judgement.

But I can't admit that I'm not enjoying this, a little.

I'm going to use this as a jumping-off point a little because I think there's an important point to be made here. What's happening to the GOP right now isn't entryism. It's chickens coming home to roost.

Here are things the Republican Party has explicitly run on and made part of their platform in the last 50 years:

* Racism and discrimination against people of color
* Sexism and oppression of women
* Suppression of GLBT
* Lack of faith in the mainstream media, education, and expert opinion
* Lack of faith in the government and in elected politicians
* Belief in a wide-ranging Democratic conspiracy to elect literally un-American people to the White House
* Belief in Hillary Clinton, specifically, being a sociopathic mass murderer and criminal

Note that, in general, Republican politicians and powerbrokers did not actually want to make policy on these grounds. They wanted to cut their own taxes and reduce social programs. They just chose to advance and mainstream these ideas to do it.

Note that these are also the tenets of the alt-right. It's just that, unlike conventional Republicans, the alt-right actually wants these ideas to guide their policy.

The Republicans bred a tiger from a cub, fed it human flesh, and grabbed it by the tail. I am unsympathetic to their complaints now that it wants to eat them. They have been governing and campaigning in bad faith for half a century. This is their reward.

"There is no system in place to verify a voter's eligibility"

......Uh... Has, uh, anyone told these people that you have to, like, register to vote? At that you can only do it in one place, which means you can only vote once? And that in most cases you have to register before election day? And that there's a voting registry where they mark that you voted? And it's illegal to skirt the system? That, with all of these things, there's no evidence of "voter fraud" in any city in any state? Don't actually answer this. It just pains me that anyone could be this stupid.

And christ, if Democrats actually rigged machines they wouldn't have dug themselves into the hole they have now! Worst cheaters ever! Can't even win while cheating!

"Evidence" is such a cute word. Well, if they want to try to round up Republicans to do what they think Democrats are doing they can go ahead and get their stupid asses arrested.

I'm going to use this as a jumping-off point a little because I think there's an important point to be made here. What's happening to the GOP right now isn't entryism. It's chickens coming home to roost.

Here are things the Republican Party has explicitly run on and made part of their platform in the last 50 years:

* Suppression of GLBT
* Belief in a wide-ranging Democratic conspiracy to elect literally un-American people to the White House
* Belief in Hillary Clinton, specifically, being a sociopathic mass murderer and criminal

Note that, in general, Republican politicians and powerbrokers did not actually want to make policy on these grounds. They wanted to cut their own taxes and reduce social programs. They just chose to advance and mainstream these ideas to do it.

Note that these are also the tenets of the alt-right. It's just that, unlike conventional Republicans, the alt-right actually wants these ideas to guide their policy.

The Republicans bred a tiger from a cub, fed it human flesh, and grabbed it by the tail. I am unsympathetic to their complaints now that it wants to eat them. They have been governing and campaigning in bad faith for half a century. This is their reward.

While I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves until it's confirmed in raw vote totals, it sure is looking this way.

We're back to the dilemma of turning on the alt right and losing their votes, or sticking with Trump and losing independent and moderate republican votes. Trump detonating all the dog whistles put razor wire on the fence between the two. There is no fence sitting now. You're either against him or you aren't and it's looking like either way you lose votes.

You can shoot yourself in the head and stand with Trump, or swallow the poison and stand against him.

At least in the second option, you gain some time to maybe try to find an antidote.

"There is no system in place to verify a voter's eligibility"

......Uh... Has, uh, anyone told these people that you have to, like, register to vote? At that you can only do it in one place, which means you can only vote once? And that in most cases you have to register before election day? And that there's a voting registry where they mark that you voted? And it's illegal to skirt the system? That, with all of these things, there's no evidence of "voter fraud" in any city in any state? Don't actually answer this. It just pains me that anyone could be this stupid.

And christ, if Democrats actually rigged machines they wouldn't have dug themselves into the hole they have now! Worst cheaters ever! Can't even win while cheating!

"Evidence" is such a cute word. Well, if they want to try to round up Republicans to do what they think Democrats are doing they can go ahead and get their stupid asses arrested.
I view this is a positive...if they're this ignorant of how the process works, there's a pretty high chance a lot of them haven't actually registered to vote and don't realize they need to.

I view this is a positive...if they're this ignorant of how the process works, there's a pretty high chance a lot of them haven't actually registered to vote and don't realize they need to.

"Fellow Republicans and Patriots! Don't register to vote! You're only playing into THEIR hands! Hail Trump!"

While I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves until it's confirmed in raw vote totals, it sure is looking this way.

We're back to the dilemma of turning on the alt right and losing their votes, or sticking with Trump and losing independent and moderate republican votes. Trump detonating all the dog whistles put razor wire on the fence between the two. There is no fence sitting now. You're either against him or you aren't and it's looking like either way you lose votes.

You can shoot yourself in the head and stand with Trump, or swallow the poison and stand against him.

At least in the second option, you gain some time to maybe try to find an antidote.

One way or another, there will be an unprecedentedly major third party in 2018.

I don't follow. If Clinton is going to be elected President, they don't lose their platform at all. 'Vote me in so we can stop her doing all the stuff she wants to do as President!' etc.

Because it means they concede Hillary is going to be President, and that's the only thing their base rallies on. People aren't going to cold call and canvas for Ryan's tax cuts or Mitch McConnell's promise of a do-nothing Senate. Zero motivation, especically in the new, less educated Republican core voter block.

The path they go down depresses turnout of their surefire voters while taking a risk that it'll help with their marginal voters (who might break away anyway). It's a bad trade. Secure your base.

Hey Guys.

So, real question. What the fuck do we do about this wing of crappy people after November?

It's going to be messy. At least they will continue dwindling in size as they have been. It's a slow process though. They probably saw this as their last good chance of making America deplorable again, so who knows how they'll react to a complete loss for their 'values'.

They don't think they're an extreme minority right now. They think they're the average American. It's not going to be a comfortable transition.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

* Suppression of GLBT

And don't forget--multiple republicans have been on TV/radio/print recently stating how they don't have a demographic problem with voters. Gingrich even called it a "fantasy."

They are not going to fix this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
See I'm actually sympathetic to republicans because we're going to need some help to stop this. Like ok Paul Ryan is IMO a racist fuckhead but at least his racism is disguised as economic policy. Trumps just a racist. The stakes are so high that I think the tiger actually has a shot to get elected...

Teggy

The "Hillary Clinton is not the world's best closer" is really the stupidest argument and I've heard it multiple times.

She's lost one election in her entire life, and the fact that the Bernie campaign went on so long was far from her fault.

Because it means they concede Hillary is going to be President, and that's the only thing their base rallies on. People aren't going to cold call and canvas for Ryan's tax cuts or Mitch McConnell's promise of a do-nothing Senate. Zero motivation, especically in the new, less educated Republican core voter block.

The path they go down depresses turnout of their surefire voters while taking a risk that it'll help with their marginal voters (who might break away anyway). It's a bad trade. Secure your base.

The polls suggest they lose votes *either way*, and it seems like they lose about the same number of votes, just from different blocks. It isn't clearly a bad political move to turn on Trump, and it likely has more upside in the long term.

One way or another, there will be an unprecedentedly major third party in 2018.

I'm not sure there will be.

The polls suggest they lose votes *either way*, and it seems like they lose about the same number of votes, just from different blocks. It isn't clearly a bad political move to turn on Trump, and it likely has more upside in the long term.
How wise it is depends on what your state or district looks like. Saying the numbers are universally the same does not sound accurate.

pigeon

Banned
Hey Guys.

So, real question. What the fuck do we do about this wing of crappy people after November?

Remember them.

Trump didn't convert a bunch of people into believing that white nationalism and sexual assault are fine. He just told them to be honest and tell it like it is.

jiggle

At this rate there won't be enough room left to drop all the oppo bombs

IMO GOP is not gonna splinter into 2
There will just be another crazy tea party take over

thefro

It's going to be messy. At least they will continue dwindling in size as they have been. It's a slow process though. They probably saw this as their last good chance of making America deplorable again, so who knows how they'll react to a complete loss for their 'values'.

They don't think they're an extreme minority right now. They think they're the average American. It's not going to be a comfortable transition.

We still need to bust the alternate reality so that we don't have 35% of the country believing things that are crazy conspiracy theories because Breitbart or Rush or Drudge or Fox News says it or someone posts it on Facebook.

Not healthy for our country at all. I'd like a sane GOP and viable 3rd parties to counter the Dems.

Hopfrog

Something that will absolutely happen on election day: tons of Trump supporters going online to complain about fraud because they did not know they needed to register to vote.

kess

That's a great point.

Trumpkins are not going to go quietly into the night. I live in a district that is has a non-endorsing Trump candidate, and yet, Trump signs are everywhere.

The only place where I saw lawns with the entire GOP slate sans-Trump was in Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom