• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen!

If you're ever feeling bizarro-nostalgic, I've long had the FreeRepublic Election Night 2012 live thread bookmarked. The mood starts off cheery and hopeful, and then it shifts very quickly..

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2956012/posts

They also had a duplicate live thread here:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2955604/posts

Been a few years since I've read 'em. I bet they're still hysterical.
Jesus. It's full of racism and mountains of salt. They really thought R-money had a chance.

Choice post:
To: Cato in PA
He would have made Obama look like an absolute child in the debates.
I thought Newt was great in the debates (excepting one); but the media would have painted him as a "mean SOB", and that would have been it.

The 19th Amendment killed America tonight.

Another post-first-debate poll with a bigly lead. It's hard not to think that Hillary isn't ahead by at least seven-ish in composite national polling at this point.

HylianTom

Banned
The reaction to a third straight loss for the Presidency is going to be unprecedented. Republicans have never suffered such a defeat in the modern era.

Speaking of..

@RosieGray:
an Iowa voter just said to Pence, "If Hillary Clinton gets in, I myself, I’m ready for a revolution because we can’t have her in."

And Pence's response, to his credit, was "don't say that."

Feels like the same way I did in 2008 around this time. The polls looked solid and Obama will end up winning in the end but you can't really take it all in because of shit like Bill Ayers and "spread the wealth around" tapes.

Gruco

Banned

Trump's base is not at all prepared to deal with the stunning rebuke that Clinton's election will represent for them

Black dude beating McCain lead to the tea party. Black dude beating Romney lead to Trump. At least with McCain and Romney, the right wing base could give themselves the excuse of the candidates losing because they were RINOs and didn't fight hard enough. And even then, the spiral of rage and conspiracy mongering is out of control.

Back-to-back-to-back of Obama-Obama-Hillary, combined with Trump fully running as the embodiment of the right wing, will be a rejection of everything these people stand for in ways they will NOT be able to process. All that will be left is feeding into conspiracy theories about RIGGED, and calls for violence and revolution.

The complete defeat of the republican party is one of the best things that could happen to this country, but...Trump's inability to concede will lead to lots of problems. As will Trump's persistent destruction of norms surrounding politics and society as a while. And so, even if a lot of good comes from Trump's nomination this November, I have no doubts that the consequences of his campaign will be real and far reaching.

Another post-first-debate poll with a bigly lead. It's hard not to think that Hillary isn't ahead by at least seven-ish in composite national polling at this point.

You should have seen Boris dig in like "Technically it's a 7 point lead on the day after the debate, so you've got 11 to 9 then to 7 and it's gonna keep going up!"

lmfao

Revolver

HOLY FUCK at that final jab from Jake Tapper!

Boris listed how Clinton was a failure her entire life and relitigated all of her scandals and when he was done, Jake just followed up with "Well, that failure is beating your boss in every poll."

Fucking mic drop.

I need to see that. God I love seeing Boris get squashed.

I saw Tapper on Seth Meyers last night and you could just tell he's sick of this election.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If there was any justice in the world, we'd be looking at a map like this for November:

zmNkY.png

Boke1879

Trump's base is not at all prepared to deal with the stunning rebuke that Clinton's election will represent for them

Black dude beating McCain lead to the tea party. Black dude beating Romney lead to Trump. At least with McCain and Romney, the right wing base could give themselves the excuse of the candidates losing because they were RINOs and didn't fight hard enough. And even then, the spiral of rage and conspiracy mongering is out of control.

Back-to-back-to-back of Obama-Obama-Hillary, combined with Trump fully running as the embodiment of the right wing, will be a rejection of everything these people stand for in ways they will NOT be able to process. All that will be left is feeding into conspiracy theories about RIGGED, and calls for violence and revolution.

The complete defeat of the republican party is one of the best things that could happen to this country, but...Trump's inability to concede will lead to lots of problems. As will Trump's persistent destruction of norms surrounding politics and society as a while. And so, even if a lot of good comes from Trump's nomination this November, I have no doubts that the consequences of his campaign will be real and far reaching.

You're right. These people live in their own reality and quite frankly they believe their view is the norm. They don't believe in the changing demographics of this country. Just look at what Newt said the other day. He literally said "why do people say we have a demographics problem?" in reference to the GOP. That line of thinking is why they are in the position they are in right now.

mo60

If there was any justice in the world, we'd be looking at a map like this for November:

Doesn't idaho and Louisna have a lot of uneducated white voters? In literally all of the landslide scenarios those states don't flip but MT does.Also, SD is a bit more democratic than ND.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if it will drive them to commission a post-mortem of the election that will illustrate the parties fundamental issues that, if unchecked, will result in national losses being all but unavoidable.

What is there to say? Any republican that would listen already knows the party is in danger from right wing media rhetoric and changing demographics.

The only thing to add over 2012 is some adjustments to the primary system to stop another Trump from happening, but that's about it.

The 2012 suggestion to embrace immigration is about the easiest change they could make to actually battle demographic changes, and the base pulled off a full on revolution over it. I have no idea what else they can do to battle those demographics. And there's nothing they can do about the right wing media monster they created.

Doesn't idaho and Louisna have a lot of uneducated white voters? In literally all of the landslide scenarios those states don't flip but MT does.Also, SD is a bit more democratic than ND.

Idaho is probably Trump's third most safe state behind WV and OK.

Just realized we only have 3 months left with God King Emperor Obama

Obama's going to take a very different tack on his public life than what we've seen out of any president in modern memory. It's going to be great.

Piecake

One of every 40 American adults cannot vote in November’s election because of state laws that bar people with past felony convictions from casting ballots. Experts say racial disparities in sentencing have had a disproportionate effect on the voting rights of blacks and Hispanics

A report by the Sentencing Project, a nonprofit organization focused on criminal justice reform, estimates that 6.1 million Americans will not be allowed to vote next month because of these laws.

State laws that bar voting vary widely. Three swing states — Florida, Iowa and Virginia — have some of the harshest laws; they impose a lifetime voting ban on felons, although their voting rights can be restored on a case-by-case basis by a governor or a court. On the other end of the spectrum, Maine and Vermont place no restrictions on people with felony convictions, allowing them to vote while incarcerated.

Across the nation, one in 13 African-American adults cannot vote because of a felony conviction. In Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia, more than one in five African-Americans cannot vote.

About a quarter of this disenfranchised population is currently incarcerated. The rest are on parole or probation, or have completed full sentences and are out of prison.

“We only think of people coming out of prison,” said Desmond Meade, the president of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, a group working to restore civil rights for felons in the state. “But the majority of people whose rights are not restored are people living in our communities as we speak.”

Fourteen states automatically restore voting rights when a person who has been convicted of a felony is released.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ule=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

I would click the link because it has some good graphs and pictures. What I found interesting was that I previously thought that you could not vote anywhere if you were a convicted felon, but it actually is determined by the state.

Hell, in Maine and Vermont you can vote when you are in prison, but in some other states you basically have your right to vote taken away from you for the rest of your life. Looking at the graphs and pictures, it really seems like this serious disenfranchisement is being carried about by several states.

A shocking number of ex-cons I've known in Ohio have spent decades believing they can't vote.

Know your laws. In Ohio, felons are only prevented from voting while incarcerated.

Donald Trump has fallen further behind Hillary Clinton and now trails her by 8 points among likely voters, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll, with 1 in 5 Republicans saying his vulgar comments about groping women disqualify him from the presidency.

The national tracking poll was launched after Sunday night's second presidential debate, where Trump was pressed to explain his comments in a 2005 videotape about grabbing women's genitalia. He described the remarks, which first surfaced on Friday, as "locker room" banter and apologized to Americans.

The poll released on Tuesday showed Clinton, the Democratic nominee, had increased her lead over Trump, the Republican nominee, to 8 percentage points on Monday from 5 points last week.

Trump was under pressure during Sunday's debate to restore confidence in his struggling campaign after dozens of lawmakers repudiated him. He hammered Clinton's handling of classified information while serving as secretary of state and referred to her as "the devil." At one point, he said he would jail Clinton if he were president.

Among those who said they watched at least portions of the debate, 53 percent said Clinton won while 32 percent said Trump won. The results fell along partisan lines, however: 82 percent of Democrats felt Clinton won, while 68 percent of Republicans felt that Trump won.

Among likely voters who watched the debate, 48 percent said they supported Clinton while 38 percent supported Trump.

Another terrible national poll for the Donald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom