• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm loving that Trump supporters are now adding deplorable before their names on facebook, twitter, etc. I know they think they're doing it in a sarcastic fashion, but ironic they're probably being incredibly accurate. I guess Clinton was playing some 5D chess with that one, and getting them to call themselves exactly what they probably are.

The impact of Palin 08 won't go away anytime soon. "Moderate" republicans can pretend all they want that this is new, or a Trump Effect or anything else but this party has spent 9 years other-izing Obama. These voters are people the GOP has fostered, catered to, and cowered to. And when Hillary wins they're going to be angry, loud, and perhaps violent. They'll be demanding pure obstruction, and Ryan is too weak to stand up to them long term.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I was far more ready for this when a Black Man was elected President but there is FAR more open talk and discussion about it now it seems.

ugh
Those times didn't have the other candidate not-so-subtly suggesting it and stoking the flames.

What do you guys think is worse for Ryan's 2020 run: losing the speakership, or keeping the House with only a 5 or so seat majority?
2ikzqq.gif

nevergonnabepresident.gif

Can we consider Ryan losing in November?

I mean, it's highly unlikely but it's not as if his District wasn't pro-Obama...and if Trumpians are upset with him and refuse to vote for him specifically on election day...

HylianTom

Banned

I mean, it's highly unlikely but it's not as if his District wasn't pro-Obama...and if Trumpians are upset with him and refuse to vote for him specifically on election day...

If we can't get little Marco, that's next trophy I want.

The far left is just annoying.

Like the corporations man, we need to shut them down and just run everything on hemp.

The far right is actively dangerous.

The blacks and Mexicans are going to rig the vote, so we have to start a revolution and then lock them up or lock them out.

Yup. Far-lefties make me eye-roll. Far-righties make me shiver. And only one side's extreme is near the levers of power in this country.

I was far more ready for this when a Black Man was elected President but there is FAR more open talk and discussion about it now it seems.

ugh

It's always been an open question, who is discriminated against more, African-Americans or women? They take vastly different forms, but both are very, very pervasive.

If we can't get little Marco, that's next trophy I want.

There's a good chance this election destroys the following people from ever being President or having any significance going forward

1. Marco
2. Ted Cruz
3. Paul Ryan
4. Every Bush ever again
5. Guliani
6. Christie
7. Gingrich
8. McCain

Unbelievable.

Those times didn't have the other candidate not-so-subtly suggesting it and stoking the flames.

No, they did not.

The future of the country and wear it goes is, in fact, at stake here. Both sides know it.
The supreme court and the future of many decisions is in play.

The GOP, in this most crucial time put up the least intelligent option they had and without intelligence, they are siding with pure discourse and possible violence.

What do you guys think is worse for Ryan's 2020 run: losing the speakership, or keeping the House with only a 5 or so seat majority?

Keeping the House with a small majority. That would force him to form coalitions with democrats in order to pass even the most basic of legislation, avoid shutdowns, raise the debt ceiling, etc.

As minority leader he'd have some of the same problems since I assume democrats would have a small majority (thus needing republican votes to raise the debt ceiling for instance), but there would be far less of a spotlight. I have nothing against Ryan but he's just not a House Speaker. He's basically a great face to put on the party but will but ineffective when it counts. Boehner was a good Speaker in my opinion, he's the type of person you want in the role: someone who is tough, an asshole, and willing to twist arms. But like Conway is learning with Trump, even if you're good at your job you can't control insane people.

Fox318

Would you rather have Ryan as the leader of the GOP or somebody in the freedom caucus?

Keeping the House with a small majority. That would force him to form coalitions with democrats in order to pass even the most basic of legislation, avoid shutdowns, raise the debt ceiling, etc.

Why do you assume Ryan and the republicans actually want to pass legislation or avoid shutdowns?

They triple down on obstructionism, blame democrats, and cruise to a larger majority in 2018 when democrats fail to show up during midterms again.

What are the numbers like on taking the house?

nobody knows until we get more polling in from last weekend's fallout, and then we need to see that it's sustainable.

generally the consensus is that democrats need a +8 or higher to take the house. Hillary looked like she was at least +11 this weekend.

Boke1879

Why do you assume Ryan and the republicans actually want to pass legislation or avoid shutdowns?

They triple down on obstructionism, blame democrats, and cruise to a larger majority in 2018 when democrats fail to show up during midterms again.

Well they have to do something. Because if they lose this election and the dems make gains in the House and Senate the GOP will have to start passing legislation. It would honestly be in their best interest to pass some sort of immigration reform to win back Hispanics.

Would you rather have Ryan as the leader of the GOP or somebody in the freedom caucus?

good question.

On the one hand, Ryan isn't a fucking nutcase and can work when necessary to pass things.

On the flip side, Ryan is thought of as a smart policy wonk when in reality he is a moron who is trying everything he can to fuck the poor and middle class at the favor of the wealthy.

The latter is pretty fucking dangerous.

I'd probably rather have Ryan around if he's the speaker but not if the Dems take the House. Ryan losing because the GOP base abandon him would further cause the GOP civil war to result in a breakup in the party.

Well they have to do something. Because if they lose this election and the dems make gains in the House and Senate the GOP will have to start passing legislation. It would honestly be in their best interest to pass some sort of immigration reform to win back Hispanics.

this was the thinking in 2008, but they did the exact opposite. Democrats want it? refuse it. obstruct it, filibuster it.

Hispanics are dangerously close to where black voters are in "never voting republican again" territory. People don't just forget extremely racist rhetoric and language from an entire party over an 8 year span. Those voters won't be back before 2030.

As minority leader he'd have some of the same problems since I assume democrats would have a small majority (thus needing republican votes to raise the debt ceiling for instance), but there would be far less of a spotlight. I have nothing against Ryan but he's just not a House Speaker. He's basically a great face to put on the party but will but ineffective when it counts. Boehner was a good Speaker in my opinion, he's the type of person you want in the role: someone who is tough, an asshole, and willing to twist arms. But like Conway is learning with Trump, even if you're good at your job you can't control insane people.

That was my thinking as well.

Joeytj

Banned
this was the thinking in 2008, but they did the exact opposite. Democrats want it? refuse it. obstruct it, filibuster it.

Hispanics are dangerously close to where black voters are in "never voting republican again" territory. People don't just forget extremely racist rhetoric and language from an entire party over an 8 year span. Those voters won't be back before 2030.

Yeah, while a their allegiance to Democrats isn't a sure thing yet (especially amongst second and third generation latinos), a vast majority of them are definitely not going to vote Republican for the rest of their lives, or at least in the near future.

Nafai1123

Banned
CNN is all about Wikileaks and Emails right now.

At least their talking about Trump's Russian talking points about "Blumenthal." They should be bringing up the fact that he straight up lied at the debate though about being briefed on the Russian hacks and feigned ignorance.

I'm loving that Trump supporters are now adding deplorable before their names on facebook, twitter, etc. I know they think they're doing it in a sarcastic fashion, but ironic they're probably being incredibly accurate. I guess Clinton was playing some 5D chess with that one, and getting them to call themselves exactly what they probably are.

They are attempting to do the same thing that progressives/democrats did with the word "liberal". Limbaugh and co. tried to make it an insult which failed.

Except it won't work with "deplorable" for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom