• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al Gore with that raw animalistic charisma

He's great on the issues, but man I can see why he struggled so much. I was watching all his old debates as VP and everything, and it doesn't help that he came off a lot as an ass in them.

Joeytj

Banned
He's rambling a bit on the effects of global climate change and it's effects on Florida. Not saying anything untrue, but he sounds like he's rambling.

Geg

“They bus them around,” Schulkin said about certain neighborhoods. “They put them in a bus and go poll site to poll site.”

Like... I don't understand how anyone actually believes this, unless voting is handled differently in different parts of the country. Where I am you're assigned a voting location based on your address and can only vote there.

Twitter egg:

NYT reporter:

So no, the New York Times certainly is not.

But they certainly didn't simply assume that the emails were legit, as you and many others have implied. Prior to reporting, they (along with every other outlet to report on the emails, as far as I can tell) gave the Clinton campaign every opportunity, in good faith, to debunk the leaked emails as faked or altered. The Clinton campaign, at every opportunity, has declined to do so, including when Clinton herself was asked about them at the debate.

Boke1879

Like... I don't understand how anyone actually believes this, unless voting is handled differently in different parts of the country. Where I am you're assigned a voting location based on your address and can only vote there.

This is how it works. At my polling location they have my info. At others they don't. You can't just walk in somewhere and just vote lol.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is how it works. At my polling location they have my info. At others they don't. You can't just walk in somewhere and just vote lol.

Same here. They can look you up and will tell you that you in the wrong spot (and where to go) but you can't vote wherever you want.

During early voting however, you can go wherever. So maybe that's what he's implying.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know why, and it won't matter anyways, but I'm doubting that the Apprentice tapes will get leaked. If the guy who runs the studio is a buddy of Trump, I bet they're erased already.

Chumly

Even more important is you only have one vote assigned to your name. So if you get a ballot under John smith your name is checked off and you can't magically order another 100 ballots

Joeytj

Banned
But they certainly didn't simply assume that the emails were legit, as you and many others have implied. Prior to reporting, they (along with every other outlet to report on the emails, as far as I can tell) gave the Clinton campaign every opportunity, in good faith, to debunk the leaked emails as faked or altered. The Clinton campaign, at every opportunity, has declined to do so, including when Clinton herself was asked about them at the debate.

I don't know why they don't just confirm they are real, or most of them. None of them have any smoking guns.

One of my favorite memories of Election Night 2012 was Dick Morris being all over the place on twitter. It drove the folks at FreeRepublic bonkers. One moment he's saying that things look good for Romney, then doable, and then.. radio silence.

I know I say this a lot, but that election was so much fun. I also remember all the Republicans getting their hopes up from a bunch of fluff blog posts at the National Review during the day (The Romney camp is excited, they're seeing great turnout, that sort of thing), and then watching the whole unskewed house of cards collapse right before their eyes. Obviously the Rove meltdown was classic. I kinda wish I had been on GAF for the bedwetting when the early electoral vote count favored Romney (if you didn't understand the context of which states had been called) and the early returns from rural Virginia were coming in.

Joeytj

Banned
I think his last speech was at 2008 DNC, it was better than this though. I kind of love that this revels in how boring he is though.

Yeah, he's "boring", but he also sounds like he actually cares about the issue, and millennials like that about him.

Just hear how they cheer at stats about the progress being made on climate change, lol.

He's getting on a very Al Gore-like groove now haha. Kind of enduring, like when Bernie rambles on about the issues he cares about.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Cugj0HeWEAAn3vs.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
I know I say this a lot, but that election was so much fun. I also remember all the Republicans getting their hopes up from a bunch of fluff blog posts at the National Review during the day (The Romney camp is excited, they're seeing great turnout, that sort of thing), and then watching the whole unskewed house of cards collapse right before their eyes. Obviously the Rove meltdown was classic. I kinda wish I had been on GAF for the bedwetting when the early electoral vote count favored Romney (if you didn't understand the context of which states had been called) and the early returns from rural Virginia were coming in.

Amen!

If you're ever feeling bizarro-nostalgic, I've long had the FreeRepublic Election Night 2012 live thread bookmarked. The mood starts off cheery and hopeful, and then it shifts very quickly..

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2956012/posts

They also had a duplicate live thread here:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2955604/posts

Been a few years since I've read 'em. I bet they're still hysterical.

Also, if we're talking about veracity, how about context?

Shot:

Chaser:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2016/10/trump-clinton-wikileaks-doj-229615

Shot 2:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/wikileaks-email-hack-clinton-donna-brazile-229609

Chaser 2:

How about we actually look for the context and being fucking journalists?

Neither of those examples have anything whatsoever to do with the veracity of the emails themselves. The first is Trump typically grasping at straws to invent new Clinton scandals; the second is Politico apparently misinterpreting what Brazile meant with the phrase "the questions." In fact, you literally just quoted a Democratic official confirming that the Brazile email was legit!

Neither of those examples have anything whatsoever to do with the veracity of the emails themselves. The first is Trump typically grasping at straws to invent new Clinton scandals; the second is Politico apparently misinterpreting what Brazile meant with the phrase "the questions." In fact, you literally just quoted a Democratic official confirming that the Brazile email was legit!

You didn't respond to my other post where an NYT reporter confirmed they were not asking about the veracity of the claims before they are posting the emails.

My issue is not whether these are legitimate or not, just that there is apparently no scrutiny done before they're published, which is what you responded to. Clearly, with the second email, there was no attempt to ask for any context or look for any context.

EDIT: To be clear, I am complaining here about sensationalism. I replied to you about veracity in a different post.

Just wondering, when someone says "we need a strong conservative party and a strong liberal party to keep in check," what positive things in this country has a conservative government done?

I'm drawing a blank at something conservatives can claim as a win that wouldn't have just been better with the liberal solution.

The easiest example is budget and syndicalism. Left leaning governments tend to overpromise and under-deliver social safety nets, usually by the way of populism. They will promise free drinks for everybody but when it's time to pay left-leaning governments will increase taxes or acquire debt. Rising taxes is unpopular and the right usually gets away with lowering them as to prop up businesses, but fails to cut down social services.

Deadlock struggles and party ruptures lead to weak main parties, which are then prone to ransoming by dictators. If the US had a less diverse population (moree white people), a weak candidate and Obama had a much lower approval rating, Trump might even have a chance right now.

A strong Right party is supposed to keep the left from overreaching in their policies. Contrary to the consensus, the filibustering conduct of the current GOP indicates a very weak party. Instead of being a balancing check, their only recourse is to block everything. A strong R would be able to compromise.

Granted the US is in a weird position in terms of budget, and the amount of money that taxes can rise on the very rich is astounding. Also, the diverse nature of the country is serving as a counterbalance to authoritarianism.

That's the way I see it

Joeytj

Banned
Lol, that was a great finish by Al Gore. And you could hear Hillary say "That's a great line, I loved that!"

And then Al Gore said: "Can I raise your hand?!"
Hillary: "Yeaaah!"

Hahaha. It was cute.

Blader

Is it or me does it seem like Obama's approval rating has been jumping up to that same 55 percent for like three months now?

You didn't respond to my other post where an NYT reporter confirmed they were not asking about the veracity of the claims before they are posting the emails.

My issue is not whether these are legitimate or not, just that there is apparently no scrutiny done before they're published, which is what you responded to. Clearly, with the second email, there was no attempt to ask for any context or look for any context.

I did respond to that post, but apparently you missed it.

Confessore says that the Times gave the Clinton campaign every opportunity to correct the record, if the emails were fake or altered. What else are you suggesting that the Times should have done and failed to do here? That they should allow the entirety of stories about the inner workings of the Clinton campaign to be vetted by the Clinton campaign before publication?

The Politico story is just an example of sloppy reporting, nothing more. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I don't see how that, or Trump being Trump and inventing scandals, reflects on every single other outlet/story about the Podesta leaks.

I did respond to that post, but apparently you missed it.

Confessore says that the Times gave the Clinton campaign every opportunity to correct the record, if the emails were fake or altered. What else are you suggesting that the Times should have done and failed to do here? That they should allow the entirety of stories about the inner workings of the Clinton campaign to be vetted by the Clinton campaign before publication?

The Politico story is just an example of sloppy reporting, nothing more. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I don't see how that, or Trump being Trump and inventing scandals, reflects on every single other outlet/story about the Podesta leaks.

I expected them actually try to figure out if these are legitimate articles with the same scrutiny in which they treated the Trump leaks before publishing them, which they did not do. And if they can't, don't report it. They didn't do that. That's a problem.

And because we're looking at a general trend, from NBC News at first, and then Politico just today about how this news is disseminated. It's sloppy.

Nordicus

Hah, Bill Clinton was expecting to see Hillary in president's position eventually even back in 2000

When Finland's first female president Tarja Halonen visited the White House that year with her husband Pentti Arajärvi, Bill Clinton asked Arajärvi how it feels being the husband of a president.

To that Arajärvi laughed and said"Mr President, you will survive"

TMVveMG.jpg

Bowdz

HOLY FUCK at that final jab from Jake Tapper!

Boris listed how Clinton was a failure her entire life and relitigated all of her scandals and when he was done, Jake just followed up with "Well, that failure is beating your boss in every poll."

Fucking mic drop.

Re: the media:

My wife is convinced the media really stopped pushing horse races and "both sides" when Trump trolled them with the birther announcement. I'm not sure it wasn't due to happen anyway.

What say you?

Boris listed how Clinton was a failure her entire life and relitigated all of her scandals and when he was done, Jake just followed up with "Well, that failure is beating your boss in every poll."

Fucking mic drop.
WHY IS JAKE TAPPER SUCH A DICK

Barzul

Fucking mic drop.

Yeah right, did you notice the panel applauding him after that? lol

Iolo

Amen!

If you're ever feeling bizarro-nostalgic, I've long had the FreeRepublic Election Night 2012 live thread bookmarked. The mood starts off cheery and hopeful, and then it shifts very quickly..

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2956012/posts

They also had a duplicate live thread here:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2955604/posts

Been a few years since I've read 'em. I bet they're still hysterical.

One lesson from these threads is there is abundant anecdotal evidence in their eyes that Romney will win massively---"the longest lines in memory" in Republican precincts; tons of Romney bumper stickers at polling places; people wearing red in offices in California! Many here will not heed this on November 8th, but just keep in mind -- anecdotes are not data. (And neither are exits.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom