• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

this circle of women trump voters that were shown on anderson cooper are just some of the saddest fucks, seriously

get some self respect

Dierce

this circle of women trump voters that were shown on anderson cooper are just some of the saddest fucks, seriously

get some self respect

It is sick. This is the America that orange turd wants to see. These people want to normalize sexism, racism and every other form of prejudice that ails humanity.

Isn't that spelled 'sequins'?
tumblr_mnoy0iK0oj1ssd38uo6_500.gif

Joeytj

Banned
Utah could be this year's 2008 Indiana

Where it will go once and then never again. Just the right conditions at the right time to make it happen.

Indiana happened because of Obama's primary campaign there. Both Hill and him fought tooth and nail for Indiana during the primaries and they left a sturdy campaign structure and reached enough Dem voters to eke out win during the general. Obama also did better than most recent Democrats with white working class voters.

Utah is different, in that there's not enough demographic advantages for Democrats unless something else happens to the Republican nominee.

Like we're seeing right now.

KMS

Conway on CNN talking about turnout ignoring Hillary has an insanely large GOTV effort while Trump has almost none.

Teggy

Why does Trump always put his head at an angle to the camera when he interviews? It's just one of the many things he does that triggers me.

The reason I feel like AZ makes the most sense is because of its high number of Latino voters, Mormons, and college educated whites. Even though AZ Republicans are the most Trumpian of them all, I could see a collapse around the margins that Hillary could get a win.

Yep. Hell, I kind of wanna see a Texas poll right now.

odd that everyone is focused on Utah, that place is as white and red as it comes.

the bible belt though- GA/SC/MS/LA etc has a tremendous black population, and is only red because literally every single white person in those states votes hard R.

a significant decline in the evangelical vote (see above with the reuters poll) puts all of them into play immediately.

Hyoukokun

Why is open trade a bad thing?
Here's my take on the pros and cons as a layman. I'm very willing to be corrected by someone more experienced in these matters.

One of the challenges with free trade is that production of goods and services will tend to be outsourced to places that have the lowest overhead. That's fine in and of itself, that's how capitalism works - but oftentimes those locations achieve that low overhead by skimping on worker safety/rights, allowing child labor, ignoring pollution, and other unfair or unethical practices. They may suffer from corruption that makes it hard to stamp out those practices (regulatory organizations can be easily paid off, etc.).

In an ideal world the consumers buying the goods and services produced in this way would realize that their cheap goods are being subsidized by these externalities, and make more informed choices (perhaps opting to buy more expensive but more ethically sound products). In reality, many (most?) people do not, and instead make purchasing decisions based on the immediate price/utility trade offs they can see. Trade regulations can allow a government to put its thumb on the scale and force some of these externalities to be better represented in the price... but of course they are used for all sorts of other reasons (protectionism, regulatory capture, economic pressure on rivals) that may or may not be a positive for the consumers or other parties involved.

Getting the balance right is tricky, but I think that truly free trade is an ideal that doesn't play out well in the real world. It could work fine in a world with relatively standardized environmental and worker regulations across countries, but we do not live in such a world.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Conway is getting mauled, lol.

So dumb and untalented, imo.

Looks like she's signed on to this bullshit. Bye felicia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom