• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBS Nightly News went with "Trump Unshackled" and a bunch of really unhinged graphics of him for the lead tonight. As mentioned a day or so ago (by Adam at least, and a few other people), these nightly shows are how most people get the news. Most people don't watch CNN or pundits on TV; they just get the facts of the day beamed in and then walk away.

Trump really fucked himself on this. If he was able to be coached, and had competent staff (not great, just competent!) then they would have had him blast out a really harsh apology like an hour after that story broke. Really get out in front of it and verbally flog himself in front of the masses.

His staff probably didn't push for that, and he himself wouldn't have done it anyway. Here in fucking Mississippi, I've yet to meet anyone that even remembers that he apologized! They basically treated the apology video like it was shameful and hid it instead of making sure that it was included in every story about this from there on. Literally no one is talking about it; even the campaign's own talking points are about minimizing how bad the comments were instead of going the FAR easier route of "He already apologized, and in the Christian tradition, we move on once someone asks for forgiveness."

BOOM. Easy as fuck to say, but Trump would never do it.

Rick Wilson ‏@TheRickWilson 36m36 minutes ago

I have just seen evidence of the utter collapse of the GOP nominee in a red state. It will make News. Soon.

UTAH! Come on down! You are the next contestant in "Which state will shockingly go for Hillary Clinton or hell maybe Eggan McMuffin?"

Why is the GOP supporting Trump again? lol

Their wives and daughters and sisters are never going to talk to them again (as well as their sons and brothers who aren't pieces of shit).

Because Trump is exactly what the GOP actually wanted. He's just talking at a frequency everyone can hear and they're begging him to use the dogwhistle voice.

Because they have to and Trumps base IS the GOP

Paul Ryan's life is over regardless, why not go out pretending to be a good person instead of dying on your knees like a loser?

Like, the loser Colorado Republican Senate candidate reversed course on supporting Trump even though he has a 1% chance of winning this Senate election. Why? What do you have to gain from revealing yourself to be a piece of shit? You're going to lose badly regardless.

Amir0x

Banned
Very much so. At least when he's yelling nonsense he's so unhinged I can see that nightmare people finding it alluring.

Dont whine, take responsibility. Even if it is hard. Even if people hate you for it. That is way more attractive.

Somehow for the alt-right, whining has become a quality to praise. Tellin it like it is!

It's just amazing the position the GOP is in with less than a month before the election:

- The weekend was ablaze with speculation that GOP leadership wanted Trump off the ticket. Even if it was unfounded and impossible, the GOP and the Trump campaign is in such a mess it almost became a narrative.
- Speculation was even more intense that the VP wanted off the ticket, and still hasn't fully died down. Trump and Pence seem to have no working relationship.
- The nominee is whining and complaining about everything. The media, debate moderators, his own party.
- GOP Senators and Congresspeople unendorsed the nominee in droves over the weekend.
- The RNC head basically said "fuck it, do whatever" to staff with regards to doing campaign work on behalf of the presidential nominee.
- The nominee is attacking the party's house speaker. Speculation persists as to whether Ryan will ultimately unendorse altogether.

I know this post is just a mixture of old news and speculation, but it's just remarkable to step back and look at the situation the GOP is in this close to the election. It's incredible. How can a party in this state hope to win much of anything?

Clefargle

It's just amazing the position the GOP is in with less than a month before the election:

- The weekend was ablaze with speculation that GOP leadership wanted Trump off the ticket. Even if it was unfounded and impossible, the GOP and the Trump campaign is in such a mess it almost became a narrative.
- Speculation was even more intense that the VP wanted off the ticket, and still hasn't fully died down. Trump and Pence seem to have no working relationship.
- GOP Senators and Congresspeople unendorsed the nominee in droves over the weekend.
- The RNC head basically said "fuck it, do whatever" to staff with regards to doing campaign work on behalf of the presidential nominee.
- The nominee is attacking the party's house speaker. Speculation persists as to whether Ryan will ultimately unendorse altogether.

I know this post is just a mixture of old news and speculation, but it's just remarkable to step back and look at the situation the GOP is in this close to the election. It's incredible. How can a party in this state hope to win much of anything?

I know right!? It's so good I don't want to talk about it, like I'll jinx it or some shit. They deserve this train wreck and it's fun to watch it unfold in slow motion

Rayme

Here's video of the Texas rep hedging on whether a panchant for rape would be disqualifying for Trump..
https://twitter.com/TweTro/status/785995957431308288

This is pretty damn low.

I've only seen that clip, but that's kind of an unfair setup for whoever this guy is. Answering it straight gives the setup legitimacy in a way; I bet he tripped over his brain trying to avoid getting pinned.

Buuuuuut he should have been 200x quicker on his feet, and said something like "that's absurd, Chris, but of course I wouldn't [...]", etc.

EDIT: (Not that I'm saying it's an absurd question, just that his response was weak sauce even for his goals there.)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I dont know how anyone finds his whining attractive or presidential. It is a very lame quality.
Because his supporters see the same qualities in themselves, with the added bonus of Trump [falsely] portraying them examples of power and strength.

Winning Utah is not as relevant as winning the one House seat semi-competitive here.

McMuffin and Johnson need to not get any traction so that Utah Republicans don't go out to vote.

Revolver

I dont know how anyone finds his whining attractive or presidential. It is a very lame quality.

It's amazing how much he complains. I just heard him on Fox whining that Hillary was getting in his space at the debate and it was deliberate to make him look bad. This guy would stub his toe and cry the table was treating him unfairly.

It's amazing how much he complains. I just heard him on Fox whining that Hillary was getting in his space at the debate and it was deliberate to make him look bad. This guy would stub his toe and cry the table was treating him unfairly.

Bill Maher has been saying this all year

Piecake

Why is open trade a bad thing?

Its gotten hit with a powerful narrative that it primarily benefits huge corporations and the wealthy at the expense of the little guy. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Clinton administration did not acknowledge the dislocations that would happen with free trade. The Republican party has adopted that position of free trade of being an absolute good thing that benefits everyone.

Those views don't conform to reality because people can easily point to people and communities that were and are hurt by globalization and free trade. The failure to be honest and the failure to listen to these people and communities have resulted in a lack of trust and a dislike of free trade agreements.

If politicians were more upfront about the benefits and the costs, and what they would do to offset the cost (and actually do them), then I don't think trade would be as big of an issue. Politicians did not do that, so I don't think it is too surprising that there is now hatred and distrust of free trade agreements because the political rhetoric does not match reality for many.

Why is open trade a bad thing?

It isn't. Free trade has lifted millions out of poverty, and helps bring developing nations up to higher ethical standards if added to trade deals.

We distribute the benefits of free trade unevenly, but this is a completely separate problem. There is no world where we bring back manufacturing to historical levels; those jobs are automated at least to a degree as to make them insufficient for rural populations to survive on, and the remaining jobs in these areas like welding and machine work require technical degrees at a minimum. To combat the issues with distributing our wealth from free trade, we need:
1) Education to get more people in positions that will stay relevant for their lifetimes.
2) Better distribution of wealth in general so that more money is flowing through lower-income Americans (including people who are here illegally, because they're frequently more American than some of the assholes who were born here!)
3) Probably some sort of basic income.

To the 3rd point, if the US is going to be a service economy (it is), then places like the rural South will die and the people there will be screwed. Even if you're an accountant, or engineer, or professor, or doctor, or any of those good service jobs; if there's no one around to service, you're broke anyway. People in these places will very likely see the end of every career you could work in their living areas, and it's unreasonable to expect everyone to move to a suburb of a major metropolitan area.

It used to be that a manufacturing plant could be built anywhere and whole towns could thrive by filling them. Now those places are gone (and gone for good), and the people in those towns are stuck working part-time at grocery stores to make ends meet.

mo60

Yeah. I think Rick's talking about Utah. It fits with everything politics related that has been happening in that state this election season and since the weekend.It probably does not take much for trump's support to crater in Utah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom