• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Also, be careful of voting this year.
Ya know, I was gonna make a joke about "vague anguish" but then I kept reading all the other symptoms, and I just can't make a better joke than that.

It's no fun when right wing nutjobs parody themselves...

SD is not important. It's voting R.
Clinton will win South Dakota

silver-landslide-map-3.png

Believe

lyrick

NEWS OUT OF SOUTH DAKOTA

363,815 people voted in SD in 12. I don't think they cut it down by party, sadly.

The Ballot measures are pretty straight forward, but Amendment U is there to try and trick people into giving payday lenders any interest imaginable as long as borrowers agree in writing.

I421cAM.png

If there are any other South Dakotans reading, please don't vote yes for that.

Bowdz

Also, Clinton or Priorities should just blast that terrifying video about Trump rallies and supporters nationally. It perfectly sums up the atmosphere of the deplorables.

5 year old had his first drama class tonight.

Teacher: Now, I want all of you to pretend really hard that you're a bad guy, okay?
5 year old stands up: I'M GONNA BE PRESIDENT BELIEVE ME! : making a kissing face:

Mwahahahah

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People are posting pictures of white people holding the "Blacks for Trump" signs at his rallies.

Sibylus

Banned

Teacher: Now, I want all of you to pretend really hard that you're a bad guy, okay?
5 year old stands up: I'M GONNA BE PRESIDENT BELIEVE ME! : making a kissing face:

Mwahahahah

Oh my goddess. If you're not one of this kid's dads forever, I'll be so disappointed Adam!
bounty-wag.gif

DNC is incredibly dumb, though. Just talking about certain things that shouldn't be in an email.

Just low hanging fruit in some situations.

I'm no expert but I would blame their security habits first. Maybe if the hackers are really dedicated there's nothing you can do but it just seems kind of pathetic to be so heavily compromised.

I'm no expert but I would blame their security habits first. Maybe if the hackers are really dedicated there's nothing you can do but it just seems kind of pathetic to be so heavily compromised.
Security is definitely an issue. But the content is too. Not in every situation, but some yes. Especially the religious stuff. I remember awhile ago there were some Jewish comments too.

Carl Rove finally weighs in on the election, and he's offended:

"This was thinly veiled religious bigotry, not only against conservative Catholics, but also against evangelicals," former George W. Bush adviser Karl Rove told Fox News' Megyn Kelly on "The Kelly File."

A top spokeswoman for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign mocked Catholics and evangelical Christians in a 2011 email exchange exposed by Wikileaks this week.
foxnews.com

"They mock deeply held beliefs. They mock the idea that two conservative Catholics would have their children baptized in the same river where John the Baptist baptized Jesus," Rove added. "I mean, this is really amazing that they would mock them. What Christians wouldn’t consider it a blessing to be able to afford to baptize their children in the Jordan River? This is so insensitive … I’m gonna say that it’s insensitive, but it strikes me that it really borders on bigotry, religious bigotry."

Get fucked, Rove.

Such religious intolerance for catholics from a devout catholic. The campaign isn't going to do anything because they aren't going to continue to validate these emails.

But it's great that Republicans are so offended by a campaign staffer when they have endorsed the literal definition of a religious bigot who isn't even devout himself over a woman whose faith has influenced her life tremendously.

But to be honest who gives a shit what evangelicals think?

royalan

Hard to hold out against the resources of a nation state tbh.

Exactly.

It's not like it's some bored college student hacking the DNC. Can't really be mad at them here, especially since the hacks still haven't turned up anything too damning.

Anybody want to guess what Republicans are talking about via email? Judging by their politics, I don't want to know.

If I hear another moron on TV say "we could have been talking about X if not for Trump" I might just jump off the tallest building nearby. Who the fuck even says that? If it hadn't been for every big news event in the history of civilization we'd be talking about something else, no shit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Mwahahahah

That kid is a legend.

Joeytj

Banned
Wow, these emails are so tame it's ridiculous.

Somebody posted a Twitter essay a few pages back, from a reporter saying that there's really nothing big in those emails, but the point is to make it seem like very "fuck" and every "stupid" in those emails is a controversy, or that it's ok to peer into the private emails of a campaign manager. Politico is trying to squeeze relevance out of them each day.

It will only plausibly work if that's the only thing that becomes news from here until election day, although if it becomes the only news, it will quickly be proven that there isn't much there. And of course, whatever Trump does is truly worse and just steals the attention away from them. They also, stupidly, think that by releasing one batch a day will somehow hurt HIllary, when the reality is that they no longer become news, and a lot of the "controversial" stuff in them is only controversial to certain groups at different times.

The Catholic stuff is tame shit. A spokesperson for Hillary in 2011 said something about rich Catholics conservatives and how they don't value democracy like other Catholics. Hillary's deplorable comments were actually "worse".

It's all just a show from Wikileaks.

Going negative is nothing new. Look at what they threw at Obama in 2008 for starters. The problem is that people believed in him and liked him so it bounced off and never hurt his personal likeability. Clinton does not have that going for her at all. Everything just reinforces the negativity surrounding her.

Somebody posted a Twitter essay a few pages back, from a reporter saying that there's really nothing big in those emails, but the point is to make it seem like very "fuck" and every "stupid" in those emails is a controversy, or that it's ok to peer into the private emails of a campaign manager. Politico is trying to squeeze relevance out of them each day.

It will only plausibly work if that's the only thing that becomes news from here until election day, although if it becomes the only news, it will quickly be proven that there isn't much there. And of course, whatever Trump does is truly worse and just steals the attention away from them. They also, stupidly, think that by releasing one batch a day will somehow hurt HIllary, when the reality is that they no longer become news.

It's all just a show from Wikileaks.

The sad and extremely scary thing is with any other candidate these leaks would dominate the news cycle and sink her. Luckily I don't think the Russians would do this for another GOP candidate

HylianTom

Banned
I'm guessing that if the Clinton campaign finds any of these leaks truly troubling, they'll drop their own Trumpy goodies to draw the media's attention elsewhere.

royalan

The sad and extremely scary thing is with any other candidate these leaks would dominate the news cycle and sink her.

I don't think so.

Email hacks have dominated so much of this year's election, I don't think that many people really care at this point.

Especially since the hacks are so blatantly one-sided.

I think an indignant response is the best route here.

"I'm a devout Catholic. Have been all my life. I don't recognize these emails and I'm not dignifying them with further response. Thank you."

I wonder if the numbers for debate #3 will be in the tank compared to #2 (and definitely #1). I'm sure a lot of people (including me) are tired of watching the fascist cheeto speak and just want to vote already. Knowing this fuck is going to go as low as he can go is just... barf. On the flip side there is always the chance that Clinton will just slaughter his ass and it will all be worth it but idk. I think a lot of people are also pissed off at the questions that have been asked. Unbelievable that we will only get one section on race through three whole debates and not a single question on LGBT+ issues if Wallace's questions are anything to go by.

I can see why Team Trump thinks dragging this election deeper and deeper into the mud will disgust people enough to not vote but it's significantly more likely that most people just can't wait to destroy him. I wish MO had early voting.

edit: I don't think anyone actually cares about these e-mails anymore or even knows that these leaks are still happening. If I didn't browse this thread I would be clueless.

Going negative is nothing new. Look at what they threw at Obama in 2008 for starters. The problem is that people believed in him and liked him so it bounced off and never hurt his personal likeability. Clinton does not have that going for her at all. Everything just reinforces the negativity surrounding her.

Except people really hate Trump, and his temper tantrums have only being appealing to his core base of supporters.

PBY

Banned
Honestly

the DNC Catholicism stuff sucks. Its really shitty, especially as a Catholic. Paul Ryan's statement is bullshit, but its also true.

You can't sideswipe a group like that - attack their methods, policies, etc. but come the fuck on.

Boke1879

the RNC emails would probably be terrifying to read. maybe it's best america doesn't see them.

At this point emails have been hammered that I think people have become desensitized a bit to it. I honestly think at this point it's in the same basket as you SoS emails, Bengahzi etc. Like people just view it as the same thing at this point.

And clearly it's one sided as fuck. It's amazing they aren't even trying to be fair and at least leak some RNC shit. Which lets be real. Probably contains some vile stuff.

the RNC emails would probably be terrifying to read. maybe it's best america doesn't see them.

I don't even want them to be released. It's amazing that there are a decent number of people and journalists for that matter that were horrified with the NSA but are OK with private email hacks. Now I don't think we can ignore what's in the emails just like I don't think Sterlings racism should be ignored even though he was illegally recorded

Barzul

People just dont care about the emails anymore. If they wanted people to care they shouldn't have harping about them for what 2 years now? The average voter is probably bored of them by now.

Honestly

the DNC Catholicism stuff sucks. Its really shitty, especially as a Catholic. Paul Ryan's statement is bullshit, but its also true.

You can't sideswipe a group like that - attack their methods, policies, etc. but come the fuck on.
The person who wrote it apparently made a statement saying that quote was a bit out of context and she's Catholic herself. For what it's worth.

PBY

Banned
People just dont care about the emails anymore. If they wanted people to care they shouldn't have harping about them for what 2 years now? The average voter is probably bored of them by now.

Sure.

I kinda wish we'd just agree that they're shitty, instead of rushing to deflect.

Joeytj

Banned
I wonder if the numbers for debate #3 will be in the tank compared to #2 (and definitely #1). I'm sure a lot of people (including me) are tired of watching the fascist cheeto speak and just want to vote already. Knowing this fuck is going to go as low as he can go is just... barf. On the flip side there is always the chance that Clinton will just slaughter his ass and it will all be worth it but idk. I think a lot of people are also pissed off at the questions that have been asked. Unbelievable that we will only get one section on race through three whole debates and not a single question on LGBT+ issues if Wallace's questions are anything to go by.

I can see why Team Trump thinks dragging this election deeper and deeper into the mud will disgust people enough to not vote but it's significantly more likely that most people just can't wait to destroy him. I wish MO had early voting.

edit: I don't think anyone actually cares about these e-mails anymore or even knows that these leaks are still happening. If I didn't browse this thread I would be clueless.

Yeah, that drop in viewership for the second debate probably means that the third will drop even more, to about 50 million or less.

I took a peek at the email "live blog" Politico has up about the 5th batch of Podesta emails. It's all just so lame.

I mean, come on, it's news that they had a converstation about Chelsea's mother in law?. There aren't even as much curse words as one would imagine there would be in this political environment.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT THAT NYTIMES BREAKING NEWS.

Barzul

Honestly

I'm catholic also, what exactly was in them? Seemed like a whole bunch of nothing from the reporting I'd been listening to, maybe bc I'm also sick of hearing about emails.

Edit: Like I haven't read the text of the emails at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom