• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Will someone in the GOP say "The american public has spoken and we need to look at our strategies so that we grow closer to the american electorate"?

Have they ever said something akin recently?

Doubt at this point it'll be said publicly, but I'm sure in private this is being said. But this again this is the same party that learned NOTHING from 2012 and went further off the deep end.

Assuming Hillary wins with Obama 2012 + NC, she gets 347 and Trump just barely goes over 190. Add that with a potential 6+% difference in the popular vote, the GOP would get utterly demolished this year.
Considering 347 was Obama's best case scenario in 2012, I'd be a little disappointed if she didn't do a bit better, but I guess at that point it wouldn't matter much for the final result. Most of the downballot targets are in blue states.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Is 2012 recent?

About 4 and 8 years ago, yes.

So they learnt fucking nothing. I don't expect them to recover in '20

Doubt at this point it'll be said publicly, but I'm sure in private this is being said. But this again this is the same party that learned NOTHING from 2012 and went further off the deep end.
This leads to the big conundrum: the GOP's best chance of taking back the presidency is to go moderate, but their base wants someone who's batshit crazy.

Paskil

My hot take:

Trump loses town hall mock debate.
Donald Trump was soundly defeated by Donald Trump in a dry run, of sorts, of the upcoming second presidential debate. In order to prepare for the upcoming debate, Trump brought in a friendly audience to a mock town hall debate in Sandown, New Hampshire. Unfortunately for Trump, he never saw his opponent, Donald Trump, coming. Trump brutally savaged Trump with it being pointed out that Trump avoided most of the questions and gave answers that lacked substance and didn't address any policy plans. It remains to be seen if Donald Trump can recover from his loss in time for his debate on Sunday with Hillary Clinton.

PPP Ohio

HRC: 44
DT: 43

In Head-to-Head

HRC: 48
DT: 47

Taken from Oct 5-6

Hillary now up to 87.1 on the NowCast
I refuse to believe Trump is crossing over his ceiling of 44. 45 maybe, but 47? nah.

But then, that statistic about Ohio's attitude toward female president...

Boke1879

Lol David Axelrod thinks that Trump team couldn't get him to prep for debate, and this was the closest they could get him to prep.

He might not be wrong. We already know they were having informal talks about the debate over lunch. This seems like this was a his prep. I don't see how he has time to prep when he does 3 damn rallies a day.

CuIPPILVIAEkMqg.jpg

Trump's "Hillary is not preparing for these debates!" thing is just such a massive self-own.

He's getting creamed by a dying old woman who never practices according to Trump himself.

Iolo

Will someone in the GOP say "The american public has spoken and we need to look at our strategies so that we grow closer to the american electorate"?

Have they ever said something akin recently?

The guy who wrote the autopsy on what went wrong in 2012? Reince Priebus.

tuffy

Intensive debate prep is literally beyond Trump's comprehension. He simply can't envision anyone working so hard to get better at something.

Holmes

On Sunday he's probably going to memorize some lines to say during the town hall, sort of like how someone will just cram everything for a test the night before. It won't go well.

In any competition, knowledge of your opponent is fundamental.

I always thought Trump was trying to figure Clinton up. Like I always thought the things he said about her were bombastic for his supporters but in reality he had some underlying strategy (wrong as it was).

But he IS an idiot. He knows NOTHING about Clinton, and doesn't care to learn more about her. He is so arrogant that he thinks that only by standing up and saying idiotic shit, he can beat her. He does believe he won the first debate, it's not just a pr strategy bluff. The commentary about HRC not prepping is useless. It won't intimidate HRC, it won't create any narrative since Hills just has to upload a picture of her working hard to counter that.

He really thinks he is unbeatable. Months of Clinton not doing public appearances have lured him into a false sense of security. Clinton is pounding the road, working the people and walking the walk. And she is beating him. But he thinks she is sleeping somewhere

mackaveli

I always thought Trump was trying to figure Clinton up. Like I always thought the things he said about her were bombastic for his supporters but in reality he had some underlying strategy (wrong as it was).

But he IS an idiot. He knows NOTHING about Clinton, and doesn't care to learn more about her. He is so arrogant that he thinks that only by standing up and saying idiotic shit, he can beat her. He does believe he won the first debate, it's not just a pr strategy bluff. The commentary about HRC not prepping is useless. It won't intimidate HRC, it won't create any narrative since Hills just has to upload a picture of her working hard to counter that.

He really thinks he is unbeatable.

It worked before so he thought he had it in the bag. I wonder how hard Hillary is working compared to trump and the other republican candidates. Like how much prep time Hillary spends on reading issues policy and campaigning compared to jeb Rubio trump and Cruz. It looks like those guys didn't even work hard to try and win like Hillary.

Hillary going to be a great president.

Iolo

Along those lines, Republicans spent so much time convincing themselves Obama was an empty suit that they were stunned when it came time to debate him.

He really thinks he is unbeatable. Months of Clinton not doing public appearances have lured him into a false sense of security. Clinton is pounding the road, working the people and walking the walk. And she is beating him. But he thinks she is speeing somewhere
The best part is that his little thing tonight gave Clinton team a ton of material to work with, like how he behaves in a townhall (even if it's a bootleg townhall), his body language, mannerisms, etc.

Emarv

"She is resting". Jesus. No words.

Really love how much CNN he watches. Knows John King's whole career and whatnot. Glad that a presidential nominee is so focused on the real knowledge needed to be POTUS.

kevin1025

Banned
"She is resting". Jesus. No words.

Really love how much CNN he watches. Knows John King's whole career and whatnot. Glad that a presidential nominee is so focused on the real knowledge needed to be POTUS.

The best part: John King has Inside Politics for the next little while, proving Trump doesn't know what he's talking about.

so you think Hillary takes a dig about the mic during the townhall.

It'd be nice to ask him if he's satisfied with the mic, but that would probably be considered collusion or some other nonsense.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Checking PoliGAF in the middle of my bachelor party because I can't really relax without some Hopium. Glad to see some better Ohio numbers.

Based on that PPP poll, the tax issue is hurting Trump. Keep beating that drum then queen.

Based on a number of polls, actually. It's funny: I listened to the post-VP debate pod on Keepin' It 1600, where Favreau rightly pointed out a slew of actual polls that show that the tax issue hurts Trump, and then right after, I had to cut off the post-VP NPR Podcast Politics right after Sam "Utterly No Instinct For Political Analysis" Sanders and some other dude were talking about how they don't think voters really care about Trump's taxes.

Like come on people, at least know something about the polling on this issue before you give bad analysis on your podcast.

I just realized something. Last weekend my wife and I went to her parents house. For the last couple of weeks when we'd visit, her dad would always mention stuff Trump wants to do in order to convince us to vote for him.
Except this time he never asked my opinion of the debate. Or said anything about Trump. Hell he didn't even bother to say his normal snarky remarks about Hillary.
My brother in law asked if I watched the debate. And answered yes. And he quickly says, "it was fucking bullshit." I couldn't help but laugh. Neither he nor my father in law said anything else. And I'll be damned, that I now just realized they both had a sort of defeated look on their face.

This time though, I plan on watching the debate with them. I want to see both of them eat crow for all the shit talking and gloating they've been doing since August.

I clarified a Trump comment about immigrants and poison and got yelled at by a Hillary supporter.

That's only happened with Rubio, Trump, and Bernie supporters prior, our fans are passionate enough to yell at random people doing minor fact checks now, we've made it.

mo60

I refuse to believe Trump is crossing over his ceiling of 44. 45 maybe, but 47? nah.

But then, that statistic about Ohio's attitude toward female president...

He's going to be above his ceiling in some swing states but it won't matter much if he gets destroyed in the more populus states like CA,NY,MD and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom